Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hope nobody poo poo on Nintendo's tribute considering one of their planned guests was apparently killed at that nightclub.

The guest they had planned was shot and killed in Orlando but it was a separate incident. America!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Have they learned how gambling works yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Inafune was a legitimate planner (game designer) on a bunch of MM games starting from MM3 and I don't see the need to downplay his input from back in the day to demonstrate how he's loving up today, and the same goes for Sakamoto (the Metroid guy) or anyone else people jump all over when good franchises go bad.

In case people are wondering, the actual director on MN9 is a Comcept/ex-Capcom guy named Koji Imaeda who was a planner on a few Star Force games and as far as I know, this was his directorial debut and there's not much evidence that he'd worked on pure action games prior to MN9. Why they put this guy in charge instead of any of the Inti veterans is beyond me... I guess they thought this style of game had been done so many times that it'd turn out fine no matter who was in charge. Oops!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blockhouse posted:

The planning was some last minute stage designing in MM 3 and 4. That's it. I'm not downplaying anything.

He was also a planner on X/X2 and then Legends was when he went into full-on producer mode, and when teams are as small as they were back then everyone pitches in beyond their purview anyhow. That being said, I wasn't specifically responding to you, just venting a little.

Inafune's always been a sketchy project manager, that much is clear, but people hand-wave that stuff if the game turns out fine. Dead Rising is the most obvious example - Capcom cancelled production of that game but Inafune kept the team working on it in secret because he knew if it reached a certain level of completion they (Capcom) would feel obliged to finish it. Like, he straight-up copped to that in the media and people were rooting for him because yay Dead Rising gently caress Capcom but holy poo poo how did he ever get away with that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It wouldn't even be that vintage, remember that hundred-man podcast they posted from some con, the one that seriously sounded like they were recording in a bathroom the room over from where the conversation was taking place? That was probably the worst "professional" podcast I've ever heard.

If they absolutely need to put out a podcast every week but can't/don't want to use a secondary recording device, maybe they should record a few episodes of them answering generic, non-dated email questions and bank them for the next time they gently caress something up. It's gotta be better than rehashing 2+ hours of conversation or whatever they're doing now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DumbparameciuM posted:

No, the fact that it keeps letting them down on both the podcasts and their LP's is what makes it not fine for their purposes.

I get what you're saying but I think you're overestimating how many of their issues are directly down to software/hardware fuckups and not just them being sloppy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Liam is reeeeeeeally biting his tongue on the MN9 thing, huh.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't like the idea of doing full playthroughs of action games that require a decent amount of skill and/or practice, either because they think it'd be boring to watch or because they're afraid of getting yelled at or just making a cool game look bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't watched Catherine but weren't people saying Woolie reassure people he was really good at the game before the videos started going up?

Phantasium posted:

The best friends bring up downloadable Ninja Turtles games and I can't remember if one of them was supposed to be at least okay because PS3 Out of the Shadows and Danger of the Ooze are both on sale on PSN.

I imagine the answer is "neither of them" but I don't recall.

Out of the Shadows is a bad but well-meaning brawler and Danger of the Ooze is an up-port of an unremarkable 3DS metroidvania by Wayforward.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

my cat is norris posted:

That was me alone communicating what I took away from the panel at Too Many Games. v:shobon:v The hype is real?

Oh, fair enough. It seemed weird that he'd explicitly tell people he was good at something if he's as bad as people say he is, especially when he seems to be the one who's most reluctant to play challenging action games on the channel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blockhouse posted:

Pretty sure what Mesothelioma means is Matt and Woolie trying their damndest to poo poo all over the game's graphics while Pat sits off to the side going "Actually this looked really good for the time." or acting like it's David Cage's personal fault a nearly twenty year old PC game doesn't map well to a gamepad.

Yeah, I'll always have some small level of admiration for David Cage because he had no experience and no pedigree and yet he somehow managed to squeeze out a ~shenmue killer~ with a fuckin' David Bowie soundtrack through sheer dumb stubbornness. Like, he's just some rando who saw Shenmue and Deus Ex and decided he could do it too, and then he did it... and it sucks, but it should be far, far worse and it's amazing it's at all comparable to any of the games he was aping.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Saltybet is good tho

Have they figured out how betting works yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess they thought Curse of Darkness would be too long for a blind playthrough?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why why why are they playing that poo poo with broken/severely misconfigured controls? Why didn't they force Woolie to fix that poo poo before they started?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't need a patreon to fund better video production, they need better video production before they can justify asking people for money.

