Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

njsykora posted:

The hashtag the NXT twitter's been using was #NXTarRIVAL which is probably worse.

Albertan tar sands, the WWE is comin for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So is the network still unavailable to the half of Canada that doesn't have Rogers cable and a lovely watered down version for people on Rogers or have they come to their senses yet?

I'd love to go back and watch a bunch of old PPVs, but every time I look into the network in Canada it seems to be a gigantic clusterfuck. I want to give them money if they'll let me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Rogers is paying them a lot of money and the Network is allegedly doing pretty well.

They are very likely negotiating something similar for the UK.

So the 80% of Canadians using other cable providers are pretty much hosed? Great. Rogers doesn't even offer cable services west of Ontario.

What a brilliant idea, turn the Network into an even shittier more annoying HBO.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Time to put the Shamwow guy on commentary.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

TL posted:

I think some people are thinking that whether or not their opinion of the Network's value is the absolute truth. I personally think it's a great value, if only for the monthly shows and the back catalog of PPVs. The Network as it is right now is 9 year old me's wet dream. That said, if someone else disagrees, while I don't get it or agree, it's their prerogative, and their 9.99.

I'd throw down $60 for six months of the network without even blinking if I could. Being able to come home from work and toss on an old PPV as background noise as a nostalgia trip is easily worth ten bucks a month to me. I might not always resub exactly at the six month mark, but they'd reliably get at least 6-8 months a year out of me, especially if they fleshed out the RAW/Smackdown/Nitro/Thunder catalogue. The current PPVs I don't particularly care about. They could strip the new PPVs out and I'd still pay ten bucks for it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Baby Babbeh posted:

What do you people who are cord cutters do for your internet, exactly?

In Canada I have Shaw Cable. $70 a month let me bump up to a higher tier Internet package than I had before. With the cable I had slightly worse Internet and cable I rarely used for $110 a month.

I decided I'd rather save the $40 and spend it on things that actually give me content I want like Netflix or if they start offering it unbundled HBO Go. I've been on the fence about the NFL streaming package as half the time cable didn't have the games I'd want and the sketchy Internet streams they post in SAS aren't always great quality.

It's less about cost savings to me and more cable does a lousy job of always having the content I actually want available. Something like WWE Network is primarily attractive to me for the enormous on demand back catalogue, but tying it to a cable provider not even available in my half of the country is a problem.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

the funny part is the old AWA guys had Rick Steiner picked to be the next big thing.

Who could have imagined the "dog-faced gremlin" gimmick might doom a guy to the mid-card?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Seams posted:

Other than Goldberg, the nWo and the cruiserweights, what else from WCW deserves an hour long episode? Sting? DDP?

Three Count.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
A Vampiro documentary consisting of an hour of former WCW talent calling him a dick.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Forget Hell in a Cell, Punjabi Prison matches for life yo. :colbert:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

I actually liked both Punjabi Prison matches. They had a fun ruleset that made sense and the cage looked cool.

However it probably looked like poo poo live.

I liked the parts of the match I could see through that ridiculous cage. It's up there with TNA's electrified cage for bad ideas though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I just wish they'd tell us how fans felt about WWF's cartoonish gimmicks vs the gritty realism of WCW. Been wondering about that for a while.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

triplexpac posted:

So in Canada it's not called the "WWE Network" yet because we don't have all the content. What we have is called the "WWE Net Pak" which is a terrible name. It at least sounds like it should be available online, but it's not.

In a shocking turn of events Canadian consumers get hosed by one of Rogers/Telus/Bell yet again. Who could have seen that one coming?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Thauros posted:

It's a drat shame that offering an inferior product ended up being the way to go because a large percentage of wrestling fans are still uncomfortable with streaming services or lack adequate Internet access. I know that the Brits might be kinda screwed as well because the Canadian launch went much better than the US.

Oh it's nothing to do with the customer. Here in Canada we have a small group of companies in total control of the Canadian cellular and cable industries. They actively collude to gently caress the consumer and keep prices sky high. This is the latest in a long list of moves to protect their dying cable television business. They've tried to gently caress with Netflix in a variety of ways too.

Rogers is an enormously lovely company. Somehow most of their competitors (Telus and Bell) manage to be worse.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Watching the cruiserweights episode of the Monday Night Wars. The existence of the entire network was justified singlehandedly by CM Punk's crack about Scott Putski.

Edit: Dynamic storylines *plays the "I choppy-choppy your pee pee" Kaientai/Val Venis clip*

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 26, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The way they keep calling the 80% of Canadians that can't get the WWE Network idiots on PPV is really going over well up here. It's bad enough that they completely botched making it available here without VPN fuckery.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Only the craziest of hardcore fans actually watch all the poo poo the WWE puts out every week. I'd guess the bulk of the audience just watches RAW and PPVs. Smackdown is far from its glory years under Heyman and even though Main Event had some pretty awesome matches I rarely make the time.

Interesting that wrestling audiences seem ok with watching part of what the company puts out while anyone I know who dug UFC bailed once there was an overwhelming number of shows to follow.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flashy_mcflash posted:

The business is already exposed

It's a minor pet peeve, but I hate how they only go half way on things like the Monday Night Wars. They dance around the edges of flat out calling it a work, but wedge in awkward little nods to kayfabe. Every time they have a moment of "golly gee _________ sure is tough and I had to work extra hard to beat him for the title" I cringe.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
(The) Brits screwed Brits.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Gaz-L posted:

Huh, they put up a video of Vince personally apologising for the UK delay. Only viewable if your IP says you're from here, and the video's pretty much Vince using more words to say what the original article on WWE.com did, but it's interesting. They must've gotten a LOT of negativity.

