Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres just something wrong with their mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
That Dragon Age Keep thing should be in the OP.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Oh, awesome, I was hoping either 1) Gibbed did something like this or 2) the Keep is ultimately going to be a cross-platform app that basically does this. My sister is as obsessed with BioWare games as you can be while still remaining in control of your critical faculties so I played both games with all the DLC on our Xbox--until the DLC refused to work for me and I had to load up my .xbsav file in Gibbed's program and change it to a .pcsav file, which was a cinch. I'm hoping the Keep is basically that.

Inquisition isnt going to import saves, DAKeep is how youre going to do it. And with they way they handled in Awakening and 2, its for the best. that poo poo never worked.

Now they can go "We are using these decisions, use the site to set what you want and we can guarantee they will work" probably including a few extras so people dont know what to expect.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Leelee posted:

I think Dragon Age 2 would have been better received by fans if it had been named "Dragon Age: Exodus" as planned instead of leading people to believe it was a more direct sequel to the first. It wouldn't have excused every flaw, but would have maybe lessened the dissapointment.

Thats irrelevant. This one is called DA: Inquisition and people still call it DA3 anyway. It doesnt matter if it has a 2 or 3 in the title, it wasn't a good sequel to DA:O regardless.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Well, in hindsight treating DA2 like a standalone title in the same universe would have made sense, but the success of Mass Effect was difficult to ignore.

Which is kind of funny since DA:O was their best selling game of all time (at that point anyway).

KoB
May 1, 2009

Boogle posted:

Its shorthand for saying they don't want their artists to waste time and/or resources. Gotta reach your milestone as fast as possible!

They already designed them all for Hawke, which would work on any of the companions besides Varric basically. It was entirely their lovely choice for lovely reasons.

KoB
May 1, 2009

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Calling it now:

Iron Bull is that Qunari mercenary you meet in DA2 act 1 who doesn't want to be a Tal-Vashoth anymore.

Aveline shows up as a knight somewhere in Orlais.

There will be a subplot involving Merill, Morrigan, and eluvians.

The source of the fade rifts is the blood sluice machine/blood lake beneath Kirkwall channeling all the suffering and death in what was a pretty obvious attempt by the Tevinters to tear a hole in the veil... for reasons. Final mission sees the Inquisitor travel to Kirkwall to shut that poo poo down and repair the veil.

I dont really ever want to return to Kirkwall, but I think the one exception would be to level it to the loving ground.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doublehex posted:

You also missed out on a pretty sweet character. If I were you I would restart the playthrough and not hang him.

I played a Human noble.

gently caress the Howes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

HenessyHero posted:

Edit: PS, in Awakening, make sure you bring the party member you recruit from a jail cell into the final battle.

What happens here? I always kill him because Im a Cousland and gently caress those guys. :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Umberger posted:

So since there's not really a general thread (that I could find), I'll just ask here. I picked up Dragon Age: Origins in the Steam sale recently. Are there any essential mods/fixes/fan patches for a first time playthrough?

If you like Sten theres a mod that adds in the Spec. Point hes missing. People will tell you to get a mod to skip the Fade section, but I think you should do it once at least.

KoB
May 1, 2009

epitasis posted:

Did they replace the entire DA2 team, then? I didn't hear about that.

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age 2 was made by a different studio than Bioware proper, back when EA was renaming every studio "Bioware _____"

KoB
May 1, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Merrill

Yeah, I went there. I like Merrill. Anyone got a problem with that? :colbert:

Yes. Shes terrible.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

Bioware are releasing "Character Kits" for making cosplay.

Morrigan first:

It amused me that she's called the "Witch of the Wilds" and dress like that.

Why is she wearing a disney princess dress?

KoB
May 1, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

After the Mass Effect Trilogy and making the mistake of going to the BSN forums I'm nothing but apathetic to that whole series. I want to get into Dragon Age, I starting to get a sword and sorcery setting itch, so hopefully it's gonna be good.

Dragon Age Origins is really good!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Furism posted:

I like that Obsidian is creating a (whole?) language for Pillars of Eternity, so things will sound Heroic Fantasy-ish but be internally consistent. I hate BioWare writers for being lazy and making Not Westeros.

Thats not fair, since Westeros is just England just like The Dragon Age Setting is just notEngland, notFrance, and notIslam encroaching on them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

I'm curious, is anyone here actually going to buy Inquisition new without getting a goon consensus/reliable review first?

This is Bioware's first biggy since DA2 and ME3 and those didn't exactly inspire faith.

Yes :negative:

Even though I didnt like the ending to ME3 I still think its a great game otherwise, and for some reason I dont completely hate DA2 even though I recognize its not good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Monohydrate posted:

I won't buy. DA2: Adventure in Mud Mountain was awful and this will be too.

Will this game have a goony looking protagonist you're forced to play as, too?

Uh, you can completely customize the face, so sorry if you made it look too much like yourself I guess.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I thought I had signed up before, but apparently it doesnt think so :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Policenaut posted:

And EA pulled a bunch of their titles from Steam so people had to use Origin.

They didnt. Valve pulled them because they wanted a cut of the DLC sales and EA didnt feel like giving it to them.

I also think it was only Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2, and Crysis 2 is on Steam now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

losonti tokash posted:

I keep reading this over and over but it refuses to make sense to me.

"I will give them my money but I sure as hell wont play it!"

KoB
May 1, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

So has anyone been able to access the Keep stuff?

If so, what is it exactly? I get the feeling it's just a bunch of checkboxes for variables, but I wish it was more complex than that.

Also is the keep going to be the only way to import across the "trilogy?"

Yes, Keep will be the only way to import.

Importing from Origins/Awakening barely worked right as it is.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Leelee posted:

In response to the "40 possible endings":

Ok so its like DAO. Theres really only three endings: you die, Allistar/Loghain dies, demon baby. I assume the "major variations" would be like who you sided with.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

Were those really the three major endings in DA:O? I always found the stuff about how your actions changed the world way more interesting than who died fighting dragon.

I agree that the other stuff is more interesting, but I just considered the sides you took/etc to be part of the game with the ending being "defeat the archdemon" which is really only "who dies/demon baby." How the dwarves/elves/werewolves/etc come out in the end is more epilogue to me.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Leelee posted:

Question:

Who would you all like to see as voice actors/actresses in the next game? Any favorites?

I loved Simon Templeman and I love Jennifer Hale. It would be awesome to hear them in the next game.

After Jennifer Hale's performance in Diablo 3 she can just stick to Mass Effect because holy poo poo it was bad.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

On that same note, Jennifer Hale knocks it out of the park in Bioshock Infinite. She didn't sound like her usual performance.

Troy Baker is basically the new Nolan North too. Everyone wants him to do generic white guy voice (and hes got a fantastic normal voice, but it doesnt need to be in everything), but hes finally getting roles like the Joker in the upcoming Batman game.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drifter posted:

Are you loving lying to me because Joker needs to not be in Arkham Knight is this april fool's I'll kill you.

Sorry, I dont keep up on batman games, it was the last one "Batman Origins."

Hamil decided to not continue voicing the Joker.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Goddammit my PC won't be able to run that will it?

Well this game is coming to the 360/PS3 so you can probably run it on medium.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wait, there are winged people now?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Or if there was more to his fear of Orlesian help than just his undying founding father hatred of Fantasy France to make his actions seem more logical or unavoidable. Like stumbling across treaties which assured assistance came at the cost of some severe strategic sacrifice and/or economic concessions to Orlais. But that require the writers to consider actual backdoor politics which could be involved in anything besides an obvious bad guy plot.

He hates Orlais because they raped and murdered his mother in front of him and subjugated his country and all that. Even if Loghain was sort of comically evil, his hate of Orlais is totally justified.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I liked the ones with Varric convincing Fenris to come to the bar and play cards :shobon:

KoB
May 1, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Someone mentioned the gender balance in this earlier (six to three) and I just got to wondering, has there ever been a RPG where there are more women than men, barring the obvious examples like the Neptunia games that have no men, and the harem-rpgs?

I think the Atleir series on the PS3, maybe?

The "Tales Of" games are usually 50/50 at least :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Everyone should at least attempt to play Persona 4. Its anime as gently caress but its fantastic.

KoB
May 1, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Not really. I imagine Pillars of Eternity will be out about then, but realistically, fans of party-based RPGs are so starved, they'll buy both, so there's not much real competition there even though they're both going for the same niche. Alien: Isolation and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor are the same date too, but they don't have EA's marketing muscle behind them.

Youre insane if you think PoE on PC will compete at all with Dragon Age 3 by Bioware coming to 360, BONE, PS3, PS4 and PC (outside of mega nerds like us who post on vidya websites).

KoB
May 1, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Sadly no. If you suggest your dog as a champion Eamon will say "I'm afraid we can't leave the fate of all Ferelden up to your dog. Anyone with a leftover ham bone could buy his allegiance. Choose someone else."
The tone at which he says that is brilliant, you can hear the facepalm.

If you suggest Shale Loghain is just like "oh thats not loving fair."

KoB
May 1, 2009

oatgan posted:

Are there actually people who think the horse armor preorder bonus doesn't rule?

People are getting mad at "Horse Armor" as if its 2006.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drifter posted:

Back when their standards were higher.

$5 for horse armor back when DLC was barely a thing, and free horse armor for preorders are already not equivocal. Theres plenty of actual bullshit DLC to get mad about! Theyre just mad because HORSE ARMOR:argh:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

Tying into this, I'm curious how they're going to handle gear in general. The Inquisition class page links that hat to a mage but that sword looks like a warrior's. Is the hat classless? Is that a mage with a gently caress-off sword? Is this game going to let us wear anything like some RPGs or are some classes going to be locked out of certain pieces of gear because of stat or class requirements? The previous games have mostly had stat based requirements, with DA:O having strength largely be the determiner and DA2 using your class's primary stats. I mean I doubt they've gotten away from it entirely, but I'm seeing a lot less plate in this game than before so are outfits more flexible?

I think they said that weapons wont be bound to classes anymore. Maybe.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, if you're preordering this game already you deserve to be cuffed on the back of the head moderately hard.

Even if you're going to preorder before knowing anything substantial about the game, you could at least wait for the inevitable preorder deals from websites. Who pays full price for games anymore?

KoB
May 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Ah I'm just operating on half remembered forums posts on that one. gently caress paying any money in advance. The old preordering system Game had in the UK was good, where you paid nothing to preorder and simply didn't turn up to buy the game if you decided you didn't want it anymore.

You can just come in and get your $5 back if you dont want the game anymore. Your $5 doesn't disappear and you dont actually have to buy the game. The money just creates a greater incentive for people to preorder things theyre actually interested in instead of just preordering everything just in case or something.

e: or preorder online at amazon or something because gently caress Gamestop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Well obviously, but going into the shop to get your $5 back is a hassle, gently caress that.

Oh. Ive seen some people on here who legitimately thought the $5 was independent from the game and were paying $5 for the privilege of preordering, so I thought I'd just make it clear :v:.

• Locked thread