Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's the Federation Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXB84fpWzg8

And StarFleet's favourite furniture store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cip0TY91sjI

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Dark One posted:

I'll never be able to watch Rascals again.

Oh god, I'd forgotten about that. :gonk:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1st AD posted:

It's not B5, it's the ending to the Year of Hell where all the changes to the show in the previous 2 episodes had literally gotten reset and it was back to status quo for the next episode.

And that's why Year of Hell is simultaneously the best Voyager arc, but also the worst. It teases us with what it could have, and should have been and then taunts us by hitting the reset button, literally and figuratively. God, gently caress Voyager.

The way Voyager should have been, in my opinion, is like this:

Me, in two incarnations of these threads ago posted:

Janeway is an inexperienced First Officer given a CV-padding cushy job on a science vessel, the Captain dies and she has to form an alliance with the Maquis captain. Voyager uses retrofitted technology scavenged from the Maquis ship, most of which are stolen black market tech and heads to the Gamma Quadrant, where Acting-Captain Janeway knows a stable wormhole to the Alpha Quadrant exists. The first half of the series is set in the Delta Quadrant, with simmering tensions between the hardliner Maquis and the Federation and Federation-converted, resulting in an attempted mutiny. The second half is set in the Gamma Quadrant, which would be right in the middle of the Dominion War, and Voyager has to fight its way through to the Wormhole, while getting assistance from rebel anti-Dominion factions as well as the convenient appearance of the Borg, who have managed to track the USS Voyager to Dominion space, indirectly running interference for them. Get them back to Federation space about 2 or 3 episodes before the series final, and actually show the consequences of their long absence - a formal investigation into their 7-year disappearance, passengers like 7 of 9 and Icheb that they picked up on the way coming to terms with life in the Federation proper, Janeway facing up to the fact that several families are broken because of events that happened on her watch, whether or not the Maquis will be facing charges and how they handle the news that not only are all the other Maquis pretty much dead, their cause is completely pointless now because the Cardassian homeworld is also a burnt up wreck.

Re: the various Delta Quadrant species, I also believe what they really should have done was to have it so that they'd either deliberately downgraded their technology to just being able to fly in space and maybe low-speed warp, so the Borg will just simply ignore them or for them to exist in huge mobile fleets that scavenge and manage to largely evade the Borg in the same way a large shoal of fish evades a predator.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1st AD posted:

I dunno, I don't think Babylon 5 was really all that good - they had a great 3rd and 4th season but everything else is a giant pile of poo poo to me. The cast was just really weak to me and the quality of the show is basically held up by Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik. Also I think I would have trouble watching any scenes with Jeff Conaway nowadays knowing how much of an addict he was and how it destroyed his life.

Yeah, I remember B5 being described somewhere (possibly in one of these threads) as being something like an 800-page novel that's poo poo for about 300 pages, gets great for about 200 pages, and then goes back to being poo poo for the remaining 300 pages.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Whalley posted:

Ugh, goddammit Voyager. You're the worst show. I'm going to watch every episode of you by the end of December. gently caress you, Voyager.

I like you. Welcome to the thread.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yolocaust Denier posted:

Anyone know if there is a way to objectively find out who has the shiniest head between Picard and Sisko?
Its a pivotal point in the story I am writing involving a Romulan assassination plot.

Picard had more opportunities to stand in shiny locations, which meant there was more light for his head to reflect. Sisko rarely had such opportunities, but he still managed to have an aesthetically pleasing sheen to his cranium. In light (har har) of these circumstances, I must make it a points decision to the Emissary.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

There's about 50/50 between people who are actually identifying its insane number of problems and hammering out why they don't like it, only for the responses to be 'waaah waaah i liked it so if you don't like it you clearly don't like fun. star trek is clearly just this one thing that happened one time and not many things to many people'

Hey mate, just because your cricket team is poo poo is no reason to take out your frustrations on the most recent movie.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It doesn't mean you have to do it now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

It makes each DS9 episode all the sweeter when it comes after a Chakote or Kim centric Voyager episode... except Melora. You can gently caress right off Melora.

