Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

The Draugr guy is OK, it's his elf companion in that inn who's got the most grating voice and fake accent I've ever heard. I wince whenever she opens her mouth.

Haven't come across any actual quests involving Interesting NPCs. I just love installing the mod that lets you be a bard then rolling around the map performing all over with the egotistical bard from Dragonsbridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Hothtrooper44 posted:

It will be 12 quests long. There is no dungeon built for this mod. This is not a standard draugr romp, but instead this quest chain will lead the user to all the places, people, and quests that already exist that explain who Talos is - and then do a task related to the specific part of Talos they just learned about. By the end of this quest chain, the user will see just how deeply ingrained Talos already is into Skyrim and really feel like they have done justice by him after Skyrim turned their backs on him. There is a cool twist at the end too.

Sounds very Morrowindy.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Gilg posted:

For Frostfall, how important are the cloaks and the cloak mods it recommends (Cloaks of Skyrim, Winter Is Coming)?

scamtank posted:

Not required. The mod itself comes with a few flavors of cloaks you can whip up for yourself in the Survival Skills crafting menu, but even they aren't that essential for survival.

I didn't realize Frostfall has its own cloaks, since I added the two other cloak mods. They add some nice variety so they're worth it I think.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I'm getting the itch to get back into this. Might go with a fresh install since I know a lot's been updated; I know I don't have the latest SPERG for instance. I'll go through my Nexus download history and see what's been updated, but are there any good mods that have popped up since, oh, September?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

SkyUI/MCM question: I never had any trouble running it before, but after nuking my whole install to start fresh, now it shows as running in-game but all the menus are still vanilla. Where should I start looking?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Did you install SKSE?

... I downloaded but didn't yet install SkyUI, it turns out. :doh: Should seriously not mod first thing in the morning.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

How does Dance of Death work these days with SPERG + Immersive First Person View? I see the latest version of DoD adds perk requirements for unlocking some moves, and I've found that IMPV gives you killmoves from the first-person perspective, at least as far as being killed, which I still find way more satisfying than the game popping out to 3rd person to kill me.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

BeerMarket posted:

Unless you level up a perk in a specific skill you will be useless at that task.

I like that idea. Haven't felt the need to stray beyond SPERG as my only major overhaul but I might try that sometime. As it is, I've made combat pretty challenging by bumping up the difficulty beyond what I normally do and venturing into dangerous areas at a low level, and using a combination of Locational Damage, Deadly Combat, Battle Fatigue and Injuries, mods that don't let potions heal instantaneously as well as a pouch mod that stores potions separately and sheathes your weapon when you use them, forcing you to put some distance between you and your enemy before using potions; and Immersive First-Person View, which makes the actual mechanics of combat feel more like controlling a physical body and less like a floating sword and shield on a swivel. Fights are fast and frantic and I have to strategically retreat often, and I feel like combat is something I as the player will have to get better at rather than just watching numbers attached to my character get bigger.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

I've been mulling what other NPCs could be made into followers. One shortcoming is I have no idea what vanilla unused dialog is out there to make it worthwhile. One that jumps to mind is Brand-Shei the embarrassing "last" of the Telvanni.

That or some npcs representing some of the under represented races. There's very little beastfolk followers, and I think no? Altmer. Theres like three redguards or something and only a handful Britons.

For Redguards I'd like to see the one in the Dark Brotherhood and maybe the leader of the pack looking for that chick.

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, that old Orc who is looking for a good death.

poo poo, I like that idea. I think Orcs are my favorite followers.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

This is the 900th time I have sought a good death. Will you give me a good death?

*two hits*

*Draugr Lord is dead*

You did not give me a good death.

I will make it my mission to take him to Sovngard at the end with me.

"... Eh, close enough."

Berke Negri posted:

Ondolamar the justicar at Markath who hires you to track down talos worshippers may be another good one. There's like, zero thalmor followers and few evil ones.

I wonder if it's possible to have a FONV style system where a follower will leave if you get too good or too evil.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

These extra animations that went up recently add a nice touch -- opening doors and containers, putting on armor, crouching to loot bodies and so on. They force you to sheathe your weapon so no more looting the guy you just killed while his buddies patiently wait. Goes real well with immersive first person.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51554/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rabhadh posted:

Is that sensible female armour mod still around or did it get taken down when the guy got banned?

