Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Little King

Look, I understand that a king can't just go out and watch the latest romantic comedy in a theater because the local tabloids would go hog wild, but is building a secret entrance, a secret mining track/rollercoaster and a secret canal that leads to the movie theater really easier than waiting for the DVD? Hell, I'll bet the producer will mail you a copy ahead of schedule if you ask since you're the king!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SubNat posted:

Advice from Above

Can someone avatarize Little My saying "They're silly" in the first strip, please?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Tiggum posted:

They're silly.

Thank you! :tipshat:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

We're in for another two months of treasure gazing with Dick Grabber the Bad Guy, aren't we? Goddammit Phantom, get this pacing together.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Apartment 3-G

That's all I could see

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I was reading some old Fingerporis at work, so here's some easily translated ones. I don't think they've been posted before, at least in this thread.

In the north:
- Hey! My wallet!
- The nature in Lapland is pretty rough!

- I was trying on some of my old bikinis the other day, it was...
- Umm...
- Tuesday

20 AD
- Welcome to the wedding friends, have some wine!
- Uhh... this is just water...
- The antichrist!!

- Our guest researcher needs a personal assistant
- I know how to interact with disabled people
- THOSE LIGHTS ARE S-T-A-R-S!! THEY ARE VERY FAR AWAY!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

GorfZaplen posted:

Posting Classic Prince Valiant early since I may not have access to it tomorrow.

Uhhh... I'm not sure that letting a self-confessed thief, criminal and cheater - who you almost killed five minutes ago - to shave you is such a good move. Even if you're a badass who slaughtered an entire army.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

This storyline is more infuriating than Mike du Jour. Sure the previous one about toddlers being hanged for piracy was absurd as well, but Popeye's passive-aggressive girlfriend screaming "If you don't have a last name you should be dead you piece of poo poo!" at him is something else. Who comes up with this? Where's Popeye beating up brutes? Come to think of it, why doesn't he just spinach-punch the mob outside his house until they're gone?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Haha, oh my god those sideburns.

So Mark Trail's going to come in and punch him any minute now, right? Right?!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

catlord posted:

Wait, you're just going to let a baby wander into the tool shed unsupervised? You are the worst parents.

Given that he was pretty ok with the baby being hanged for piracy, proper supervision probably isn't very high on Popeye's list.

Also I bet the Horrible Surname That Must Not Be Mentioned was/is going to be something completely predictable and lame like "Landlubber".

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
:effort:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Later that day Phil realizes that dedicating his life to some shallow idea of a supreme being and old rock singer memorabilia has been a mistake. He abandons his titbag girlfriend and her weird midget spawn and gets an entry-level job at an investment bank by name-dropping his dad who used to be friends with the greedy rear end in a top hat CEO.

After a decade of working there and advancing his career with cutthroat tactics and questionable ethics, he is ordered to oversee the foreclosure and demolition of Fritzi's house to make way for a parking garage. Later that week Phil sees Nancy and Fritzi on the street begging for scraps. He realizes that even though he has become as emotionally numb as his abusive step-father, it still beats the hell out of living in Gilchrist's sappy fiction.

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 20, 2014

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

What the gently caress is this? Is this supposed to be funny? Congratulations whoever the rear end in a top hat is who writes this poo poo, I now hate Popeye more than Mike du Jour! :tizzy:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

It is every citizen's final duty to park like an rear end in a top hat.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

:10bux: says that Africa will look exactly like the generic forest where he lives now.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

What. The. gently caress.

Well, watching Mary meddle a kid out of a crippling LSD addiction is surely going to be more interesting than reading about a dude trying to get a job.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Well, since no one else did it...

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

:f5:

It's been said before, but I can't believe I skipped reading Prince Valiant in the previous threads, I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann, as promised, is dumb.

The most annoying thing about this storyline apart from the usual blandness is that when you're moving to another country you can't just loving buy a plane ticket and be gone the next day without even telling your friends! Moving to another country requires some work even if you're a Gunther with no life and living with your mother.

