Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I have a couple of questions:

Are the medieval mods updated for 1.4?
Are there xenotypes for more classical fantasy races now?

I already downloaded a mod that makes xenogenes transferrable and would like to play a rimworld medieval fantasy game with magic being replaced by psycasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes, but I don't want to use it for a change.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Griz posted:

I'm either gonna make this kid a noble or stick him in the ancient danger cryopod depending on how awful he ends up

Wait, inbreeding is a thing now?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
As an aside, can ideologyheads help me with a question? Is it possible to create different ideoligions for slaves and masters? I want my nobles fat and pampered while the slaves prefer rough and ascetic lifestyles?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eh, I like their stuff for a low tech playthrough.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

marumaru posted:

possibly controversial opinion: most of vanilla expanded is total rear end
there's cool stuff in there (like achievements, events, etc) but a lot of the content mods are terrible, bloated and unbalanced

that said i love VE Psycasts for a non-serious playthrough. i just wish raiders could use them too because they're insanely imba and with just 4 psycasters on my colony i can destroy 30-strong raids with minimal if any injuries

counterpoint: I like giving my colonists boots/shoes to wear.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

silentsnack posted:

that counterpoint (aside from being subjective) doesn't really dismiss the core complaint most people have, is the thing.

VE mods would be cooler and vastly more tolerable if the Gratuitous Modding Syndrome bloat was packaged separately as optional fluff, since the whole ["a couple of interesting mechanics, buried under several tons of irrelevant crap"] approach seems to be offputting for a lot of players?

You can simply use the mods a la carte and ignore the bloat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the vanilla weapons expanded mods work with Combat extended?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how do the vehicles mods work with CE? honestly as fun as the vehicles are, I might just drop it for a VFE+CE playthrough.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Big dinos have absolutely incredible hauling capacities, enjoy being able to caravan half a base around on a whim!

we have cars now.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
look, I worked hard on my modlist. You can't tempt me with dinos now.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
speaking of which, are there submods that add things like horse drawn carriages?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh I played the poo poo out of the arcade game of this back when I was a kid! :allears:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3028675048 Note that you don't actually hook up animals to the vehicles, rather they are just built with the animals included, represented by a cost in hay usually. But they were hella useful for early-game movement. The balloon is particularly fantastic for a couple of specific cases like getting to a doctor's request or the like.

thank you so much. Now as long as the mod works fine with giddy up I should be good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Taeke posted:

I watch Adam vs. Everything for the challenges and super optimised vanilla runs. He plays without pausing so that might be up your alley.
I like Mr. Samuel Streamer for the British, very manic super modded runs. He's a lot though, so I understand why people don't like him.
Rhadamant does similar very modded and themed runs but he's super laid back and chill.
I used to watch Decoherent but just kinda stopped because his runs tend to go on forever, like up to a 100 episodes so I lost interest.
Pete Complete does simpler themed runs and is very story driven, with a really tight presentation that I like.

If anyone has more recommendations I can always use more material to watch in the evening while doing other stuff.

mr samuel streamer puts the story generation in rimworld.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mzbundifund posted:

You telling me a shrimp fried this save?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if you are getting so mad at pod drop raids why not disable them?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

worm girl posted:

I hope this one adds new music. I missed that in Ideology and Biotech.

Yes I already know about that one music mod.

what music mod.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mzbundifund posted:

P-music, it’s really good and fits the original soundtrack well. Great if you’re tired of the OST but want something thematically similar.

thank you!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

The odd thing about mechanoid water raids is that apparently they can spawn from any water, so if you have a pond it might be full of infinite mechanoids.

no it has to be a river or the sea/ocean.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so whats the medieval mod everyone uses.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kestral posted:

Medieval Overhaul. I’ve used it a lot and quite like it, but I’m also a modding fiend who will go to great lengths to set up the scenarios I have in mind.

Losing VE Medieval actually hurts in that respect, because it was fully compatible with Medieval Overhaul and its factions added some interesting contrast to the MO ones.

yeah I was considering doing a spooky medieval run of the game once the new DLC came out. Now that VFE:M is out of the list I might have to wait a while.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that there was much bloat in Medieval in the first place though. I guess they can drop wall torches since those will be in the base game soon.

Really my thought was that Medieval was a pretty lightweight mod by VFE standards, so I feel like making it bigger is the most likely outcome

It felt light because vikings was it's own mod.

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

So I've found a neat mod combo going to deal with the absurd suicidal raids that push you toward building killboxes problem.
First I installed the CAI 5000 ai mod that really does wonders to make enemies act in a reasonable way and resist getting funneled into obvious chokes, they properly reposition to stay in appropriate range for the weapon they have while taking cover too, overall fantastic improvement that actually makes combat way more challenging. It has an optional fog of war feature too but I don't think I will use it.
Then I pair that with the Enemy Self Preservation mod that makes human raiders individually flee if they're at risk of dying, which is realistic but makes the combat easier.

So the end result is that killbox meta is dead, you'll be building realistic emplacements fighting smart enemies, and your minimum win scenario will be forcing a retreat where a lot of failed attackers survive. There won't be absurd mountains of corpses, and fleeing enemies will take their loot with them, so you get to make a choice to pursue or not, since good gear may be worth the effort, or alternatively the upside of not pursuing is winning a defense does not snowball colony wealth.

Mechanoids never flee though so this makes them even more dangerous, thankfully we can now build tanks.

Yeah but does it work with combat extended?

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 17, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they aren't getting rid of pirates are they?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
maybe you are just that mad at warcaskets.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Warcaskets were a sad necessity until vehicles were invented on the Rim.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
mmm, mystery meat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BattleMaster posted:

I started a game with the researcher start and an ideology using only the Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Bloodshed meme. I got the cube and it was cute for a while but it stopped being cute

yeah it became the cube

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so what Vanilla Expanded mods apart from medieval aren't done yet?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
vikings and health are being discontinued alongside medieval.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they changed pawn rendering to work on a different core so I am not going to be using older mods that add hairstyles for a bit.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
someone doing a good playthrough of the new content? need to get good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Danaru posted:

What mod is this I lost it

dubs mint menus.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
when using CE, I started bringing MG ammo for my gunner on the rest of the squad and using them for flanking.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Is it safe to add VE mods that have been updated?

I decided to try my hand at fixing up an abandoned mod that I really liked (and it looks like I'm the 4th in a line of code janitors for this thing breaking between versions) so if anyone cares here is realistic planets for 1.5 https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3225521979

It can help you play out your own legally distinct dune, it can group faction bases together real nation-state-like, and it's very vanilla and not too crazy with biomes

`Thank you for this. Does it work with the mod that makes the map look prettier?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yes it will work out of the box with it, but that mod has yet to get its own 1.5 so it's a bit buggy right now

highly recommend getting the geological landforms and biome transitions mods too while you're at it

thank you for the forewarning and recommendations.

isndl posted:

Depends on where you draw the line on 'safe', I suppose. The game won't crash but there are all sorts of weird small bugs that can pop up.

aww, I wanted darkleather boots.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I know well enough to not add mods after starting a run. What is the mod people use for forcing certain xenotypes to certain factions?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Danaru posted:

Whoops I missed this, yeah it's LWM Deep Storage, the original isn't updated but there's an unofficial fork until it does

It's deeply satisfying if you get the same brain itches I do

are you using ogrestack with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kris xK posted:

Yeah I really want to do a medieval run but Rimworld is so designed around electricity and advanced tech that I gave up and just did a warhammer 40k run which is basically the same thing thematically but with power armor.

there were enough mods to do a medieval run even before 1.5