Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dragon mods. I'm using Ultimate Dragons because the pretty great tesgeneral guide recommended it, but it... doesn't seem to change much so far. I'm level 13, using Deadly Combat with a Nord barbarian, and dragons still fall far easier than they did for my first couple of characters, who generally got OHKO'd by bite attacks or flame breath (my first two characters died like this to most enemies, to be fair). Do they get harder or does this mod just not do very much? I'm hesitant to install Dragon Combat Overhaul due to the author's unfortunate mental illness, and didn't like Deadly Dragons much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was looking forward to fighting Alduin with World Eater Beater but I get to the end of the first stage of the fight and it disables my controls and Alduin just sits there staring at me gormlessly forever :(

Anyone else had this problem/know how to fix it? I've seen others report it, but nothing on how to get past it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hello again friends!! If anyone encounters the same World Eater Beater trouble I was having, the culprit was Ultimate Dragons. Easily fixed by turning UD off in the MCM before leaving the doors of Sovngarde and turning it back on after the end of the main quest.

Are any magic overhaul mods recommended on top of SPERG? I had a thoroughly miserable time trying to be a mage my first playthrough of the game, and frankly would rather be overpowered than underpowered, but stuff like Mighty Magic seems kind of redundant with SPERG already in place. And obviously I'll be grabbing Apocalypse and Dwemertech and other spell packs like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm afraid to use any ENBs because my rig is getting a bit old. Are there any that don't cause much/any performance hits?

Agents are GO! posted:

Everything by EnaiSiaion, and Forgotten Magic, as is Midas Magic Redone (avoid Midas Magic Expanded though, its poo poo) is pretty sweet. SPERG alone makes casting much more fun.

For general advice, my advice is to focus mainly on Regeneration enchants, and not Spell Cost ones.
I can't find Midas Magic Redone, what is it?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 2, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pit Fighter is really good fun, especially with the travelling to other provinces. I played the one with the giant and it was poo poo, go to random island, get some equipment, wander through tiny cave, fight giant that has been set to 1.5x size, get generic loot chest. Then I played the one with the Daedric realms and they were loving tiny. Three new areas, one of them literally just walking past a bookshelf and clicking an item, the other two not much better. And I had to uninstall Oakwood or whatever because it made Lakeview Manor crash constantly. I haven't bothered with the rest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I tried playing SkyRE with a nightblade-type character, illusion and one-handed and sneak and archery. It was a profoundly miserable experience and I never once felt remotely competent or empowered. In a bad way, not in a challenging struggle kind of way.

This was ages ago though, about six months after the game came out I think, so I guess it's maybe better than it used to be?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Okay, looking forward to that. I'm rubbish at leveling Alteration though, so it'll be a while.
If you're using SPERG, Alteration will auto-level if you have mage armour up, which owns. Though it maybe levels up a bit too quickly, a dragon breathed fire on me once, took off a quarter of my health and Alteration immediately leveled up to 100 from 95.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deadly Combat is good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thirding Brhuce Hammar

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's a lot better now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dwemertech felt like a bit of a letdown after specter verse, the quest is 100 minutes of buggy hack and slash and the spells either seem to be more or less the same or just not as interesting. Nothing as cool as the spell that lets you hover in space firing lasers at your enemies before throwing them into an exploding star.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elth posted:

Smithing XP gain is tied to the value of the produced object, but I'm not sure how enchanting works. I'm pretty sure it's tied into he value of the enchantment, but I don't know if the item's value is considered at any point.
It seems to be based on the value of the end created item. Fortify Sneak on crafted jewelry offers by far the quickest leveling (and absurd amounts of cash) in my experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

How is that Khajit one, Moonpaths to Elswyr or something?
It's very pretty but everything else about it is boring.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doulos posted:

