Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Is there any particular "best" way to handle Portugal declaring wars of colonial conquest on me as the Cherokee, pre-reformation?

I keep getting within one or two provinces of the "No trail of tears" achievement, then Portugal declares war and drops an 8- or 12-stack on me. I can eventually wipe them out with very judicious use of mercenaries and scorched earth (and an absurdly built-up treasury) but I have no way to actually hit Portugal back, and the "the war has stalled" modifier never builds up fast enough to actually force the war to finish instead of dragging on forever. Trying to just give them a province and gold doesn't work (I get the "they're not willing to accept anything you can offer right now"), but because I can drag it out so much eventually they just demand the exact same request I've been pushing at them the whole time. It's never anything substantial (in the last game it was Manhattan and 400 out of some 3000 ducats) but it makes it a bitch to try and reclaim it later, since they don't have enough provinces in America to occupy for substantial warscore.

Is my only real option to avoid the annoyance of Portugal here just to build up a giant naval fleet beforehand and dump a billion low-tech ships on any transports Portugal sends my way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As the Cherokee, is there any way to stop European nations stop declaring wars of conquest on me when I'm only a few tech levels behind and have standing armies big enough to easily defeat everything they bring across the Atlantic? This is the third one I've gotten a big pile of gold out of, and gold is always good but the actual wars are annoying.

I never got the conversion event, so I'm still Totemist.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Selling provinces being opaque would be less lovely if EU4 had a more dynamic vassal system that allowed you to basically grant semi-autonomy to any province or group of provinces as a last resort.

This would also make the colonial nation thing with totally arbitrary splits a lot less silly sometimes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

South america could use some new nations too.

A whole bunch of tribes in north america got its own nation, why not do the same in the south? I would love to play the Tupi.

Really, to be even vaguely actually-historical about it, there should be a boatload of American OPMs that are all relatively prosperous and fill up most of the "blank" space on the American part of the map, then the first time somebody from the Americas meets a European, disease events start firing off that do horrible nasty things to the base tax, stored points, population, stability, manpower, and so on for all the American nations over the course of about a hundred years.

But that would get in the way of being able to form the Cherokee West Indian Company to brutally extract all the wealth of Southeast Asia before the white man can get there, so, eh.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Sunset Invasion II: A New Level of Betrayal

Ethiser posted:

The ancient Brazilian Rain Forest civilization has returned from space and is ready to reassert themselves as the rulers of the world.

I would unironically pay for a DLC with some kind of newly risen Atlantis that has flying shark cavalry and laser muskets and whatever.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Nope! They are a Powerful Rebel Shield. No downsides!

Thinking about it, it could actually be pretty neat if provinces with very high autonomy but low unrest would occasionally spawn friendly "rebel" armies (presumably small or medium ones with gradual attrition built in) that you can't control but will fight enemies or unfriendly rebels that enter surrounding territories.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dibujante posted:

To simulate feudal life, as long as you're a feudal monarchy you can only recruit troops up to your capital province's force limit. All other provinces spawn their own noble rebel armies proportional to their own forcelimits and they just generally screw around and screw everything up but look impressive on paper.

That would be pretty amazing. Maybe it could be something where the lower your unrest or whatever other "bad stuff" stat is (e.g. the people like you even with high autonomy) the higher chance there is for each army of following your main one or actively participating in wars instead of wandering around your provinces. That way even if you've got sky-high autonomy and feudal monarchy you can still get stuff done as long as you keep a careful eye on stability/inflation/etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The AI, is even dumber than it was before which is incredibly frustrating when you are relying on aI partners to pull their weight.

This has been really annoying when playing as Castile and being allied with Portugal. Portugal usually gets into a war with Morocco pretty quickly. This would normally give me an early chance to try and eat Grenada and maybe some Morocco provinces, but Portugal is dumb as bricks and just sits there with a 20-stack and 10 cogs instead of actually moving any troops over to siege Morocco's territories, with warscore ticking into the negatives all the while.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, is there some package somewhere where you can get the DLC heavily discounted? I look at all the stuff and uhhh, 75 bux for just the core DLC is a bit stiff. What's the order of necessary DLC anyhow? What's the Old Gods for this game?

When there's a sale on (usually right when they release DLC) everything but the most recent DLC will usually have a substantial discount.

The ones that actually add gameplay rather than cosmetic stuff are:
Conquest of Paradise (enables playing Native Americans and creating colonial nations)
Wealth of Nations (enables assorted trading features and creating East India Companies)
Res Publica (enables playing republics with a new faction thing)
Art of War (adds assorted features for the 30 Years War and Napoleonic era)
El Dorado (adds new stuff for Aztecs, Inca, and Maya, new exploration stuff, and the Nation Designer)

You can mix and match any set of the DLC.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So with El Dorado, is there anything to allow the Inca to explore without grinding through to ideas the long way? You can get a colonist through religious reforms, but the gist of my current game seems to be "conquer all the local powers, colonize everything, and sit around waiting for reformation rebels and Europeans for a hundred and fifty years".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

You should have plenty of time to tech up to ADM 4 and dump a bunch of points into Exploration. The Euros won't show up until the mid-1500s and you'll need something to do with all those ADM points anyway, plus running three colonists is way better than one!

