Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Overall Summary:

The overall goal for a tablet is to be an on the go mobile computing option. Strengths that all tablets seem to have over laptops are:

-Portability
-Battery Life (compared to most laptops)
-Specific app optimization
-On the go notifications

Downsides:
-Specific productivity is still hit or miss. Whether making a powerpoint or editing a word doc works for you on a tab will really come down to what uses you specifically need
-Multi tasking is getting there, but overall tabs are still made to do one app at a time
-File management: I would still say if you need to either manage files or have a lot of storage in the traditional sense, that laptops still have the edge

***Depending on what you need, a laptop might be the better answer***

What's out there:

Apple iPad:

Versions and Pricing: Updated as of 03/22/16. iPad Pro 9.7" launching late march, see link below for preview

Applecare:

Review:
iPad Pro:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9766/the-apple-ipad-pro-review

Coming Soon: iPad Pro 9.7"
Synopsis:
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-pro/

iPad Air 2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8666/the-apple-ipad-air-2-review

iPad Mini 4:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9724/the-apple-ipad-mini-4-review

No budget? The iPad Air and Mini 2 are recommended if you need to save money and don't need the latest hardware. Check the refurbished Apple store link below.

Differences: the Air and Mini 2 won't be as fast, won't have touch ID, and they will not be able to do multi-view (two apps at once) like the newer devices do. If you find the iPad Mini 3 on promo, it is the exact same specs as the Mini 2, just with Touch ID.

On a budget? Apple offers refurbished options with the same one year warranty. Avoid old iPad models like the iPad 2, 3 or iPad with Retina (4th Gen).
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Android Tab of Choice: Nvidia Shield

Quick Specs/Summary:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9795/nvidia-relaunches-the-shield-tablet-as-the-shield-tablet-k1

Quick Review:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-mini-review-still-the-best-small-android-tablet-around/

Samsung Galaxy S2 : The Tab 2S is Samsung's top line, Tab E is cheaper line. If you want to buy a Samsung product, never buy the cheap one.

Pricing and Specs:

Review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9709/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-review

Amazon Kindle Fire: Amazon uses it's own app store. Most of the time the recommendation is something with Google Play store, even if its a little more its worth it for the difference.

Review:

Fire 8
http://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-fire-hd-8/

Fire 10:
http://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-fire-hd-10/

Barnes and Noble Nook: you can do better than the Nook

Windows:

Surface Pro 4:

Specs:

Reviews:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9727/the-microsoft-surface-pro-4-review-raising-the-bar

FAQs:

Q. Is <insert random never heard of brand> a good device to buy?

A. If you haven't heard of the company, it probably is not a good buy.

Q. What is the best tab for kids?

A. Assuming age range 3-8, something in an otter box or similarly durable case. iPad Minis are popular with the best app support, but if you just need basic apps the Nexus '13 and Kindles both function.

Q. Why does everyone always recommend a higher storage space than 16GB for iPads (either 32 or 64)?

A.

Shumagorath posted:

32GB is recommended because space is given without accounting for the size of the OS. On PCs that has almost never mattered but on iDevices it's a significant fraction. I was using ~10GB on the 16GB iPad Mini 2 before I returned it and I'd installed maybe a handful of social networking apps and downloaded a month worth of e-mail.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reserved.

Any thoughts or additions are welcomed. I will be updating this over the next month

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

That isn't true. Every tablet in that thread is running full Windows 8.1 not RT. RT is basically dead at this point.

Everything besides the Surface Pro or the higher levels of Dell Venue 11 Pro are the next generation of netbooks with the keyboard cut off and a copy of Office included. It works well enough on all the basic stuff on the go and you can connect it to an external monitor for the full PC experience.

Wouldn't call it a cluster gently caress but the lack of apps does gimp it compared to other tablets. It's probably best for students or people who travel alot.

(Here's a really extreme example of some guy connecting a Venue 8 Pro to four external monitors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k)

I'll make it less biased.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

Nice new OP Duckman.

