Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Hey, leave Anne Murray out of this. She's an international treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

My hometown already has to live with bringing the world Gary Cooper, Stephen Ambrose, Bobby Petrino, and L. Ron Hubbard. We're full up for now.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s especially funny since the Mets haven’t played a game in 3 weeks

I like how the Mets have such a cursed aura that they're inadvertently loving with other sports leagues. :mets:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bip Roberts posted:

What's currently the cheapest way to get espn, tnt, nbatv, and local sports fox sports affiliate to get local nba team + the national games?

Do you have a relative/friend who still pays for standard cable?

I traded my parents my Hulu and Netflix logins for their Spectrum login. I don't get some boutique sports (motorcycle racing, T20 cricket) that I end up paying for directly, and I pay for an MLB.tv subscription for Mets games because I live well out of market, but overall Hulu+Netflix+cable+ESPN has me covered for most things.

TNT/TBS has some hosed up CDN poo poo, tho, and trying to stream thru their app and Airplay to my TV is often a lost cause. I'll pirate a lot of NBA games just to avoid using the lovely official apps.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

sportsgenius86 posted:

He’s my new favorite for rocking the Kenny Omega shirt

Oh hell yes. That guy has good taste all around.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It's also worth noting that TNT's streaming service is extremely bad, and their iOS app is abysmal. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose some viewers from the cord cutting contingent like me who either stream from a 3rd party site or skip the game entirely.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

His apology used all the right words in the right order, tho.

https://twitter.com/TurnerSportsPR/status/1197172214367506432

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Meanwhile, the biggest game in Montana college football all year was a no-show on any streaming service last weekend. Apparently they had watch parties at bars around the country, but I'll be hosed if I watch the one college ball game I watch every year with people who actually FOLLOW Montana college ball.

Cats won, tho :3:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

BRUTALITY.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHY DO THEY DO A loving CUT WITH EVERY SENTENCE THIS IS ON A TON OF INTERNET VIDEO STUFF AND IT DRIVES ME INSANE

Yeah, it's obnoxious. I don't know if it's a case of limited coverage, so they're cutting together a bunch of unrelated footage to make something mostly cohesive, or if it's a time savings so they can cram more content in by cutting out the "blank" space between sentences. Or maybe something else? I dunno, but it's the talking head equivalent of a music video with really good choreography, but you can't track it because they cut every 1-2 seconds.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Grittybeard posted:

He's doing a pitch on Friday Night Heights or whatever the women's gymnastics show is called on SEC Network. The gist is he wants to 'go hang out with the ladies' and watch 'scantily clad girls.'

That's the shot.

The chaser is him doubling down and saying, "Gonna stay at home and watch gymnastics," like he's comping on a cigar, raising his eyebrows up and down, and saying, "giggity."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I've recently started enjoying driving around listening to the Blazers broadcasts on AM radio, so this makes me sad.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Niwrad posted:

At some point a league has to get smart and realize no one under 35 is paying for cable. I would think that would be baseball that is slowly watching their audience die off, but I guess not.

Except MLB.tv’s streaming offering is consistently high quality in terms of technology and support for various devices, proper pricing, and is granular enough that this PNW dwelling cursed Mets fan is okay with whatever they just charged me for another year of streaming my team losing.

Like, I’ll stan forever for MotoGP’s streaming service, because it continues to be the gold standard, but MLB is a surprisingly close competitor.

Also MLB’s public API is super fun to play with if that’s your kind of thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Elitist Bitch posted:

MLB.tv is great if you live out of market. If you're in market you're screwed. I'm not going to rig up proxies etc to watch the loving Mariners. Talk about cursed.

Ugh, yeah, I like that I live on the opposite coast from my dumb team.

You have NO idea how salty I was when I went to load up a Timbers/Sounders match in Seattle and my TV geolocked me out of it. Actually, you probably do...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

MourningView posted:

ESPN doing sportscenter with no sports instead of just constantly running World's Strongest Man and pool during the day like they did when I was in middle school is infuriating. Give the people Magnus Ver Magnusson and The Black Widow, you bastards. My days are sad enough right without Stephen A hollering at me about why Tom Brady should have gone to the Jets or whatever, I need some roided up freaks pulling airplanes

I hated college, but I still miss staying up late with the guys watching strong men, lumberjacks, and The Black Widow :allears:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

abelwingnut posted:

i just checked my fios guide and HOLY HELL THEY ARE AIRING A WORLD TETRIS CHAMPIONSHIP gently caress YES

They run those at the Retro Gaming Con in Portland. If that’s your thing, HIGHLY recommend attending when we’re not on lockdown.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Island Nation posted:

OC is actually good at his job though

OC doesn't try, but James Cipperly busts his rear end for wrestling.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Holy gently caress, as someone who is actively losing it that the Masters is going to be allegedly run in loving NOVEMBER WHAT THE HELL EVEN JUST CANCEL IT THE FLOWERS AND poo poo WILL BE ALL WRONG WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS, I need that ‘86 rebroadcast in my life.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

xbilkis posted:

I saw Tony Reali from Around the Horn mention this, but I think the sports figure that would work best as the subject of a long documentary series would be Vince McMahon

He's maybe the only person where I would ask the question "Man, would 10 hours even be enough to cover everything?". Plus WWE is a rare thing where it's got a solid cultural presence but the average ESPN viewer wouldn't already come in with a knowledge of most of the details. Lure em in with the Attitude Era, keep em around for decades of cartoonish megalomania and corporate malfeasance

I guess getting enough people to go on the record while he's still alive might be tricky though

I would watch the hell out of that. Wrestling history is fascinating enough that I actually own several books on it, and I don't even watch WWE more than a couple times a year.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Henchman of Santa posted:

Livestrong bracelets were the most ubiquitous accessory in the country during the 2000s. He was a huge deal beyond sports. Also the doc is very good so far.

This. He was more of a symbol of overcoming health problems through athletics than a pure athlete, in terms of public appeal. I mean, he was sponsored by the US Postal Service, that's not small potatoes. Livestrong is his actual legacy, for better or worse.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bip Roberts posted:

Jordan absolutely is not as popular today as he was in the 90s.

He also hasn't embarrassed himself in public...amazingly. His publicist must be amazing.

I work near Nike, and the stories I hear from Nike people are hilarious. Apparently he's a lot of fun to be around, but he's also wildly unpredictable.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Willow.tv emailed me yesterday to say live cricket is picking back up again. Honestly, aside from the crowds, there aren’t many sports that support social distancing like cricket. That said, if they’re planning on holding CPL T20 this year in the Caribbean without crowds, they might as well not bother. 360 Party Baseball without the party is no one’s idea of a good time.

Tonight’s UFC card is dire. MMA goons had a talk yesterday about whether this is the worst main event ever, and it’s definitely bottom five. The entire main card is devoid of named talent, and the only fighter on it who I’ve followed with any regularity, Andre Filli, isn’t even ranked. It’s a bad event and the UFC/ESPN/WME should feel bad for airing it.

(Now watch as every fight ends up being a barnburner and I have to retract that statement.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DJExile posted:

I get that even without a pandemic, the 4th of July weekend isn't exactly a big sports TV weekend, but woo boy...

There is so much to unpack here.

Oh wow. My mom may end up watching ESPN on purpose for the first time in her life.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

soggybagel posted:

I would really love a documentary about Nike’s partnership with Weiden+Kennedy. They’ve literally defined athletes images and really outside of a handful of individual plays in games are some of the most defining images of players from my youth. Like Deion Sanders highstepping into the end zone is match with Dennis Hopper screaming about Deion’s shoe as the paranoid ref.

That sounds Portland as gently caress.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DJExile posted:

MLB Network is experimenting with some new broadcast styles.

Wait, so you're telling me I have to sit thru two Mets games with no Gary, Keith, or Ron?

Pass.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Caribbean Premiere League T20 cricket is back! My favorite bowler, Rashid Khan, is also back! But not playing for the Guyana Amazon Warriors because life is pain :smith: But he is playing today for the Barbados Tridents, so that's yay.

It's on Willow.tv if you've got a subscription or your cable account carries it. This year is gonna be really weird without crowds. CPL is "the biggest party in sport" for a reason. Seems like they're piping in crowd noise, drums, and vuvuzelas? I'm not sure if that's ambient in the ovals or edited in post.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It’s been a crap week, but I can get it up for F1 at Spa.

