Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Thanks, Chicken of Tomorrow. :) Hopefully everyone makes it over from the old thread, I'm jonesing for a Modesty Blaise fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Aleph Null posted:

Posting R Ubbish edits without posting the Mighty Mark rap is almost a crime. Unfortunately, I can't find it saved on my laptop. I may have viewed it on my tablet instead in which case, crap.
Please tell me someone has it.

No way, that's our cultural heritage. I know I have it saved in like three separate places, let me start digging.

Edit: So it is. :) False alarm.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2013

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Mister Beeg posted:

Geez, couldn't you wait until midnight or something?

Unlike you, scrub, I plan to be doing better things at midnight tonight. :pervert:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
We're ringing in the New Year right! :toot:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Also, I put some effort into the OP and am a little saddened to find that apparently it didn't meet anyone else's requirements.

What? I thought it was great and said thanks. :glomp: You did a great job.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
They just look so happy. :allears:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

The way the lines are drawn in the first panel, Thorn looks like she's facing forward above the waist and backward below the waist. Limber gal.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

With all the effort he spent stretching that to six panels, he could have written an actual joke.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

One of my favorite instruments. :3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_d%27amore

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Midnight Moth posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I'm guessing this is going to lead to some real dog/robo dog shenanigans although we already had that theme come up a few times.

Yet another new character. Whatever happened to Grammy K, or the sentient 3D printer, or the parents for that matter? Bleeker's circling the drain creatively, it's got a bad case of Roy/Poochie syndrome going.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Midnight Moth posted:

Skip's parents have never been shown AFAIK although I haven't read it from the beginning. I have no idea why Orac-L or especially Grammy K have been written out since they should both still be around.

They were shown a few times, but only from the waist down. The last time we saw them (or rather, their legs and butts) they were heading out the door with suitcases saying "Oh, Grammy K is going to come stay with you for a while!" Exit parents, pursued by a bear. We also had Refurb as one of the new characters, but he's actually pretty good. This dog makes the fourth new character introduced to the strip in the last year or two. I guess they're just throwing everything at the metaphorical wall to see what sticks.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Allen Wren posted:

Get hosed.

Harsh, but fair.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't know what Rip Kirby is about. Gangsters maybe? One thing's for sure, I'm not going to take the second and a half required to look it up :effort: . Originally from 1954.

It comes pre-Borden-edited. :stare:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

That's pretty rich, considering Froggie's first reaction to Mandrake and Lothar was to pull out a gat.

Hey, everyone, Death Ray is busily working on the Weapon Brown kickstarter bonus story! :allears: Splash page looks great.

drat, that's a fine woody.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Aww, Morrie. :( You were a standup guy, Mr Turner, godspeed.

Am I reading this wrong or is Prince Valiant standing on that guy's nuts?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Thank you.

"Haw haw son women are strange, fickle, foolish creatures unlike us male normal human beings! Be sure you treat them that that way!" This, with a straight face, in the year of our lord 2014. Die in a loving fire, Gilchrist.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Midnight Moth posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Only dorks call them graphic novels. Dork.

Someone please Red and Rover this for me, because wtf.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Thank you for reminding me to listen to that album again. :drat:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Four Eyes looks more like imitation Kate Beaton to me than McMillan.

Edit: As long as I'm posting gotta let it out, the art in that Zachary Nixon Johnson whatever thing is technically competent but loving hideous. McMillan at her rat-bitten-fruit worst is more pleasant to look at, even with her non-Euclidean cars and facial features sliding all over the place.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 22, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Trilobite posted:

I realize that trying to follow A3G closely is a fool's errand, and I know that LuAnn and Tommie are particularly dumb and boring...but I have absolutely no idea what to make of this strip.

Is LuAnn being uncharacteristically sarcastic and clever by suggesting venison for dinner when Tommie's been keeping a baby deer in the apartment? Does Tommie just not know where venison comes from? Is this setting up a comedy of errors where Jim or some guy who looks like Jim (ie, any guy in A3G) sees the venison on his plate and assumes that Tommie shoved Bambi into the oven? What is happening in my fourth- or fifth-favorite soap strip?

Can you even buy venison in a grocery store? It would have to be FDA-approved, which means that it couldn't be wild-hunted, it'd have to be farmed. :psyduck: This whole storyline is so odd.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Tonight is a night of wonders. :allears:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Poor Sir Herald. He supports anything that can be done to save Maude, but really, breaking someone out of prison? That has to be pushing it.

I'll take Modesty Blaise in any shape I can get it, but the return of the well-preserved strips is awesome. Romero's art has really grown on me, and with these clear sharp scans you can really appreciate the detail and composition of every panel. Even the lettering is beautiful. :swoon:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

I'm having Boston and Shaun flashbacks, it's like 'Nam all over again man :cry:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Julet Esqu posted:

Juliet Jones

I want to strap the artist(s) on Zachary Nixon Johnson into one of those Clockwork Orange chairs and make them stare at this until they learn how to draw good action sequences.

Edit: also see, THIS is how you use loving zip-a-tone

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 9, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Beerdeer posted:

I would LOVE if Liberty Meadows got picked up for the thread.

