Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jastiger posted:

Speaking of which, where can I find Icewind Dale for cheaper and is Planescape: Torment the same company?
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were made by Bioware; Icewind dale and Planescape Torment were made by Black Isle, and are on gog.com for pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alouicious posted:

Wow it's like the two quotes prove each other oh christ oh poo poo oh gently caress oh

The kind of person who writes reams of Doctor Who/Supernatural fan fiction would never in a million years say "who the gently caress cares what's official canon?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If the loading times in dragon Age were anywhere near as long as the loading times in Mass Effect they'd loving better look good

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

steakmancer posted:

Then, if you compound the fact that this character is voiced and based off the appearance of Felicia Day
THE HORROR!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Pick posted:

Then set aside the examples and answer the question like I've asked: When your friends are going to do something harmful to themselves and potentially others and cannot be dissuaded, do you continue to support them, why or why not? That is the crux of Merrill's arc and it's why the arc is interesting. Would you rather face the inevitable at her side, optimistically, or disparage her and try to play damage control, or refuse involvement entirely? The game gives you the choice!
yes but but but the lore

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

Seriously, I would buy Dragon Age 3 straight up if for every dialog option I could take the Laconic route.

Imagine leaving your romance partner behind when you go to the final, suicidal battle and when she asks what she should do respond with "Marry a good man and bear good children."
Surely after dA2 the idea of Bioware giving players a "witty" dialogue option is something out of a nightmare?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Yeah, no, those quotes are funny and y'all are stick in the muds.

if nothing else they're 100% pure unadulterated Bioware

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They probably didn't implement it because people would stumble on the option by accident and end the game early with no prior save to load so they could carry on as normal, and then they'd complain online.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hell there was an interview with the head of Obsidiab a while back where he said they showed the game to Lucasarts early on and they really liked it and said they'd give it a few extra months in development to fully live up to its potential. Sadly they didn't put it in writing and ended up changing their minds.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It didn't feel good to me, because I melted him into a puddle of goo with my laser rifle and then had to watch him come back to life for his Epic Death Scene.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Bioware are very clearly using LGB(no T I've seen) as a branding device now though.

Yeah but, so?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Calax posted:

The problem is more that the game tells you "THIS IS THE GOOD ENDING!".

Alpha Protocol had proper choices because there was no "golden" ending. It ended almost the same every way you did it.
In that you prevent World War 3 but can't really do anything about the world being full of dysfunctional assholes, yeah. Still, there's a bunch of variables in how the final scenes turn out which help it feel like your own personal ending.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Has there been any new information on mounts? I wanna ride a bear.

[insert preemptive joke about romance options]

They're Canadian, there's precedent:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

HR definitely had worse dialogue than either DA game

Yeah, rip.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

caleramaen posted:

The thing with that was that ME2 had to have a fairly complicated system to transfer over the ME1 faces. So when they made ME2 they created a new system that gave each facial feature a unique code. ME3 simply imported that code. But ME1 faces that hadn't been modified didn't have a code. I was actually able to import my ME1 character because I'd changed their hairstyle in ME2, which allowed the game to assign the face a code. So as long as you had your character from ME2 all you needed to do was start a new game with them, get to the face editing part, choose your old face, make a change and then reverse the change to the face and you had a code which you could write down and input into ME3. It's a silly workaround that shouldn't have been necessary, they should have just set ME2 to automatically give all faces a code.

You can't make a change to the import face in ME2, you can import it exactly as-is or rebuild it from scratch.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Geostomp posted:

If you can somehow manage to properly defend the Starchild, Cerberus devolving into Space Cobra, and every wonderful moment with The Only Child in the Galaxy, then I might concede you have a point.
The story is crap but the shooting gameplay is good fun. Though I think you can probably consider the story in a Bioware game "part of the gameplay" since it's very much presented that way with how much they talk up "your choices shape the universe" and such.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If Bioware had any balls, the final confrontation with the Illusive Man would have been a 15 minute conversation battle where you attempt to make him see your point of view through careful selection of argument instead of Did you choose the special magic coloured option at the start of the game. If so, congrats, you win the conversation. At least that would have made the lack of a final boss more palatable.

It would have been better if you could shoot him at any time. Press the fire button at any time and he dies but you can maybe get a better result by talking him down. As it is the best result is when the game lets you shoot him anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Too soon :smith:

But hey his daughter's a decent game writer, so there's that.

• Locked thread