Thanks to the help in the thread, I'm pretty sure I've got everything working nicely together. Game's pretty, SPERG's cool, new gear is nice. Only last thing I'm considering is some enemy difficulty stuff perhaps. I've heard SPERG makes you a little strong, and I have Deadly Combat as well. On my first vanilla play through I got stupid strong really quick. With Morrowloot I know good gear won't be prevalent, but I'm still kinda worried. Having cool new combat options is kinda wasted if everyone still dies to mashing left click. What would people recommend that would play nicely with SPERG, Deadly Combat, and Morrowloot? I'm considering ASIS or some kind of deleveller, I saw someone describe the ERSO enemy leveling module as New Vegas-y which sounds perfect.
ERSO is good and Revenge of the Enemies makes enemies, well, a lot smarter. OBIS makes bandits more interesting and challenging too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Thinking about downloading Moonpath to Elsweyr, what are peoples' thoughts on it?
You wander around for an hour or so marvelling at how amazingly pretty it is, then do a couple of really boring side quests, and then realise that was it and there's no other content, so you look at how pretty it is for another five minutes and forget about it forever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm looking for mods to make Skyrim as much like Dragonball Z as possible. Thanks.

By that I mean are there any particularly good hand-to-hand combat mods with martial arts and such? Having done a playthrough as a beefy Conan type and a pure mage with far too many spell mods, I'm considering a playthrough as a completely silly character that plays pretty differently to those (not stealth, gently caress Skyrim stealth).

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Speaking of perk overhauls, what's the consensus on PerMA? Probably going to fire up a new character soon and wondering whether to move on from SPERG at last.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No it's terrible. I spent the entire thing laughing at how dumb and poo poo it was.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Have there been any good quest mods in the last six months or so other than Wheels of Lull?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know what character build to play as now. Last year I did light armour shouty Conan (fun as heck) and pure mage (fun until I overstimulated myself with twelve tabs of mod spells). Played a thief a couple years back with SkyRE and kind of hated it, and Conan was sometimes stealthy anyway. Are Grandmaster and Way of the Monk still the only unarmed mods?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Herrvillain posted:

Is there anything of note in Wyrmstooth beyond the rather ridiculous barrow that throws one of every dungeon at you in an attempt to be epic?
So... two kinds?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I run Morrowloot and SPERG together and never really noticed any weirdness.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongattack posted:

If anyone was surprised by this you are far too gullible for this (gaming) world. Paid modding is coming no matter how hard we kick and scream and games will be even more buggy and unfinished because of it. Modmakers will grovel in the corner with the scraps Bethesda deign to bestow upon them while bathing in money themselves. In the dark hallway nearby, you stand, mewling: "i-i-i just want a complete game... please..."

The publishers and developers will snicker to themselves and say "release the hounds" while modmakers rise to a truly alien stance and howl in a inhuman voice barely even resembling laughter anymore, or anything you were prepared to hear.

You last thought as the dogs disembowel you go to the times you could download CBBE tittymods for free.

It is the end times.

You are dead.
Yep. We had a good run.

Still, there could be a bright side - PC gamers could move en masse to games that don't pull this kind of thing, of which there'll be plenty, and that in turn will inspire the makers of those games to make better, more robust toolsets. Bethesda have had a stranglehold over RPGs with modding support for a while, which is exactly what's led to this complacency.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do we know why Bethesda isn't bothering about using a different engine? Maybe one that isn't made of biscuits and Scotch tape?
they're barely capable of making a functional game with this one after 13 years and you want to see what they'd manage if they had to learn a new one?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

They won't be, because Morrowind grognards won't let them be fixed.

YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY MY DICE ROLLS, HITSCAN MELEE COMBAT IS FOR CONSOLE KIDDIES AND CASUALS
:goonsay:
you seem angry

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I might try PerMa or Ordinator next time but I'm probably just going to use SPERG again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah I'm just saying that the damaged imperial dragon could be appropriated by an ambitious and ballsy Dragonborn to essentially declare himself to be the Talosine.

(Death to the false empire, hail mighty Talos)
also the Civil War outcome could potentially be resolved by the whole enantiomorph thing

General Tullius (Talos) = King
Ulfric Stormcloak (Stormcrown) = Rebel
Dragonborn = the other one

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Looking up "enantiomorph" got me a bunch of Michael Kirkbride nonsense, what drugs do I need to parse this poo poo?

Most pertinent thing is that it's what Tiber Septim did

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

How much of this is deliberate contradiction/obfuscation and how much of it is a combination of their inability to keep their own stories straight from game to game and their unwillingness to just openly retcon something? They could have just said "we changed our minds about Cyrodiil, we decided it's like this now" instead of the whole story about Talos altering history with a shout because his soldiers hated jungles. I mean, I could accept this in things like The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec because it's in-character for Vivec to deliberately try to make no sense, but this sort of thing has gone completely out of control.
A lot of both and a lot of the latter, really, but it's made explicit (well, as explicit as TES gets) that when these things happen they retroactively change history. When Talos became a god, history warped so that he had always been a god. Vivec tells you as much (regarding himself) in Morrowind dialogue, I think. It's a fairly common fantasy trope so I find it easy enough to swallow as batshit TES lore goes.

The Cyrodiil thing is just straight loving stupid though. Hey, it’s Oblivion.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember when Oblivion came out I was the only person I could find outside fuckin RPGCodex that didn't like it, and now it seems like everyone agrees that it was a terrible misstep. I'm glad but it's very confusing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I was keeping track of Skywind so much I had no idea they had finished a working version of Morroblivion. Has anyone tried it and is it worth playing? Or should I not bother and wait for Skywind?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Does Morrowind Combat Enhanced remove dice roll combat? If not, then Morroblivion is better just for not having that.
nnnnnnnnnngh.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

It's not just a matter of semantics for me.
that's unfortunate

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sporkie posted:

Okay, so Duel is right out then. Would there be a recommendation between Ultimate Combat or Deadly Combat then, and if either/both play well with additional spawns and such? Also, still looking for Dragon mod recommendations, or should I just go back with Deadly Dragons? How is Ultimate Dragons or Elemental Dragons?

Sorry for all the questions, I know I probably should just try 'em for myself, but stuck at work and no time for games 'til the weekend, just wanted a good idea of where to start.
I enjoy Deadly Combat + Ultimate Dragons

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FadedReality posted:

Does it make said spells hit like a truck? Because that was the problem I was having last time I played. Melee and ranged projectile fights were just fine but add in a mage and it was two hits and I'm dead almost every fight.

Same here. Standing there hacking away at each enemy for a full minute while eating potions and food isn't difficult, it's tedious. I want it to feel like we're trying to hit each other with huge swords and axes, not LARPing.
that's why Deadly Combat is good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everyone should have Dawnguard because of the time they made it free on Steam for the weekend and it turns out if you played it once during that time you have Dawnguard forever. My girlfriend got the DLCs free because she played my Skyrim on Steam Family Share, liked it enough to buy the vanilla version and apparently Steam decided she should get to keep the DLCs from playing mine :shrug: they’re just .esms, I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm planning to wrap up Fallout 4 this weekend and then let it simmer for a year or so. In the mean time I'm looking to take Skyrim out for another whirl. Two years ago I used Skyrim... Redone? I remember referring to it as Skyre.

A friend told me about Perkus Maximus last week and that sounds kinda neat too. Although from the bit of research I did it sounds like in PM you choose a class instead of picking perks and stuff to create your own class like in vanilla/Skyre.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Skyre and PM? I don't have any idea what kind of character I want to play. Im debating between stealth+magic, warrior+magic, or straight up magic.
there's also Ordinator by the dude who makes Apocalypse Magic and a few others. I'm eyeing it fr my next playthrough because I've been using SPERG for ages and fancy a change, but SPERG owns if you haven't used it before

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mod Organizer is the first time I've actually used a mod manager and it's great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trainwiz is loving excellent and is the kind of modder I want to be when I grow up. Wasn't Morrowloot him as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wyrmstooth guy appears to have deleted all traces of himself from the Internet. Weird.

• Locked thread