Cho is indeed infamous for his cheesecake, but that fucker can really draw.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Kammat posted:

You are a treasure to this thread.

Modesty Blaise

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/RiTPnHA.jpg :nws:

Oh Willie! :science:

Oh Willie! :ohdear:

As are you, Kammat. Modesty and Willie are just so damned clever. :allears: This has been a great story so far. I can't help but have a bad feeling about Nauga, though. I hope she doesn't end up like poor Madge, O'Mara plays rough.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Edminster posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the dwarfs from Oglaf in raccoon suits!

All but that last link should be considered highly :nws: by the way.

Thank you for reminding me how good Oglaf is. :haw:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

I'm almost fifty. The Beatles hit big in America the year I was born. Therefore, based on this strip, Fritzi (and her titzis) cannot be less than sixty years old.

Edit: \/\/ :golfclap:

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 24, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Remember when I described the art in Zachary Nixon Johnson as "technically competent"? :ughh:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Simian_Prime posted:

That's because there's practically nothing else going on in ZNJ - the entirely story line is just this gormless douche being shuffled around to different locations and meeting unlikeable characters because LOL SO RANDOM!!! SEE THESE ROBOTS THEY'RE FUNNY BECAUSE THEY CURSE A LOT ARE U LAUGHING YET?!?

The busy, overcrowded composition of the art is really just to distract the viewer from the lack of plot. It's a lot like Gil Thorpe in that way.

Look at the eyelines in the first panel. Look at Staypuft Man there. He's talking to DeeDee and his sightline is over her shoulder and about a foot in front of her head. That's not even getting into the stroke victim in the last panel.

And yeah, the narrative has a lot of problems too.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
don Jaime, why do you hate us? :smith:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I feel like I've been doing nothing but carping lately, so let me say that I am really starting to love this strip. I liked it from the beginning for the art, but the story is a perfect combination of creepiness and charm. Good stuff.

Also, Modesty Blaise still owns bones. :colbert:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I like the guy in the background who had the presence of mind to score himself a metric fuckton of sushi.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Humanoid Female posted:

Superfrog was by me, and I am always so amazed and heartwarmified by how many people still want it to come back. It's been YEARS and while I haven't really thought seriously of doing more of it, I don't totally rule it out or anything, some day when I have the spare time again.

Superfrog was awesome, and if you choose to do more that will also be awesome. If not, Superfrog will always live on in our hearts. :love:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Gorbash posted:

Kammat, you're a prince of a goon for posting Modesty Blaise, but would it be at all possible for you to go back to linking to the enormous resolutions from the Iron God and earlier? I think Modesty deserves 2300*2900 if it can be done easily.

Seconded, if it's not too much trouble. The big scans really let you appreciate all of Romero's detail. :love:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Borden, you are a treasure. :allears:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I hope it's Les' old nickname.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Evil Mastermind posted:

You made me realize that nobody's posted Ham Shears in a while, so I went to GoComics to see what's been happening and

I must admit I didn't see that coming at all. :suspense:

Am I the only person who finds this amazingly charming and sweet? :3: Jill and Other Jill, sittin' in a tree...

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I would have to agree with you here. Especially regarding the diamond heist. That, to me, almost killed the strip. When Ham Shears was first posted, it was really pretty funny, and (I don't want to use the term "lighthearted") had a fairly quirky/funny plot. That changed with the diamond thingy. So yeah, maybe the cartoonist was like "poo poo, this is really starting to flatline... we need to change it up", and BAM! lesbians. Which, honestly, might just be the shot in the arm it needs. As long as it doesn't go all "Jane's World-y", or "DtWOF-y". I guess we'll see.

I guess it doesn't feel that way to me because there was so much foreshadowing of it, especially during the date with Boss arc. I was glad to see Madeline Queripel didn't go with the standard romantic comedy trope of "Jill yearns silently and endlessly for Ingrid instead of just saying something" and instead had Jill actually just speak up and get it out in the open. But yes, the diamond story was pretty slow and pointless. Still like Ham Shears, though. :) I'm curious to see where she goes with it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Eschers Basement posted:

I gotta say, the thing that most fascinates me about Emmy Lou is how well Marty Links documents the styles of the period. If you look at most strips with young characters, the characters fit into one of two styles - either some sort of timeless 'generic white middle class' style (Dustin, Shoe, Blondie, FOOB) or into the 'distinctly the style worn when the character was created and has never updated' (Zits, Nancy). Emmy Lou really stands out for having the main characters actually dress in the style that fashion-concious teenagers of its time would, and updating that style as times changed.

Having looked up the author on Wikipedia, it turns out that Marty Links was educated at San Francisco's Fashion Art Institute, so I guess it makes sense that she paid so much attention to style and dress.

fake edit: wait, it took three people to make Emmy Lou? A gag writer, a penciler, and an inker? That's... that's a lot more effort than I would have expected.

I've been enjoying it for the same reason, I remember wearing all of those granny dresses and hotpants. :v: That's really interesting about Marty Links and her background in fashion illustration. Contrast that with the women's clothes in Juliet Jones; Stan Drake is observationally very accurate but he doesn't quite capture the fashions (something which actually works well for the small-town girls he's depicting, come to think of it.)

• Locked thread