Where's our apology video for sticking Canada with a lovely gimped version of the Network only available from a cable provider that doesn't even do business west of Ontario.

Maybe the next step is to force the lovely cable channel on everyone stateside west of Minnesota.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Memento posted:

That video is of Vince rolling around naked in a massive pile of money. Maybe not something we all want to see at this stage.

If the money was on fire I'm game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

oatgan posted:

i sure hope not you forgot to check Kevin Nash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chb8DjmjnCY

Unfortunately his best work was outside of the WWE.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Daniel Bryan posted:

:siren: :siren: NEXT WEEK IS ECW WEEK ON WWE NETWORK!!! :siren: :siren:

Stuff like this is exactly what makes the network appealing to me. I don't particularly care about the current PPVs, but if they keep a steady stream of old WCW, ECW, and WWF material coming I'm hooked.

Hell, dreaming a little, it'd be fantastic if ROH someday gets bought out by the WWE and we get the CM Punk/Raven feud with promos up on the Network. Punk's "Drink your poison, I want you to die!" promo is what turned me into a fan of him.

Edit with Bonus Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuP8tqxeslY

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 6, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

Enjoy your lovely UK tour and your gimped WWE Network.

Kind of hoping it becomes a thing whenever the WWE leaves the US everyone boos the poo poo out of any mentions of the Network.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

My cat is reporting the Australian Network rollout will be actually two sock puppets reenacting iconic WWE scenes at a local children's theater.

These are the socks they're using.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

pressedbunny posted:

The UK Network becoming another Sky channel is the stupidest thing possible.

Now you UK guys get to enjoy being repeatedly called idiots for paying more than $9.99 for PPVs too! Lawler going on ad nauseum about how stupid anyone outside of the US is sure is a great way to sell a product.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Xenoletum posted:

I guarantee you Sky is going to pay WWE a bunch of money to not only carry the PPVs but to carry the network, plus residuals from people subscribing. Even if the consumer is getting a stripped down version, it's going to be more income for WWE than just launching the online option.

At the cost of delivering a lovely half-baked product to yet another major market while advertising the good version incessantly on television and PPV. Morgaging your future in traditionally strong markets like the UK and Canada for a quick fix of cash seems hilariously stupid.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Maybe "Network sucks" chants or something can take the place of CM Punk chants through the lovely parts of shows?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Spikeguy posted:

Is anyone else having trouble to get the network to load up on PC?

Canada and the UK?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

rovert posted:

Welp a Top 100 matches on the WWE Network is coming out today on WWE.com.

#1 will be Hogan/Andre and I will laugh my balls off.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

pressedbunny posted:

If they're going to include any Rumble match, make it 2001. '92s isn't that great.

Bossman loving up his elimination and the mess with Savage were pretty great. Oh and it's the end of Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I would love a Network show of wrestlers picking their top 5 matches and doing a little bit of commentary on each. Doesn't even have to be in depth like the Austin podcast. Just a few minutes about why it was special to them, and then the match plays.

It'd be especially cringeworthy in that sort of half-kayfabe delivery they use on network shows. "It's one of my favourite matches because that night I just wanted it more, left it all on the field and though he was a tough son of a bitch I was the better man. Oh and Vince told us I was winning the match"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It needs to come back.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

TheJoker138 posted:

I would like King of the Ring to come back, but only if they didn't insist on calling the winner "King (Wrestler's Name)" and giving them some loving lame royalty gimmick.

That's kind of the whole point. King Cesaro or King Ziggler would be fun. Can't even say it's career suicide, it worked wonders for King Booker.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

TheJoker138 posted:

King Booker made me hate Booker T because of how loving annoying Queen Charmel was.

Also Austin won it and wasn't saddled with a "ha ha you're a loving idiot who thinks you're ACTUALLY a king lol" gimmick.

On the flipside the Macho King and King William Regal were fantastic. Some guys take a silly gimmick and make it work.

On the surface it's not a good idea, but these days with so much filler crap and talented guys trapped in the midcard I'd be happy to see KotR back.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cardboard Box posted:

i don't understand why people like king of the ring so much because it almost never provided good matches and the winners almost always got very lackluster pushes. i'm glad it's gone.

Mostly because I like my wrestling to either be good or very very bad. With KOTR we've seen a few entertaining winners and a bunch of hilariously awful ones.

The problem with a lot of the current product is it tends to be just bland and mediocre. I'll take a boom or bust gimmick like KOTR over safe and boring any day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If only we'd got King Sabu. Opportunity missed. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

triplexpac posted:

Nope, we're hosed unless you want to use a VPN to get the US Network.

I really need to stop procrastinating and figure out this VPN bullshit. Canada isn't likely to get any less lovely about these things with Rogers/Shaw/Bell/Telus running everything.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

triplexpac posted:

There are free alternatives that have been mentioned (like Hola) but personally I've had no problems with Unblock US. I like Unblock because you set it at the router level, so it works with any device on your wifi. Phones, laptops, tablets, whatever, it will all work and show whatever region's Netflix you want.

Yeah that looks pretty simple and it's nice you can do it at the router level, being able to use my Apple TV for the network/American Netflix is very appealing. I think I read they're unbundling HBO Go from a cable subscription in the states too, would be fantastic if I could buy that outright.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Astro7x posted:

I find it incredibly interesting that fans rejected the characters so hard. Like... This never happens when James Bond is replaced by a new actor.

I like to think there is an alternate universe where CM Punk wrestles Razor Ramon (portrayed by Seth Rollins) and Hulk Hogan (portrayed by Jack Swagger).