Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Elohssa Gib posted:

Finally, it has been awhile since I saw the Raine Dog page, but was wondering could there be a simpler explanation for the scene or is it just my memory refusing to accept what was there?

The simplest explanation is that Dana Simpson really needs an editor.

The less simple speculative explanation is that comic as a whole came out of Dana while she was undergoing gender reassignment and likely really stressed and trying to find herself. The comic as a whole dealt with a lot of issues about identity and gender, and was already really weird as it did this through an intelligent dog that had been spayed. Things went really awry when the comic went into the dog's origins and built up a basic dog and boy story that suddenly got a lot of inappropriate turns jammed into it that lead to the infamous pedo-bestiality sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Did the colorist mistake Dill's hat for hair and color his face brown because of that. :psyduck:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

And off we go down yet another fork in the road.

Tiggum posted:

I like Jane's World, but it is ridiculously hard to follow. Are we supposed to know who this Dorrie is or what wedding they're talking about? Is any of this even happening in the present or are we still three layers deep in nested flashbacks?

I like Jane's World, but it's starting to feel like Rip Haywire, but with lesbian drama. Just constant rising action and climaxes but nothing else.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Luann

Yeah. OK. Whatever.

I will say I like the faces here, and feel they convey Luann's frustration very well. The only detail is that this would work a lot loving better if, say, her dad had called her while she was in the middle of making out to remind her she's late and needs to be home now, instead of this self-governing bullshit.

I don't know why I find Monty Hyde's cliched low-intensity vandalism so amusing, but I do. :haw:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

"Hey Gunther could you maybe stop jacking off under the covers while I'm in the room?"

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Luann

Until they take his arms out from under the covers, I'm just going to continue to assume he's masturbating.

No Gunther, don't be a bad boy. Bad boys grow hair on their palms. No, wait, that's what Rosa wants. Keep your hands under those covers, Gunther, it's your last chance not to lose her!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Grandma died of old age, Skip pawned the printer for Ritalin money. He's going to kill that dog somehow, I just know it.

With Grandma dead, Skip hasn't eaten anything in weeks other than the gruel that Bleaeker produces as an emergency food source. Skip is lucky this design feature was implemented as the developers for Bleaeker were aware only criminally negligent parents would actually buy a Bleaeker to care for their child.

Needless to say, Skip is getting a nice meal tonight as soon as Bleaeker tranquilizes him and slaughters the dog to cook.

e:

"What the hell, dude, spell my name right!"

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 15, 2014

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

I don't know what I just read but it was magical. :swoon:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

That will just get them to kill you so they can declare themselves the new gods.

If they ask if you're a god they're probably planning to kill you anyway. Might as well take the outside bet in hopes they're willing to speak to a god. :colbert:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

don Jaime posted:

Catching up with Lio.

I laughed like a loon at that cat's insane stare.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

For a moment I thought this was going to be an actual amusing joke about Elly pressganging Michael into playing an instrument then acting like it was his idea. But no, just more about how she's the martyr that's put upon by everyone.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Kavak posted:

I think we've found our new thread title.

Seriously. I was laughing at that sentence way longer than I should have been.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm getting increasingly confused as to how Paley made something as good as Sita Sings the Blues when the strip is this shallow and annoying.

That Nina's Adventures is from 1993. Sita Sings the Blues was released in 2008. That was 15 years Paley had to grow as a person. I don't think it's that surprising she changed substantially in that time period.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'll state again that Nina's Adventures are really good, and anyone with doubts about the humourousness of its tone seems to me to be so tone-deaf that I question their basic literacy. Also Momma owns.

Yeah, I don't mean to criticize it when I said she had 15 years to grow. I'm enjoying the comic, but some of the stuff like the Christmas one do come off as a bit whiny in tone. I imagine that wasn't really her intention, though, and it was just supposed to be funny.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

sweetguts posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke we're SUPPOSED to get from this is "haha, Tiffany is vain and terrible and loves anything that looks even remotely like her face" but I choose to interpret it as her being genuinely flattered and cheered up by the kind gesture of a child. I know it's not true, but I can dream.

Yes, I also choose to interpret this as the tipping point where Tiffany suddenly understands and cherishes her chance to interact with these kids. She recants and keeps her job, finding it more fulfilling than anything she's ever done before.

Meanwhile Luann continues to dump on her anyway because Luann is a bland rear end in a top hat.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/23/2003

This is a problem? They do, in fact, grow up, Juliette.

Other than what I guess will be later revelations that show Juliette and Edna have a really weird relationship devoid of any sort of filter about sex that normally exists between mother and daughter, I will say those are likely the best teeth McEldowney has ever drawn. They still have pulpy dough faces, but the teeth actually look sort of human rather than hideous hellmaws.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Les is being a dick but I'm with him here. Not just on the general principle of being an antagonist to the despicable main cast but the dude's gotta pee and ten others with him and you don't get to occupy all the loos all on your own.

If this were any other comic I would expect it about to be a moral about Zero Tolerance rules with Knut and the girl getting into trouble for fighting and using the boy's restroom because who the gently caress ropes off a restroom for a single person when there's apparently enough students about to form a line at the girl's bathroom.

But since this is Luann I'm guessing Knut suffers no repercussions for trying to choke out Les because hey, as you said, designated villain.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

I can't stop laughing at Monty in the last panel there. The main does not kid around when it comes to Risk.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Why would a wolf have claws like that. I'm pretty sure even rabbits have sharper claws than wolves.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Maybe that drawing associates with the gender assigned at birth but happens to enjoy cross-dressing, way to assume Shujogun

Being that it's a Mike Lester drawing I'm pretty sure it's impossible it's anything else. I would be absolutely shocked that Mike "I take selfies at Chick-fil-a to show those faggots what for" Lester could conceive of transgenderism as anything other than gross hairy men wanting to wear wigs and use women's bathrooms. So glad he can do this in the funniest section now rather than just the editorials section.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just to check, is anybody reading the words in this?