I think the Heroic Body is its spiritual successor

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34213/

You can use the armors without actually using the body replacer I think. I really love the female-ized version of the male Ancient Nord Armor, but I don't know if I'll encounter it in game to pick up since Immersive Creatures replaces draugr drops with variations on the armor.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

My immersion is augmented :smaug:

You'd think forcing first-person perspective on horses would be poo poo like in Oblivion but I'm finding it makes mounted combat a little easier.

Peering over my orc bard-barian's shoulder with lute, sword and quiver visible.

Entertaining the inn with a classy instrumental version of the chicken dance. No joke. Though for some reason Become a Bard isn't showing up on the Nexus right now, even though I downloaded it just the other week. Any idea?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mustang posted:

Has anyone used SkyTEST Realistic Animals and Predators? Seems pretty interesting. Just looking for a good animal mod in general.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10175/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D10175&pUp=1

I found in terms of animal/bandit interaction, it turns Skyrim into Far Cry 3. In other words, it owns.
e: on the other hand I saw a whole orc settlement get slaughtered by a pack of sabercats because some other NPCs wandered through and left the gate open :(

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mustang posted:

You just sold me on that mod, sounds badass. Do towns like Riverwood ever get wiped out by animals?

Not that I've seen. It would depend on where he put the spawnpoints, if he added any additional, I forget; but in Riverwood's case it would just be wolves. Who actually are tougher now, now that I think about it.

I'm most impressed by the random bandit/animal fights I come across in the wild, though that's often bonemold-clad reavers fighting gigantic "tundra spiders" so obviously there's more mods at work here. I don't know if RAaP applies the new behavior to creatures added through, say, Immersive Creatures, or if the fights are just a result of the world being more populated.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rabhadh posted:

I'm looking for a mod that adjusts weight to be more realistic/difficult. No more hundreds of potions and all that. While on potions, any mods that prevent you from just stopping combat to down a few?

There are much simpler ways of doing this but I love using Capacity* and Encumbrance, and Functional Bags. Capacity lowers your carryweight limit to be more realistic and treats armor and weapons in your inventory differently depending on whether you have them equipped or not, simulating worn gear vs. stowed gear. Functional bags lets you craft wearable item-type-dedicated satchels and bags (one for potions, one for ore and so on), with items stored in them counting against your carryweight a little less when you have that container equipped. You open the containers by hotkey and, in the case of potions, can then use them or transfer them to your regular inventory. When you use them from the bag interface it makes you put your weapon away, so using potions is more strategic and risky. There are wearable bag mods too but they just provide a straight carryweight buff.

Between the two my carryweight ends up being around 150, but it fluctuates based on injury and needs mods and how many satchels I bothered to craft and equip. Capacity takes a little getting used to because it recalculates every time you equip or unequip something and may leave you momentarily encumbered, and when you're really loaded down you have to equip your heaviest weapon just to be able to walk. (And there's something hinky going on with a new wood elf character I rolled last night, where her starting capacity is in the 20 range and keeps getting recalculated lower and lower even when I drop things from my inventory. That definitely shouldn't happen and hopefully is just a fluke. I'll re-roll tonight and see if it duplicates.)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Anyone have any experience with Stormcloak Battle Armor or Call of the North? Loving those bear and wolf helmets, but when I got Battle Armor and crafted the helmet on a female character, it equips the female version of the Ancient Nord Helmet. (edit: both genders are set to use the same model in the CK so that's not the problem.) It looks right when I give it to a male companion. It reminds me of when on my previous mod suite (since purged) some weird incompatibility made some mod-added hoods default to the nord helmet depending on what else I had equipped or what order I equipped stuff in.

Going to try CotN next but it's not clear on whether I can craft the stuff right out of the gate.

e2: took me forever to figure out, the idiot hadn't checked orcs as a race that can use them.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 14, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Alasyre posted:

Skyrim (armor) belongs to the Nords!

Adding the race permission worked for one of the two ancient nord helmet-based bear helmets, the one that didn't show up at all and just made me bald, but the other one still shows up on me as the female version of the helmet, with big dumb antlers. So that must be due to some big dumb conflict, but I can't find anyone else ever having the same problem.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Agents is right, Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade (Kryptopyr's, not the original one from Headbomb) is the one you're looking for. It comes with an upgrade level spell that you can activate at any time through the MCM.

How much do you really need to get the recommended mods to go with it?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Scyantific posted:

I definitely recommend Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade and Clothing and Clutter Fixes as they fix a few inconsistencies. SPO isn't really needed if you're running something like SPERG.

