Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

It kinda started to fall apart when Sonic 06 came along, for me. I didn't last through that LP. I haven't watched them since the other guy came in to replace JonTron.
Yeah, sounds about right to me. Their playthrough of the Sonic portion was pretty good, although it had its low points (like in Kingdom Valley, where they deliberately ignore a hint icon, several times in a row, that tells them how to play as Silver, who they've never played as at this point, and then whining that they have no idea how to play as Silver). However, by the Shadow portion you can really tell they just don't give a poo poo anymore - talking about literally anything else, even when interesting things happen on the screen (like Shadow roundhouse kicking Silver in the back of the head - they even start a video just before it happens after an earlier video had already shown it, and in both cases they're talking about totally random things unrelated to the game).

It was about this point that I just gave up on it - it seemed more like this LP was about watching them talk about random crap and not the game, and I was only ever interested watching them suffer through the horrible game that is Sonic 2K6. If they're not going to deliver that, why should I keep watching?

Jon left the show not too long thereafter, and I've never bothered to see if his replacement was any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would anyone watch a Sonic 2006 LP that isn't pokecapn's LP of it anyway?
I'd already watched pokecapn's by that point, and wanted to watch more people suffer.

That's my reasoning, anyway.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

bobjr posted:

The Game Grumps have racism in them?
A little bit here and there, yeah. Watch from 3:58 here to around 5:30. It's bleeped out with a "dude, Jon, not funny", but it's still pretty obvious what Jon's saying.

(That said, Arin's "impression of Jon" starting at immediately after, at 5:35 - I recall that being one of my favorite moments from the brief period I followed them.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

slowbeef was watching a slowbeef?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BMS posted:

So slowbeef and Diabetus. If you ever decide to look for another one of those Sword of Vermillion type videos....well, look no more!
Personally, I want to remember what the hell video it was I borrowed this clip from (for NeoGAF's "Real next gen box art?" thread):

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

About all I remember about him is that he had a sprite comic where he had a female character named "Jen" who was, more often than not, a black-colored, much-more-naked Tails (she didn't even have the luxury of shoes/gloves like Tails does). I believe it was the fan character of an actual female friend of his, too, not somebody he came up with entirely on his own. I'd have assumed she just felt like having a character like that beforehand, but after hearing some of these accounts, I have to question if that's actually the case.

Also recall some Flash animation where he and some friends say random words like "galloshes". For some reason, that has stuck with me over the years, despite me not watching said animation in around a decade.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

The audio for that flash was actually a pre-existing comedy sketch. Search for Bulbous Bouffant on Youtube.
Oh, good, I can feel safe in still finding that thing amusing, without worrying about supporting this guy in any capacity.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All I know is that Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade LP convinced my little brother to go out and get his own copy of the game. As far as I care, that makes it worthwhile.

It's a pretty decent LP from what I've seen, too. I can only imagine how insane the amounts of research it'd require to plan out a 100% sidequest run like he's doing, however; Xenoblade has a drat lot of filler sidequests, and several that permanently expire after certain plot events.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jamesman posted:

I know he's a trigger word around here, but TotalBiscuit put up a video today that responded to this and did a fairly decent job of hitting the points regarding all this nonsense.

Would this be an appropriate thread for things like review/critique videos, or is there a better place for those kinds of things?
I dunno if he's a trigger word or not on here, but Jim Sterling also put forth his two cents.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Patch90 posted:

I think the closest we'd get is pewdiepie dressing as a parrot and playing flappy bird with this monstrosity.
So kinda like this monstrosity, but with more Occulus Rift?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I've always thought Freedom Planet as a game best held off on LPing until the Torque/Spade/Milla's Adventure Mode DLC comes out; that way, the LPer could dedicate a single video to each stage and highlight where paths or bosses differ between all five characters, instead of, say, doing full playthroughs as each character and all the redundancy that'd come with that, or a single playthrough as one character (typically Lilac) that'd miss out on the stuff the other characters go through (eg: entire character-specific stages like Aqua Tunnel, Trap Hideout or Pangu Lagoon).

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've heard anything about the status of that update. I know Torque was playable at PAX South and East (slowbeef briefly mentioned his hands-on with him in a Retsutalk), but he's not been made available to us alpha/beta testers as-yet. Spade was playable in several stages in alphas/betas, at least...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

F. Lobot posted:

Is there a character that plays like Gunstar Heroes?
That'd be Torque, the DLC character that's only been playable at PAX.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

About all I know about Scott Cawthon is that he was originally doing some kids game featuring a beaver who bought robotic beavers to chop down trees automatically for him. The CG was pretty firmly across the uncanny valley, and Jim Sterling called that out. Scott took it pretty hard, but decided to play up the creepy factor and now we have a horror game series with three-going-on-four entries that's a smash success on YouTube.

The man knows how to make lemonade out of lemons. I can respect that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Realistically, though, I expect the plot to be akin to the Minecraft novels that've hit bookstore shelves, which are somehow a real thing that I didn't just pull out of my rear end.

