Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Well 2 years ago I broke my Skyrim game by installing some animations that conflicted or something but long story short uninstalling the game completely didn't fix every NPC in the game having literally no animations.

Eventually I formatted and reinstalled Skyrim and just now felt a hankering for it and it's been long enough I can't really remember losing my 30 hour character.

I just have to say holy poo poo SPERG makes this game so much better. I mean I have 100+ mods with armour and weapons but man skill trees are genuinely fun to level up now with skills affected gameplay in a lot of different ways. Highly enjoying my relentless fine-Norse-axe speed swinging Viking who gives no shits beyond running into combat full speed and hacking at everything.

That said I am looking to replace some animations again and am weirded out by making GBS threads the bed again. Can someone explain to me, in terms you would use with a small child, what I should be installing for skeletons for say realistic rag dolls and force and how to get these skeletons to work or whatever? LOOT was saying skeleton XP32 or something. All I don't really get skeletons either and why they are needed.

I have no idea what I am doing but I want better animations and def really broke my game previously. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Roadie posted:

If all you're using is Realistic Ragdolls and Force and nothing else that replaces the skeleton.nif file (aka the animation skeleton), you don't need anything else for it.

XP32 uses Realistic Ragdolls and Force but also has other animation stuff that adds to it.

FNIS combines animations from different mods and lets you mix and match which to use, along with skeleton-specific options (like changing where equipped weapons show up on the XP32 skeleton).

Ah OK so just keep to Realistic Ragdolls and I don't need to gently caress with any skeleton poo poo. Cool beans!

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 6, 2016

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm not going to try to explain everything you brought up, and I'm not the world's leading expert anyway, but I can tell you this about skeletons:

The skeleton is what moves. It's the "real" in-game object that animations, physics, etc actually affect. Character models, armors, weapons etc. don't really have a physical presence in the game so much as they're like holograms made to follow the movements of the skeleton and present the illusion that they physically exist. An arm is mapped onto arm "bones" so it will move like an arm. Bad "bone weighting" can cause visual glitches like clipping and stretching.

XP32 Maximum Skeleton and other similar custom skeletons are much, much more complex than the vanilla skeleton, giving you more "bones" and thus more options. A custom skeleton can let you change the position of a sheathed weapon... or install dragon wings, bouncing boobs, and a big floppy dong for your character. Custom skeletons also tend to have artfully adjusted scaling, weighting, and collision properties so that the game's animations will work better. Sometimes custom skeletons are made with different proportions, which will change the proportions of characters. If you enlarge the head bone on the skeleton, everybody will have big heads! But mostly it just makes for a good base for any animation-related mod to build on.

A custom skeleton isn't required for animation mods, as long as the animations only refer to bones that exist in the vanilla skeleton. But a lot of animation mods, armor mods, and others are made to take advantage of extra bones that only exist in a custom skeleton. If you have any kind of mod in your game that tries to reference a certain "bone" and it doesn't actually exist in your installed skeleton, your game will crash to desktop.

XP32 is the gold standard because it has been consistently updated to include every upgrade and custom bone anybody could think of, and it would be almost impossible to find a mod that isn't compatible with it. There's also no good reason not to use it, as it's just one relatively small mesh file, and doesn't add a plugin to your load order. It's something you can install and forget, and never have to worry about your skeleton again. Just be sure never to let some other mod with a skeleton included (Realistic Ragdolls and Force, certain body mods) overwrite it.

Hmm well right now I have Immersive Armours, RRaP and one animation replacement for 2 handed weapons that did not require a skeleton change.

No CTDs so unless I'm going to add in more armour I should probably just stick with what I have I guess. The XP32 skeleton doesn't add anything to my game unless I specifically add something to my game that requires it?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Hey not a modding question but as far as I'm aware this is the only live Skyrim thread.

I finally bought my own piece of land and started to build the poo poo out of it. After basically putting the save the world quest on hold for hours to decorating my house I assigned one of my followers to act as a guard/keeper of the home.

When I dismiss her she goes back to the house and I can tell her to buy supplies and to decorate it. Now I furnished the poo poo out of my place manually does paying her do the same thing only saving me the hassle of building everything myself? Next time should I just assign someone to my house and pay them from the get go to furnish it? Additionally do I have to have her there to prevent my house from being raided or whatever I read about?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Your house can get raided? Wow, ok, never happened to me yet.

I swear I read something about bandits coming to kidnap your spouse and children or something

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

4K eye textures for immersion or gently caress off

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I gave my daughter some lovely crit chance + dagger and now she spends all her time practice shanking the gently caress out of a practice dummy.

I'm not even joking, every time I come into my home or wake up I just hear the dagger unsheathe. It's kind of loving creepy.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

God drat home building is way too much fun for me. I bought a second property and I'm going to deck it the gently caress out manually, not buying any furnishing through my steward.

Also I managed to learn ultimate smithing crafting of the finest pieces of gear through the art of crafting artisanal iron nails/fittings. 94-101 smithing basically from that poo poo alone.