Melora, the character, makes me think of this scene in Life's Too Short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJiB2BGaoc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The only real duff note that TUC hits is probably the slow clap at the end. I hate it hate it hate it. Love the rest of the film, though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

After watching Take Me Out To The Holo-Suite, all I can say about baseball is gently caress BASEBALL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cLOBHEON20

But then again, I'm sure most of you uncultured swine would be the same if the episode was about true gentlemen's sports like cricket or rugby union.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Federation in DS9 tolerates some pretty skeevy poo poo at times, and they most likely know that the circumstances that surrounds the Romulans entering the Dominion War wasn't exactly above board.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Reset Smith posted:

Wait, seriously? No way that spoiler is real.

Yup. The Hirogen took over Voyager between episodes in season 4 and extended the Holodeck to most of the ship, where they ran a Nazi-occupied France around the time of the D-Day invasions sim. The crew, except for The Doctor and Harry Kim were all brainwashed into thinking they were their respective characters. The Doctor was basically made to fix up any of the crew that got hurt, while Kim was left out because gently caress that guy.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 29, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rynder posted:

I haven't watched much Enterprise - are there Nazis there? At least I don't remember any in DS9.

Yeah, right after the Xindi arc at the end of season 3 and the start of season 4.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes, that's exactly what happened. The Doctor's family was flawless, like the family from Leave it to Beaver, so she made it more interesting and realistic.

"Interesting" and "realistic." She basically acted like one of those lovely fuckhead kids that opened up your Sim City save file on the school computer network back in the 90's and caused all the disasters in your meticulously crafted city and then saved it as it was. gently caress B'Elanna, what a shithead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Doctor was living in a fantasy world where nothing goes wrong. B'elanna has a cynical view of the world, she grew up in a lovely family situation and knows reality isn't nearly so tidy as the fiction he'd woven for himself. Sure, she "killed" his fake daughter, but the girl wasn't a real holo-person and she was doing it to teach the Doctor a lesson about how the world works. In the end, did he not come to care for his daughter and feel real love and anguish?

What makes her think it's her place to make unsolicited changes to someone else's holodeck programme?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, I think the rise in overall quality is influenced by the proliferation of DVD and BR, as well as people binge-watching instead of waiting patiently each week.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Space Hamlet posted:

It does have problems though. It's emotionally manipulative as gently caress in how dreadful the "realistic" family life becomes - the only positive moment The Doctor shares with any member of his family after the adjustment is, of course, with his daughter, whose "realistic" self is introduced to us as a shrieking brat. It also obviously takes most of the air out of the premise when The Doctor's character development is reset by the very next episode.

The problem with the "realism" is that it veers so far in the opposite direction from what The Doctor had originally programmed his family to be like, that B'Elanna's idea of "reality" is itself shockingly unrealistic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, if you only ever want to sit through one "Holodeck Run Amok" episode, The Killing Game is the one to pick.

Maybe, in some horrible universe where Our Man Bashir never happened.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Star Trek would be sued since Harlan Ellison is involved, and if not a law suit he will be pissed at someone.

poo poo man, now that he's been mentioned at least twice in this thread, he's probably contacting his lawyers to see if he has any grounds for a lawsuit right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You're a filthy, disgusting liar. Must you turn this thread into a house of lies!?

Voyager's peak is about on par with a comparatively mediocre TNG or DS9 episode.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Voyager is to Star Trek what Brad Haddin is to wicket keeping.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Course: Oblivion is my most hated because it teases us with the best outcome to a Voyager episode ever, only to cruelly snatch it away from us.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What the gently caress is this? I only know this is cricket-related because I'm in the Commonwealth, but the only people I know who play cricket here are Indian immigrants. Explain this with analogies related to the 2003 NHL roster, please.

Your posting is like Brendon McCullum's captaincy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cricket. :argh:

e: at least use a Parisee's Squares analogy, spoonhead

Mate, you've been dismissed for a duck.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, gently caress, thank you! Now I get it! I really do!

But wait, if this, then... who is the Wild? My favoured team, which Trek represents them?! :ohdear:

Minnesota Wild is the hockey equivalent of T20.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 2, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Please limit sports references to Parrises Squares or Anbo-jyutsu thanks in advance.

Quiet, you Ronan O'Gara.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Voyager fans are comparable to the Wallabies when playing for the Bledisloe Cup.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

I was gonna warn you all about Vagabundo in the OP but I'm all "nah. it's been a while. maybe it won't happen" and I've never felt dumber in my life

This is why England have the Ashes and the Wallabies are a joke.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

I wonder if Evil Geordi would have been a more interesting character or had better luck with ladies.

He'd have been Stefan Urquelle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

Thread destroyed

Wallabies destroyed or Australia's Ashes chances destroyed?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

please stop

Star Trek: Space Cricket Thread 2013/14

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm sure it gets awfully windy out in the demilitarised zone.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tighclops posted:

There's no wind in space, dummy

There's no quality in your posts, silly. :c00lbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In The Pale Moonlight is the All Blacks of Star Trek episodes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I had to google this to make sure you weren't talking poo poo about Avery Brooks. Can all future sports analogies be American Football or NASCAR so that American posters aren't inconvenienced? TIA

And yeah, In The Pale Moonlight is hands down Best DS9, and might be Best Trek episode of all time. It's not just great Trek, it's great Television.

American sports is the Pakleds of sports. Just be thankful I'm not doing as many cricket references as I was a few pages ago.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DrNutt posted:

So what you're saying is, don't underestimate American sports? Good advice. :smug:

What I'm saying is, you have to be a Voyager to enjoy American sports. :smugbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nah, man. The possibility of getting hurt is a definite part of athletics. It's a risk you balance everytime you step on the court, the pitch, the field, whatever. If sports became utterly safe, with no chance of being injured, they would lose that certain element which makes them fun, not just to play, but to watch. Can you imagine how pathetic a boxing match would be if the guys couldn't get hurt? World Cup soccer wouldn't be the same without players hurling themselves at the ground and clutching their knees because someone came within five feet of them.

Or rugby where it is mandatory for players to wear hard protective gear like shoulder pads and helmets, rather than just a mouthguard.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sash! posted:

People, idiots really, that say this sort of thing don't understand the mechanics of football at all.

It just means your foosball players are just a bunch of softcocks.

jng2058 posted:

And yet those people exist and there are a lot of them. Why can't they eliminate fighting in the NHL? Those people. I lived in Dallas for a few years and there was a sports bar I went to where there were chants of "Body count! Body count!" every time an opposing player was injured. Not to mention sports like boxing and Ultimate Fighting where there is literally no other point than injuring people.

We're really not that far removed from the Coliseum in Rome when you really parse it down.

What a bunch of barbarians. Rugby fans appreciate a good hit, but those who intentionally injure others are largely looked down upon and there are certain rules of engagement that are non-negotiable. Players that have to leave the pitch due to injury are also applauded for their participation and players that come back from a long-term injury or illness are applauded for even making it on to the pitch (a la Julian Huxley, who returned to rugby with the Brumbies after a 2-year lay-off to recover from a brain tumour. The crowd at Canberra Stadium gave him a standing ovation).

Now cricket is the ultimate gentleman's sport, where there is virtually no physical contact between opposing players other than the odd accidental collision that happens once in a while, and it's only the players' pride that gets damaged after some devastating wordplay. Like when Glenn McGrath of Australia asked Zimbabwe's Eddo Brandes why he was so fat, and Brandes replying with "because every time I gently caress your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

Also, if hew-mon sports get exported to other species, the Vulcans will really take to cricket, the Klingons will love rugby union and the Nausicans will probably enjoy rugby league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gau posted:

Also, NASCAR is boring as gently caress.

Speaking of boring as poo poo sports, I'm quite sure that motor sports in general will be replaced by small vessels like runabouts going around in circles. Also, yacht races like the America's Cup regatta will be contested with starships.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Everyone knows that the Nausicans favorite hew-mon sport is darts.

I suspect they'll be attracted to the biffo and emphasis on big hits that's the drawcard of top level league fixtures like the State of Origin series.

• Locked thread