Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone with access to the playtest rules want to talk a bit more about this? I'm kind of hesitant to chuck in at $15 if it's not going to be particularly innovative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My print copy of Hillfolk just arrived and it's absolutely gorgeous. I so couldn't believe the print tier was only $25 in the UK (I'm so used to $15-20 shipping costs) that I actually thought I'd only pledged for the PDFs, and so spent a frantic ten minutes trying to find out whether I'd bought a backup print copy and just forgotten it, or if I somehow had a mystery admirer who's eerily aware of my tastes in RPGs. :stare:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yes, quoting them so they appear twice on the page will certainly help.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I feel really sorry for you if you're the kind of person who's going to spend money on plastic tits.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My copy of The Agents arrived this morning (I'm in the UK), apparently shipped from Israel, which was slightly puzzling at first.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, that's on mine too. The cards are made of plastic or something, I think? Which is weird.

I'm not hugely bothered by it, to be fair.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cassa posted:

Last Stand's physical shipments.

PM Mikan and see if he can help you with shipping info - all of the Last Stand books should have been shipped by now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm a little worried that the guy they have lined up for the DW conversion isn't anyone who's done DW stuff before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, those actually got sent out, finally? Good to know, I'll be able to use them for Netrunner next week hopefully. :getin:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Doctor_Shadow just linked me this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wordstudio/project-dark

On the one hand: it's Thief: the RPG and isn't shy about it. It looks interesting, even if the cheatsheet looks pretty horribly packed with text.

On the other: Will Hindmarch's last KS I backed (Always/Never/Now) ended up delayed a lot, although it did eventually make it out. More importantly, there's no rules preview at all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mikan posted:

That first part doesn't bother me so much; many RPG kickstarters are one person jobs and the delivery date is often fairly arbitrary.

Yeah, that's why that's not a big deal for me as having 0 rules preview. You don't even get one for pledging, there won't be beta rules released until after the KS is over. That's nuts.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

InShaneee posted:

The wording on his backer levels is a bit unclear, but if I'm reading this right, the Paper Books level (the first level offering the physical book) just gives you a coupon to buy the book at an unspecified price/discount? That seems awfully strange if that's the case.

This is the new way that US indies are going to be doing print books from now on, pretty much. You can thank the USPS price rises.

Basically, you pledge an amount to the KS which is equal to the RRP of the book minus an anticipated print cost if you'd bought it PoD via DTRPG. You then get a coupon that discounts the book RRP on DTRPG by everything except the print cost, and have to pay shipping yourself. Since DTRPG have facilities in both the US and UK and ship commercially, it works out cheaper for everyone involved than if the designer shipped books himself from the US and included the shipping in the KS pledge. It also means the designer doesn't have to handle the vagaries of international shipping themselves (no having to pack and send a thousand books, no risk that USPS will push through another random price hike in six months that will leave you out of pocket $5 per copy, etc.).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My Futuristic Metal Coins just arrived (I'm in the UK):

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Carteret posted:

I didn't get this email, and there is no mention on Kickstarter's front page. Are you getting hosed by a phisher?

It's completely legit, but I have no idea why they haven't sent emails out yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

I understand why it works for you to do it that way, but I don't think anyone's seen that structure before and its going to really trip people up. Be prepared for people a month from now to be very upset about not reading that section properly. I predict headaches all around.

This is far from the first Kickstarter to do this, actually.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

Oh, my mistake. I just haven't seen any. I predict some headaches but fewer than before.

Yeah, it's no doubt still going to lead to that (from people who didn't read the post or didn't spot the difference between the pledge level and final price in the rewards section), but it's basically the new standard for indie games, now that USPS has made shipping internationally from the US prohibitively expensive.

It's also nice because, like Dagon explained, it means not having to ship books to people yourself (thus avoiding the headache of storing them, shipping them and having to ship extras when some copies are missing).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The vast majority of stuff I backed has arrived, and a bit more than half of that was either on time or barely late (like, 2-4 weeks), so KS has worked out pretty well for me. My main problem is that I need to stop backing cool indie RPGs that I'll never get to play because my group sucks and doesn't want to play anything non-traditional.

In order of when I backed them:

Stuff that actually arrived:

Always/Never/Now (PDF, 1 year late)
Mobile Frame Zero (PDF, on time)
ndp microgames #2 (PDF and print, on time)
Parsec (PDF, 1 month early - I'm effectively unable to get this now because the download link they sent out was taken down, so when I lost my HDD I lost the only copy I had)
Full Moon (PDF, 1 month early)
Dog Eat Dog (PDF, on time)
Last Stand (PDF, 5 months late)
Dungeon World (PDF, on time)
Hillfolk (PDF 3 months late, print 6 months late)
Bohemia playing card deck (physical, on time)
One Shot (PDF, 2 months late)
Boss Monster (physical copy, 6 months late - they happily resent me a copy when the first one got lost in the mail)
The Skies Over Danbury (PDF, 1 month late)
Fate Core (PDF, everything delivered on or ahead of schedule)
Ehdrigohr (PDF, 4 months late)
Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide (PDF, 5 months late)
Futuristic Metal Coins (physical product, six months late)
The Spark RPG (PDF, on time)
Machine of Death (physical copy, five months late)
Inverse World (PDF, 6 months late)
The Agents (physical copy, 1 month late)

Stuff that hasn't arrived yet but that seems on track for an eventual release:

Dragon's Hoard (physical copy, ETD July 2013, 8 months late so far)
Eclipse Phase Fate Conversion Guide (PDF, ETD December 2013, 3 months late so far)
Pirate World (PDF, ETD February 2014, 1 month late so far)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 1, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azhais posted:

Looks like $135 to actually receive a hard copy?

