Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I have to admit the more I think on it the less bothered I am by how different Cumberbatch's Khan was, except for that line from Spock about how Khan had apparently committed genocide on non-augments, that seemed pretty new to me. The personality shift though makes sense because of the lack of Space Seed, there we see Khan fresh out of the tube a charismatic leader in exile who is greeted with respect and courtesy by another leader of men in Kirk. During the attempted hijacking of the Enterprise Kirk faced and bested him displaying a degree of courage that Khan admired, in short Kirk gave Khan hope that the men of that time were in a way equals to the augments.

In JJTrek however he was defrosted by Marcus, who then held his people hostage to force Khan to serve him, an unforgivable insult to Khan's pride among other things, but it also showed fear of the augments that he kept the others on ice. So to Khan Marcus was a coward far below him and his people and that contempt clearly coloured his interactions with Kirk and works with Cumberbatch's performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Yolocaust Denier posted:

Are there any good holodeck episodes? Any episode that was improved with them being in? The only one I can think of is when Geordie got turned into an Albino invisilizard.

Going back to Brooks chat, this is my ringtone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

It's Only a Paper Moon?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Reset Smith posted:

Wait, seriously? No way that spoiler is real.

Never doubt how stupid Voyager can get.

http://i.imgur.com/YenobH2.jpg

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

But why? Sit around in there playing card games? It makes no sense at all. This had to be something he said when ripped off his tits on coke.

I might agree if I didn't know it was a fetish shared by others.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The threat of a mutiny isn't inherently bad, it's the assertion that the entire crew rises up as one and says "no you're just always wrong all the time" and kicks her out so a man can take her place.

A power struggle is fine, hell even Ron Moore's idea of "putting her on trial" mid-series is workable, but the idea that the first Star Trek series to feature a woman as Captain would pitch her out after just one year and continue the rest of the series with a man in charge is a staggeringly bad idea.

Yeah, while I think a mutiny would have made for a gripping season one finale and cliffhanger having the entire crew mutiny would be a bad idea, as would making the changeover be permanent. Start the next season with Janeway in the brig and Chakotay's more ruthless Maquis approach generating problems of its own, maybe Janeway could have crippled key computer systems and they've been forced to deal with workarounds. Ultimately the situation would be resolved returning Janeway to command extolling the virtues of the Federation approach but with her now willing to get her hands dirty occasionally, basically something similar to Kirk's frontier style captaincy where diplomacy is the preferred option but they know it doesn't always work. And of course there'd be some lovely drama and tension between those who mutinied and those who supported Janeway, especially if you mix it up so it's not just Maquis among the mutineers and Starfleet who were loyal to the captain.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Always possible his parents were on a research mission somewhere with poorer medical facilities or taking a sabbatical in one of those charming low tech planets we saw every couple of weeks.

Drone posted:

Does anyone have that gif from TNG of Reg Barclay walking onto the bridge wearing a pink uniform and talking about Troi stuffing her bra? I know this is a totally random request but Google is popping up with absolutely nothing.

From Google.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Henry Rollins is the living proof of the reveal in the Chase, truly he is all Trek humanoid species in one body.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

He also recently held a shotgun to Alan Partridge's head, but yeah Colm Meaney has a pretty solid acting career, he might not be the headliner but he gets regular work.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

This is a big reason I haven't watched DS9, I just couldn't stand that Ferengi bullshit from what I saw and it gave me an 'ew, I'm watching NerdTrek' feeling.

Honestly the Ferengi stuff winds up being a lot better in context since it helps carry on the character development of the supporting Ferengi supporting cast. Some of them are still stinkers though but keep an eye on Nog if you go though DS9, he undergoes a hell of a lot of character growth over the series and by the end I was actually quite fond of him despite despising him in season 1.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

CPColin posted:

Move Along Home?

Clearly the episode where Sisko builds a clock.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

TOS for over the top and camp.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

That's Patrick Stewart in 1979.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

We've missed the obvious: The Weyoun Chronicles.

Each week would end with Weyoun getting his neck snapped by Worf.

