Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

EDIT: Yeah, Liam only gets like that during the podcast. In fact, everyone's worst sides come out in the podcast. It's why the podcast is my least favorite thing that we do.

The podcast kinda goes both ways. It feels like it allows for some really hilarious tangents that you don't really get on LPs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

Your podcast is probably my favorite podcast so I'd be bummed as hell if you stopped.

Pretty much feel the same.

But I'd definitely throwing a "vote" in for looking into shaking up the format so that it's more enjoyable to do.

TheRealestMatt posted:

I think I might be the only person of the group who feels this way. So it can't just be me rotating out. I know Pat LOVES his soap box and never wants to get off it if he doesn't need to. Don't really know how Liam feels. Woolie certainly can't be off of it cuz he's the only one who knows how to do everything for it. So no, I don't think it's an option.

At the same time I wouldn't really see the problem of you sitting out from time to time if you already feel like you're not contributing all the time. That said, I suppose there might be some backlash because the podcast is the one place where you get all the best friends at the same time?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

As far as podcasts go, it's already really loving long.

Bombcast and SBFC kinda spoiled me on podcasts. Both ranged from 2-3 hours. The other podcast I listen to is an hour at the most and always feels too short.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"They really konamied it up" should be used whenever a company/entity fucks up something so royally despite having everything going for it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If there is an Undertale LP I hope they do a SH2 thing and give it room to breath where necessary. Yes, I want them to mark the gently caress out at the hype moments, but it will break my heart if someone goes gun-jumping dialog mashthrough.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Matt: So for the replay/part 3 are you going to show some of the stuff you have to play again? Or are you picking up where you left off?

e: You murderer.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 2, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

I killed Toriel in my first playthrough. I think it's the "intended" first playthrough route. Poor Mom Cow. :smith:

It seems to be a really common mistake - but there is a frog who says you may have to use mercy even when it seems like its not possible. If you also saw the trailer that says "the game where noone has to die" or are just a particularly stubborn person you might give mercy a few tries. I think it only takes one or two tries before it starts to illicit responses from Toriel.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Undertale is more like Mother 3 then Earthbound, because both of those games had events that turned me into a giant teary eyed babby.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

whogan whatpa?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Can't blame a guy for being hype about cool poo poo.

One of the best part of SBF is hearing them get hype and mark out about poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

I was using that as a recent example pointing out the recent trend over the last few months that you're slowly turning into Pewdiepie but sorry, I'm wrong. I'm the one with the bad opinion.

Being occasionally loud is a long way from "screeching profanities 24/7"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

It's really funny how woolie praised the neutral ending of undertale as being an 11 but chooses to deny himself the exponentially more amazing ending by refusing to play pacifist, dude, I beat pacifist in two sittings, stop being such a scrub.

Did he say he didn't do it? It I thought he implied he did the other ending and the neutral one was 11 already?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't name the Shitstorm "oops all horror games"

I liked when Pat got scared at nothing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whaaaaaa

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Liam's boss fight in Undertale would just be Papyrus but with guns instead of bones.

Gotta jump all those guns.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also shame Matt didn't just hold up to jump over the forest of bones, it's one of my favorite gags. Also see the intro is made by Cranky- I thought one of the guys on the team was doing it?

I completely missed that on both my runs, only to see a friend figure it out with no hint.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I love how Matt brings up the Worf destroying barrel almost every TNG discussion. Like no sarcasm, it gets a chuckle out of me.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 13, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So in MGS5 can the vocal cord parasite target different languages? Or is it always kikongo?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FF14 is okay. I really liked it when I started playing, but now that I got to max level I feel a bit bored.

Not sure if I'm just overwhelmed with options of what to try levelling next, or that the method of levelling alts is a bit underwhelming. The strong point is easily the story carrot and with that gone it feels a little dull.

Hildebrand sidequest stuff was incredibly amazing too. I love Pats comment that Hildy just breaks all the facial rigging.

E: Playing WoW for a very long time probably just makes MMOs similar to it feel a bit too familiar I guess. Can't help but find 14 a little clunky by comparison. I think 14's story/characters are far better done and presented then WoW since they actually go full on with the "you're the chosen one" thing rather then sort of doing it but not really?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's g-g-ghost!

That's no ghost, that's a Vita!

-slapstick running sounds-

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

We don't "fake" scares or something, if one of us shouts at something, it's cuz it startled us. It IS possible for people to to be taken back by different things, just saying.

If a box scared me, that's because I'm brave enough to admit it.

Or as it's come up many times, one of you shouting startles the other.

Shitstorm is reminding me that I as much as I am a giant baby coward who says he hates horror, I actually kinda like horror. Particularly that impossible space, things subtly changing variety.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Matt, I know negative feedback can be a total bummer, why you gotta worry about the one dude who didn't like the video?

Both-guys-blind stuff can be hilarious (like Spookys) but I really appreciate the format of having one guy blind, one guy knows what to do.

e: V Also that. Congrats man.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Warren posted:

I wonder how Woolie will feel about this

TL;DR Reboot got greenlit for a 26 episode season.

I don't think he's a fan of the whole "four kids enter the computer world" and "live action segments" stuff. I'm certainly not, because it makes me think of the kinds of stuff on YTV that would make me change the channel as a kid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The new reboot sounds a lot like Zixx, which was terrible

quote:

This series was developed by Savi Media and The Nightingale Company & Rainmaker Entertainment with YTV Original Productions.

:v:

Radio Paranoia posted:

In all honesty, if the CG segments are really good, it's going to lose some of the charm. Part of the fun of Reboot was the very polygonal "beep boop we are inside of your computer" aesthetic that ran through the whole series, even with the visual bump in seasons 2 and 3.