The Kickstarters are pretty much just for the super-deluxe editions. It's not something you should pledge to if you just want the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ettin asked me to post this for context - here's what he's thinking of making the $100 tier:

Ettin posted:

$100: Gimmick Tier (X total)
As well as all the benefits of the Art Tier [game+stretch goals+you get to decide what one of the art pieces in the game will depict], I will write up a PDF of a Retrocausality adventure based on your request. It can be as detailed as you want, and you get to decide whether it’s released to the public or becomes our little secret.
(Total cost is approx. $104.60+shipping for softcover or approx. $109.70+shipping for hardcover, see FAQ for details.)

The total cost is because this will most likely be done via DTRPG PoD using coupons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

I pledged for Wicked Fantasy because of the Dungeon World stretch, but only after the stretch goal was actually unlocked.

Same here. It's what I would probably have done for Iron Edda if the dude writing the DW rules had any design experience with DW - I don't think he's made anything PbtA before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

without a lot of effort.

Yeah, this is the kicker. It's totally possible to fit pretty much anything into Fate or *World as long as you put the effort into writing a real adaptation of the fiction to those rules frameworks, but people so seldom do it because it's so much effort. Wicked Fantasy just involved race moves and a couple of CCs (written by Sage/Adam), so that was guaranteed to not be too bad. Iron Edda has fiction that is so different from Dungeon World (you're Norse warriors magically fused to the bones of giant skeletons to fight giant dwarven robots! i.e. it's Norse fantasy mecha instead of D&D) that it won't work as supplemental material - you would need to rewrite the base moves to make it work.

If the stretch goal isn't "we'll write a PbtA hack based on this, it will be due out at least six months after the current game," that's a sign that the people doing it probably don't really get how PbtA works.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Mobile Frame Zero looks like it could be a fun way to combine lego, spaceships and tabletop wargaming, three things that are very cool in isolation.

That's Alpha Bandit. "Mobile Frame Zero" usually refers to Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack, which is the mech one.

If it's anything like MF0, it ought to be pretty good!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It has to make all of its money handling packages, because that's the only thing that it can actually charge for

It shouldn't have to make money, it's public infrastructure. :argh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jmzero posted:

The KS for Catacombs has done really well, and there's now tiers that include the expansion (Caverns of Soloth), as well as add-ons and tons of stretch goals met and generally just lots of Kickstartery stuff.

I don't think I'll spring for the expansion yet (I'll see if I like the game first; at this point I'm pretty sure it'll make its way to retail), but if you are more confident there's certainly a lot of options and stuff to look at now (and some of it will be KS exclusive).

$145 for the full thing is too pricy for me (I'm in at $55, plus $15 for postage), but the art and a few friends recommending the first edition are seriously making me consider going all-in. :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Yup. I got mine a few weeks back. Very solid production values and including all (core game) stretch goals, even. I posted some impressions over in the boardgame thread but I don't think anyone paid attention.

Repost/link to them here, I'd be interested in knowing how the game turned out just for curiosity's sake.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

malkav11 posted:

It's kind of long so I'll just link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493657&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=657#post427193450

That was based on one game and I haven't gotten to play it again since, so grain of salt.

Thanks! From what you mentioned, it doesn't seem terrible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

e: I just looked at the KS again, where did someone get $145 as their cost for this thing?

It's the cost for getting a copy of everything in the KS, including the two KS-exclusive expansions and the add-on characters. The base game (and stretch goal stuff that isn't the expansions/add-ons) is $55 +$15 for shipping.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 17, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I Kickstarted the original Agents and it's pretty good. It's nothing amazingly deep, but it's a pretty fun "take it out and play half an hour to kill time" game where you have to put some actual thought into your moves if you want to win.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Go RV! posted:

What do you guys think of The Agents? I'm a sucker for the theme and art here, and it's pretty cheap, but how does it play?

You start with a few agent cards and a couple of mission cards. Each player has two safehouse cards that are shared between themselves and an adjacent player (so one shared card per player pair). You have two actions each turn, which can consist of either playing a card (agent or mission), buying a card (agent or mission), or activating an agent that is already in play (using their special ability).

Each agent card has a special ability at the bottom, and 1-2 black or white half-arrows at the top. Agent cards are played on a specific safehouse card, and a safehouse card with all the attached agent/mission cards is called a faction. You can play agent cards with the special ability text facing either yourself, or facing the player who shares the faction with you. The person who has the special ability text facing them has to do the action that's listed on the card.