When I moved out of Finland it took about a month to get all the visas, sell the car, give away all my stuff that didn't fit in a backpack, cancel all the rent/insurance/internet/newspaper/whatever contracts and subscriptions I had, and then there's about a million other things that you don't realize you have until you need to get rid of everything. At the very least you need to get some vaccinations and those don't happen overnight either.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

That's a movie theater they're going in to, not an airport.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

I almost prefer the storyline strips to this garbage, at least they have some potential for mocking and edits.

You've got double Wee Pals there.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Wait what, Prince Valiant is 17? How does that even work? Was he ten years old when the Huns storyline was going on or what.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

I bet Rosa will just go off into the jungle on her own and Gunther will end up performing heart surgery by accident.

And no lessons will be learned.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Beeg posted:

Sometimes I worry that I post too much comics.

I know the rule is :justpost:, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't post a wall of Mad comix three times per page. The art is ugly, the "jokes" are offensive and Spy vs. Spy is just the worst thing in existence. At this point I'm even looking forward to reading Mike du Jour because at least it's something different and it just makes me angry, not nauseous.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

And next week JJJ yells at Peter for not getting pictures of Spider-Man breaking criminals out of prison.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Seriously, can't this guy use any other "sound effects"?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 3-4, 1926)

Wait what? Did people really think that fresh bread was bad for you?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori hasn't been very good lately, but have some of the better ones anyway:

- Have you seen the report from the union?
- What does it look like?
- Just a normal A4-sized paper
- I think it's this one
Newspaper headline: Ark of the Covenant found? / The union paper found?

(In Finnish the word for a single paper is "arkki", which is the same as the word for the ark. The word for a labor union is "liitto", which is the same as the word for the Covenant, so...)

TV: A man was hit by a bus in East Fingerpori / Man stays under a bus in East Fingerpori
- I'm not leaving. It's raining outside and I don't have a job.

(As the spoiler explains, when you get hit by a car or something in Finnish, it's literally "staying under a car")

- Welcome to our family farm!
- That's the Möttönen family there

FLIPPY THE DOLPHIN
- Where does that opening lead? Adventure awaits!
After a week:
FINDUX SALMON CUBES

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

- I'd like to return the bird feeder I bought
- I can't hit any birds with this

Lintulauta = bird feeder
Lintu = bird
Lauta = board

Because of this, a "lintulauta" can also be interpreted to mean a "bird club" or other such instrument for hitting birds.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

No puns today

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Meh

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The depiction of Finns in Prince Valiant is totally off and perpetuates the myth that they are all actually Mongols. Luckily Fingerpori represents a more accurate picture of them, puns included:

- Eino Ahmasto will not attend the European Athletics Championship
- The reason given is a sudden sprain
THE PREVIOUS NIGHT:
- Come on Eino, stay a while longer
- Well all right... but just one pint

(The word for sprain/strain, "venähdys", is also used when you're out at night and "suddenly" one pint turns into jägerbombs and whatnot. The expression is "ilta venähti", which would literally be "the evening sprained". Of course "venähdys" comes from "venyä", which means to stretch, so the expression can also mean "the evening stretched" which kind of works in English too, but that's enough :words: about Thule-raiding pygmies.)

VVVV Mandrake's dad owns

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 15, 2014

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

I don't know how common this is elsewhere because I've never seen it outside Finland, but there sometimes in the supermarket the cashier will put the frozen stuff you buy in a small bag to... I don't know, prevent the other stuff in your shopping bag from getting wet?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Well they put each individual item in a separate thin plastic bag, so it's not to keep them cold nor to keep them together.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Edit: Fixed the translation, thanks Stultus Maximus.

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 17, 2014

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Stultus Maximus posted:

If I were translating for an English-speaking audience, I'd go with Blood_orangeblood orange.

Dammit, I knew there was a blood something fruit in English, I just couldn't remember what it was.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori