Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Can you "claim" an existing hostile structure like the prison and make it your home or will enemies respawn there?

Yes! Enemies in dungeons and generated structures don't respawn. I got one of the little USCM outposts with a single robot right next to the teleport spot on my first planet, cleaned it out and I've been using it as a base ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I think one of my favorite things so far is that each race has their own crops, and that the Glitch get robo-tomatoes and robo-radishes. Farming is neat. :allears:

But I have a question. I just beat the penguin UFO, got the molten core, and made the metalworking bench. When I use it, I don't seem to have any new recipes. Likewise, when I beat the UFO I didn't get a quest complete message or a new quest popping up. Did I run into a bug, or is there something I haven't done yet?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

So, uh, for plant fiber, what EXACTLY am I looking for? I've found a bunch of mushrooms that I can pick with E or the MM, there's bushes and fronds everywhere but I can't get them with E or cutting them with the sword you start with, and the MM just removes them.

Vines hanging inside caves or the giant grass/flower trees mentioned earlier in the thread.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Varinn posted:

I haven't messed with the nightly updates yet but do you still have to fill your faster than light spaceship engine with wood and coal

Yes, and they made gathering fuel even more tedious because every time you die you drop any coal, ore or metal bars in your inventory!

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2014

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Monsters and combat

This is an awesome sounding boss. The real question is how are you going to stop griefers from summoning it from underneath your 1:1 model of Planet Zebes.

I'm looking forward to fighting it the game's awful combat system.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Supposedly the combat system has changed up a lot. I just listed all the current changes to the combat system, actually. How could you miss all that?

If that's from the nightly builds, I tried them out and combat still feels like poo poo, just a different kind of poo poo.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Falsum posted:

What's the point of preventing you from picking them up on top of preventing you from crafting them, apart from artificially extending the game's duration.

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

Enjoy mining for an hour to get enough copper to make a pick, and then dying from falling in a huge cave and losing it all. :getin:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

Silver: Gold, Titanium, Uranium(fuel), Core Fragements.
NOTE: According to wiki, Core fragments are a new material located deep near the "core" of a planet. These are required to repair your ship thrusters now.

Wait, hold on. That means you're stuck on your starting planet until you slowly work your way up to a silver pickaxe, right?

Hahaha that's incredible.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Supernorn posted:

Lots of people talking about things they have no knowledge or understanding of in this thread so how about we keep it to talking about the actual game instead?

What game?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Or am I better off just forgetting the game exists until I get an email about release day?

Yes. See you in 2017!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Also - yeah, going straight for ore and ignoring everything else is the most efficient action, but if it's not a fun way to play the game then why are you making the choice to play like that?

If you don't like rushing through games, then stop rushing through games. I'll never understand why people intentionally play games in a way that makes them unfun, yet you see it over and over again.

Except that their new progression path keeps certain planets locked unless you progress to the next tier and those planets are generally the more interesting ones. The new garden world starter planets are, by all accounts, boring flat grassy plains with trees. And the only way to escape is to spend an hour tediously mining up the sparse copper, then making a pickaxe so you can go back and grab those deposits of iron you missed and make another pick out of that, then you have to mine to the center of your starting planet to get core fragments to fix your ship. Mining to the center of a planet in a game where mining is not only slow, but boring.

Like, the tedium here isn't by my choice. It's being imposed entirely by the dev team and it kind of sucks. And I think that also undermines your point about the strength of the design, because there really isn't any. The game is built on a whole bunch of unfun sandbox game shibboleths and the nightly build just makes them more rigid and hard to ignore. That seems to be the story of nightly builds actually, taking an open world sandbox and making it more rigid and linear.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 15, 2014

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

Poor CF won't someone think of them.

Please consider the multi-million dollar publishing corporations and how your reasoned criticisms might hurt their feelings!

XboxPants posted:

It will be much more difficult to balance the entire Desert planet type against every other planet type if that single planet lets you mine way, way faster than all the other ones. CF is doing poorly enough at mining speed balance as it is, and they're trying to set up the game systems so they'll be easier for them to balance. Why isn't that a half-way decent reason?

Because, as you've already noted repeatedly, Chucklefish shouldn't be worried about balancing the game right now. Ore drops and getting rid of sand surfing are attempts at "balancing" mining while a chunk of systems that will affect it still aren't in.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

I hope I'm not making the thread where a group of people decided the best way to respond to criticism is by getting together and "ironically" shitposting for an entire page look bad.

Let's be fair here: it was more like two pages.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Also this thread should probably be gassed because all that's good about it is seeing y'all get trolled by Devour with basically zero effort

Just make a new one when the fabled update is there

no gently caress you this is funny as hell, if a little sad

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Wow, rude :(

im sorry :(

Lallander posted:

Some of the cars go vertical. They posted a screenshot a while back. It showed some of the cars having 2 levels up and one with 3 if I remember correctly.

I don't really care for these, unfortunately. Like, I love the idea of space train and I don't object to having vertical cars, but the ones that we're shown just kind of look like generic space buildings instead of train cars. The "smokestacks" being on the cars themselves kind of reinforces that.

Maybe I'm just being too picky? :shrug:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Jackard posted:

Wow nice text dump dude. Why not just link the blog or quote things you liked in particular, such as the removal of the hunger bar:

This is a Good Idea and I support it entirely.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

Its funny because why are you guys reading an lp in the first place

fixed that for you boss

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

mutata posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

lmao

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

They made the game a lot more tedious so it takes you longer to realize there's no new content. :ssh:

wait hold on are we talking about destiny or starbound? which thread am i in

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Where's that goon star citizen spreadsheet so we can laugh at all the motherfuckers who're dumber than us

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

oddium posted:

Handegg is the worst because it reeks of "Yes, I'm from the Internet and yes, I like Deadpool."

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Jackard posted:

Stable is up

please don't troll :saddowns:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

stay safe grimcreaper

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

mutata posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

fine

Arkitektbmw posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur

• Locked thread