Now I need to find a spouse to earn a bit of coin.

Oh and something I found out my kid does: they gather random poo poo and put it in a chest in your home for you to take. At least I think for you to take. Either that or I just ruined my child's piggy bank and baby's first alchemy set.

Edit: daedra heart. she stores a loving bloody heart in their, my adopted kid is loving Dexter or some poo poo.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 22, 2016

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this all Hearthfire? If so, drat I need to get that again, because my last playthrough (360), I just bought lakeside manor, furnished it a bit, and that was all.

Yeah it is.

Sadly the house building is very limited. You make an entrance, main hall then you have the choice of making three different wings, one of three ways. That's it. All decorations inside are already established, you just find the ingredients to build them or pay a follower you assign as a steward to build them.

But yes, your kid is Hearthfire and you need to make poo poo loads of fittings and nails from iron to build basically anything in your house. So you can level up smithing quite a bit for cheap.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

"Whatever LOOT tells me to do."

As someone with 100+ mods that doesn't want to put in any effort, 100% this.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Yeah LOOT highlights any conflicts and I follow through with the advice it gives.

My game crashes every 2-5 hours I'd say. So nothing outside of Vanilla Skyrim I'd say :haw:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

loving Vampires just savaged Whiterun. Killed the lady blacksmith and her husband. I'd let it go for *Immersion* but gently caress selling poo poo is already a loving hassle. Guess I'm looking up how to revive someone who died when I wasn't even near.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Run For Your Lives and When Vampires Attack are your friends.

Those are installed! I did a double take when the courier brought me a note saying "she's dead, here's 100 gold."

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Isn't there a mod or something that deletes bodies and gear that has been on the floor for a set amount of time to reduce bloat?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

That's part of the unofficial patch now, after you've been in a different cell for 3 days it deletes corpses and stuff on the ground.

Ok that makes sense. I remember my last playthrough 3 years ago had 25MB saves with only 20ish hours of playtime and less done. Now I've done more and have 45 hours of game time and my saves are only (only) 11MB.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

vkeios posted:

Oh good, its not just me then. I've gotten so much vampire-death insurance money despite having that mod on. Everyones got enough sense to avoid dragons though, so at least thats working.

She never levels higher than 6 so basically, I assume, she got one shot running away.

Apparently there's a mod to make her unkillable and I guess I'll try that. I wouldn't bother if another person took over the shop so I could sell to them but nope.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Can't recommend SPERG enough

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Trustworthy posted:

I'm trying to let my wizard remotely put items into the 'sell' chest of his (player-run) magic shop.

!!

This is the first I've heard about having your own shop and holy poo poo this is right up my alley of becoming a massive land baron. Google has me guessing it is that Druken Dragon mod?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ok so I guess there is a number of merchant mods out there then. Is there a "best" one out there?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Same thing happened to a fresh install with the carriage when I got my girlfriend's Skyrim setup with a modest amount of 30-40 mods. Just utterly off-roading it like a rally horse-cart.

She's beat it on 360 but wanted to try it with mods after taking a break for a few years so I just installed Dimes QuickStart to get around it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you're using an Nvidia card you should use NVIDIA Inspector to lock your framerate to 60FPS. I had bad luck with ENBoost and a number of other options because they weren't ensuring a minimum render time, so you'd get extreme stuttering because the game would render 60 frames at the start of a second then just wait and do nothing until the next second started.

Oh wow, had no idea.

Thanks for the heads up, she hasn't had issues butI'll fix her game tonight regardless.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

YggiDee posted:

So I just started a fresh install of Skyrim after upgrading my computer. I'm using Mod Organizer, put a bunch of mods in, checked my load order, etc etc. When I run Skyrim through it, none of my mods load. When I check the data files on the Skyrim launch screen, all it shows are the three DLCs. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

MO should be just launching Skyrim not the official Skyrim launcher.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

PC Skyrim is so much fun. I had no real interest in any Elder Scrolls game until my friend was like "check out what you can do with mods."

About 100 mods later from graphical tweaks, to gameplay to sweet looking items and armour I have the game I actually want to play.

My girlfriend was big into Skyrim on the 360. I threw my old 660 in her ACER machine and bought her Skyrim Legendary for $10 on sale. I threw on about 45 mods (mostly gameplay and quality of life) for her and she's having a great time replaying a game tweaked enough that it's a bit of a new experience.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

So I've been kind of reading this on my phone during my breaks on a real slow night shift but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Some people have made a mod information site which will recommend mods based on what you tell the site you're looking for, while also offering potential conflict warnings and reviews.

Mod authors, or rather, a small sect of mod authors are saying this sets a dangerous precedent because of what? This is the part I guess I might have missed because I don't see how this is a bad idea. Are they worried their work may be genuinely criticized or something?

Far as I'm concerned this could be a great stepping stone for people to start modding games they wouldn't otherwise.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

poo poo, Grimy was banned for a while for pointing out that a popular combat mod literally did nothing. Like, literally had no effect at all.

