Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.cafepress.com/darksydephil.427894563

Mother fucker. I knew I'd regret taking a look at this individuals store when I saw he had a "merchandising" link on his banner thing. I'm tempted to buy one of these, address the package to the warden from "Anonymous", and put this under the staff Christmas tree we have at the prison that I work as a guard.

But gently caress if I'm actually PAYING for this, let alone $10.99 + shipping.

But at least Phil is patriotic! He says "gently caress China, my thongs are made in the good ol' U.S. of A!"

Actually, I doubt that even China would subject their children to being forced to make these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lazyfire posted:

Aside from the two people I am thinking of, not really. Actually, one of the MindCrack podcasts featured a segment where the guys on that podcast voiced their displeasure with the LP Subforum rules/Slowbeef when someone sent them the rules here like Slowbeef had set those as rules for LPs across the internet. "Know the game" and "Don't play on release day" are sort of direct attacks on those guys' incomes, so I don't know what other reactions they would generate.

Really I think this is at the base of why "LP Drama" just isn't like it used to be. Instead of being a sub-sub-culture on the internet, it's actually became vaguely mainstream and widely known. For the most part, gone are the days of Velos and Viper rant videos and death threats. Closest thing we've had to that was the Dangan Ronpa thread clusterfuck, which confuses me just as much trying to figure out how there can be so many weird loving people that take this poo poo so seriously. VIDEO GAMES!!! Speaking of, I popped on a couple days ago to see slowbeef had closed the Dangan Ronpa thread. Not sure if it was completed or not, but has there been any fallout from that worth looking at? Tumblr seems to be the main offender here, but gently caress if I care to spend time using their weird rear end search function.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

unfair posted:

I guess the appeal for that sort of LP is more a MST3k vibe

Perhaps, but the thing that distinguishes MST3k from LPs (99% at least) is that the cast weren't constantly blabbing on. They'd let the movie play and basically hang itself, and make short little quips. Unlike the majority of the people on YT that play, and constantly drone on and on, because "OH poo poo WE'RE TWO VIDEO GAME FRIENDS THAT ARE OH SO ZANY! gently caress THE GAME, LISTEN TO OUR WITTY COMMENTARY!". Game Grumps, the Two Best Friends are prime examples. Plus, I thought it was Two Best Friends, but apparently it's Best Super Friends. Now I have this odd feeling like there's going to be some sort of really weird YouTube LP Justice League pop up eventually.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

80's 80's 80's

Yo, don't be dissin' the 80's dawg! There was some incredibly tubular poo poo come from that decade! The big hair, and the bigger music was all fantastic! Journey, Foreigner, Boston, ELO, Def Leppard, on and on the list goes for great music that popped up from these bands in that decade! of course it had some really weird poo poo as well, so I guess it balances out.

What's this have to do with Let's Play? gently caress all, and why somebody would choose to rant about it in an LP video that doesn't revolve around 80's culture is a mystery, but even though it may not make for good commentary in the least, YouTube has proven one thing, there's a myriad of other junk out there that's ten times worse.

Back on the loose track this thread is based on, Yogscast and the like just seemed to be at the top, of a long list of boring Minecraft LPers. While I can't speak for anybody but myself, Minecraft is an incredibly boring game after the first hour (tops), and all LPs of it are the same caliber...save for CrumblingCenturion's LP video. But even that wears thin after 10 minutes or so...so basically, gently caress it.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Little_wh0re posted:

I've asked this in the recommendation thread as well but what are good LPs for young children? Most LPs I watch tend to involve swearing. Which obviously isn't suitable.

If you're needing a baby sitter, just give the kid a popsicle and put some raocow on. Nothing screams children's entertainment more than a French-Canadian popping off with non-sequitur commentary! I like raocow, but I'm just saying

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Slowbeef posted:

:siren: YouTube LPs are in danger! :siren:

...(shrug) Apparently a buncha LPs are being hit with 3rd party copyright claims so people can't make that cash money anymore.

Oh dear, does this mean that the "LP Bubble" on YouTube is going to burst? Am I a bad person for hoping it does? WILL OBAMA PASS A STIMULUS PACKAGE BECAUSE YOUTUBE LP'S ARE TOO BIG TO FAIL!? These questions will be asked and answered when Slowbeef and Diabetus sit down with the President, tonight on Retsutalk.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

error supply posted:

This guy does the first 100% completion run of Flappy Bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-nzHy2DdU

If all "Let's Play" camcorder videos were like this, I'd much prefer them over any recording software.

Major_JF posted:

....this video encapsulates the intent that I think this forum is trying to put forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fjE1A80w2s

Really? An 8+ minute video, just to explain needing balance between quality and quantity? Actually yeah, I'd say that pretty much matches this place to a T for the most part. Snazzy find! (Also, don't forget to follow him on Twitter, Instagram, and buy a Ve T-shirt!.....at least he didn't shill for likes, comments, and subscriptions though yes????)

BMS fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 8, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Personally this sort of thing doesn't bother me at all when it's people who produce their own content. I mean this is his alt-channel for people who really give a drat about what he thinks about random poo poo, so he's totally justified to give his thoughts about random poo poo. He makes some fairly relevant points too, considering how often people try to get noticed on YouTube through sheer quantity.

I'm sorry if people daring to try to monetize their YouTube channels makes you mad. Certainly hasn't decreased my affection for the stuff the Green brothers put out, for instance.

Not at all. That wasn't meant as a knock against the fellow that made the video either, as you said he can make whatever he sees fit. The point I was trying to make, albeit sarcastically, was that that video DOES encapsulate this forum to an extent. Overly long conversations about poo poo that:

A). Has been discussed to death before.
B). Doesn't amount to jack squat.

I mean let's face it. Let's Play is just a bunch of nerds playing video games for the internet. Nerds. Video games. Internet. I'd say that makes it rank pretty low on the totem pole as far as things go to have a serious, long and drawn out discussion over. When Let's Play became more than, as slowbeef stated waaaaay back when, a "pseudo-hobby", it became too serious for what it was.

That's all I meant.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

I just found out this really weird kid who used to go to my high school does YT LP's and has 50k subs.

(also this isn't very noteworthy or worth watching, really, just weird as hell to find a guy you know in real life doing LP's.)

Quick, get in touch with him and tell him you feel bad about thinking he was weird and to make up for it you'd love to do a "Co-Op" Mario Party LP with him.

C'mon, if we all work together, we CAN make the Let's Play forum the new, hip version of classmates.com!

Don't do this.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Maremidon posted:

What are the best Silent Hill LPs offsite or onsite? Voice commentary or subtitles are both fine as long as the atmosphere is semi-preserved. I just realized I've seen LPs of most of the newer games, but I haven't seen any of the original 4.

As far as on-site LP's go, I'd highly recommend VoidBurger & Niggurath's LP's. Link to the Master List. While I've only watched VoidBurger's SH1, and Niggurath's SH2 LP, they've done a good portion of the rest of the series as well. Definitely worth a look.

I can't exactly recommend any off-site LP's however, as I haven't really watched any for any length of time. The last one I watched, (part of), was in 2008 from Vega...there's more to his name but damned if I can remember. Regardless, wasn't impressed with it. Plus, I think he was RP'd for it at somepoint as well if memory serves.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr DJB posted:

I can't remember who exactly (it might be TotalBiscuit) but there's one YouTube person I know who ends their video with "If you enjoyed this video, please like and subscribe, if you felt it was lacking, please leave a comment telling me how I can improve."

I can totally get behind that poo poo.

I can dig that. Never fault anybody for asking for some feedback to help improve, be it positive or negative. It just gets really old seeing a video with a constant annotation that shouts out "LIKE, COMMENT, AND SUB!" (on the subject, I guess that is what "sub4sub" evolved into?). But a little note at the end of the video asking for feedback is different.

A change of venue. I'm not sure if this has been discussed in length or not, but late last year there was quite an uprising against "AdBlock" by some YTers griping that it was taking money away from content creators. Most of these people stating that if you use adblock, there's a very good chance that your favorite YouTuber will lose money, not be able to pay his bills, be forced to go out and get a normal job, preventing them from uploading and thus...you'd be responsible for the downfall of YouTube in general...or something like that.

Here's a prime example. Some fellow by the name of ZybakTV plays Call of Duty for 9 minutes, while discussing that adblock is asking for donations. If you actually listen to this guy, he seems to think that Adblock asking for donations is like Satan asking for funding. Also, that money should go to content creators, not Adblock! You know, the kind of content creators that record some game footage published by a company, slap some commentary on it, and upload to YT!

I guess we should all support the cause, yo.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

The best example of this would be the guy who made Flappy Bird taking the game down because it got too popular and attracted gamer attention. Which means demands from fans and hate mail from detractors. Also, angry gamer bile.

Actually, I see this as simply amazing. One of the rare examples of somebody not taking themselves so serious by worrying about their "online rep", and loving with the public...mostly just because they can. Which in turn produces some of the most hilarious content available on the internet. People flipping the gently caress out because they were insulted, or deprived of something over the internet. Mostly over a bunch of junk that counts for zip in the real world, and counts for even less on the internet, yet they're more likely to respond harsher over the internet (I'd wager due to the anonymity factor). Retsupurae proved this when they first started, and the best part about the early RP's were the responses people would pop off with. Everything from death threats, to multiple 10 minute long rant videos, where the offended LPer would spaz the gently caress out....OVER VIDEO GAMES. Of course, Retsupurae became popular, and people eventually caught on that it was just for fun, and most let it slide now with little response. But, there's still a ton of meaningless BS out there that you can poke just a little fun at, and people will still spaz out completely on you for it. So personally, I say bravo to Mr. Flappy Bird-Man Guy. He stirred up a bit of a reaction that once again, shows that the majority of people on the internet are complete morons, which is pretty funny to watch.

As for TotalBiscuit actually having health problems due to YOUTUBE comments....that....if that's actually true, that would lead one to think there's some borderline (at the least) mental problems going on there. But then again, isn't he the guy that posted on here that he had an IQ of 138 or something? poo poo man, rise above it.

Seriously though, he should thank his lucky stars he's in Europe, I mean, I highly doubt that if he were an American LPer going to the Doctor for Comment Injury, that that poo poo would be covered under Obamacare. :911:

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FutureFriend posted:

TotalBiscuit also used to post on the forums and he made one of the funniest posts I've seen on here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792

poo poo, thank you! I knew that was from somewhere around here, but had completely forgotten the thread! I'll say it once again...poo poo man, rise above it.

BMS posted:

Seriously though, he should thank his lucky stars he's in Europe, I mean, I highly doubt that if he were an American LPer going to the Doctor for Comment Injury, that that poo poo would be covered under Obamacare. :911:

Ablative posted:

...TB lives in North Carolina.

And it wasn't just the comments, it was a lot of other poo poo, and the comments just made it worse.

Welp, guess he's hosed then. Unless of course the President ever gets into making LPs, then perhaps he'll decide to try and convince Congress to add "Internet Insurance" to the healthcare law.

"ARE YOU DEPRESSED BECAUSE YOU TAKE THE INTERNET WAAAAY TOO SERIOUSLY? gently caress it, your meds are now covered dawg!"

Also while I'm at it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post333762771

I'm assuming that this statement of his....has changed?

BMS fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 15, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

unfair posted:

At minimum around 60k a year, probably more like 100k.

Jesus H. Christ. Just the 60K figure is a COMFORTABLE living...for Let's Play? Oh slowbeef, if only you'd known this poo poo was going to turn into what it has. Should've just paid the money to have "Let's Play" copyrighted, with a small portion from every penny made from anything "Let's Play" put in your pocket. gently caress, you'd be a rich, rich man.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

You're currently sounding like slowbeef's best friend.

What...I knew there was somebody that was kicking up a fuss about being the "first LPer" because he had some old VHS tapes or some poo poo that he made of Pac-Man or something back in the day, but this...? We must right this wrong! Because just think, in the future, kids around the globe could be in school learning INACCURATE HISTORY ABOUT LP. Ivan the Terrible will have taken a footnote, to the historic "glory stealer" known as Slowbeef the Faker.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wind God Sety posted:

As for building a resume, I imagine video editing skills look quite good in certain fields.

Somewhere at Paramount Studios...(or any other video production company)

"" posted:

Hmmm, says here the applicant is 27, past employers list McDonalds, grocery store clerk, waiter, and he was the lead student in Video Art at his High School. Not looking too good here...

but wait.....

it says here he dropped out of college/passed up on college to produce "Let's Plays" for the internet.......