The actual reason they don't do it is because people feel way more entitled to complain or criticise things once they're paying for them and they already get routinely dumped on as it is so they're hardly going to open themselves up to more abuse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Omikron is a bad game but their LP is completely half-assed - they're playing with broken controls because they couldn't figure out how to properly configure the controller, the audio has been all over the place (culminating in the last couple episodes which put the in-game audio a good 10 seconds ahead of the video/commentary) and they put Woolie in charge of the FAQ/s which he sincerely struggles to read.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

Maybe one day Woolie and Liam will learn that they can't work together well unless one of them learns how to fill in dead-air.

It's not a dead air thing so much as they just shouldn't be playing anything but action games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

A good poster posted:

I was listening to Liam get kinda mad about the length of the controller cables on the NES Classic, and it seems odd to me because it's obvious because you want to keep the console within arm's reach in order to hit the reset button to go back to the system menu. Does everyone just demand to be able to put the system under their TV and get up and walk over to switch games? Nintendo clearly decided putting an extra button on what's supposed to be a perfect recreation of an NES controller was a worse option than just using an unused button on the system itself.

This isn't 1986 and peoples' home media setups aren't designed for people to play with wired controllers three feet from their 40" widescreen TV, not to mention the fact that the NES Classic controller's cord is one-third the length of a real NES controller cord. It's a genuine inconvenience and pretty much everyone who owns one has the same complaint, Liam's not being weird about this.

The Famicom Mini got it worse - not only are the controllers hardwired to the system but they shrunk the controllers to maintain form factor with the console so they're absurdly small (around 25% smaller than the original FC controller).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What is it about space games in particular that drives people insane?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Improbable Lobster posted:

There are very few modern good ones and the genre has an old and small-but-dedicated fanbase.

Sure but the genre is full of scams and pie-in-the-sky horseshit stretching back decades; why does it persist and why do diehards keep buying into it when they should be the most skeptical of anyone?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rhonne posted:

I never understood why they made the werehog when they could have just used Knuckles for the fighting sections.

-the werehog design focus-tested extremely well with children
-they wanted to be able to say "Sonic's the only playable character" but still wanted to flip-flop between different gameplay styles

I don't understand why it needed fight sections

The daytime stages took an obscenely long time to make relative to how much time you spend in them and there was no way they were going to be able to make a sufficiently long game of just daytime levels; the nighttime stages were much faster/easier to make and could be made in parallel to the daytime stages so they were the most efficient way of lengthening the game, basically.

It's easy to forget that Unleashed was a really pretty console game for its time and some of the effects like the lighting were actually watered down in Generations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

HGH posted:

Heck I think the daytime stages don't even exist on Wii.

There are fewer daytime stages but it still feels relatively even for most of the game because the nighttime stages are shorter and you don't have to grind them for levels.

Then you hit the final zome with 5:1 nighttime stages and uuuugh

Liam is still getting off way, way too easy with this game. There are entire games of sub-werehog combat that he plays every week for fun. I also think I just prefer the dynamic of "Liam insists a game doesn't suck while the others sandbag him" to "Liam insists a game is bad and the others politely agree".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wordnumber posted:

Why do they talk/care about Sonic Canon so much in Unleashed?

Because they have a genuine affection for Sonic canon to varying degrees, sincere or not, and the reason they're billing this as "Liam's Ride to Hell/Prison Break" or whatever isn't because it's a thoroughly awful game like those were, it's because he has hyper-specific complaints about dumb little things that only in-too-deep Sonic fans would give a poo poo about.

EDIT: also, this game is fairly long with nothing else to talk about for most of the time so prepare for a whole lot more of that bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, like I said before, I liked the Sonic Adventure LP because I enjoyed the dynamic of Liam insisting it was good and the others not having it and I think that repeating that scenario might be the only way to truly make him suffer, seeing as he plays godawful poo poo on the reg and loves it.

It's not even that I need anyone to suffer, it'd just be more interesting to see genuine suffering/excitement than it is to watch them play middling games that they're convinced are better or worse than what's actually being shown to us.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He could probably convince Woolie to fix the controls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

A good poster posted:

I don't think anyone's seeing Unleashed's NPC designs as reactions to feedback from the character designs from Sonic '06. If Liam wants the people to look less cartoony, I wonder if he remembers the juxtaposition of Sonic and pals with the normal-rear end humans from the previous game.

He remembers it and he preferred it that way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

hoobajoo posted:

Never played the game, but it looks like it expects you to make actual racing lines where you go outside-inside-out. Liam would usually start kinda in the middle and not have enough room to finish turning.

