Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Kinda amazes me that Marvel is still pretending Hell's Kitchen is a crime-ridden ghetto and not a thoroughly gentrified neighborhood full of gays, yuppies, and gay yuppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Fox's Gotham sounds like a straight-up Smallville redux now.

quote:

Network entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly says "Gotham" won't be just about Commissioner Gordon and that fans of the DC comic can expect villains Catwoman, Riddler and the Joker.

When Fox gave a series commitment to Batman prequel Gotham back in September, the excitement around a TV drama about the Dark Knight's hometown was somewhat muted by confusion over which classic comic book characters would make the journey to the tube.

Focusing on the origins of the caped crusader's police liaison, Commissioner James Gordon, many suspected that Batman would not be part of the series. Fox Entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly says that's just not the case.

"This is not one of the things where you bought a franchise and then none of characters people know," Reilly told reporters during Monday's Television Critics Association winter press tour. "We will follow Bruce Wayne right up until the point where he gets interesting."

Reilly confirmed that the series will be as much of an origins story for Batman as Gordon. The pilot, executive produced and written by The Mentalist showrunner Bruno Heller, is in the process of casting -- and Reilly supposed that they will be looking for a boy of about 12 years old to play the young Wayne.

"It's Gotham teetering on the edge," he said. "This is all of the classic Batman characters."

The Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman were also mentioned as villains who will be part of the series. Reilly also said that the plan is for the series to ultimately end with Bruce Wayne putting on the cape and becoming Batman -- much as Smallville did with Superman.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

They had Jimmy Olsen, who was about the same age as Clark, be a regular on the show for years, and then killed him off only to reveal that James was his middle name, and that his little brother was actually Jimmy Olsen.
Also, said little brother was played by the same actor as the first Jimmy Olsen. Really.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Mimir posted:

Wasn't there going to be a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series at some point? What happened there?

It was in development, but I don't think it ever got further than producing some test footage.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Batman '66 is officially coming to DVD.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Further pilot season news: CW has ordered iZombie to pilot, and Neil Marshall will direct the Constantine pilot.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Gotham sounds astonishingly awful, if io9 didn't get a fake script.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The Flash has been ordered to series.

As has iZombie.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, who's Shipp playing in The Flash?

I don't think his actual role has been announced yet. Might be wrong.

Axel Serenity posted:

Not familiar with iZombie, but it sounds like it could be good, quirky fare for The CW. It's a premise that's just silly enough to mix humor and horror well if they play their cards right.
FWIW this sounds only very loosely based on the comic - the main character here doesn't even have the same name. Plus in the comics she was a gravedigger rather than a medical examiner, and her friends included the ghost of a girl who died in the 1960s, and a gay wereterrier (yes, wereterrier, not werewolf), none of which seems to have made it into the TV incarnation. That won't make it a bad show in itself, though.

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 8, 2014

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Arist posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelsMODOK/status/1314574116809183233

Not what I was expecting the MODOK show to look like, but... I'm kinda digging it?

did not know this was going to be stop-motion, i guess that makes me marginally more interested?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

WandaVision reminded me that, as far as I know, no Marvel writer ever bothered to explain exactly how or why Wiccan and Speed went from being kinda-dead fragments of Mephisto's soul or whatever they were to being living teenagers who were much older than they should have been given the sliding timescale and who also (each) had their own set of biological parents.

iirc Heinberg, Gillen, and all subsequent writers just elided over the mechanics of exactly how that happened, and there was actually a scene in Unstoppable Wasp a few years ago that made a joke about how convoluted their origin was. good thing the MCU won't have to deal with that baggage if it introduces them

the Scarlet Witch ongoing from a few years ago had Wanda addressing this, though it wasn't an answer so much as a "hell if i know"

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i don't think we need to put speculation in spoilers?

the marketing has featured 6 sitcom eras (50s through 00s), so it seems likely that the last three episodes will take mostly/entirely in the real MCU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Nope, the deal was struck in June 2019, and the WB streaming service that would eventually become known as HBO Max had been announced the previous October.

Reportedly, WB decided not to order the series itself simply because they deemed it too expensive, whereas they could make a guaranteed profit by selling the show to Netflix. But as I alluded to above, WB has had major management changes since then and the current regime is far more willing to tolerate even large near-term losses to drive HBO Max subscriptions, as all of Hollywood learned to its consternation last month, so I very much doubt they'd have made the same call today.

idk, WB already has a trove of IP that's (arguably) less risky

(I know the comics are consistently popular but I still don't think there's tremendous mainstream name recognition, maybe i'm wrong)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I posted some rationales for this in the TVIV thread, but honestly the biggest clue to me is that they are trying really hard to sell us on Wanda as a villain here, which certainly makes sense for people who read the comics or have even a casual knowledge of Scarlet Witch...which means that there's gonna be a swerve coming. Like, the very fact that the SWORD guy is being so aggro about this makes it very sus. It's just TV logic. v:shobon:v

At the very least, I think it's same to assume that Wanda has been genuinely surprised by a lot of things that have happened here and isn't as in control as it might seem, which isn't far off from presuming someone else might be in control.

she literally says just before the doorbell rings that she doesn't know how Westview got started in the first place

which could be her lying or repressing memories, but i didn't take it that way, especially with her (seemingly) genuinely shocked to see Pietro

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You know, between this episode and last episode I just had a thought: since we saw dead Vision last episode briefly, and she stole his body...she didn't "resurrect" him at all and is instead sockpuppeting his corpse
it seems like Vision is very much sentient rather than a puppet of Wanda, but I think the implication is that his life(?) is tethered to Westview and he can't leave

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 6, 2021

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Watch yourselves, spoilers for the next few episodes are abundant on reddit.

the only major "spoiler" i'm seeing on there is a proven fake

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

People ate posting poo poo in FB groups, I saw a screen cap that was not from the last episode so I bailed out.

yeah i'm also forgetting that there were a few very brief but pretty spoilery (and definitely not fake) clips that leaked a week or so ago, was looking for "new" spoilers

no i'm not saying poo poo here

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
tbh I just interpreted Agnes' husband as a sitcom trope (haven't a few shows had recurring gags around characters who were mentioned but never appeared onscreen)?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Oh I 100% expect the twins to be gone by the end of this show, or at least for Wanda to think that they're gone. We can't get Young Avengers unless they get sent off to different families somehow, and we're absolutely getting Young Avengers.

don't altogether agree with the second sentence for the reasons others have provided, but i could see Wanda "losing" the twins to some mindwipe/reality-altering scenario, and having them rediscover their powers and/or parentage as part of the Young Avengers setup, without the convoluted reincarnation angle

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
you all need to let Dottie go

i know she seemed important when she first appeared but if she's had about 15 seconds of screen time since then she's not going to turn out to be a major character in episode 9

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
me, i'm still disappointed with the lack of Sy Ableman post episode 1

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

theironjef posted:

We have movies plotted out with release schedules through 2023 right now, tons of film and TV shows, and that's without Covid interference pushing everything back. Oh and none of them are X-Men or X-Men related. Just from a practical standpoint I don't think it's super likely they'd define one character as a mutant now and then just sort of keep that weird status quo for the next several years. Maybe in 2025 when there's finally an X-Men movie they'll toss in a "there have been others before us" kind of line, but I don't think it's about to matter.

It’s not a popular opinion but I am also betting against the m-word or any other explicit X-Men setup for the same reasons

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

believe it or not, Hulu's Hit-Monkey animated series still exists and has a November premiere date

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvels-hit-monkey-first-look-and-release-date-revealed-for-hulu-series/

wow, i'd assumed this was quietly canned given the total silence on it for the past... however long it's been since Howard the Duck and Tigra & Dazzler were dropped

has Hit-Monkey appeared in any comics anytime recently?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
the lack of a release timeframe for (almost) all of these announcements is annoying, they didn't even (re?)confirm Moon Knight or She-Hulk for 2022 let alone anything more specific

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i thought the DCU Swamp Thing show was... OK. I would've watched more if it continued but don't feel like we lost much of anything with its cancellation

The order getting cut at the last minute really showed; the last episode had a perfunctory scene at the end that was I guess intended to give some sort of closure, but several subplots end very abruptly, and there were some hints about Anton Arcane showing up (I assume that he would've been set up as the season 2 villain had the full 13 episodes been produced) that never went anywhere

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
sucks.

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1516936610788556806

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

Bone's kind of cursed as far as adaptations go, huh?

Two different studios (Paramount in the late 90s, WB in the late aughts-2010s) had the rights and it never went anywhere. There's also the PC game series from Telltale that fell through after two episodes.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

one of the bigger problems (though probably not the biggest) with the post-Endgame MCU has been the frequency with which they've introduced new characters, and to a lesser extent subplots, and then - in not all but very many cases - not given any indication where those things might be followed up on. It's greatly contributed to the sense that they don't have a real plan and are just throwing poo poo at a vaguely Multiverse Saga-shaped wall and seeing what sticks.

thinking of how they've been very gradually introducing a Young Avengers roster over the past several years but still have yet to actually announce a YA project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAL2c0eYYsE

finally