Thanks. I'll be adding to it and then probably do a new recommend phone thread (a bit more work for that one), the holiday hours are what will happen my time frame on it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Enallyniv posted:

I'd like a Nexus and seeing them for £169 at Ebuyer has almost driven me to take the plunge... but I'm concerned about the storage. Do people really feel the pinch on 16GB devices with no microSD?

Personally $50 for the 32GB isn't bad and a good idea as a one time buy, but I honestly haven't had a need for the extra storage on my N7 (I do have the 32GB). It depends on what you do, I stream all my music and video and don't play many games, so it works for me, but I do have the storage for when I travel and may be away from the network. If you want to store some music I would def say get 32.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

So I see that the first gen iPad mini is actually explicitly not recommended - is it really that bad/outdated?

Basically I am looking to upgrade from my old sony e-reader, although I will likely do more than just read books (definitely need to be able to access epubs) though I don't know how heavy I will get with media/games.

As such, I don't really want to sink a ton into a tablet, I have an iPhone 5 and two computers that cover most of what I do. I don't want to waste that money either, though.

I can get a first gen iPad mini for $250 or a kindle fire for just shy of $200 (because ads are crap), but I really don't know which way to go.

Good info in the OP and good advice so far, thanks for that.

If you want it to everyone primarily for reading books get a Kindle Paper white. If you want multi functional get a tablet. I would second the recommendation of a Nexus 7, it's definitely the best tablet and best tablet for reading within that budget. iPads are Def a great idea, but you would want at least the Retina Mini for that amount of reading.

Anything will be better than your Sony e-reader.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

. When they find out it's essentially a larger version of their phone, they are let down.

This part is just corporate cool aid. I'll certainly like agree tablets aren't as powerful as PCs in many ways, but they are certainly more than larger phones. Unless they are like the surface RT and have no optimized apps.

Anyway, I'll be updating the OP, I'm just stuck working a ton of holiday hours.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

git clone trooper posted:

Why should someone buy a windows tablet over a nexus or ipad with a keyboard case?

Most people shouldn't.

Rent posted:

1) they really are bigger phones when it comes down to it.

No, you are still wrong on this.

Edit: I updated it to be a bit friendlier in the meantime. If anyone wants to write a blurb on Windows, feel free to PM it to me, otherwise I will write something more coherent when I have a moment.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 6, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

I've passed on the Fujitsu, it seems to handle streaming poorly and has an inadequate battery according to reviews. What about a HP TouchPad with Android installed?

The touchpad is old, slow and outdated, and I just can't see cyanogen on it being worth it. If $220 for a 2013 Nexus 7 is no good, you can find refurb 2012 Nexus 7s for $100-150 and it's still much much better hardware wise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Csixtyfour posted:

Best choice for kids 5 & 7? Leaning towards fire HDX's with otterbox cases for durability. Plus seems like kindle is geared towards kids with prime and freetime.
I like the Nexus 7, but we tried them last year and screens shattered after a few months. Nexus just seem very fragile versus my kindle fire that I have had for 2 years is still chugging along just fine. I want a tablet that can take the bumps and drops of everyday use from kids.

I would just say the app selection on kindle won't be as good as the Nexus or iPad. Otherwise for the price it could do the trick.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Martinpale posted:

Help me spend my Christmas money:

I had an 8gb Nook HD that I loved, once I put CM on it, mostly for the screen and the SD card slot. Sadly, the Nook has died.

I used it (and will use the new one) for reading, comics/magazines, Marvel Puzzle Quest, and some online stuff like e-mail, SA, and watching stuff on Youtube.

Do I just grab a 16gb Nook HD and throw CM on it again - it's familiar, and I know exactly what i'm getting. Do I buy a refurb 2012 32gb Nexus 7 - I hear a lot of 'buy a Nexus', and after having my Nook for so long, I kinda feel like I want something new. Expandable storage is appealing, i've got a lot of comics and the like, but 32gb is more than enough space. As a third option, I looked at a refurb 32gb Nook HD+, which i'd throw CM on, and might better facilitate my comics and magazines, but I hear that HD+'s are laggy.

My head says 'go with what you know', but my heart says 'you've done that, get something new.'

