Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W424
Oct 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I visited some family and high-school-era friends last summer, and I found out that the part of the world I did most of my growing up in unironically thought that numetal was an important musical trend and a foundation to be built on. I mean, yes, that's where Breaking Benjamin came from, but like all the local bands I had recordings of played to me and the newer bands they listened to (aside from the one my brother joined, which was described as "weird", probably because it's got a keyboard in it) were in that whole BB/Chevelle/Staind/Shinedown/Disturbed/Godsmack vein.

That's pretty much the worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ThePutty posted:

i should also probably note that modern metalcore is actually melodic metalcore, while the original metalcore was pretty much hardcore punk and thrash put together

Way back when I used to give a poo poo about such things All Out War was "metalcore" (basically Slayer+hardcore) and at somepoint it evolved to skinny jeans and clean choruses and microkorgs and other bullshit. At least they kept the "3 random words" for a band name thing.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

I'm curious why everyones reference point for metal core is stuff like killswitch engage instead of stuff like converge, personally.

I've never heard anyone call Converge metalcore before.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

converge are like the quintessential metal core band, being a band which actually mixes hardcore and metal.

key here is that you are talking to musicians, laymen don't do this though and go to killswitch, 36 crazyfists etc as metal core and put converge, coalesce etc as just hardcore.

I allways thought they were just noisy hardcore, now I'm proven wrong and a layman. May others learn from my mistakes.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/733246303/expressiv-midi-guitar-real-midi-real-guitar-real-c

So fugly.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

shiksa posted:

what kind of dumb piece of poo poo could confuse a jem for an rg

obviously they're so different, the jem has the grip and

hm

I have one that looks about identical, rg550ltd which should be according to internet very close to a jem. Should I drill a hole in it?

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Blackened hardcore is a good core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhuCyd3nqA

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Here's my teen angsty first guitar:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sleepflower posted:

How did all that happen? I need to know the story of this thing.

It got set on fire. Other than that it has been a noise guitar in various configurations (de fretted, all bass strings, all unisono strings, speaker attached for feedback and other stupid poo poo).

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Just passed by this thing sitting on the street. Almost picked it up except :effort: and probably bedbugs.

My local art gallery has something similiar, it's a huge pile of poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Fair Hallion posted:

The tuner for the low E got smashed off at a gig. Find a similar replacement? Nope; use a wrong-sided, *acoustic* guitar tuner. It was actually excellent for quickly tuning down to ‘D’ for the songs that required it.

This rules.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I once saw a kvlt pentagram guitar, unfortunately the pentagram was the right side up and not inverted. Dude was asking +1k€ for it.

Back in the 90's my friends younger brother started to play black metal and had built this SG looking bass by himself. It was loving hilarious and allmost unplayable, it was also painted light blue for some reason. We called it the Blue Meanie.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

someone keytar'd their microbrute

http://audio.accordo.it/article.do?id=80454

seems pointless if the neck doesnt actually have any buttons or even a modulation bar

How to customize a synth: bolt it to some wood. Dude's even got the "preset" sheet on.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Olivil posted:

Talking about ugly guitars...

I received this POS in a trade and have been unable to sell it since.
I mean it's ALRIGHT I guess it plays fine but I don't want a maple Les Paul and it seems like nobody does.

Like I haven't been able to sell it for 600$ with a hard case. (Canadian money)

That took a monent to register. Ewwwww

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I once bought a Kurweill K2000 for cheap that belonged to a chainsmoker or had been in a house fire or something.
The white keys were yellow and everything was coated in tar and sticky, I cleaned it up and found hay,hair,dirt and rust inside it.
It worked but ended up selling it because it was loving vile.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Feeling nostalgic about playing the metals right about now.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

I plan on using it with a DAW and recording stuff on PC (maybe turn it into a midi controller somehow?).