I like Minecraft and all, but unless you do a Lego Movie humorous spin on the whole thing, it never really struck me as a series with lore deep enough to be worth exploring. Of course, I also thought it'd make for thoroughly boring videos, too, yet it's one of the most-watched games on YouTube, so I obviously know nothing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

What on Earth are the plots of those books?
A synopsis of one of the titles I remembered off the top of my head, Quest for the Diamond Sword:

Amazon posted:

Steve lives on a wheat farm. He has everything he needs to live in the Minecraft world: a bed, a house, and food. Steve likes to spend his mornings in the NCP village and trade his wheat for emeralds, armor, books, swords, and food. One morning, he finds that Zombies have attacked the villagers. The Zombies have also turned the village blacksmith into a Zombie, leaving Steve without a place to get swords. To protect himself and the few villagers that remain, Steve goes on a quest to mine for forty diamonds, which are the most powerful mineral in the Overworld. He wants to craft these diamonds into a diamond sword to shield him and the villagers from the Zombies.

Far from his home, with night about to set in, Steve fears for his life. Nighttime is when users are most vulnerable in Minecraft. As he looks for shelter in a temple, he meets a trio of treasure hunters, Max, Lucy, and Henry, who are trying to unearth the treasure under the temple. Steve tells them of his master plan to mine for the most powerful mineral in the Overworld—the diamond. The treasure hunters are eager to join him. Facing treacherous mining conditions, a thunderstorm, and attacks from hostile mobs, these four friends question if it’s better to be a single player than a multiplayer, as they try to watch out for each other and chase Steve’s dream at the same time.

Will Steve find the diamonds? Will his friends help or hinder the search? Should he trust his new treasure hunter friends? And will Steve get back in time to save the villagers?
Source, in case this somehow sold you on the concept

Also, skimming the synopsis (yes, I didn't read it before posting it, shut up), I already see one glaring inconsistency: you don't need forty diamonds to make a diamond sword, you only need two. Steve is a damned showoff.

I mean, it mentions a diamond shield, too, but last I checked Minecraft doesn't even have shields... yet...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, at least they put the chat on the side of the video screen instead of beneath it like it had been on the old layout.

Still rolls upward way too fast and abruptly to be remotely legible.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

inthesto posted:

Does anyone, anyone on the planet know what ideas or emotions "kappa" is supposed to communicate?
Smug superiority.

Punchability.

The real-life human embodiment of the Dreamworks smirk.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Listening to the first Sonic Adventure video i'm not getting a crazy hatred feeling of the game from them.

They're making fun of the cutscenes which is grand. They're getting weird glitches which are pretty funny.

Do they just go mental later on in the videos or something?
Well, FWIW, this is the series where they basically called for people to start hating on a guy who wrote a Knuckles FAQ on GameFAQs when he was 12 and forgot to mention that the emerald locations were randomized - although they quickly realized what they'd just done, pulled the episode, and reuploaded it with that poo poo edited out.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

If I recall correctly, the latter.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ah, my mistake. I actually haven't watched the video, only heard about the kerfuffle second-hand.

Yeah, they'd apologized profusely when they took the video down, and the FAQ maker was pretty chill about the whole situation even before they came out and did that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On that note, I've heard that Nintendo's apparently outright pulling videos featuring TASes or ROM hacks of their games.

I mean, I suppose it's their right, but that's still kind of awful.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you had to show to the world at large one Let's Play video in an effort to make a good impression, which LPer would you pick?
Research Indicates

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SA2's search levels are considerably worse than SA1's, anyway, by virtue of being much larger (seriously Meteor Herd was just ridiculous) and only giving you the radar for one piece at a time. SA1's aren't good, but at least they're smaller areas and let you go for the pieces in any order you feel like, so you can prioritize closer pieces over the one the game arbitrarily decided was first in a list.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tae posted:

What is the qualifier? Because in terms of buggy games, this ain't even top 5 of this year.
Maybe the qualifier is "part of an already-well-established series" or something, because within that qualifier I'm struggling to think of much worse in 2015 (although, as noted, Gen 8 in general gives us Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric as a strong contender). Without that qualifier, I suppose the poo poo Jim Sterling looks at in his Squirty Plays would come festering up to the top instead.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tae posted:

You want something that still exists for some reason, it's gametrailers. With higher production than a lot of mainline game sites somehow.
For which I'm pretty glad, actually. I don't really pay any attention to their reviews or hosting of trailers of games anymore, but I really enjoy The Final Bosman. His somewhat-dorky offering of more optimistic views on video games every Wednesday acts as a nice counterbalance to the much-deserved sharp barbs Jim Sterling throws out on Mondays, I find.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I can't watch this without chip and ironicus holding my hand :negative:
Me either. It's only marginally less painful, but I'll take that minor reprieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, his Video Game Show What I've Done and Nitpick Theater videos have their own respective characters, I suppose, but the Jimpressions (née Squirty Plays), Early Jimpressions (Early Access Squirts), Best of Steam Greenlight and Greenlight Good Stuff series are just him shooting the poo poo generally, yeah. (Can't comment on Boglin Watch, I cannot bring myself to care about them.)

• Locked thread