The nexus will be better on both software and hardware, and will be better supported over time. Plus, since it's stock android there really isn't a reason to bother rooting anymore (although I'm sure the support is there to a point if you still want to do that). Get the Nexus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

My GF is looking for a tablet for mostly light use, web browsing, email etc, probably some games but nothing too intensive. She has a price point of "around £100", and is OK with a 7 inch screen.

For that price as far as I can tell I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 8GB (with SD slot) or a 16GB Nexus 7 (no SD slot) (older version with 1GB ram).

From reading here people would seem to go for the Nexus, but can anyone tell me categorically why we should spend an extra £30 or so for it? Or the other way, why we shouldn't cheap out for the Galaxy?

The tab 3 7.0 has really bad hardware and resolution. Has noticeable lag. Absolutely get the N7. Spending an extra $100 (whatever that is in pounds) to get the newer N7 honestly isn't a bad one time investment if you plan on keeping the thing for a few years.

So, you shouldn't cheap out because you would be buying a buggy POS. Is recommend the Kindle over the tab 3 7".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CancerCakes posted:

My family is getting my tech incompetent grandparents a tablet, I'm advising an iPad 2 - they don't need retina as their eyes aren't great anyway but is there any other reason they might appreciate a later model, like I os updates or bad app compatibility?

If they are buying new, the iPad Air is only $100 more for a night and day better display and hardware that is two years newer. I think they would appreciate the better screen and the fact that their tablet won't be outdated the day it's given to them.

Seriously, at least get a 4th Gen, but you might as well buy an iPad Air. It's everything from software, screen quality and device performance on why it's a better idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beautiful Princess posted:

I currently own a HTC One and love my phone but I'm looking at getting a tablet and I want a 10" tablet. It seems that apple is the only name in larger tablets and has the better apps anyways. Is it really that bad owning devices that are on different operating systems? I'm not particular in terms of which OS I use.

To add to everything, you can easily sync contacts, calendars, pictures and info via Google sync and drive, they all work fine on an ipad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

More the fact I hate seeing 15 cards in iOS when I'm trying to multitask. I understand you don't need to actively kill apps. But a lot of people have a habit of doing it, or just want a "clean slate"

Can we just agree that you can like Windows all that you like, if someone asks about it you can tell them why it is so cool, and otherwise you can stop with the windows poo poo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Absolutely. This thread is incredibly toxic, considering I mentioned a few reasons for enjoying Windows 8 (while also complimenting various aspects of iOS) and I'm now considered autistic. Lot of keyboard warriors in here defending their precious tablets.

This thread should really just be renamed "Get an iPad"

Well, I looked back and you were Def white knighting Microsoft the last few posts. And really the thread should be "Get an iPad, Nexus 7 or laptop. "

I do agree that most people think they have to kill tasks for iOS and Android. It's a placebo thing and it probably doesn't help that sales people like me tend to just tell people that's what you do to make it run better.

That being said, the holiday madness with my job is over, so I'll mention that I'll be adding to the OP for Windows and other items this month.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 2, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I got some Xmas cash this year, and I'm looking to finally get a tablet. It's a pure gadget purchase - web browsing, fun apps, etc.

I've never owned an Apple product beyond a few iPods, which I finally ditched because I loathed iTunes. I first looked at a Nexus 7, but I already have a Nexus phone and screen real estate is too close in size for me. My girlfriend's iPad Air is drat slick, and I dig some of the stargazing apps and such that aren't available on the Android market. However, I'm a customization nerd at heart and know there are going to be some things I want to change that will be locked in on iOS - trying to do nerdy things on my friend's iPhones is an exercise in frustration compared to my Android. So, it would seem that the Nexus 10" is the right option.

The 10 is just long in tooth, and personally there is a bigger gap in apps for 10" tablets when you compare the nexus and iPad. I love my N7 and overall it's great, but a decent number of apps are up scaled still and that doesn't work as well on a larger screen.

Does having an android phone for tinkering make having an iPad ok? Having one of each tends to be the best of both worlds for people who like that, and with google sync you can have stuff sync cross platform fine.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Do any of you guys have one of those and care to comment on it? Should I be looking into the Windows options?