The safehouse cards all come with two black half-arrows and two white half-arrows on them (one of each on either side of the card). At the end of your turn, you tally up the number of completed arrows facing you and get points (IP); 1 point for each mismatched arrow (black/white halves) and 2 points for each matching arrow (all black or all white). IP is also the currency that is used to purchase agent or mission cards.

Mission cards are special condition cards that you can attach to a faction, with rules like "there are two identical agents side-by-side." Mission cards have an IP value listed on them; as long as the condition is fulfilled, you get the IP listed on it at the end of each of your turns.

The first person to get to 40 IP wins.

As you can no doubt tell from this, the aim of the game is to play your cards intelligently so that you can both use the agent special abilities to your advantage and use them to take away the other players' advantages to screw them out of their points. Since they only get points at the end of their turn, each player is trying to rearrange the order/facing of the agents that are in play so that at the end of their turn they're the ones who get the most points. Since IP is both scoring and currency, there's also an element of judging when to spend your points to best effect, and how much to spend.

The game isn't deeply strategic or anything like that, and a lot of it is going to be down to whether or not you draw an agent with a special ability you can actually use to your advantage at any given point, but it's definitely a fun little game to play in the span of 30-45mn that requires a comfortable amount of tactical thinking to win at.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Actually with the new rules you can't force another player to do the action on an agent you play.

That's... really stupid. The reason the rule exists is so you can try to play agents with bad rules text facing an opponent (like "kill an agent in your other faction") to force them to gently caress themselves over. Taking that away would remove some of the actual tactics required to play the game. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

And there's never a good reason to kill one of your agents? If so I guess I'll play with the classic rules since that does sound stupid.

There are good reasons to kill agents in your own factions, like breaking a chain of three cards with completed IP arrows by killing the middle agent, or killing an agent so the other player who co-owns that faction can't use their special ability on their turn. Generally, though, you would benefit more from simply flipping that agent than killing them. Playing a "do something bad to your other faction" card against an opponent is just something that should stay in the game rules.

One of the problems is that kill effects are more common than effects that can be used to heal an agent (you can only do so with the Medic agent or by "abducting" the killed agent, i.e. picking it back up) and factions are limited to a maximum of five agents each with dead agents counting against that limit, which can lead to endgame situations where you can no longer play an agent into one of your factions because they're both full and you have nothing you can use to fix that.

On an unrelated note, since buying a single agent costs 1IP and one of your two actions per turn, you're sort of punished for playing all your cards (it leaves you with very few options, especially since there are some agent cards that are played as instants instead of being placed in factions). The game would probably benefit from a "draw an agent for free at the start of your turn unless you already have 5 in hand or 5 total across your factions" rule or something.

Those are pretty much my only two complaints, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 8, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Can you think of cards that your opponent will never play its action on themselves if they have the choice?

Like I just said, kill effects are something you don't want to perform on yourself 99% of the time. Extraction effects are also not normally something you want to play on yourself/your own faction.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

That's not at all what you just said, but okay.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Generally, though, you would benefit more from simply flipping that agent than killing them.

One of the problems is that kill effects are more common than effects that can be used to heal an agent (you can only do so with the Medic agent or by "abducting" the killed agent, i.e. picking it back up) and factions are limited to a maximum of five agents each with dead agents counting against that limit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay. To be 100% clear, then: the only situations in which killing an agent that belongs to one of your factions is a good idea is if it's either the only way to stop the person who shares that faction with you from winning, or if you have a guaranteed way of un-killing the agent and your play 100% relies on no one being able to use the agent you killed (so turning it is out of the question unless you know no one has turn effects) and you couldn't have simply extracted the agent instead.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 8, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd be surprised if Orcs Nest is still around because of any kind of genius. The place is basically a closet that stocks some of the more popular boardgames/RPGs and a pretty small selection of miniatures, but it's the only LGS in central London.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:laffo: how the gently caress is it possible to get so much right with the armour design on the dudes and get so much utterly wrong on the women?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bosushi! posted:

Roman Polanski's trangressions don't even get brought up in every review of his movies.

This is a pretty bad example considering that the fact that Polanski is a child molester is pretty important when it comes to deciding whether or not you want to support him, and therefore reviews of his films should bring this up.

Also probably not the best person to compare someone whose biggest failing is "is a big of a dick" to.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 17, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Dumb question - why would I pick digital deluxe instead of softcover?

The print tiers give you a coupon to buy the print version at cost from DTRPG, so basically all it is is that the softcover and digital tiers are the same price on the KS.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 25, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Ok guys, I'm a week out from the Spirit of 77 kickstarter, and I could use some feedback.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/528951018?token=09457270

Check it out and tell me if anything is confusing, missing or otherwise hosed up.

Seems solid. There's a rules preview, the tiers are clear and that video owns so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PresidentBeard posted:

I prefer if early birds are based on time not based on number of backers. Things like first 2 weeks is cheaper.

This is literally impossible to do on KS.

• Locked thread