APPLICATION APPROVED. HIRE THAT MOTHER FUCKER.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought that LP had recently become famous among those people that keep up with internet culture and such. While it's certainly popular amongst those that do, you also have to keep in mind a good portion of these people (I'd say at LEAST 50%, but I've no real numbers to back this up, so I guess it's invalid in this statistically correct LP argument), are under the age of 18....i.e. children. So while I'd certainly agree that LP is famous among those that keep up with internet culture, it's nowhere NEAR the "famous" level of movie/tv stars, professional sports, or perhaps the most apt comparison, stand up comedians (most of the big YT LPers are apparently oh so funny).

Long story short, LP is internet famous, real world...not so much.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wait a minute...that's actually quite impressive. I assume he's playing by looking at the screen through a mirror, while holding the phone backwards.....that's.......well, quite impressive.

Livingtrope posted:

I think that kid is adorable and I'm pretty sure that means I'm getting old :(

I don't know if that should do it, or the fact that he can't be more than 6/7 and has a smart phone......Of course, I remember my parents having one of those 80's Brick Cell Phones, and I still use an old flip phone that was all the rage back in 2004. So yeah.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Oh Phil :allears:

For those who don't want to watch: Phil gives a big speech before a stream of FFXIII: Lightning Returns about how other people have given up on the game because it's bad and they were only playing it for the money, but he's not like that and he's a true gamer and he's in it for the long haul and is gonna finish it for everyone!

Cut to him giving up at the final boss, then finding footage of the ending cutscene on YouTube to stream in place of him actually beating the game himself. Gets called out on it, and he tells them to shut the gently caress up and not to "hold people on YouTube up to their selfish standards."

I gotta say, I'm starting to like this guy. It's like the perfect way to gently caress with people. I just wish he was doing it on purpose.

"You're going to criticize me, because I didn't beat the final boss. Well, you fuckin' do it yourself, and leave me alone"...might just be my favorite line so far. I always thought it'd be pretty hilarious to garner quite a bit of YouTube popularity, and then just gently caress with people after you've gotten to that stage, and I think Phil is about as close to that as I'm going to see....even if he's being serious, it still comes across like he's just running a massive troll scheme...and I can get behind that. It almost reminds me of the massive shitstorm that happened when the Schildkrote thing was going on, and they used UltraJMan's account to start loving with people, (back when he was one of the more popular YouTube LPers). LP Drama Nostalgia yo.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We all know that scarecams aren't looked upon in such a good light around here. But like all Picture in Picture advertisements, we know that eventually, the scarecam will evolve into the video being NOTHING BUT the scarecam.

So I present to you fine goons and goonettes, a glimpse...of the FUTURE OF LET'S PLAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xULbTPS9SY

And there's a part 2 that's relatively new!: (complete with humping comment to open the video with!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfXKjZxfFo

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Seshoho Cian posted:

If it makes you feel any better I strongly considered it.

drat man, you had us all by the balls, and you didn't deliver. There's nothing I hate worse than Goatse, except Goatse blue balls.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RSCNyx posted:

Well, this exists. I don't really know why it does, but there you go.

If you survive beyond the first minute, you're stronger than most.

This is about the most disjointed, meme-tastic LP video I believe I've seen on YouTube..(or anywhere for that matter). And the bar for all that poo poo had been set pretty high after some of the things I've seen.

Slowbeef, once again, the children of your creation baffle me. Do you ever have a feeling of fatherly prideshame when you watch something like this?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sneaky Fast posted:

Are all SA Lpers off limits for being Retsupuraed?

Hell no. I think there's been a couple that have been RP'd in fact. Plus, every so often we have our own little golden LP threads here that have matched anything YT can spit out.

RSCNyx posted:

Well, this exists. I don't really know why it does, but there you go.

If you survive beyond the first minute, you're stronger than most.

Also more on this fellow. Prepare for some hot tongue action from this guy, as he reacts to Creative Content on YouTube!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHNAr5o5pw

BMS fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 3, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. I looked at some of this guys other videos, and I was just speechless for some of them.

Bad LP videos are one thing....fine whatever. We'll poke a little fun at your meme-tastic video and call it quits.

The Nostril-vision video of him doing the weird tongue thing to a Creative Content video on YouTube. Pretty creepy, but it's the internet, there's creepy poo poo on it.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a video of this guy and his (judging by looks 20-something year old) friend in the Wal-Mart Toy Dept., trying on all the kids masks, slobbering in them, putting them back on the shelves for some unsuspecting kid to get. As well as rubbing a DVD on his nasty beard and putting it back, and making a complete rear end of themselves. It's really just loving disgusting. So I'd say this individuals LP video is the least of his worries.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Angrymog posted:

They do to a crazy amount - I did a fake newbie Dark Souls stream a few times using the name 'TheBritishChick' - stupid numbers of viewers compared to my normal channel, even when I changed the channel background to a photoshopped Tom of Finland piece.

Social experiment time!

Get somebody with a neutral voice, create a channel known as Pat's LP, with the channel slogan "IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!". See which gender YT prefers!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also, there is this little area....

http://letsplay.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:List_of_let%27s_players

quote:

SA

If you really wanna get your lp out there, go here and post it! The olny downside is that you have to pay 10 bucks to post, but you'll get TONS of exposure!

71.7.226.143 23:53, October 7, 2012 (UTC)pikachu433

slowbeef, just because you wanted to hype SA, you didn't have to go so far as using a different name to create this post, even though I totally understand Pikachu is your favorite Poké!

quote:

The Retsupurae page was deleted because "We hate them"? And yet Pewdiepie has a section saying "Loud and comical, his LPs aim to entertain." I feel like there's favoritism here. Most likely because whoever deleted their page felt that even informing people of them is supporting them. Year, just a hint of favoritism.

edit: Holy hell, this Rabbit Hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper. All of the "personal" Let's Player pages, some of the personal pictures posted on them, descriptions such as "pessimistic but upbeat". This is truly an interesting horrible place.

BMS fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 6, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RSCNyx posted:

To be honest, I considered it more of a blessing.

I could go without hearing him mindlessly say, "buukake" when he sees a pile of dead animals. I wonder if he considers any large group of things a "buukake".

Honestly, It took me roughly a minute or so to notice that Tails little mouth expression was his mouse cursor on the middle of the screen, and not just another lovely graphic of the game. I wonder if he strategically put it there for that exact purpose. Deep meaning yo.

IceAgeComing posted:

the first loving tumblr post when i searched posted:

So if you don’t like that PewDiePie dry-fucks a plastic doll in his videos, then don’t loving watch him.

Technically, he/she makes a point. That's one of the main reasons I don't watch PewDiePie. Unfortunately however, he/she made this technically truthful statement for all the wrong reasons.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

1. Rather than just throw up a screen and call it a day, try to incorporate it in the UI somehow

Just thought I'd chime in on this with the thought of having a developer/VA guest commentator. I absolutely wouldn't mind a tastefully done facecam bit with the LPer and a developer/VA of the game. But then again, that comes back to not detracting from the game. In that instance, it wouldn't, as you'd actually have a relevant part of the game being "shown"....instead of just advertising some rear end in a top hat who decided to buy it and play it for the internet.

I mean, damned if I'd complain if I saw an LP of Lords of Shadow, and they had a Patrick Stewart (Patrick Stewart is hopefully FAR too classy to gently caress with LP), facecam up.

But then again, just exactly how many times has this happened, having people involved with game production as a guest is a rare, RARE thing, even with the top tier that's sometimes displayed here.

Basically, having an apt, non-abrasive facecam moment in an LP, happens about as often as health insurance companies don't jack their rates under the new HC law. Practically doesn't happen!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RSCNyx posted:

The ending to this video makes me sick. Not that the rest of it is great or anything, seeing how he has absolutely nothing of value to say about anything.

Awww yeah, the Neo-NotSoInformative-Cornshaq be droppin' MAD beats at the end yo. Subscirbe, comment, and like, yous gonna love watchin da Ather DAWGS. "Axe him no questions and him tell youse no lies, he'll be the LP god as soon as PewDiePie dies!"

Spin that poo poo.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Buttass posted:

My doctorate is in butts and asses. That includes covering them.
That's about the best response you could have used there. Not bad sir.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I think this image is in the wrong thread.....well wrong sub-forum even.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wilkin posted:

On a literal note, I wonder if a Facebook of LPs could work.

Only if we get video status updates like this.

I hope he gets his new headset so he can post another hour and a half long SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT video!

Also, an LP Facebook, should have plenty of downloadable games and poo poo that you can annoy impress your friends with by having it post constant updates to their wall thing whenever you play!

"PEWD BUSTER 9000"
"Scarecam Revolution"

ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr DJB posted:

Someone done did write a let's play thing and I said things in it:

http://westernreport.fims.uwo.ca/index.php/they-play-video-games-so-you-dont-have-to/

quote:

While a YouTuber’s earnings depend on the number of views amassed, Brian Warner of celebritynetworth.com estimated that Pewdiepie and TobyGames – two of YouTube’s most popular gaming channels – respectively earn $7 million and $2 million annually.

GOD. drat.

That...that can't POSSIBLY be right...can it? From loving Let's Play? hahahahaha

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

From the grapevine I have heard that is absolutely true. edit: I should say the ranges are true. I don't know exact figures.

That is not factoring in merchandise, paid appearances, etc. Those figures are low.

Regardless, I had heard the 6 figure mark being tossed around, but well over 7? That's just completely mind blowing to me. Honestly, more power to whomever can actually make that kind of dough on LP, it's just.....wow.

I can see it now, soon Harvard will offer a Doctorate program in LP.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Highwang posted:

I find it baffling that out of his fanbase, there was one man with enough fervor and competence to pull off something like this.

In that vein, I'm surprised "We didn't manage to avoid drowning!" didn't get taken down either.

Well thank god there is more than one account that hosts these "This is how you DON'T Play" videos.

Would truly be a shame if this video was deleted before I could use it at the end of each chapater update of LoS to show how a true master plays the game.

Seriously, the part with him in the "Dead Bog" at the start of that video. This game is handholdy as gently caress, and he STILL CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.

Then of course, probably the most hilarious thing I've seen DSP related, is that during the second titan fight (12:35 approx.), an NPC, that generally offeres subtle hints about how to beat this thing, starts popping off with lines I've never heard before, and starts borderline bitching at him. (approx. 16:30)

Mr. DSP Experiment Guy, you want a challenge, I suggest you try and watch his LoS series. Just 30 minutes of the edited video I posted above was more than I could stand, maybe you can fare better!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Not all pewdiepie fans are kids. There's this guy, for example.

Ok, which one of you mother fuckers is this. He basically described himself as somebody from the goon.jpg thread.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

They even have a dedicated editor;

C'mon slowbeef, without a dedicated editor, they couldn't do that crazy Vegas picture in picture stuff...LIKE THIS.

Get it, it'd Birdo in DKC. BIRDO. DONKEY KONG. Is there a little similarity there? Ohhhh I think there is...n't.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danaru posted:

He added Birdo because the thing Jon was yelling sounded like the same beat as Birdo's theme from SMB2‎

I've listened to that segment 3 times now, and it sounds to me like nothing more than somebody doing a horrible phrase to a record scratch. The Grumps humor is apparently far above me....AND THAT'S OK BY ME!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oh wow! I haven't seen that show in AGES. They used to show it on BBC America, albeit under a different name, "Brilliant!". Time to catch up on some of that.

:edit: Plus, while I'm at it. AllanGordon posted this in the Recommendation thread, but I feel that my response better fits this one, so gently caress it.

AllanGordon posted:

currently in the market for a really just hardcore lp like i want some total thugs just throwing down while theyre playing you know? i mean im not racist but no white lpers allowed i need some ghetto rear end motherfucker talking jive in my ear while he plays some lovely video game i played as a kid (100% runs only though)

and just to give a heads up if he's going to throw out some "niggas" you know to keep the momentum up im totally down with that so give me those recs

Well poo poo I gotcha covered my honky bro. HE ain't quite the jive turkey you're lookin' for, but he's close. The game ain't OG either, but whatever.

Here, get a load of THIS!

Also warning, for those that are offended for whatever reason by gay jokes, that link is time-stamped to a specific story about the LPers encounter with a gay looking dude in a V-neck....while he beats the poo poo out of some werewolves.

BMS fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, maybe I have a different opinion on humor than most, but I think that light racial/homosexual humor can be funny, if done right. The problem is, that doing it right is a lot more complex if you want it to actually be FUNNY. 90% of the racial/homosexual (or even white/straight 'jokes' for that matter) revolve around statements like. "OH WOW, HE'S WEARING A PINK SHIRT, THAT'S SO GAY.", or "LOOK AT HIM EAT THAT FRIED CHICKEN, HE MUST'VE BEEN BORN IN COMPTON.". Which isn't funny at all, at least for me. Humor is subjective sure, being a moron isn't.

• Locked thread