Nah. The only person who cares to comment works for Microsoft.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

soap. posted:

It's usable on either. He'd prefer a Windows tablet, but not if the iPad is going to be a better fit.

iPad is the easiest answer, and probably the most reliable on the go anyway. Price wise a 32GB iPad Air with 4G is $729, that's probably a good bet, and then just get an otterbox case. Plans for on the go data are $20-30 a month depending on carrier.

You can check the windows tab thread as well, but I would just get the iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Irradiated Haggis posted:

You're preaching to the choir as far as telling her to get a laptop, but she insists that it be a tablet.

You need to tell her she can't have her cake and eat it too. Buying into a category is nice, but She should get a laptop.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

waffle posted:

For what it's worth, I've never heard of the 2013 N7 having battery issues (though granted I haven't really been reading the Android tablet thread--this is more personal experience and having read reviews of it).

Seconding that my Nexus 7 hasn't had any noticeable battery issues. I've actually noticed better standby time since 4.4, something android was pretty obviously worse at than iOS, so I guess mileage will vary.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I am looking for a tablet and have the following wishes:
- A display size of 10'
- Good storage space (preferably with a SD card slot)
- Bluetooth and Wifi

It will be used for watching movies (Netflix), browsing the internet and reading.

I have had my eye on a Asus MemoPad FHD 10 which seems to fit all my needs and it seems like a decent quality for the price and have gotten some very decent reviews.
The Google Nexus 10 was also something I considered, but the lack of a SD card slot kinda kills it for me.

Are there any other similar products in the $200-300 I should have a look at?

For that price, screen size and features you will be a bit limited. Asus tablets aren't extremely popular on SA because they tend to get poor software support (future upgrades) but for that price range it may be your best option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'm looking for a tablet predominately for work/reference. Mostly, I'll be using it to browse e-textbooks (via Kindle app and Inkling) and online references with some general online browsing, etc. as a secondary benefit. I use a desktop or laptop to generate documents, though I could see myself the tablet occasionally with a bluetooth keyboard if it's the only device at hand.

I'm a PC/Android guy; I like my Google ecosystem and have been using Android-powered phones since the original Droid. I have never been a fan of Apple products, but I realize that this is largely because my life went C64->DOS->Windows->Win+Android. I hate the Kindle ecosystem after using my wife's Kindle Fire, which seems better suited for streaming TV/movies than for my purposes.

I went to Best Buy today to get a feel for a few options, figuring the Nexus 7 would be the right choice for me, but it just felt a little too small. The iPad mini seemed more the right size. I don't need the Retina display for my purposes, so compared to the equivalent Nexus 7, I'd be paying $100 for a bigger screen but an unfamiliar interface.

Are there any solid Android choices in the size/price range of the mini or am I buying my first Apple product?

The iPad mini is a great buy, but def only get the retina. It isn't just the better screen, the mini retina is just so much better for its price point power wise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

n4lrah posted:

Worth getting the Ipad air over the ipad 4 with retina? I heard apple had to recalls some of the ipad airs due to first generation problems..

I would say so. Twice as fast and super light.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InEscape posted:

OK, I bought a refurbished Vivotab Smart MC400 in September and really, really loved it, but it crashed and burned big time and the screen is totally fried. I would like another tablet, because that one was awesome.

I want:

Windows 8 (unless someone can really sell me -- I want office, that's most of what I use it for)
Keyboard
Good Battery Life

Can be one of those foldy fake tablets, that's fine, I don't care, but I need it to be less than ~$500. I know, but I wasn't expecting to have to buy two in a year. :(

It looks like the ASUS Transformer T100 is a great choice but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and I'm a little gunshy about buying from the Amazon affiliates because that's where I got this crashy, broken Vivotab. There are two Yogas -- the 11S is honestly too pricey but there's a cheaper one, is it garbage?

