Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I had never heard that they were planning a Global Frequency show, and now I'm sad that we won't get it.

That would have been a kick rear end show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

boom boom boom posted:

A mythological god led an alien army to devastate downtown New York, but was repelled by an above the law millionaire with a robot suit, that monster that rampages around sometimes, another mythological god, and an actor who died in WWII, all led by a shadowy secret government organization that didn't exist until like, a month ago. Literally every preconception everyone ever had about the world is wrong. poo poo should be going absolutely crazy.

Well, as long as we're speculating based off of some nebulous idea of 'realism' then there's a whole lot of varied responses.

There's the truthers who spam youtube and the internet with unverifiable conspiracy theories and blurry cell phone footage (whatever SHIELD can't buy,steal,bury) "Obama lied, New York died"

There's the folks who will declare it a false flag attack ala Sandy Hook

There will be many flavors of hero worship possibly even bordering on the religious:
from a rebirth of Norse religion (outside of the Stormfront crowd)
loonies mixing steroids and pcp and painting themselves green
Tea partiers dressing like captain america instead of uncle sam or w/e
To the mentioned (in the show) "sweaty cosplay girls" outside Stark Tower.

Bringing up 9/11 as a comparison is actually kind of apt. Because it'll be a similar kind of thing.
Some people lost family and friends, some people were stuck in front of the tv for months, but a lot of people just don't actually care one way or another beyond 'gosh that was a tragedy'. The vast majority of people are too apathetic and self absorbed to give too much of a poo poo.
The only real difference is that we would feel good because we beat the bad guys, instead of bad because the bad guys won.

My point is that there's a whole lot of wiggle room for what we've seen to be entirely plausible within the narrative framework we've been shown so far.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

The great thing is that this very show can actually address that sort of stuff at times.

That was kind of :thejoke:
The Rising Tide = truthers crossed with the Anonymous/ wikileaks folks.

Stark Tower cosplay girls, etc.

We've already seen these, and it's pretty much guaranteed we'll see more stuff in that vein.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm excited as hell for the new shows and being on Netflix they can say poo poo or show blood once in awhile.

AoS is also good, but let's be real, it's a network show aimed at the kids who like the movies and comics, it is entirely "safe" and with that in mind it's also good, I get the feeling that people are bitching about it because of what it could never be.

Also, Terry Crews for Luke Cage, make it happen Marvel.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

Define 'safe'. In five episodes we've already had women prancing around in their underwear, Ward beating the poo poo out of people, corpses in just about every episode, a woman being immolated, fairly liberal use of firearms, and a bomb going off in someone's head. The "show is aimed at kids" argument doesn't really hold up if you actually watch the show.

It sure sounds great to say, though.

When compared to a lot of things in the same timeslot, yeah it is safe, and it's the kind of stuff that shows up in exciting actiony shows that kids watch, the only example of yours that actually holds water is the lady getting immolated in terms of graphic poo poo shown on screen.

Everything else is either implication, or it's the same poo poo seen everywhere else.

But hey, it sure is nice to feel smug that a children's show isn't "complex" enough for you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

You realize that kids can actually enjoy shows that aren't targeted at them, right?

They sure can! But you're sidestepping the fact that this show, and the movies they come from are targetted at kids, they're PG-13 at most, and refusing to engage them as such is ridiculous.

Comic fans these days are largely adults, but comic fans are not actually who these shows/movies have been aimed at. These are aimed at the kid who will buy the captain america backpack and lunchbox because merch money is more lucrative by orders of magnitude than catering to The Comic Book Guy. Any edginess that leaks beyond that is going to be in little nods and winks to the grown ups that most kids media has been doing for years.

Complaining about simplistic characters and plots in media designed for people who haven't been immersed in similar characters and plots for decades, is smug and moronic.

Fake edit: you want edgy, go watch Punisher: War Journal or something

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DFu4ever posted:

I don't agree that the movies and AoS are written for and targeted at kids. However, they are very accessible to kids, which in turn allows Marvel/Disney/Fox/whoever is producing super hero movies to use those franchises to specifically target kids in the toy market.