I suppose I should be relatively encouraged, since starting as Cusco is really easy compared to how many tries it took me to get No Trail of Tears without getting stomped by the Europeans.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Wiz, please change it so that this free DLC is actually a mandatory part of the patch.

Argas posted:

Yes, this would be amazing.

I would give Paradox money to do this.

Wiz, do a small Kickstarter or something. Each stretch goal can be something that will further make the terrible people panic, like black, Muslim, or non-heterosexual historical figures.

Dibujante posted:

e: actually I would kill for "Great Advisors" to have their own lives and pop into and out of various monarchs' courts for ... various reasons.

This would be pretty great. Having some advisors that can potentially show up in different countries (with assorted unique modifiers/events and stuff that can kick them out or make them decide to leave of their own accord to go somewhere else) could get some of the CK2 "people are running around doing stuff when you're not looking" vibe without having to revamp the existing system very much.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 6, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dibujante posted:

I would adore the ability to have unit sizes increase over time. It would feed into my wanting to experiment with unit size per cost, not effectiveness, changing over time. 1000 longbowmen aren't less effective than 1000 musketeers, but they sure are a lot more expensive. This would make it possibly easier for backwards nations to compensate by throwing money at problems, whereas currently they just get wiped.

That would be really cool, though I think at the medium to high levels of weapon tech you'd need to have some change in effectiveness.

Unless you want the Civ tank vs spearmen thing to happen eventually, anyway.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So do reformed Inca have to Westernize to get any boats or overseas colonization at all? It's weird being at 10/10/11 with Exploration and Expansion and not being able to colonize the untouched Galapagos sitting right there.

Edit: This is especially weird since as reformed non-Westernized Inca there's some events that specifically reference having a navy.

Zurai posted:

It also provides a lot of cool fantasy/scifi modding potential. You could make a fantasy techgroup with wizards replacing cannons, for example, and give them a tiny unit size but tons of pips.

Poil posted:

Maybe replacing cavalry with dragons. Dragon dragoons? But you'd need to be able to set different costs for different tech groups then. Unless you wish to stick in a +5000% cavalry cost and maintenance tradition.

I'm looking forward to a GoT mod where you have dragons instead of instead of cannons. Each one has a unit size of 1 at a massive cost but a crazy number of pips.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 8, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

I have artillery and I haven't figured out how to build boats yet.

As far as I can tell, Native Americans/Mesoamericans can only build boats after westernizing. I can't tell if that's intended or not since some events reference having a navy anyway.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think I'm going to give that "Chinese OPM in California" thing a try. Is there any particular combination of national ideas people would recommend as flavorful and/or mechanically suitable?

Actually, it would be really cool if there was some kind of Steam Workshop support for precreated custom nation setups, so people could share these things.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So for people doing custom map stuff, XKCD did a map that might be interesting to see a version of.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

alcaras posted:

Hopefully we'll have some way of knowing that the AI is getting pissed off if we don't do something (and what would we have to do?) within :time: ... otherwise that might be terrible :(

It would also be nice if there was some kind of diplomatic option to fistshake at the AI and make it feel bad for calling me into a war when an ally of their enemy is right next to me and has a bigger army than I do.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So thinking about ahistorical mods, it would be interesting to see a Green Antarctica style mod with an "evil" nation that appears when other nations explore far enough, and that targets high-technology nations specifically for invasions. Has anybody done anything like that?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm playing as Japan (well, Takeda) and colonizing across southeast Asia. How should I arrange my merchants and trade fleets in order to actually make money from them instead of just breaking even?

Edit: Not being able to just aim everything at my primary trade node makes this completely incomprehensible. How do I even take the "this will increase our trade value" out of the privateering screen and figure out how much actual money that will get me?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 12, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody else on Mac having issues with eu4.app not working (and missing an icon) even after reinstalling/verifying files/etc?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Elman posted:

Wait, is there some advantage to reinforcing during battle against a big stack instead of just dumping all your stacks in there right away?

If you've got more troops than the combat width (or even just a bunch more troops than the enemy), having a giant stack doesn't help much unless enough of them get killed/routed for the extras to matter, while splitting them up means a boost in morale each time the reinforcements drop in.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 27, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Also, combat width gets extra complicated because there's a given number dictated by your miltech (which actually starts at 15, the + from tech is on top of that), and then terrain applies a percentage modifier on top of that result (IIRC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody on Mac finding that the + button on the keyboard doesn't work to increase game speed?

Also, is there any way to completely disable edge scrolling?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 9, 2015

• Locked thread