Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why are these not growing? am I doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Enzer posted:

What plant is that? Some people are reporting that there are a few (carrots, nanomelons and like, one or two others) that are not growing.
Chilis. And Neonmelons, Carrots, and some 100-flavor plant are also not growing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

poo poo, seeds don't scan anymore? I hope things other than wheat will drop more than one seed now then. EDIT: And if my experiments in growing chilis on my ship pay off, does anybody know where to find some rice?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

crowfeathers posted:

Go to an Avian airship and summon it there.
Wait, do the propellers work on it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Techs are in High-Tech Chests, and a slightly different color thereof than the ones which show up in Apex facilities sometimes. EDIT: Also are you guys sure the gravity bubble thing is infinite? It makes my energy bar go down when I use it, but I haven't bothered trying to run it out yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IAmTheRad posted:

They seemed to have fixed the 3d printer. You can no longer print seeds...

No more sustainable wheat farm for me unless wheat plants drop seeds at a higher rate than before.
I have like 40 goddamn wheat seeds, they usually drop multiples for me.

Actual wheat not so much. :mad:

Oh well, these hundreds of eye-melons will feed me for a long, long time. (go try chopping down an eyeball forest sometime.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

It's a very good thing Wheat and Feathercrowns can grow on your ship. Several in game days have passed on my starter world and Wheat, Feathercrowns, nor the Pepper looking plants I first found ON that planet have grown at all.

The plants are in tilled soil in direct sunlight, and it's not like it's a BAD planet weather wise either. What little cold that happens in the night is very slow, and never quite reached the point of freezing to death before the sun came up.
I've noticed that sometimes it seems like if you leave a planet with partially grown crops, they'll be fresh ungrown plantings when you return. I need to test this more thoroughly.

OwlFancier posted:

It just occurred to me that I will no longer have access to my keytar when the saves reset...

I am filled with sorrow.

Also, I need to have the tabs for this song...
Get tabs for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, play on ketar, done?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

I've noticed that sometimes it seems like if you leave a planet with partially grown crops, they'll be fresh ungrown plantings when you return. I need to test this more thoroughly.
I just let some wheat grow a step, beam out, and beam back and it was still partially grown, I guess I was wrong.

EDIT: Switching planets also did not revert the growing status.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 7, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I found an Avian village myself.

Some of the inhabitants were rather rude.

I have no idea what this person is talking about, there were no Florans in town.

And I think something is off with the code for placing plants...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nastyman posted:

Fall damage is weird, it seems to be tied to sudden changes in momentum rather than any kind of impact. If you fall far enough and double jump or activate the gravity bubble, you still take fall damage.
If you activate the gravity bubble early enough that you start going up again you can seem to not take fall damage. But just lowering your speed to where it looks like you shouldn't, nope.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nastyman posted:

Not always, I've taken fall damage in midair by using it while still several screens away from the ground after jumping from an asteroid.
Uh. Okay I haven't seen that one happen. :staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mage Ham posted:

In addition, however, expand the function of the 3D Printer: allow the player to scan in dirt, stone, and so on. This way the player still only needs one 'sample' of a given material variant, and can then (ideally at a minimal or nonexistent pixel cost, or via 'trading in' generic material), replicate more.
The 3D printer is already present in the game, and already has the infrastructure (both in an immersion sense, and presumably in a programming sense) to act as a catalog of things the player can subsequently duplicate and use.
I think the refinery should also be expanded to work on more items. So you can scan some Purple Dirt, then dump all the rest into your refinery to convert it into pixels to use later reconstituting purple dirt if you want some.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure they were never intended to be printable. You get more seeds from farming. You don't need to print them.
Actually for many crops you seem to get exactly one seed per plant out, so if you want to expand you have to go find more in the wild.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

If you can find a frog merchant you'll never need torches again. They sell oil lanterns for 15 pixels to go with their 10 pixel bombs.
I clearcut a large forest world once and just mining coal as I come across it gets me all the torch material I need, really.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unbound posted:

Thanks! Looks like I need a few more pixels now. How long until I can get some guns? The sword and board thing is really cool, but now I want firepower.
Find an avian pirate ship and buy some.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bo Jackson posted:

Just played for awhile with some friends, and at some point my buddy spawned a level 20 robot boss thing that we could barely scrape and could kill us instantly. Luckily, he had the bright idea to surround the robot with dirt, allowing us to poke at it with our tridents without even being touched (apparently dirt is his only weakness). Feels kind of bad loving with the game like that, though.
I'd feel more bad if I could craft armor and weapons strong enough to deal with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know I can't help but feel like smelting glass is a bit slow. Other things too but glass is the one you're gonna have a LOT of to make.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Overdrift posted:

One solution to make settlement building more appealing would be to restrict NPC spawning to planetside, and maybe shift some essential components to their shop, or make them some crucial part of the tech tree. If they also included a requirement to feed and keep them protected, perhaps with mercenary NPCs, it would make base building a lot more interesting.
Sadly, it currently costs 600 fuel for a round trip between your home base planet and anywhere that isn't in the same star system as it. So you'd need to cut down a lot of trees to actually use your home base.