My argument essentially is this: A show that is accessible to kids is very much more likely to have simplified themes and situations that are unsatisfying for adults who have seen those same themes done with much more subtlety elsewhere and seen them repeated so much more often, but that taking the show to task on that level is akin to yelling at a teacher for not teaching Shakespeare or Algebra to first graders. That poo poo takes time.

I'm entirely in agreement that the characters are flat and the plots are simple, my disagreement is in that being a bad thing for AoS, or Marvel/Disney.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Happy Hippo posted:

Peter Dinklage for Kingpin. Seriously, just cast him and never address it.

This, but have a really big dude be his 2nd in command who we think is the real kingpin until a surprise reveal.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I thought the Kingpin in the Daredevil movie was the only good part of that movie, I hope they do something like that again.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bobkatt013 posted:

James Spader and generation 1 Ultrons.

Oh...OH!
I think we know who should play Ultron now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to get somebody who wants to play Herr Starr. He has some of the best lines in the comic. Richard Moll as Starr would be wonderful.

Udo Kier is my fantasy casting.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sentinel Red posted:

Either of the guys who played Nathan and Rudy on Misfits for Cass. They'd both nail that charming/endearing scumbag thing.

While Nathan was and is probably my favorite of the two, the actor who plays Rudy is basically perfect, hell, Rudy is basically how I always imagined Cass to be.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
That moral, and also its presence in Fight Club, are why I still appreciate those works today.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gaz-L posted:

The 3 part finale to season 1 was awesome, if you've come this far, you should stick it out.

Or just watch those three episodes and move on to S2.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

I just marathoned the first season of Arrow in slightly less than a week.

And god drat it Hulu only has the last few episoded, CW too. I thought they were supposed to have the entire season as we went along! Why am I paying these guys five bucks a month! Are these episodes on any other service(something like iTunes but I don't use iTunes)?

Hulu does this with every series. I don't know why, but in a week or two everything should be back.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

E the Shaggy posted:

I really want Paddy Considine for Cass.

Joseph Gilgun or bust :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sentinel Red posted:

Word. He's at just the right age to pull it off whereas the other names bandied about are just too old (especially Tyres).

Seriously, for those who haven't seen Misfits, go loving watch it!
Gilgun's character Rudy shows up halfway through and he's basically Cass by any other name.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Soonmot posted:

I didn't even finish watching season 3. Did they make a season 4?

Yes, and it was a glorious triumph of terrible everything.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Given the "success" of American Horror Story, I'd imagine higher ups are more open to the idea of Anthology series, new characters each season, etc. Than they were the first time this show aired.

And I personally hope they don't bring back any past cast or characters.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

404GoonNotFound posted:

But then he doesn't actually eat brains because we don't want his legions of fangirls to hurt us.

And fanboys. :colbert:
As bad as Heroes was, it did give us Zachary Quinto, so I can't entirely hate it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ToastyPotato posted:

I still maintain that the worst part of season 2 was the South American siblings. That whole subplot was a huge waste of time.

Maaaaayaaaaaaa!
Aaaaalllleeeejaaaaaannndrooo!

I thought they wasted a lot of potential with Micah's cousin (whatever her name was). Yeah a lot of it was :rolleyes: but I thought her power was cool and not too powerful, and they could have done something better than what they did.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bobkatt013 posted:

Better than watching WWE and doing awful wrestling moves?

Well I thought the taskmaster style mimicking was cool. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ToastyPotato posted:

The old Heroes threads probably wouldn't survive today. Smallville I don't know. I can only base this on how much a few people whine very loudly about other people criticizing Agents of SHIELD in its thread. It's kind of a bummer.

Nah, threads that turned into nothing but threadshitters and circlejerking got gassed back then too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

WarLocke posted:

Well, besides the one scene where it's just a camera cut and poof he's gone.

You do have to admit that's pretty realistic from an outside observer's POV. Not exciting or dynamic or particularly fun to watch, but it's realistic.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
If true, I'm kinda 'eeeeehhhh' about it. I like Hall, but I'm dubious about him pulling off Matt Murdoch.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

Jason Bateman for Daredevil, Jeffery Tambour for Dr. Strange, Portia DeRossi for Jessica Jones, Terry Crews for Luke Cage,

I'm with you up til Iron Fist, Joel McHale or go home.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm guessing Simmons getting cut off because of something happening with all the agents running to the situation room is part of TWS stuff.

Yeah, as I understand the order of events:
This week's episode starts
Agent sitwell is sent to the lemurian star, the ship from the beginning of TWS.
Later on Simmons mentions everyone running to the situation room concurrent with poo poo getting real in TWS
The events of TWS play out. End of movie?
Next week's episode goes here?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Opopanax posted:

They can always save it for a big reveal (ie when their budget allows for it) and have him get burned Terminator style or something

I'm kinda hoping they go this route, make him a comic'ed up Terminator, and have his skin/human bits continue to atrophy/rot off.

Edit: I do think the faceplate is lame on its own, though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

Actors and directors love lengthy make up processes where you have to work your shooting schedule around it.

Well it's a necessary evil for genre productions.

See also: every sci-fi, fantasy, and horror production ever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

If Ron Perlman spent 6 hours a day in 1989 to be a lion in a soap opera you would think making a dude look like a robot for the foundation of the TV branch of a multi-billion dollar franchise in the year of our lord 2014 wouldn't be out of the question.

For fucks sake they even did it on Star Trek in the 60s.
It's not like it's a controversial idea here.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
For the record I hope they keep Ward as a villain, but they've definitely planted enough seeds for doubt.

There was that bit where they marched the hydra prisoners past the teams, and triplett is yelling at them, then Coulson pulls Ward aside to talk with him.

Then the next thing is Ward volunteering to go. It seems like plenty of time to cook up a plan.

On the other side though, it's just Ward and Garrett on that plane now, who's to say they can't/won't dump the bodies off before landing at the fridge?

For better or worse it's still a coin toss until at least the next episode.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
People act like such gigantic babies about spoilers.

I'd love to see what would happen if there were a forumswide amnesty on posting spoilers.
Spoiler: people would freak the gently caress out and it would be hilarious.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Superior
Prison for
Escaped
Atlantean
Refugees

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm sold. Snarky british supernatural with slightly more budget is right up my alley!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Madkal posted:

I look forward to going to some conventions and trying to figure out which cosplayers are dressed as Castiel and which ones are dressed as Constantine.

Blonde hair vs brown I'd imagine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Some people pronounce it Con-stan- t-eye-n, and others con-stan- teen.

This apparently a big deal because...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Madkal posted:

Well I have been saying it wrong all this time. How was it pronounced in the Reeves' film?

Teen.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Is it fall yet?

That looks AMAZING

Seriously, I don't care if it's a trope, or lame, or bad writing, I loving love the whole "dude gets superpowers and is loving psyched about it" type of stories.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gaz-L posted:

They may name it that, but Tom Cavanaugh has a bit of exposition there which seems to amount to "Um, we done hosed up and opened portals to other dimensions, and now people have superpowers", which seems to be their justification for why Arrow just has people with what amounts to a bit above Captain America powers, and Flash has guys that can summon tornados and poo poo.

This also should tie in nicely with why Flash can't just do Arrow's job for him, which was a worry for some people. Arrow would have a hell of a time dealing with Tornado guys every week, and so they each have their own cities with stuff in their own 'weight class' to deal with and we can still get the occasional crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DynamicSloth posted:

Great trailer, but I'm pretty sure I just watched 90% of the Flash Pilot episode.

That's because you did, it was meant as a Cliff's Notes for advertisers, and not a typical trailer.