My Clone Dads, a young Jem'Hadar being raised by Weyoun and Iggy Pop Vorta with Worf as the cranky next door neighbour.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Bashir was also the viewpoint character of the Section 31 episodes.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Great_Gerbil posted:

2) Pretend you don't know what the future is going to be. In fact, try to watch it as a separate continuity unless they make a callback to something. Then giggle and move on.

Pretty sure that was why they threw in the temporal cold war in the first place, so when people complained about continuity they could just say, "Temporal cold war shenanigans! Whooo there is no set continuity! How Scary!" All while wriggling their fingers in the air and rolling their eyes.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

It begins to pick up when Sisko grows his beard and by the time he shaves his head it's pretty much going at a good pace, or season two finale onwards, still some good episodes before then. Since I liked the Bajoran politics and whatnot you might want to take this with a grain of salt but I found the last two episodes of season 1 and the first three of season 2 to be pretty enjoyable. Though you could easily mistake Bareil for a bedside cabinet.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Just select all and copy+paste into a wordpad file or something.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

What extended collector's edition? I can't seem to find it in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-lgI9YiNY

And it sounds like this is it on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Disc-Ex...avatar+extended

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Worf takes his baseball seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N22YyheMW-c

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Season 2 of DS9 has a fantastic shoutback to TOS with Blood Oath.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Tighclops posted:

After which, a young starship design engineer named John Eaves suddenly awakens and bursts forth from his pile of anime and mid-90's video games shouting NOW YOU NEED ME

I think you mean the Sisko decided to design a killing machine.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

I like how O'Brien in DS9 isn't American and as poo poo goes down you'll hear a bloody hell

Makes an Aussie or Englishman's ears prick up :)

O'Brien is one of my favourite Star trek characters, because even more than Scotty he's just that practical, down to earth guy doing his job. Pity about all the suffering.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Gau posted:

Clearly, any new Star Trek series needs to be shown on HBO or Showtime. This way, we can actually see Kirk having sex with all of those aliens, and McCoy Scotty cursing to make a sailor blush.

McCoy just doesn't strike me as much of a swearer.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Trent posted:

is there an EMH in DS9 towards the end?

Yes and no, there's an episode where Zimmerman is trying to make a new EMH using Bashir as the model because people don't like the version in Voyager. Having said that they explain everything you need to know about the EMH for that episode.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

I'd recommend removing the Time Travel episodes from their current position and set them to the Stardate in series continuity they occur if you're showing it to a friend with no experience of Trek. Simply because they'll lose a hell of a lot of impact and enjoyment from a lack of familiarity with the characters, especially All Good Things.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Admittedly some people don't enjoy the Bajoran heavy episodes in DS9 but I rather liked watching the growth and politics of the planet and DS9's relationship with it, especially since helping prepare it for Federation membership was why Sisko was sent there in the first place. S2 also opens with a nice little 3 parter of them so you might want to save starting it until you can do them back to back.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

The UK was similar to Australia in that regard but they're trying to force more privatisation into healthcare and education which is frankly very worrying.

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know... that makes me think you might actually be able to do a semi-serialized Star Trek. Well, in fact, it's already been done, it's called DS9. DS9 is episodic, but has story arcs and character relationships that develop over time. You could say that DS9 got away with that as it was rooted in one place, but why not consider the Enterprise to be a place as well, albeit a mobile one?

Imagine if in Best of Both Worlds, Picard got killed off and Riker became captain of the Enterprise with Shelby as his first officer. Now, that probably would have been a worse show so it's not really the best example, but you know what I mean.

I could see a TOS reboot show that still has a planet of the week format of sorts, but with someone like Kor or Koloth as a recurring antagonist and the threat of the Klingon Empire looming over the series, moreso than in TOS. I think you could kinda fudge it and have a show that's both somewhat episodic but also has season-length story arcs.

Of course Enterprise sort of tried that and failed, but I haven't seen much of Enterprise so I can't really comment on it.

Or maybe it just wouldn't work anymore. Now I've only seen a season and a half of Doctor Who, but it seems to follow that same format and appears to be really popular, so I dunno.

Person of Interest uses a similar format, a lot of it is cases of the week which you can pick up and watch at any time. Along with that there are flashbacks and recurring villains that make short appearances every few episodes to build the mythology and ongoing story arcs which then get a few episodes focused on them each season for some payoff.

Edit: now that I think on it Sleepy Hollow and Supernatural use a similar format of monster of the week cases sprinkled with references to a season long arc, then there are all the procedurals like CSI, NCIS and Law and Order . So while there is a continuing push towards serialised TV episodic is very much alive and well.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 10, 2013

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I assumed that 7 of 9 was still technically like 10 years old but had her development accelerated with borg maturation technology. So the Hansens mission could be after the Enterprise-D encounter.

According to Memory Alpha they started the mission the same year Worf killed a child and Nog was born. It was also the same year Riker and Geordi entered the academy.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

I'm more of a Beastie Boys man myself, kind of replacing Intergalactic with Assimilation in my head now.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

If I remember rightly Quark's nose wasn't quite ready for the pilot so they used a different prosthesis compared to the normal one, I think it's actually Rom's regular nose.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Mogomra posted:

An entire series of The Sisko going, "Bah humbug!" and then a handful at the end of, "Holy poo poo! Being Space-Jesus is great!" out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, DS9 is awesome, but character development, with the exception of Nog and maybe Kira, isn't its strong suit.

*Spoilers for people doing a first watch of DS9*

Not exactly out of nowhere, middle of season four he started coming to terms with being the Emissary after the prophets dragged that Bajoran poet out of time who took over for a little while and made it clear to him he actually was the Emissary. Then you have Rapture in season five where he has visions, rediscovers a lost Bajoran city and convinces the Bajorans to delay their entry to Starfleet in order to protect them from the Dominion. Just off the top of my head.

*End of Spoilers*

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

So post scarcity Utopia will make hipsters of us all... still worth it.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Funny that, most of the complaints I've seen for Voyager centre on the writing which resulted in reset buttons every other week or so and inconsistent characterisation. Even the biggest criticisms in regards to acting are generally levelled at the men. When they gave her something to get her teeth into Mulgrew was pretty good, not Stewart or Brooks level perhaps but with some solid writing she could have held her own.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

SombreroAgnew posted:

Also that article says Tuvok is "half-black, half-Vulcan" and unless I missed something I'm pretty sure that's not the case?

Pretty sure Tuvok is all Vulcan, unless they were trying to imply his characterisation was half-black, half-Vulcan?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Otisburg posted:

I think I mentioned before in the thread where that might well have been Brook's input.

When you think about it though, it's kind of a tightrope where you can fall off either side.

An uncharitable read of a black love interest for Sisko is like you said that it's sending an "anti-miscegenation" message. But giving a black lead a white love interest could be uncharitably interpreted as "a successful black man should 'trade up' to a white woman, black women are less desirable."

Really they should have avoided the whole complicated mess by giving him a gay Thollian romance.

American cinema also has a long history of not showing black men with white women, TV is a bit better about it but generally it's a lot more common to see a black woman with a white man.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Starfleet H&S, you do some work in engineering and the leaking warp radiation leaves you growing additional body parts all over the place.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Preechr posted:

And that Barclay suddenly became a super gung-ho hardass.

... It all took place on Barclay's holodeck didn't it?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

It seems pretty pew pew from the videos I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q2X32hZNk

I have to admit it looks as though it would be pretty fun for a party game.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Me too. I sat in the chair and ordered people around. I was sitting in the chair in first person perspective. There were missions to do. I never took manual control of the ship, although the Internet told me it was the way to go.. because I was the Captain. I told my guys and they did the pew pew (it's Trek not Wing Commander).

Bridge Commander remains my favorite.

Get enough people and you can do that with Artemis with the added bonus of throwing jelly babies at the head of your engineer when they're too drunk to get the power balance right. Man I'd love to be able to get enough people locally for a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Asteroid mining? Might have been for security purposes as well since I'd assume Terok Nor was a bit more secure than any planetside facility.

• Locked thread