I'd imagine the latency would be ridiculous on bass as even lower notes on guitar are too slow to play in real time. Midi from guitar is also so lovely that you'll spend more time cleaning up the track than playing it/learning to play keyboard so you don't have to deal with that poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

if it's the real deal it's actually a piece of that material on the top and it weighs a ton

One could maybe call it a heavy metal guitar then, heh.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I have a dick shirt too, a Napalm Death one.

The hanged dudes dick is flopping in the breeze, rendered in loving detail.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Day Man posted:

Where can I get this?

I'd check what the fretboard says before ordering, "kill islamonazis" might suck for example.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

The amazing part of this is that they took the bass synth voice from the rhythm wolf and put 4 of them into it... which would have been kinda cool if that bass synth could stay in loving tune or actually sound like it wasn't coming from a 1980's casio.

But hey, "real simulated wood grain sides".

Akai earned my eternal hate for the expensive as poo poo MPK keyboard (everything loving SUCKS), and I for one am glad to watch them slowly die/become m-audio.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

the lovely guitars thread

C'mon now, it's clearly 'Stupid music poo poo" thread. A little diversity wouldn't hurt and I'm tired of scrolling trough a bunch of guitars and JEM reposts.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

kjetting posted:

Why?
What is the point of having more than one pickup? Would you ever use them simultaneously? Is it a shock resistance system like you used to have on portable CD players that read the disc several times to make up for skipping?

If it's not an art piece it's a real audiophile product, that's your answer. Audiophile products don't make sense, they don't have to. Someone will buy it if it's expensive enough or has magical crystals in it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

fyodor posted:

aka everything wrong with the 90s :barf:

I always associated kings x with 90's lame alt/grunge bullshit and apparently wasn't wrong.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Listening now. What do you call this genre? It's. Dissonant. Kinda noisy.

Shoegaze

W424
Oct 21, 2010

TheChaosPath posted:

lol if you own a gibson

I'm a SG fanboi, can't live without one.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Pondex posted:

The electric guitar is losing its mystique fast and good riddance.

Good.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

RGA121

I bought one really cheap from some idiot kid, yay.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

This rules, gently caress the haters. To shred on stage and give people who give a gently caress about guitars aneurysms.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Just get a can of black spray from a gas station and punk up that motherfucker

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

gently caress yeah and a nice active pup so you can play some djent with it

Hmmm bare knuckle aftermath/warpig?

W424
Oct 21, 2010
my friend got this for free, loving great guitar. Even if john 5 nothong wrong with that etc

W424
Oct 21, 2010

memy posted:

Swans used to have a girl
Boris is 1/3 female
PJ Harvey is a girl

Checkmate
:smug:

Neurosis did an album with Jarboe.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

At the end of the day, people buy Orange because they wrongly choose to like the way it looks, it seems completely passable when they play it in the store, and they have human being taste in amps.

I have a Orange cab and Peavey 6505 head (the faggiest amp).

W424
Oct 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

could've sworn you meant the other wasp guitarist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIWzgExzAA

e-cigs and coffee, dude's loving hardcore.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Lifehack: Never play organ for a band.

...loving metal stand that if I'm lucky won't collapse straight away..

My old band's keyboardist had his lovely stand collapse under a M1 and a Korg Delta (both heavy as poo poo) at a gig. He flipped out and started ripping keys off of the M1 and managed to cut open his hand in the process. It was p cool.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Aoi-chan posted:

I know the dx7 is garbage

What is this poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Aoi-chan posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... Your Old Synthesizer is a Piece Of poo poo (I still want one)

FM loving rules if you can program it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

That's why you get FM8 and not a loving DX7.

Real talk when it comes to synths is that older ones are way loving more hassle than they're worth, especially digital ones.

I feel like a gearslut but FM8 sounds "softer" than hardware (yes it's digital blah blah A/B tests blah bla). I feel dirty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

arithmetic as midi music

Woah.

I had a great evening mixing bands at the local club, the previous soundman got fired and apparently hosed with some poo poo before leaving. Mysteriosly missing and misplugged channels, one of the speakers had its eq hosed with and all around weird poo poo. Not to mention being hungover.

• Locked thread