Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I've given up on putting anything but plain text into Lync. Fire up a notepad window, paste there, copy again, paste into Lync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nexxai posted:

That's a bit of a mischaracterization of how their business works. Bezos purposely re-invests nearly every penny back into the business rather than taking a profit. It's not like if he changed his mind today that Amazon wouldn't be ridiculously profitable by any metric.

It's not quite as clear-cut as you make it out to be, Amazon trades at a whopping multiple to operating cash flow and EBITDA as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I get a bunch of multi-megabyte files e-mailed to me daily, and once in a while I'll have to go pick something out of one of them. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to address the cause of that, but even in this relatively extreme case it's not that big of a deal. I just create a PST with a date on it, fill it with large e-mails until it hits 5 GB or so after about a quarter, then dismount it from Outlook and create the next PST with the next date on it. As others have mentioned, having those kinds of records will help cover your rear end sooner or later.

That said, I've never archived a single e-mail that doesn't have an attachment, and I can barely notice the impact. Nothing is as useful as having everything searchable in one place.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sneakers/trainers just look less professional when dealing with clients/users/whatever, it's not totally unreasonable to want an employee to wear something else. There are plenty of black or brown rubber soled shows that basically feel like sneakers without making it look like you're coming back from a jog.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

And if you're typing a message where there might be confusion, change at least that string to a terminal font that makes the difference obvious.

code:
0O0O0O0O0O

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Had a user IM me (via OCS '07 :v:) with a known problem. I told her it was as such, offered a work around that may or may not help. She declined, saying

"No need, My intent is for my complaint to be placed in your daily tally of problems."

:what:

If a ticket isn't logged, how is management going to know that it's a problem that needs dealing with? If you offer the user a workaround and refuse to log the issue, it won't be possible for some manager to say "such and such has generated an average of x tickets per workday, which represents y time spent at $z cost" when justifying the software upgrade, overtime, or whatever else it takes to address the underlying issue.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Not sure where you are getting that I 'refused' to log the issue. User was being a bitch, she calls/has other people call for her about this issue a couple times a week, sometimes I hear from her more than once a day. She knows this is a known issue, she knows there's basically nothing I can do for her besides one 'fix'. She just complains to complain.

I don't know the user's background or personality, but from your original post it simply sounded like the user - politely - wasn't interested in troubleshooting a known issue and just wanted you to take down the fact that she was having an issue. I don't know how you guys do things exactly, but in most organizations if management is looking at ticket stats, it may trigger more of a response if an issue is generating repeated tickets, tickets from multiple users, etc. To her, "I can't do anything for you" probably sounds more like "IT isn't willing to allocate the resources needed to properly resolve this issue unless I make some more noise about it".

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 25, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Who the hell opens a ticket, and then leaves the country for a month?

:commissar:

"Pending - user out of office until 1-1-15"

Set yourself an Outlook reminder, and don't think about it again this year.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jeoh posted:

We have the option to suspend the ticket (and thus the SLA) until the user returns.

It's 'pending' in our ticketing system. The ticket should have some sort of status you can set it to that stops the clock on the SLA timer.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FireSight posted:

Am I the only one who liked doing helpdesk stuff?

Most of it is no big deal (although mostly uninteresting), but then there are the users and issues that make you want to take a long drop from a short rope. And when you're on help desk, you have no choice but to deal with those dumbass users and no first line support to insulate you from the worst of the madness.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

m.hache posted:

Well, I can't use Mail chimp because the list of emails they gave me are so out of date that it sets of alerts on Mail Chimp so they refuse to send it.

I guess it's back to manually sending them out. 1500 left.

No third party solution required:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849925.aspx

e: If you're running into problems from sending messages too often:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849939.aspx

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 11, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Probably just wants to find a low key job for his salty years.

I think I'm going to be a PC tech(or whatever the equivalent is 20 years from now) when I retire. Not out of any desire to keep my hand in, but just so I can have something to do that keeps me busy and I don't give a poo poo if I get fired or not.

We've got a guy like that, doing desktop support because retirement was boring. He knows his poo poo, doesn't stress about the job, and is great with users. The powers that be keep trying to promote him, but he just likes walking the halls and interacting with people.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe no one told them about quick edit mode.

To piggyback off this a bit, is there ever a reason to use 'cmd' over 'powershell'? I only mention it because it defaults to quick edit mode anyway, but just in general isn't it the same functionality and then some?

I think I may have answered my own question when I typed 3 letters instead of 10 though.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

m.hache posted:

So I was told to come in today at 11AM for a 4 hour shift. You know, light duty. Was pumped to get to sleep in, enjoy a coffee and chill with the pup.

Nope.

8:30 AM I get a call from the boss. "My router is acting up. Go buy one now. Also get my son a Gaming mouse".

It's loving Xmas eve. I do all of my shopping a month in advance so I don't have to deal with the poo poo show that is last minute shopping.

Buy both on Amazon, e-mail him the tracking information.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

m.hache posted:

Well the wireless in the house does need to work so she can remote in to do pays before the end of the year. So yes, it is still my jurisdiction. She does not have a wired connection to work with.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Buy both on Amazon, e-mail himher the tracking information.

It will easily get there by the end of the year. Then you can give her the phone number to her ISP's tech support. Her Christmas toys are not your concern.

Mostly though, update your resume and get the hell out of there.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Koskun posted:

I can see it going either way, doormat really easy, but if this is a one time thing, it could just be more "hey, do me a favor" rather than "do what I want slave".

From his other posts, he will get fired/replaced if he doesn't comply with these inane demands. That doesn't sound like "hey, do me a favor".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It must be awfully cathartic to project say-no-to-my-boss.txt fantasies but telling someone to do poo poo like order from Amazon on Christmas loving eve is really dumb you guys.

How do you figure? The business need for the router is 'before the end of the year', it will get there in time. Her wanting the router set up today so she could have 'wifi for the Xmas presents they bought' and anything at all to do with her son's gaming mouse shouldn't really even be dignified with a response, but if he's going to be professional about it he just needs to explain that neither of those are in any way relevant to his job as IT support for the company.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jadeddrifter posted:

If they are upset about it they may want to talk to a lawyer. Then they know their rights and can decide if they want to something about it or not.

It's likely a waste of time. There are very few "rights" as far as workers are concerned in most states short of getting fired for being black or something. I don't think there's a single state that requires even a day of vacation time (a few do require some sick days for what it's worth), and being salaried is not going to make a difference. The vacation days you do get are completely subject to company policy and there are no laws or regulations that would prohibit your employer from specifying the days you have to take them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

thebigcow posted:

We don't roll vacation hours into the next year. My boss has a story about the last place she worked where they did roll over everything and when one old guy quit he had roughly half a year worth of hours that they had to pay out.

Why would that be a problem? If they were accruing those charges accurately, it wouldn't affect their bottom line in the year of the payout and it should have been listed as a liability all along so it wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. If the issue was the cash hit, said company needs to get its poo poo together.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jadeddrifter posted:

Has microsoft fixed the stability problem with PST files being over 2gb?

It's mostly a non-issue once you upgrade past Office 2007. I still wouldn't go over 5GB or so (limit is 50GB) just because it's a bitch to repair them if there is a problem (and problems are increasingly likely as the size increases).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I had Kathlene Hunt at my last job on the new hires list, I looked up at my boss and he's just like "welp, full first and last".

We just go with First.Last in the first place. It just doesn't seem worth the effort in the first place to abbreviate to FLast to save typing a few characters. Especially since you now have to figure out who JSmith32 is instead of John.Smith3.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's a way to take unpaid time-off without employment repercussions.

While that part is legally required, it's not likely to be true. Using FMLA time off is a good way to get your role transitioned and yourself let go for what are of course completely unrelated reasons.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You don't have to make it nearly that complicated. Let users know that you are not responsible for any files they don't put on a network share, and at the first sign of malware (or hell, any configuration issue that takes more than a few minutes to troubleshoot) just rebuild the computer. If your environment is set up appropriately you can just PXE boot when the user leaves for the day and it'll be good to go in the morning.

Sure, it takes more time for the computer to do this, but don't look at it that way. It takes less of your time (not to mention effort) that could be spent on productive stuff that affects more than a single workstation.

e: Post got in between - referring to the virus scanning USB setups folks were referring to upthread.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 12, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

Get in today, and in less than 4 hours I got TWENTY profiles migrated over

Now figure out how to script it, get the whole environment done before lunch, and really come out a hero.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

gently caress that - read the last couple pages, if you learn anything in IT it's that the more you do, the more people EXPECT you to do, whether it's part of your job or not

At which point you can move on to your next, better paying job with the skills you've developed. Not picking up new things because you'll be expected to use them sounds like a good way to go nowhere indefinitely.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Moey posted:

No one seems to care what I do at work.

If the actual work is getting done, why should anyone care?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I do this all the time. Then he calls behind me and pesters them for HOURS until they accept it; not because they believe his lie, but because they're probably just sick of dealing with him. I'm just not that kind of person. We didn't get the extended warranty, the device is broken in such a way that warranty won't cover the repair, poo poo happens, deal with it.

I'm not going to compromise my own self-respect and sense of worth so the company saves any amount of money.

I wonder what his hourly fully loaded cost is, and how much money his effort will ultimately save.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

I applied for a job. At a financial institution. That works closely with the government and military.

How hosed am I? :ohdear:

You're fine, just don't expect things to move too fast, and cross your Ts and dot your Is.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I can't even imagine what it would take to secure that sort of system, especially on the budget they have. Perhaps theoretically if they could build everything from scratch they could put in some level of security, but an organization like OPM just has to have tons of legacy nonsense that isn't even compatible with modern security practices and would take millions of dollars and thousands of hours to migrate. And even then keeping out what is likely multiple teams of dedicated, full-time admins who are assigned to get into a database like that ... well, the results aren't surprising.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket came in from a one of our regular product support (read: NOT Managed Services) clients:

Can't they just run it in single user mode and assign rights to the necessary domain account(s)?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I've never really tried anything other than spiceworks, which failed to get off the ground here. It's not bad, as you've seen, it's just that we have literally a dozen other systems we have logins for and adding another wasn't helping anything.

There are ticketing systems that don't integrate with AD? If that's the case, definitely don't use spiceworks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Agrikk posted:

So $8, 000 to stand up a database cluster and a monthly $1,000 to support it.

Does this sound reasonable, considering I'll have to pay self-employment taxes and whatnot at 40%? Too much? Too little? What am I failing to consider?

All hardware, software and licensing fees to be provided. I bill just for labor and maintenance.

Call up some MSPs and get quotes on the systems you just described (while being vague enough not to give away the client). Use that as a baseline.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

What's the best place to look for job postings these days?

Dice and Indeed seem to best for searching for stuff, but maintain a LinkedIn profile so recruiters come you as well.

MJP posted:

Day 1 post-raise bomb.

So did they give you anywhere near what you asked for?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If you're a single-income household, is there anything preventing you from relocating? Widening the net might get you better results. I don't recall if you've said where you live, but there's a serious shortage of decent IT people in some parts of the country.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Danith posted:

What parts? I'm sorta interested in moving to a different state, but I just bought my first house end of last year so maybe it's just a dream for now.

I've seen it in DC and Austin.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday we were the target of a spear-phishing attack that was an email to an accounting VP that looked like it was from the CFO forwarding a request from the CEO to wire money to a bank in HK. I asked her "How often does the CEO request wire transfers to China?" and she said "Well I guess just that one other time."

THAT ONE OTHER TIME WAS ALSO A SCAM. :shepicide:

Isn't that kind of spear-phishing attack a good sign there's someone co-habitating on your network? Or did they just get the relevant information from public sources?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

This has nothing to do with IT, but a challenge came in.

We're starting a Biggest Loser competition here in the office next Friday. I'm kinda pumped because I'm easily the fattest guy here, and therefore I'll likely be winning a cash prize. I have been meaning to lose weight recently.

Don't they usually go by percentage of weight lost?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gilok posted:

I mean the right solution is obviously "don't use windows XP" and this is an opportunity to really push getting everyone updated to 7.

Seriously, at this point just disable the boot partition of anyone still using Windows XP. Call it a security update if anyone asks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hihifellow posted:

A phone call came in... my grandmother saw the "Update to Windows 10!" dialog box and clicked it, and is now utterly helpless.

I really should get her a chromedesk.

I don't really get how people get confused by changes between operating systems since Windows 7. If you already know how to do something in Windows 7, 8, or 10, you know how to do it in the others - hit the windows key and start typing. I literally have no idea how to get to the control panel the "correct" way in Windows 10*, but it doesn't matter. Hit the windows key or click on the start menu, type 'control panel', and what do you know, there it is.

*I actually tried to poke around to find it, and failed. I would assume somewhere in Settings, but that apparently that's not right.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not every keyboard has a Windows key. There's some kind of fetish lately for downsizing keyboards or something; I keep finding ones with the Windows key and the numpad lopped off.

Sometimes I come across a keyboard without a menu key, and it makes me sad.

• Locked thread