I guess that style works for you, I would look through a bunch of websites like woot, because I'm sure there are a lot of clearance specials.m

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

My friend is looking at the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" which seems like it has drat good specs but it drives me up the wall that it doesn't have removable storage. Are there any other reasons I should tell him to hold his money? (He doesn't seem to mind that he can't add storage to it)

The App Store just isn't there for the kindles. So while it isn't the worst buy, you'll get a much better App selection with the nexus 7 or iPad mini retina. Amazon apps still work fine as well, so the main reason to buy a kindle fire (amazon) is kind of moot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kernel panic posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for my dad. He just moved into a new place and can't get cable in his kitchen, which is where he's accustomed to watching stuff like the local news, Good Morning America and The Peoples' Court around mealtimes. He's gotten the idea that he can get a tablet on which he can watch these programs, but I'm skeptical - something like Hulu would do for primetime shows, but I wouldn't know how to go about getting the kinds of programs he wants.

Are there any solutions? I was thinking something like a Roku might be a better fit. He's not very tech-savvy - two years ago his Toshiba died and he bought a 15" MBP, but as soon as he figured out that all the Toshiba needed was a new hard drive he put the MBP in a corner where it's been gathering dust since he didn't want to learn a new OS. He's offered to trade me the MBP for solving this problem for him, so I'm relatively motivated to figure something out.

Well, if its specific as video on the kitchen, one of a few things:

His cable might offer live streaming (ala Comcast XFinity)
A service like Hulu
There is some live streaming (though not much), I believe ABC does stream live via their app
split the cable wire without telling said provider (if possible

Once you figure out what the medium is, then pick the solution based off of where you can get it. IE if iPad app get an iPad, or you could hook a Roku or Apple TV up potentially.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kernel panic posted:

Thanks guys! I dug a little bit and I think that a Roku + the TWC app is going to be the easiest solution for him.

I would still like to get him a tablet, though. Is there any particular model that's good for older people who aren't terribly tech-savvy? He wouldn't be doing anything complicated, but something for email, light surfing, and ebooks that's easy for him to use would be great.

The Apple iPad is always the best for not tech savvy people. Android certainly isn't terrible and some Android options are cheaper, but the iPad still is the simplest.

On a different note, I'm sure people noticed the OP got deleted somewhere a few months back (I don't know how/why/whatever). I just re did a bunch of it, so feel free to look and see if there is anything terrible.

And no, I still did not add much to the Windows part yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Thinking about getting a tablet to go with my laptop, but honestly only interested in something that can play any video I throw on it and the usual browsing the internet. On a bit of a budget, with maybe something under 200.

I guess nexus 7, but you won't find anything decent (especially for video) at that price point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

What app do people use for word processing on Mac and on Android and why is it awful?

iWork (apple) and google docs (both) and for the basics both are fine. Beyond the basics I would guess it depends on what you need.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Luminaflare posted:

Exactly how bad is the amazon app store?

I would just say very bad. Def get a Nexus over the Fire every time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Squinty Applebottom posted:

Oh no what will I do without the 99% of garbage that exists in the ios and play stores.

Have lovely apps that don't work?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Firetrick posted:

I'm looking for a tablet to replace my dying laptop. I mostly want it for a mobile HDMI out to connect to my projector, and web browsing. I've never bought a tablet before but am familiar with android devices. Not too concerned about low price but I'm in Australia so it may vary.

Any recommendations?

What specific need do you need it to do by connecting the a projector? PowerPoint display?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Firetrick posted:

Playing TV/movies mostly. That's pretty much the only thing I'm using my laptop for these days. That and remote desktop to my home PC actually would be nice.

Yeah I would think to comes down to the source of said videos. If you want to stream video from Netflix, amazon video, itunes or something like that, chrome cast plus whatever tablet would probably work well. If you want to move whatever library of movies over and store them on the device, an iPad or android tab with large storage would also work well. It just depends on where from I guess.

And sure, laptops could also work. If it's an obscene amount of storage (like 500GB or something) then that could be the better option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

What lovely tablet are you buying that is $100?

You can get some great tablet deals at big lots man.

I can't recommend the Kindle Paperwhite enough for reading. Great battery life, you can read outside and no distractions from reading.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

This sounds good. How easy is it to get things on it other than the kindle store? I download lots of article in pdf form, for example.

PDFs are te one thing that kind of blow on kindle, so if that's a main usage you might also want to look at a nexus 7 (more versatile than the kindle fire, not much more expensive). Personally I found it worth it to have a kindle for reading books, a tablet for other stuff, but it depends on preference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

I've been thinking of getting a tablet.