Please someone have a link to a summary of this

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

SPERG rocks. My only problem with it is that it fucks up brawling. I think it's the bare-handed perk in the heavy armour tree.

Only way I found to get around it is to reset your perks, beat the poo poo out of someone, then reselect your perks.

Small price to pay for a mod that games gameplay about twice as fun across the board.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

IAmTheRad posted:

There's a option in the SPERG settings to fix brawling. Of course, use the "cheaty" script that fixes brawling. Keep in mind that unarmed is inside the Pickpocketing tree. I actually prefer the Unarmed Combat Patch for SPERG. It makes unarmed not basically require you to be drunk to be effective. Of course there's still the Fists of Steel perk in the Heavy tree for more punching power.

Yeah I've messed with those settings and they simply don't work for me. :( only thing I have found that does is resetting all the perks.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

delta534 posted:

If the jewelry has the JewelryExpensive keyword attached to it it is treated as high quality jewelry by sperg. the JewelryExpensive keyword is from skyrim so if the Modder added the right tags it should work.

I found any jewelry with an actual gem in it seems to qualify. Even silver garnets or whatever is shittiest.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Oh my god yes

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Found a cool little mod. A combat dodge that you can configure to work with WASD+LAlt or double-tapping directional keys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN9SteKg4Sc
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20923/

What are goon thoughts on the combat mods? I googled around a bit last night, and seems like there's some cloak spell and save file issue going on with everything but, uhh, Ultimate combat, and Vigor.

This mod is great in idea but actually kind of sucks due to the delay between the double tap being so huge you will accidentally dodge a lot when you don't want to. I died multiple times falling off a cliff because you can't configure the speed delay between key presses to enable the dodge.

Eventually I turned it to be another key I now never use, shame because it's a good idea

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

kalstrams posted:

I tested it a bit and it is very responsive thus far, I don't think I have any complaints at all. Maybe you had an older version or extremely script-heavy setup?

On the other hand I need to see what will happen when I actually get into script-intensive section of the game, like a CWO siege for instance.

No it's current and the delay between double key presses was just too long for my liking. I often shutter step a bit around corners and when those corners are high bridges. :(

I wish you could alter the time between presses to initiate the dodge because in combat it was pretty great.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I think the criticism is more mod creators are stupid and ban people for legitimately pointing out flaws in constructive ways.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I just download mods and endorse the ones I think are good. I never comment because I just don't want to roll the dice of the mod author being that thin-skinned tool that thinks he or she is bestowing some glorious gift to some community pleb.

That said I don't see why things like actual rape threats can't be banned. I'd say there's a line between "hey your mod has something broke" and "I will kill you and rape you for breaking my game with your mod."

One's a criticism, the other is some psycho poo poo.

That said I'm a straight white dude on the internet so I basically have to put up with no bigoted garbage ever so my perspective may be simplistic and I admit that.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Dongattack posted:

People are sooo defensive/aggressive about their mods. I just tried talking to a mod author that had changed the meshes of some vanilla armor in a mod where i didn't really expect that to be done and it looks kinda bad. Tried to ask as well as i could for a patch that would revert the vanilla looks, but i just got some passive/aggressive "that's not our vision" back and i just had to end it as he got increasingly agitated.
I'll try to make my own patch i guess! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mods aren't for the likes of you, pleb

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

Oh, and I don't really know you or care about your opinion on me either way.

:jerkbag:

It's a Skyrim mod thread where people that people can ask for help with problems in. Going "ugh so ignorant" in this type of thread pretty poo poo and one of the reasons Nexus loving sucks and people ask for help here rather than there.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

I was asking for help of a little bit higher level than 'hey just leave texture mods in BSAs they'll be handled identically to loose files' but don't let the finer details affect the level of discourse here.

You can explain that their advice offered was not helpful while still maintaining a standard level of respectfulness for someone that's trying to help you.

Whether or not you require "advanced advice" or whatever you want yo call it isn't what's rubbing people the wrong way, just a heads up.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

If you mean powerful unique weapons you can respawn them using item codes in the console

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Chaltab posted:

What? I'm not talking about getting them, I'm talking about a mod that tags weapons or armor you've sold and puts them (x days later) in the hands of enemies to make the enemies tougher.

Whoops, yeah I completely misread what you were asking. Neighbours had been partying until 3-5am the past few days on the weekend but I work it. Guess it's getting to me.

Now that I get what you're saying, loving great idea.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Raygereio posted:

LOOT or any other tool is not a replacement for you using your brain.

Ok I don't want be all "I have important things to do :smug:" but honestly what the gently caress else can someone say to this? I've got limited gaming time so I'm not going to waste more time than I already have finding mods I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Raygereio posted:

:shrug: The vast majority of problems posted on the modding threads & forums I visit are caused by people not having read the readme. And those poor sods have to waste far more time troubleshooting their issue, then it would have taken them to skim the readme for important info like requirements or install details.

I'm not trying to sound condescending here but people using LOOT and having no issues don't post.

• Locked thread