I am. It's one of my new favorite comics in the thread.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

TofuDiva posted:

I am, but it started being posted here at the tail end of a story. You're seeing the wrap-up of a pretty involved storyline that's been going on for a long while. I've been reading it on Gocomics almost since he started the strip. Somebody mentioned Lovecraft, but the art reminds me of Dr Seuss.

Really? This felt like the start of a new storyline that was likely using previously seen character. I went back a few strips before the ones that started being posted here and this one felt like the start of a new storyline. It's the first mention of Slynderfell I saw going back through the archives for a bit, at least.

I'm going to read it from the start at some point either way though.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

SubNat posted:

The Adventures of Stinky

You should be more Moomin-minded.

(Kind of want to grab this for myself.)

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/5/2003

Bleh. Dumb.

The "ravening beast" strips really creep me out. It's like Brooke is trying to romanticize men being uncontrollable rapists and women should totally want to have that effect on them. :psyduck:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Turns out bad people exist.

You would think she would recognize her husband's voice.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm more vexed about celebrating Arthur driving the Angles back from England.

King Arthur doesn't care that the Angles have already assimilated economically and culturally, he's taking loving England back for the Britons.. :black101:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I think I figured out what doesn't sit right with me about this. The art is amazingly static. Even with the motion lines it doesn't look like Colin Mochrie's head actually moved. That's also part of what bugged me about the "I'm the hottest zombie ever!" page. It's just amazingly static art.

e:

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh, so that's why Brooke has never managed to successfully tell one.

Sick burn on the Nazis, there, Brooke.

Seriously, was his goal with this storyline to make people sympathize with the Nazis by having his non-Nazi character be so insufferable?

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 8, 2014

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

scarycave posted:

- But which ones the real Mark? :ohdear:

I was just noticing that. Did they just use clipart of Mark Trail as a villain in this story arc.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Yeah, it was terrible to send her there. What if the guys inside start condescendingly reeling off esoteric terms at her while ignoring that she clearly is new to comic collecting and not actually invested in it for herself. That would be terrible. :rolleyes:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Poor Peter is going to miss the best thing ever because he's too busy with the V-Day sex. :(

The only thing Peter is getting V-Day sex from is Iron Jonah. :pervert:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

e: ^^^ So he's Resurrection Man? :flashfact:

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Yes. Of course.

Maybe Comic Book John is terrified of this guy because he's a reminder that he stole a soldier's wife?

This is hilarious to me because it reinforces that the guys at Komix Korner were the evil assholes she should have avoided and they were trying to keep her away from Black Hole Comics because they knew if she met the nice, but gruff, guy that runs it she would never come back and put up with their bullshit again.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 15, 2014

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Darthemed posted:

It may surprise no one that Mr. Breathed is, himself, kind of a goofy-looking guy.

He's not goofy-looking, he chooses to look like Jeff Foxworthy.* :colbert:

* This is a baseless lie.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Huh. I wonder what the "project" is.

I actually appreciate Dana going above and beyond and coloring her re-runs as a bonus.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Is this the first time we've seen Conspiracy Frog's body?

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

And here is the most loving surreal Compu-Toon I've seen. I'm from Mississippi, and when I read it I thought, "Oh, there must be plenty of podunk towns named Tupelo." Then I looked up where Boyce actually lives. He lives in Olive Branch, Mississippi, meaning he's about an hour from the Birthplace of The King, Tupelo, MS. Which I grew up also an hour away from.

It is doubly surreal to now know that not only the guy that does Lucky Cow but also Boyce both live in Mississippi.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/18/2003

Oh Jesus, Brooke, the Arabesque thing again? :suicide:

I just realized why this rung a bell deep in my memory pile by combining "Inexplicable reference to the word 'Arabesque' with 'hideous comic.'" I remembered it because of Areba Koala and his sister Arabesque. I'm starting to think Brooke is just going down the definition list of the word "Arabesque" to make comics. I suppose in a few days we're going to see some loving Arabesque architecture to cap off this Trifecta of poo poo that Brooke is pushing.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Pentaro posted:

Jackel Rod's Gyo

Thank you for this magic. :allears:

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Pooch Café

Holy poo poo. I'm going to break character here, I've been editing a dog covered in mummy bandages into every pooch café strip since the first mention of the hobo king from Dr. McNinja. I had no idea the story arc was actually going to lead to a goddamn dog made of bandages.

Your edits are amazing and subtle. I didn't realize you had done it in more than one and had to go back and look through all of them again.

poo poo like this could have been avoided if Disney kept running that episode of Gargoyles. <:mad:>

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Should've gone with a barn swallow instead. Those are a hell lot faster.

Should've gone with turning her assistants into barn owls.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This is dumb, but at least the plot's moving again.

I get the feeling that the three people involved in the writing, drawing, and coloring of this comic are each competent at their jobs in a vacuum. Somehow, the three of them all working together, however, produce something much worse than any one of them would normally put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I haven't read ahead so maybe this changes, but at this point Zachary Nixon Johnson is all but straight up cribbing from the plot of Altered Carbon which is a fantastic sci-fi noir novel infinitely better than this drek.

(Literally the plot of the book is that a rich old gently caress dies and is restored from a upload of his brain which leads him to hiring Takeshi Kovacs as a P.I. to discover why he died.)

• Locked thread