OK, got CCOR + WAFR + CCF + the various compatibility patches and so on, and placed them in the recommended order. Everything's great except chopping firewood now no longer adds firewood to my inventory.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Convenient Horses mostly works for me, but I can't get the harvesting-while-riding functionality to work (and possibly the charge move

I think all you have to do with the charge move is have your horse be sprinting and run right into a guy. It should bowl him over and chip off a bit of health. With enough tweaks from mods to make horseback fighting actually viable it turns out it's pretty OP since no one can hit me. Can't wait for someone to mod in horseback bandits. (There was something but it's pretty old and probably outdated, never tried it.)

My problem with CH is the fast dismount doesn't work for me. I have it set to always go off but it doesn't, and when I bound it to the "/" key, that just brings up the perks screen.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Naturally Selected posted:

Poisoning bitches left and right. Pretty sure it's in the vanilla too, so if your sneak's high enough you can sneak up to enemies/naseem/guards and throw paralyzing/frenzy potions in their pockets. Or just fill 'em up with those useless 3-damage poisons that you find everywhere.

Isn't there a mod that adds exploding poisons, so you can reverse pickpockit people and blow them up like in New Vegas?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Welp, guess my videocard isn't quite up to the High Resolution Packs (Radeon HD5770, 1 gig) - after dropping into total slideshow mode way too often, I reverted my modset back to pre-Immersive Patrols/Organized Bandits, reloaded the last save before I headed off to Ivarstadt, and *surprise* poo poo still stuttered.

Chopped the HR packs and Unofficial Patch, very minor stutter, mainly when autosaving. Re-enabled everything but HR, loaded a save just before Bandit's Cove (where there were a *bunch* of OBIS bandits, and where it got silly-slow), and no problems.

So, in celebration, I dropped in about 20 more assorted mods I'd been saving (mainly more weapons/armors, Apoc and Thunderchild, a few other things) and started trudging along the coastline north from Solitude. :v:

Still need to add Immersive Creatures and Realistic Animals, though. Also, does Complete Crafting Overhaul play nicely with SPERG?

I've been trying several different texture packs and I think what I really need is one that changes all the vanilla textures just for the sake of variety but aren't actually any bigger/are optimized. There's a clothing/armor/weapon retex and a creature retex by the same guy that claim to be optimized, but I haven't seen anything like that for outdoor landscape.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

What are THE audio mods I should be using? Weapons, armor, music, ambient, whatever, it doesn't matter, as long as it makes Skyrim feel "fuller".

I'm interested in hearing about weapon and magic sound replacements too. For extra music I use Fantasy Soundtrack Project, which grew out of the Fantasy Music Overhaul I used to use. The stuff it adds fits pretty well, though for a mod that boasts 10+ hours of music I find the same stuff popping up a lot.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Try using the resurrect command on it along with enable, then use prid (that formid) then moveto player.
Edit: do not use resurrect 1 variation: that resets the resurrectees inventory. :)

Basically move the horse to you rather than vice versa.

Ps: don't store poo poo on your horse. :p

Ps edit: your uusername / glitch combo is astoundingly great. :)

Either I don't read readmes closely or it's an unannounced benefit, but I liked, for convenience sake, when I found out Convenient Horses makes my horse inventory accessible from any horse I ride. Both of the Whiterun stable owners were killed in an OBIS bandit attack so I just console-commanded ownership over the horse hanging out in the stable because hey, free horse, right? Then I downloaded Gypsy Eyes Caravan and Thuse also came under my ownership, so I can ride either and they share my inventory pool.

Then I started another character for variety's sake and at some point find Thuse all by himself outside a mod-added tavern in the mountains north of Solitude, rather than hitched to the caravan outside Markarth. Weird, but it came in handy when I needed some mobility to kill three bounty hunters who came after me for stealing a spoon or whatever.

:skyrim:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Entropic posted:

I think Dawnguard is the first time the compressed scale of the game world has really bothered me. This secret vampire clan has been hiding out for hundreds of years without anyone knowing... in a big-rear end castle can you can clearly see from the shore just down the coast from the capital city?

You'd think they would have at least added a rumor about the castle on an island to the north to every single NPC's dialog.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Hog Butcher posted:

Oh yeah, SPERG bug report. I did a skill Legendary and lost the Good Listener perk's effects.

I have Skytweak involved which may have been the issue, but it also let me fix the issue.

edit: SkyUI-Away makes SkyUI constantly complain about incompatible SWF files. Can I stop this and make them play along?

SkyUI has an option to turn off those warnings for different categories. I have to turn off the map warning to use Warburg's paper map. It's under the last item in the lefthand window.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

SoylentCola posted:

I'm getting a great bug with the Riverside Lodge. Every so often I get a Dragon spawn in the lodge and I have to battle it while it thrashes about and trashes my book shelves.

Best game ever.

Oh my god I want video of this so bad

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

scamtank posted:

Man, OBIS is a mess. At least I managed to fix the invisible bandit masks and take the BOOK OF BANDITS out of every single thug's loot tables.

How'd you fix the mask? I know it used to work and was surprised it stopped.

zonohedron posted:

I can appreciate the scale of it - I don't actually know how far I am into it, but there's been a bunch of different areas so far, and visually it looks really nice, if a bit claustrophobic in places. I am just so thrown by the quality of the text that I had to wonder if I was expecting too much and this is about what I can expect from mods that add new areas full of NPCs and quests.

(I guess this is a... half-endorsement? If you can read something that looks like it was typed too fast and never proofread and not have your blood pressure go up a point for every typo, I can enthusiastically recommend the mod; if you can't, I can't.)

Typo fix patch
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51556/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

scamtank posted:

I didn't really "fix" it as much as I uprooted every mention of masks from the OBIS files and then made the references in the bandit helmet tables point to the working ones in FaceMasksofSkyrim.esp instead.

The original .esp had Armor Addon and Texture Set information for every mask while the OBIS data only had the Armor category definitions. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm guessing IndigoBlade accidentally deleted records between versions. If you hadn't said that it worked before, I would've just thought he just slapped something together without thinking or testing anything.

Pretty sure it worked before. It was a previous Skyrim installation with pretty much the same set of mods as now. I just know I had OBIS and I know I had bandanas that actually showed up on your face.

---
Content: I've found another mod that looks great with Immersive First Person, Pseudo Parry Animation, since it's a third-person only animation and IFP makes third-person act like first person. Really IFP might be my number one mod suggestion at this point, since it's such a great touch to not only see the rest of your body in first-person but also things like seeing your shadow. I can't stand going back to vanilla first-person, it's actually jarring at this point to see your weapons float on either side of your head and to not organically move your head a little when you walk and even when you stop walking.

I only regret I had to stop using the animation mod that makes you open doors and crouch to search bodies and so on, since eventually it bugged out and made it impossible to talk to my followers. I think he said the next version won't work by attaching scripts to objects so hopefully that fixes the problem. And I need to find a new sneak animation, since the one I use now is a little jerky.

I'm also considering adding these two mods that remove the [EMPTY] text from containers and that remove the lock level text, for what will probably be an irritating level of verisimilitude. Or I could just turn all UI off with SkyUI, haven't decided.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

:allears: Ooooh, information please? (Even though I probably can't stuff in *another* lootlist, I already have ridiculous amounts of poo poo.)

I was so disappointed that the teleporting rear end in a top hat draugr's bow that shoots ice spikes doesn't actually shoot ice spikes, so something like that would be rad

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Hog Butcher posted:

What bothers me is when I find a nice vivid one, play for a bit nodding in approval, and go into a cave, immediately dumped into a world resembling Oblivion as played through Doom 3. My current one doesn't seem to have that issue. :v:

I've had bad experiences trying to run ENB so I've settled for things like lighting overhauls, eliminating indoor smoke, and Imaginator. Really happy with the results:

though some interiors, mostly mod-added and some vanilla caves, are super blindingly bright and fuzzy if I don't turn Imaginator's bloom effect off.

The Mad Archivist posted:

Alright everyone - I'm gearing up to finish and publish the NPC-to-follower compilation I've been talking about for months now. It's going to be another big mod, incorporating my past mods (Anska/Heimskr/Nazeem) along with a couple stand-alone followers I've made as well as suggestions, and I'm still hunting for more suggestions!

I love orcs so I want more orc followers. There are only a handful in vanilla and almost no mod-added ones. My first thought is Lash, after the deliver her mom's sword quest. I imagine she'd be up to some aimless wandering and adventuring after getting the message not to return home. (edit: someone earlier suggested the orc who's looking for a good death, so I hope you included that guy already.)

More bards too! Talsgar would be a great choice. He already has a lot of custom dialog that you only get from talking to him a lot, and from what I've seen when I encounter him, he's no slouch in combat.

Could Maiq the Liar be made a follower too?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 18, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The Skywind team released another developer video today. Music, landscapes, models, creatures, armor -- it's positively pornographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0wo3q3HXc

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Lash is perfect, I didn't even know she had a quest, as she never gave me one.

All of these guys are world encounters - I once took a look at the quests controlling those thinking I would add one, and the effects were probably as close as I'll come in real life to reading an Elder Scroll. Basically, world encounters are distilled madness and trying to alter them has a chance of inducing it, so I'm a bit wary of changing up involved NPCs.

The quest comes from her mom, the smith in the orc stronghold south of Markarth. And I understand about the world encounters, when I was reading about the wandering bard it said he'll respawn on death and things like that, so I can see encounter NPCs being overly complicated and buggy.

e:

Hog Butcher posted:

You'll be able to mod both to the original way on day 1 probably. Morroblivion was really janky because nobody was voiced so you blankly stared at someone and telepathically communicated with them

I can't wait for the mods of Skywind itself, turning the whole place into a burned out apocalyptic shitheap in the 4th era.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I heard GELO mentioned and have been tinkering with it for the past day trying to get it to work. Anyone else find it finnicky? I got it running through my Mod Manager and the patch won't hit any errors, but it just stops at 100% during importing and sits there.

The enchantments in GELO look really cool, I wish I could get them without having to futz around with a proccer or whatever.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

As well as process any last good suggestions.

Lurbuk, if you can get around the two quests he's involved in (one to kill him and one where he happens to help kill a vampire in town). And the special conditions attached to his death if it's pre-kill-quest. Probably a tall order, I just want to hear him wax ineptly poetic on my journeys in the voice of Tom Waits :unsmith:

e: Combat barks:

"Is the line for my next performance starting already? Come on, don't be shy, plenty of room for everyone."

"Maybe you need a little ditty to loosen your gob, huh?"

Recovery from bleedout: "Ha! Oh that's a good one, friend. Can you even imagine something so ludicrous? Depriving the world of my unique talents?"

Dismissal remark: "When I'm known throughout Tamriel, you'll regret this decision."

You don't normally hear any of those unless you take the Dark Brotherhood quest.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The other issue is bards; it's hard to give them a specific combat role, and getting them to sing is another trick entirely. The way idles work is you can only do one clip at a time; you can't chain them together like you can dialog. There are workarounds but no silver bullet.

Bards as a buff-giving support class would be great. I've seen "intelligent healer" companion mods but I'm not aware of any that can cast "your allies gain x bonus" spells for the player's benefit. Failing that, just give them the appropriate default weapons.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Alasyre posted:

We definitely need a trip report on this. What a modder. :allears:

...why does Alduin have street lamps in his guts?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Someone else pointed out Summon Herne, but in a different spellpack mod (Forgotten Spells, maybe?) there's actually a "Wolf Pack" spell that summons three wolves. And ring you can find as loot that adds another one.

Add to that whatever mod added the armored/unarmored wolf/husky and bear head-hats, which apparently can summon the appropriate critter when you're attacked... :v:

I've been finding a lot more of those rings than the spells they interact with. Does only one guy in Whiterun sell Forgotten Spells in the whole world? My Reguard character is sort of wolf-themed but I don't have the Wolfpack spell which is a bummer. I tried the mod that lets you take over any person or animal but it was buggy as hell for me so I dropped it, also a bummer because I wanted to use my mod-added pet wolf with sweet gradual growth action to scout ahead for me. I miss his puppy days, his oversized head looked so cute on his tiny body.

Never heard of the second one but I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I'm not sure which mod added them, but the animal head-gear is coming all as pickups, or rarely at vendors. (Don't think they're craftable.) Can't recall if there's armored wolf ones, but the bears come in two versions - one unarmored, and one wrapped around a steel helmet (I think). They tend to be marked as enchanted - all the mage ones are - and usually say something like "The power of the <animal> will protect you". Serena and I got ambushed once, and suddenly BWAHM there's three wolves, an Alpha wolf and a loving bear standing on the roadway.

Oh yeah I do have that one, I love animal head hats. Never encountered the wolf or bear spawns, and didn't notice anything that would trigger it when I poked around in the Construction Kit to remove the enchant tag so I could improve them without a perk.

• Locked thread