Did you know, sometimes it’s raining on one side of the track, but totally dry on the other?
(goonsay, but it’s sportsbroadcastersay)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Dislike. The Masters is the Super Bowl of golf, and y’all are preempting it for minor league NFL.

Sorry if that’s uncharitable to college football fans, but indulge me in some salt since I know all of our sports have been shitwrecked this year.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Sash! posted:

Last year, the third round had 9 million viewers. Alabama-LSU had 16 million.

If I'm selling TV commercials, I know which one I'm giving priority.

That's fair.

I'm just mad about sports in general and felt like griping.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

IV: Just Blade Runner cut for TV

Too bad she won't live!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Sash! posted:

I learned about it when I signed on to AOL and it was the main story on the "Welcome!" pop-up.

I was working as a receptionist with a lady whose desktop background was Dale's car when it happened.

It was a dark day at the office.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The optimal configuration is to have boomer parents who pay for terrestrial cable, and share their Spectrum login, while you, the adult child, pay for HBO and an ESPN/Disney/Hulu plus package, and you swap logins.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

shyduck posted:

Having an NHL streaming subscription in central NJ is infuriating. I'm blacked out of games involving the Flyers/Devils/Rangers/Isles. That turns out to be a lot of games. I have workarounds but drat never again

Ugh, yeah. The one local sport I follow is MLS, so getting blacked out of Timbers and Sounders matches is some bullshit. It even checks my actual physical location to be sure, not the location of my parents' cable account (nothing is blacked out in Montana; we don't have pro sports there). Oh wait, there's also the Blazers, but I usually have to pirate their games anyway because they're not always on cable to begin with.

At least I only get blackouts of the Mets when they play the Mariners at T-Mobile Park. Wait, it's T-Mobile Park now? WTF?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah I used to do something similar with my parents but the sports networks and MLB Extra Innings are getting wiser to things.

True, I can't get any RSNs outside of my parents' region.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

General Dog posted:

I don’t think Jim Nance would’ve been cancelled had he said that, everyone just would’ve scratched their heads and said “what they gently caress is he talking about?”

Upon review I guess that’s what Bill is saying too? In any event, what a magical hypothetical. Maybe Dennis Miller can call The Masters next year.

You know Simmons thought that up the night before and ruminated on it all night in bed. "Yes, this reference, it's so good, so stealth. I am a genius."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

There's still some good writing on The Ringer, but if you only follow the twitter feed you'll probably miss it as they shill the same podcasts again and again and again

That reminds me, I need to take it out of my RSS aggregator. I don't mind the podcasts, but gently caress if I want to open what looks like an interesting read, only to see, "So and so and what's his face talk about it!" and an audio link.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Dexo posted:

That video had been circulating around for at least a year. Everyone probably knew about it, if not saying anything

Nu Deadspin literally wrote an article about how someone was peddling it.

https://twitter.com/MicahSharon2013/status/1411691916270260226

Are there seriously 4 names on that byline? :psyduck:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1414591146173640706

Ariel teed off on ESPN.

This is one of those things where I don't disagree with what he's saying but it's a bit rich when it's coming from him.

Ariel's a true fanboy of the sport, and you can interpret that statement in any way you want without altering it in any way.

Dexo posted:

(old man yells at social media)

lmao

lol, digging up I see.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Adun posted:

I never used an English name instead of my very obviously Asian birth name even though I moved here in elementary school. I'll never forget going a pretty senior interview and being told at the end by the guy interviewing me that "my English was a lot better than he expected".

Stephen A said some stupid poo poo but I didn't really read it as anti-Asian. He probably would've said the same poo poo if it was a Spanish-speaking player that used a translator. Calling for the guy to be suspended/fired is just stupid. Let him show contrition and learn from his mistakes.

I don’t read it as specifically anti Asian, so much as anti English speaker and anti introvert. Like somehow someone isn’t a complete sports star, or a draw worthy of marketing, if they can’t verbally spar over a press conference.

Shades of Naomi Osaka here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

MourningView posted:

HQ was a smart show that pretended to dumb, Max is a dumb guy who thinks he's smart, seems like a downgrade to me but who can say what the people watching ESPN at 1 pm during the workday really want.

The only time I ever watched mid day ESPN was when I went to the gym on my lunch break. Now that I work from home and don’t go to the gym, I encounter about 300% less Stephen A on a regular basis. And this is good.