Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DBZA is coming up on one of the best moments in the entire series - Vegeta absolutely annihilating Cell. I'm really looking forward to that - he's cocky as hell in the series as is, I AM THE HYPE Vegeta is going to be turning it up to 11. Or maybe they'll have him hit him once and go 'gently caress it go get your android' or something. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Its also come up to one of the darker* moments of the series coupled by a strong reminder that Vegeta is a Grade A Egocentric Fuckup that no one should be idolizing!

I cant wait for TFS's take on Trunks reaction to his dad's assholery, and then the subsequent meltdown by Veggy over Trunks holding his own. :allears:

*Thinking on, i hope they do get around to the Buu saga, hoooly drat does that get dark for a dumb fight mans anime.

For that matter I'm still curious how they'll play 17 going down. I wonder if they'll throw expectations by having 16 refuse to fight Cell on the grounds that he's not Goku and 17 just disappear way earlier than expected.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That could actually work pretty well, since he'd keep trying to kill him even when hopelessly outclassed which could be played for laughs pretty well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I watched some more DBZA. Well...

I'd watch the Namekimania episode, that was the one that really got me hooked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

I think there is some good stuff in the earlier episodes... but it's few and far between. I still crack up at the whole "Ahh, my space-armour!" joke chain, but other than a couple of bits in the first episode, I don't remember anything until the final fight with the saiyans being worth watching. That still has some good bits, like Yamcha being Yamcha'd and Vegeta is pretty much great from the get go.

Basically, you should just watch Dragonball Kai Abridged 1 and then skip straight to the Namek arc.

Piccolo calling Gohan a NERRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD was pretty good too, but that was just a moment

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah actually thinking about it Frieza's little counting game was another of the moments that made me think 'yeah, this show is worth it'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I'mma deck you in the schnozz.

Oho!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Frieza saga is where DBZA really hits its stride and never looks back. The quality of pretty much everything picks up and the writing gets a lot better.

I completely agree with this. Frieza's VA and writing were absolutely loving top notch.
They took the smug emperor to a whole new level.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Testekill posted:

What made DBZA Frieza so good was that occasionally the smugness would crack and he'd be genuinely menacing.

Oh no, no, don't mind me, I'm just a little bit ABSOLUTELY LIVID

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Nappa still gave me one of my favourite gags in the series.

"I can fly."

Wait, where'd he go?
or was he never there at all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Think my most iconic moment has to be their #3, Gohan finally unleashing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Super Saiyan 3 felt like the most useless transformation of them all, Did Goku or Gotenks ever accomplish anything other than wasting time with it?

He hosed up Janenba pretty good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i'm playing a fireza race called two finger

all moves i do in fights are going to use two fingers only

so i think that limits me to instant transmission and.... well sometimes i think cell used two fingers for a blast?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Quack posted:

He didn't teach the other guys the Kaioken nor the Genki dama.

Goku was also awful. He trained with Picolo and Gohan for years and didn't teach them those nor the instant transmission.

gotta stay relevant somehow

honestly of everything i'm really most surprised gohan wasn't using the special beam cannon left right and centre given piccolo was such a big influence on him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mmkay posted:

A 5 minute start-up time is pretty abysmal in terms of usability in battle.

on a related note, i'm expecting vegeta to begin charging his final flash in dbza and a smashcut to cell kicking him into the air while trunks shakes his head in disbelief that he'd try such a retarded attack

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

next to goku's spirit bomb it has to be the longest charge time of any attack, and it's not like anyone else is even keeping cell busy
i just can't see cell standing there and taking it, unless he does the 'do you wanna see something cool?' card

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Gohan manifested a seventh Cell Jr. just so he could kill it too. It's almost the angriest you can be, to do that.

worst change in kai imo was taking out the 8th one

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Endorph posted:

cell made seven

he wanted an even match and the z-fighters had a crew of 8 (goku, gohan, piccolo, vegeta, yamcha, tien, krillin, trunks), so he made seven. the anime had gohan kill 8. one of them could have used tien's duplicate move, though.

lol except there's nothing to suggest this whatsoever

it's pretty clear they just hosed up and miscounted

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Momomo posted:

You could also call it the Namek saga.

It's kind of weird to think about what his last significant win was. Wasn't it Pui Pui? That guy barely even counts as a fight. Before that was what, Android 19? and before that it was Zarbon? Vegeta never really got to do very much.

eh i count him steamrolling imperfect cell, he won that fight by a mile it's just he's a goddamn retard

dunno why trunks wasn't just like yo dad how bout you flatten this fool then fight kakkarot when he pops out of the time chamber in a bit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

are tfs gonna do battle of gods abridged?
and new frieza abridged?
their frieza was best frieza, although that moment where funimation screams 'DON'T TELL ME!!! IT'S TRUE, ISN'T IT!?!?' is right up there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

as an aside, a while ago i noticed the earlier episodes go 'this is a nonproft fanbased parody' where the newer ones go 'this is a fanbased parody' did they start making money off it at some point?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fair point

i'd like to see them do fusion reborn but to be honest that movie combined silliness and serious moments so well already that there isn't a lot more they could really do with it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

after looking at their store i'd probably wear the 'i am the hype' shirt if it didn't have the super saiyan on it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

i'm looking forward to seeing piccolo get owned again

wonder if anything will top brolly's brutal ownage of piccolo, that was ruthless as gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

it probably means nothing but in xenoverse it's classed as 'bioarmor' and the description says it's extruded from their bodies

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

e X posted:

I generally really liked the Android saga so far, but even I must agree, this was a standout episode. Really densely packed with jokes and call backs. That being said, I really don't care for their Cell. Maybe that's because he is generally don't like him all that much, but compared to their Freeza and Vegeta, I find him competitively boring.

Also, man, this really reminds me of the bullshit Piccolo has to go through in the source material. His fusion with Kami is relevant for all of two fights and makes him barely even with 17.

I think their Cell is fine, and they've done with him what they did with every other major villain - turn up an aspect of their personality (Nappa - big dumb brawler, Vegeta - egotistical as gently caress, Frieza - poncy space emperor) to 11.
Great episode. Really, really great. And the eyes sliding back at the end was fantastic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder how much they'll riff on the fact that, starting with this episode, pretty much everyone is going to act like a moron and do the worst possible things to ensure Cell becomes Perfect.

Uh, Trunks? He had his head on right up to and including challenging his own father (who he probably would have lost to in a straight-up fight). Dude might not have been the best fighter in the world but you can't fault his decisions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also we've got Tien's finest moment coming up pretty shortly. The b-team generally knew what was up.

Thanks for reminding me of one of the hardest fights in DB: Raging Blast 2, when I hadn't unlocked any real items yet and Semi Cell kept smashing my loving face in with Big Bang Crash :argh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sometime ago I wondered who, in the third DBZ Kai Abridged episode, would be the one to say "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say". I've started to think differently.

Cell: I am terrifying and you will fear everything I say.

... AND DO!! (drinks someone)

That back and forth between him and Piccolo was fantastic.

"I sensed a disturbance."
"WELL I AM PRETTY DISTURBING"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What's Tarble in?

And is Budokai Tenkaichi 3 worth picking up? I found a copy for sale second hand, but they want 70 bucks for it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well it's tied with Xenoverse for best DB game in my opinion so I'd say yes, which version is it?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/playstation-2/games/fighting/auction-890150376.htm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

You should get the Wii version, the only good game where you actively throw your own kamehamehas.

I don't own a Wii. And I just forked out for a PS3 to play MGS4 and the last of us, so I don't really feel like splashing out on another console I'll hardly use.

So yeah, I guess I won't be buying it for the 70 he wants.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thinking about the first Broly movie it almost seems like thematically Gohan going SSJ2 would have been a better ending. I mean Broly pounds the gently caress out of everyone he cares about much as Cell does and it's at the right point in time for it to happen. But I guess that would take away from his moment against Cell.

Still, Broly makes a great game character/final boss.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

Fusion Reborn kicks rear end because Gogeta sparkles Janemba into a tiny ogre child and Gotenks blows up Hitler and the Nazi army before Vegeta fades away into nothingness because at this point gently caress continuity in these things.

you forgot mr satan punching out some zombies then grumbling that no one's around to see him actually winning a fight

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah i know just that that whole movie is fantastic quite possibly the best of them

though tfs' cooler 2 is pretty fantastic

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Had a few good moments but I didn't really think that was a very good episode. But I guess they're trying to build up to the Vegeta smackdown. Still, Cell playing with his lips was fun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Someone's not a Tien fan.

hmmmm.... i'll watch it again and see if my opinion changes.

also, i'm making a prediction:
krillin saying 'this remote is heavier than i thought' is a leadup to him dropping it because it's too heavy then stumbling and crushing it by accident.

i could be way off the mark but if this happens i called it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

or that but to be fair they have portrayed krillin as being pretty bumbling more than once

as i say i could be way off the mark

edit: on rewatching yeah your interpretation makes more sense particularly with the way he says it.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 31, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

After a second watch I didn't really notice the inconsistency as much. It still isn't very distinct though.

bblllbblllbbllbbllbblllbbllllbblllbbblllbbbllllbblllbbbll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Those shots were the better side of filler too. Now if Goku starts getting extended flashbacks of that time he plowed the field five minutes ago and every episode begins with a reanimated recap of the last quarter of the previous episode then we may have a problem

haha you mean like vegeta kicking perfect cell in the head and immediately after has a flashback to his kick failing?

• Locked thread