Of course, he also fell off the inside sometimes, so maybe the drifting is just not good.

That's pretty much it - the drifting handles like actual drifting and not the typical gamey-game drifting, which is somewhat counterintuitive for anything that's not a car but is still something you'd think they would have tried.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other part is Woolie seriously, unironically sucks at reading guides for anything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Shovel Knight guy sounds like he popped a bunch of xanax right before they started recording

He probably did, he's a socially awkward, manic-depressive dude and when he talks about working himself into the hospital he's not joking.

He wasn't kidding about the way he handles his patreon, either - when he started that thing I don't think he posted a single update until he had a kickstarter to plug, and he bailed on his $70k+ kickstarter project after a while to go build his weird live-in streaming studio without bothering to explain anything to anyone (and getting pissy at anyone who asks for an update), and I think he has a second patreon for his studio now as well. I've heard enough about him to know it wasn't a cut-and-run and that he will eventually do the things he promised to do but holy poo poo I have no idea how he's still taking $300+ a month on patreon after all this poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 14, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

HoboTech posted:

Also wondering what the "format changes" are going to be (please don't let them go to 10-minute videos like some other LPers do). I know YouTube keeps loving with their algorithm.

He's been saying for ages that he wants to do more scripted/performative stuff but lack of time and occasional inertia from the other guys keeps it from happening all that often.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The podcasts are too long and it's crazy that they're only getting longer over time.

Tae posted:

3 hour meaty podcasts are good, except when they have guests because it's usually trying to squeeze blood out of water

I like it when they have guests and I wish they'd do it more often but I cringe when they bring them on from the get-go and expect them to sit through the entire thing - if it's someone they know and bullshit with all the time then sure, maybe, but if it's someone they don't know then do the interview as a pre-record and edit it in later.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Justice Sloth posted:

it'd be a shame to homogenise into what is generally considered normal for a podcast, purely for convenience.

3+ hour podcasts are only considered normal two people who listen to nothing but nerds-bullshit-around-a-mic" podcasts and pretty much all of them could be cuy way the hell down without being "homogonised".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Justice Sloth posted:

Did you even read my post, friend? Are you sure you know what homogenise means? It literally means, "to make uniform or similar" as in, to make a 3 hour podcast more similar to podcasts in general, which are typically shorter. You just got mad in the process of telling me what I was already saying.

I missed the word "into" so no, I totally didn't read what you wrote, my bad.

Even so, they could easily condense the podcast without diluting what people like about it but they never will because most of them are too lazy to make the effort or simply don't care to.

I'm singling out the podcast because it's the most low-effort thing they do and therefore the easiest to change if they so wanted to but really, their whole channel's in a rut and it's not hard to see why someone might lose interest in it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

lets hang out posted:

what is people's insane attachment to that

Suda's been on autopilot for a decade and that was the first game in a while that looked like he might be trying again but nope, they had to ditch it for more by-the-numbers Suda wackiness (or substitute Suda wackiness, he barely had anything to do with Let it Die).

Putting all that aside, this is the first Grasshopper game in a long time that's actually fun to play on its own merits and not just something you play for the aesthetic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Let it Die is a really hard game to showcase in one video, especially going in blind, but "they made a fine game look bad" isn't even peoples' major complaint.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Grouchio posted:

Why they decide to play Megaman or Sonic is beyond me.

Liam chose both games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

From the podcast, Wild Guns is bugged or something to be balanced for 4 players, and that never changes.

It's not bugged, it's just retuned for 16:9 which generally means more poo poo is happening at any given moment. The original game wasn't too hard once you got comfortable with the controls but this version's legit tough.

It's harder with 4 players because they disabled continues for multiplayer mode for no good reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dexie posted:

Eight and a half minutes into the Brigador video and I think this is the fastest I've ever been sold on a game. :stare:

The developers are goons and post frequently in the Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778563

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

Is cyborg justice some super hard game because they're getting wrecked on Easy

It's slow and your moves have weird inconsistent inputs and the difficulty is balanced in a really cheap way where later enemies just no-sell your moves and grab you whenever they want, that sort of thing. It's not impossible, I beat it as a kid and I'm no prodigy, but it definitely isn't fair and you'll get bored with it long before you figure out how to cheese the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

So now they're paying fans to make compilation videos and put it on their channel. Not sure how that works financially, but Pat and Woolie are finding new ways to avoid making content :v:

They're paying fans to let them host existing fan-made compilations on their own channel, so it wasn't even their initiative.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 21, 2017