Maybe if you could A: grow plants while not on the planet, and B: grow something to process into useful quantities of fuel, but as is...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Varinn posted:

I actually preferred the idea of keeping all items of the same type (fine sand, dry dirt, dirt, sand, stone) in a separate single category for each one, and as you find colors it unlocks them to be used, while keeping the overall count a shared number.
I tried turning all my sand into glass earlier, an I was left with about a dozen blocks left over since none of the various colors had more than three units.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geomancing posted:

Very, very much so. Avians and humans get along really well, talking to Avians as one yourself has different dialogue than as any other race, item descriptions are race-specific, it's great. For example, in an Avian tomb, a Human will see a rabbit-shaped sarcophagus and say 'Oh look, a bunny, how cute!' and an Avian will say 'This is the tomb of a criminal or heretic. It signifies that even in the afterlife, the dead will never fly.'
Hylotl, being actually trained for this poo poo, apparently make pretty accurate guesses about things too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Onean posted:

They give you plenty of warning before attacking you though.
Glitch castles also warn you, but they'll just attack you if you walk up without a weapon drawn.

And probably instantly murder you because of how armor works right now.

Section Z posted:

Again, I'm of this mindset. Don't build a log cabin out of planks, you might need all the unrefined wood to make a single one way trip! And that might be all the trees you find!
Yeah, packed dirt is my usual building material.

Weirdly, packing it down makes it take up MORE space, but I'm not complaining that you get more refined building material out of raw stuff in general here.

Zoe posted:

Is there some reason everyone is using wood for fuel instead of coal?

Granted I haven't gotten all the way through the tech tree yet, but I don't have much else to do with coal yet, and wood seems far more versatile and therefore worthy of hoarding.
You need it for torches, steel, and several other higher-level metals.

That's a human, right? Wow, that is a massive contrast compared to the "actually kinda knows what they're doing" of the Hylotl.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

XboxPants posted:

They also have some different food tolerances, though I'm not sure if that's implemented yet. I.E., only humans can properly handle chiles, only florans can eat oculemons, coralcreep for hylotl, etc.
Hylotl can handle chiles too, I got a recipe that used them when I made one.

I also fed myself mostly on oculemons, so if that is implemented it's not fully implemented.

And I personally am using the character wipes as an excuse to see what all the racial personalities are like. Different race every time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know what I'm really gonna miss in the wipe?

Banana.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Umberger posted:

I think they're keeping it incredibly simple just to keep everything mod-friendly ranging from "hey I want the matter manipulator to be a little more effective" to "I'm going to completely revamp this game and turn it into Dark Souls". Depending on the complexity of the tools, they'd then have to release a user friendly version with documentation, tutorials, etc. It might not be a bad thing that it's all text files at this point.
They could make more high-level tools that still produce text files, you know.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

Disclaimer: I was also playing in a boring, no spreadsheets let's check out these nearby T1-3 worlds first just to be safe fashion.
That's why, weapons are leveled to the planet you find them on.

The upcoming patch should change all this, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Meat Dimension posted:

Dumb question, is there anything more to interplanetary travel then filling your starship up with coal and entering co-ordinates? Do you have to fully fill up the tank?
You then need to select the star you entered the coordinates for, select a planet, then select the planet itself or one of its moons to land on, then hit Go.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, if you're looking for pacifists, it's the Hylotl you want. The Florans are downright villainous.
Well, pacifism evaporates pretty fast when somebody start shooting you on sight.

Also when hitting vases gives you money. No really, one of the comments for some type of vase or other is "These things have made me a more violent person." as a Hylotl.

DelphiAegis posted:

So it's more accurate to call them Omnivores. Basically they're Predators, but more adorable.
I think carnivores have to eat meat, while omnivores can eat meat. But my cats will totally go eat leaves off the houseplants and stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lemon King posted:

Ohgod, starting areas can be scary now with big creatures.

I one-shot one with an iron bow and it dropped a weapon with 9 or 10 dps. I think randomly generated weapons need to be looked at again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Has anybody found a Teir 2 airship?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aurain posted:

God, I hope there's more coal on the neighbouring planet to my starter to leave the system.
I only found 57 on a full lap of my starter.
This wood change is pretty awful.
Lap? Did you try digging down? There's a ton of ore if you just go down a ways.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I'm surprised so many people were using wood to fuel their ship. It's both the more rare and more valuable resource (unless you just like to scour forest planets you're never going to return to and ruin its aesthetics, I guess)
... Yes? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nerdz posted:

This is what you're doing "wrong". I say wrong because as of now, underground is way too barren to be worth it besides minerals. I really wish they gave us more reasons to go underground. You probably worked way harder than me, who spent 30 minutes running across the surface of 4 small planets and getting easy drops and merchants. Currently the game rewards too much this kind of approach, which I like, but I'd really like if the "really good stuff" was better hidden (or better yet, even better than the good stuff we get at the surface).
I found diamond deposits, like 5-10 ore, deep on an Alpha planet. Not even at the core, a good ways above it. I think I have enough platinum to make full plat armor once I get the ability to as well from that dive.

After the torches I needed to make to explore I didn't have enough coal for more than a jump to Beta sector then another jump to a different planet in the same system, though.

I even found a tech just sitting there in a chest somewhere! (it was yet another double jump.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gently caress birds, man.

The moment I got into the airship on the co-ordinates someone gave me, birds immediately murdered almost all of the crew on the top deck, including the quartermaster. I don't think I could have saved him even if I'd dashed up there as quickly as possible.

All I want is to buy a loving gun, and maybe some blueprints. Does anyone else have co-ordinates for a pirate ship? Alpha or Beta, either works just as well.

e: On the bright side, one of the pirates apparently dropped a 172 dps lightning axe.
Yeah, NPCs seem to die instantly if a monster spits at them. I had a glitch villager die on me when I dodged a monster's attack and it hit him instead.

Maybe this is an overreaction to the "summon boss on top of Avian ship" thing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hmmm. This miniboss I just killed on a tier 3 planet dropped an "uncommonteir2shortsword". :raise:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Yeah it seems now that random loot is pretty garbage. I could either use my crafted level 1 weapon with 20 dps or this lovely sword from a miniboss that has 10 dps.
It would've been pretty decent before I got to Tier 3. Same with the tier 2 axe I found in a chest on this planet earlier. But since it's for some strange reason a tier behind it's crap compared to my titanium sword.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm not positive but I think that might be a descriptor for its appearance rather than the quality. Everything I've found in any sector that wasn't "crappyweapon" (or whatever the rusted ones are called) was noted as tier2. Some were poo poo by tier 1 standards and one of them is easily one-shotting everything that isn't a boss (and is fast).
Oh. It's still got stats that put it on par with the stuff I made in Tier 2, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Can anybody explain what I'd tweak to make it so I can make torches out of wood and tar?

Because I have quite a lot of it but not that much coal, and I'm pretty sure some tar on a stick would burn just fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Funkysauce posted:

I think we're (me, my wife and my friend) playing the game wrong. We've sat on the starter planet and have built a 3 story house. We keep decking it out and haven't bothered to go elsewhere yet. We're so attached to our nice house and ample supplies of basic goods. We've even got a decent farm going.

It's like why roam when you can get it at home! Though I'm thinking the only way to get better crap is to travel. I will set off alone and see what can be returned to our nice wood and packed dirt mansion. We decided to play blind so we didn't know we can use some of our 150 coal to fuel the ship. Oh well, lesson learned.
If you're in a party, you can magically teleport to other party member's ships, so if one of you leaves theirs in orbit around your home planet you can easily teleport back to it!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want to just hard-edit the files instead of making it a mod, change C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\recipes\starter\plain\torch.recipe, line 4, "coalore" to "tar".
I was hoping for "as well" rather than "instead", actually.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

peepsalot posted:

There's a head accessory slot though, could just make it a headlamp band. that works in conjunction with your armored helmet. Or maybe that's a neck slot? Only thing I've found so far for that slot was a sort of neckerchief.
There is? Where? There's the cosmetic slots...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Purple Prince posted:

Chef Spawner and Shroom Chest. I'm guessing the blueprints just haven't been implemented yet?
Merchant spawners just get eaten. Shroom chests, check your workbench to see if you have a blueprint for them now. You can also sometimes find blueprints for shroom chests inside shroom chests.

• Locked thread