Well CG can be "good" without looking realistic. But yeah, I think it's important they go for an aesthetic that's not realistic, or it's going to lose what made Reboot, reboot. I'm more worried about the juxtaposition of real world + CG world, since that tends to be a formula for lame childrens show.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This week's podcast is getting its hits in. Loved the TNG and X-Files talk. (But disappointed that while they touched on it, they glossed over the whole part of that vampire episode cold opening with Mulder murdering a fleeing child.) Also "David cage announces new best friends LP" because that was my immediate though upon hearing that announcement.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Baal posted:

Why does Woolie find it so hard to understand why they don't kill the kids in Ultra Despair Girls? Like there are so many problems with the game and its characters, but that is not one of them. His comparison of Max and Komaru was pretty stupid too.

I didn't watch Ultra Despair Girls, but letting serial murders run free sounds really loving dumb regardless if they're kids or not? Like the trope of "whoops we let the badguy get away again" is infuriating. Liam sorta kept repeating that a building fell on them, but Woolie made it sound like there was more then one?

I bet if they had been creepy and hit on the main character Liam would be on board with the murdering.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I blame Liam for bringing it up on the podcast.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Imagine how dumb you'd feel if you missed the chance to save a bunch of people with minor rewinds because you thought you were going to do one big rewind, only to find out that whoops, Warren lost the photo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm with Matt and Liam's "I HAVE TIME POWERS."

Chloe is annoying when she decided to suddenly not trust Max. It's not like she comes off as skeptical of Max's powers, she had her prove them and asked her to use them for a few things.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The LiS ending feels kinda cheap.

I just hate the "you can't change time" trope. Having Max's powers linked to the disaster is the lamest and most obvious option and I almost can't believe they went with it. Why did Max get time powers at all? It wasn't to get Jefferson put away, the "good" ending alludes to Nathan's arrest solving that problem. While I enjoyed the series, the "good" ending feels on the level of "it was all a dream" - it undoes everything that happened, with the bonus of leaving Max probably traumatized.

quote:

It really is destiny saying "gently caress Chloe specifically" which is why more disasters are probably going to happen.

I was trying to figure out why this was touching a nerve, and I remembered back to when I saw "Final Destination" when I was a bit too young. Why the gently caress did they have the vision if they were supposed to die? gently caress off with your time police bullshit.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

And that's the biggest problem with it, IMO. The universe's (or, more accurately, the writers') apparent hate-boner for Chloe just feels so arbitrary and mean spirited - I mean, sure, she's kind of rude and angsty but nothing to the extent of making me feel good about having her get shot dead in some bathroom by NATHAN "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS" PRESCOTT NEEEEERRRRRRHHH.

If I were playing the game, I'd probably save Chloe too, simply because I - the dude sitting at his computer playing a video game - just wound up resenting the writers basically poking their head through the screen and going "NAH, gently caress CHLOE THO" for 30 minutes.

I don't think I agree the Writers have a hateboner for Chloe. Bad poo poo kept happening to her because fate decided that she would die at the hands of Nathan. Preventing that caused fate to keep on trying to kill her (the train for example.) It's just the writers harping on the "you can't cheat fate" trope.

But I don't get the point of invoking that trope. It's been done before, and it's not like the world is better for her dying there. The photos that follow suggest Nathan squeals on Mr. Jefferson and he gets locked away, but we already had a perfect scenario of Jefferson getting put away without anyone dying when Max rewound all the way to her Selfie and gave David(?) the heads up.

If you can't change fate, there has to be a drat good reason for it, and literally pulling a supernatural force out of your rear end just feels lame.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I do think a second season where you play as Chloe trying to escape Max would be a amazing twist and nearly save this seasons ending as a aside.

Max is clearly willing to kill thousands just to keep her and is actively ignoring Chloe's wish to set things right and all.

A game where the objective is to commit suicide, but a person with time powers keeps undoing it sounds like a really (interestingly) messed up game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: except those texts. Those texts and some other parts of the dream sequence were real great.

Yeah, I really liked the texts, particularly for the moment the friends looked at them. I love when games do that "things are repeating NO WAIT THERE NOT." But the rest of the sequence kinda felt like it dragged on a bit much.

I find it kind of hilarious how many perfect cuts the best friends were able to make with this episode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I the only person who liked episode 5 then? Because I thought it was great and a good ending to a real good game. Then again I always seem to have more positive opinions on things compared to others here.

I thought the episode did a lot of neat things, but the final choice is just lame. "You made the disaster by changing time" is the most obvious and done-before thing they could have gone with. The "good" ending is basically the equivalent of "it was all a dream."

Reminds me of the gag the Best Friends brought up of a twist being that there is no twist. "You faked out the hook and went with the hook" or something.

On another note, (regarding the R Mika thing) according to Liam, apparently developers aren't allowed to change things in beta? "Don't show me something and then change it"

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Man, I haven't listened to the podcast yet and all this talk is really making me want to skip it.

It gets some hits in.

I loved the snailborne reference in the email section.

speed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Baal posted:

Cloud's not the ballot winner, they would have said it if he was.

Yeah, I think the Ballot winner is getting announced at the December thing they announced.

The ballet closed in October, didn't it? No way a character gets done that fast.

Can't say i'm a fan of Cloud, and people are kinda right to be salty when he's not even in a Nintendo game I think? But I'm kinda cool with Final Fantasy getting some kinda rep and Cloud tends to be the biggest face of FF.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAkvM-rttM

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Okami and Viewtiful Joe are both good games.

But I sucked at VJ, and I really liked Okami's visual style, so I'd take a new Okami over VJ game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm loving Pat's Fallout 4 story and his rage about Mama Murphy stealing his bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think that was a prediction that cropped up before the podcast showed up. I don't think Liam made a big stink about Cloud or Smash when the topic came up on the podcast.