I'd want android, not ipad. Would like a big screen, would like to use a stylus (Is that standard?), and as cheap as I can get.

I'm not sure where to start looking at my options. I looked at the OP and it had some decent info, but I wanted something in between the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab. Something around a 10inch display or so.

What's the latest version of android available, and can anyone recommend a tablet that meets the needs I've mentioned?

The key is as cheap as you can get will be tough. The only good cheap tablet is the nexus 7 Otherwise the Note Pros are exactly what you want. They aren't cheap though.

The stylus part is always going to be subjective, but I can't see needing it unless it's specifically for arts or the like. I just got a Note 3 and the pen is always so much more awkward to use than just my thumbs. It's an extra step. And I find for "note taking" I can type so much faster, on both a phone size screen and a tablet size screen, on a touch screen keyboard versus handwriting with any type of stylus.

To each their own I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zev posted:

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for work so that I can have access to project SharePoint sites when I'm out in the field and in meetings. I would ideally be able to pull up and use any PDF's, office files, auto-cad drawings, and lists/libraries/web-parts in SharePoint. If I could remote access my desktop that would be all kinds of awesome too (for email, SAP, etc...). The mill I work at has several wireless access points, but not everywhere is covered by them, so 3G/4G would be a plus.

An ideal device would be able to survive the following on its own or with a case:
-long falls
-vibration
-extreme hot and cold temperatures (200F to -10F)
-water (rain, minimal submersion)
-dust (wood fines, coal, pulp, paper, lime)
-acids
-caustics
-corrosive gases
-getting washed off in a sink

I doubt that anything will be able to handle everything and still be usable. Work is giving out stipends for electronic devices, so if I could get it on a phone bill that would be awesome too. I'm thinking an iPad and http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad-air/survivor-custom-case-for-ipad-air in bright orange and white might be the best I can do.

iPad Air, and All 4 carriers offer plans with iPads, just make sure you get the cellular one. I would probably just get apple care too, it's $100 and swap outs for any physical damage is $80 instead of $250 (doesn't cover lost/stolen).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 25, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golden Lumber posted:

What's a good tablet for reading books and comics and watching videos? I'm currently leaning towards the Nexus 7. Ipads are too expensive for me. If there's anything I overlooked I'd like to check it out before purchasing the Nexus. Thanks!

You are correct, get the nexus 7.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I'm on the fence when thinking about getting a tablet vs an e-ink device. I'm wavering between getting a Paperwhite or spending 50% more and getting a Nexus 7. I'd mainly be using the thing for reading which makes me think the Kindle Paperwhite would be the better option, but on the other hand an actual tablet can do so much more that I would maybe find useful in the future, like when I go off to university later this year. I'm afraid whichever decision I make I'll end up regretting when I either get the Kindle and realise I could have used the Nexus for so much more, or get the Nexus and realise I never use anything but the reading apps and wasted that extra £50.

Anyone else grappled with this dilemma? What was your conclusion?

Honestly, i always recommend getting both. I don't like reading books on a tablet, its just much much better for the eyes on E-Ink. But obviously all the Kindle will do is well is books. Its a bit more, but its basically two different devices. See if you can find a sale or promo for each to cut down on the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
^dont get a cheap $100 tablet.

gingerberger posted:

My girlfriends wanting to get a tablet and doesn't really know anything about anything techy and has asked me my thoughts. I don't really know anything about them either, but if she gets one I want to be able to take it to the gym to watch tv/movies that I definitely didn't illegally download (but say that I had) and is still functional for her to take work notes, surf the web, etc. What am I looking for? We haven't discussed price range so I'd be interested to know the options at different price points.

Nexus 7 32GB is $279 (you can probably find it on sale somewhere by this point), refurbished iPad mini's for the 16Gb start at $339, but really you want at least 32GB, so add a bit more. Add an extra $100 for the Air.

You can look at the Galaxy Tab line from Samsung, the upside there is they should be able to take a SD card so you can load your movies up through there. There should be a link in the OP for them.

Link to Apple's refurb site: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad