Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't really have a pet card, but Skullcrack always makes me smile just because of the flavor text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Retcon posted:

He was fun in limited and he's a fun card to build around for janky combo decks. Really like that he can swing for absurd amounts of damage sometimes.

I wish they had just reprinted this guy instead of printing Nivix Cyclops for RtR.
Just 4 of them + 4 YPs and ALL the instants!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Wow, are you me?

Because those are the Gods I opened as well.

And then a Phenax in the following FNM draft. And a Master of Waves.

Special Mention of Things In My Box™

Pain Seer
One of Each Scryland
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
Herald of Torment x2
Spirit of the Labyrinth x2
Courser of Kruphix
:swoon:Brimaz:swoon:

I got five mythics in my box.
Brimaz, Kiora, Karametra, and 2 x Chromanticore :v:

It was a surprisingly good box, actually.
2 x Courser of Kruphix
1 x Pain Seer
1 x Spirit of the Labyrinth
2 x Herald of Torment
and 1 x each scry land.

My only disappointment was that the foil rare was the XXX mana rock.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

My guesses for Annihilation:

Damnation
Armageddon -or- Ravages of War
Wildfire -or- Burning of Xinye
Upheaval
Maelstrom Pulse -or- Pernicious Deed
Vindicate
Maybe Wasteland just because there's no way they'd stick it in something that'd actually bring the price down.
And then a bunch of sweepers that are basically casual EDH fodder.

Reprint Cataclysm. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bhsman posted:

I don't know if the deck can really hit that upper echelon of Tier 1 decks (at least not without a third way to reliably exploit tokens for damage - Purphoros and Tymaret are nice, but it needs...something. A reprint of Grave Pact

R/W variant.
Name? Eidolon of Countless Goats

(Big Eidolons with Murder Investigation and Purphoros.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Elspeth averages about 25 in the States, Mutavault 40.

I'd say you made out.

I can wait because then Izzet goes back to being mediocre at best after we get all our new toys in April. :(

Awww, you never know. Keranos may be the most brokenest god ever. I'm thinking..."every time a sorcery or instant is put into your grave, deal 2 damage to target opponent". Hello Steam Augury! How are you?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LordSaturn posted:

"I can choose between a colorless land that can't cast this Anger of the Gods, or a tapland that can't cast this Anger of the Gods" is a compromised manabase.

Pretty much. Personally, I run 2 Mutavaults max in any deck that is sufficiently mixed to require a full set of (by which I mean 8 or more) CIPT lands.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jenx posted:

That you seem to think that every single person who plays Magic in the world, even at FNM level, has a smart phone with a camera is equally loving hilarious. For example, I haven't had a phone with a camera on it until last year. I simply never needed one.

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that a thread about a trading card game (where obviously not everyone has the same resources) is actually arguing about smart phone bullshit by using the point that not everyone has one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

So I almost never play the pack lotto (or the real one, but this weekend will be an exception to that, too), but I was in Walmart and decided to check the MTG section for Commander decks like I always do. They only had two Theros packs left in stock, so what the hell. Well, first pack....

I had to pass a foil Karametra during draft tonight because the other rare was a Brimaz...
I wanted to just scoop my cards and call it a night, but that would've been too dickish.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Shgdsnag STOP.

This is becoming a very serious problem!

I don't even have the components for RG. I DON'T EVEN HAVE STOMPING GROUNDS.

:negative:

Hey. You don't want those Xenagos, I'll gladly take them off your hands.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Serperoth posted:

Drop one guy and Nissa, put in Nicol Bolas and Karn. Problem solved. :colbert:

Although I guess they're both male so I'm not sure. Drop Nissa and a guy, put in Karn and make Jhoira a 'walker? I'd be up for that.

No Elspeth or Gideon?

I'd love to see what the interactions would be between Nissa and someone like Elspeth. What was it someone here summarized Elspeth's life as? A constant stream of "I didn't ask for this poo poo!"?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would the prices of fetches just dive at the announcement of a new Zendikar set? The new block should be announced in about a month, right?

I could see them hovering until we find out what order they'll be released in. I mean, if Scalding Tarn isn't released in the first set of the block, I don't see it dropping. And we would have to see if only the enemy fetch lands would be reprinted like with the original Zendikar block.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jenx posted:

I love Russian cards, though not for the same reason most people seem to. I don't particularly think they look better than English ones, but since I'm from a Slavic country and I've studied Russian in high school, the Russian cars just have an extra humorous quality to them, in seeing how the Russians translated something. I mean, yeah - Duress is a fine card. Насилие though? That just makes me giggle.

I feel the same way about German cards. Planar Cleansing is nothing compared to Weltenreinigung! :black101:

Too bad it seems like German cards are printed months after the initial release.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JerryLee posted:

Go ahead and order the visible staples ASAP before you wait for the complete list, because I can guarantee you that the speculator market's sphincter is beginning to quiver even as we speak.

If I would ever actually branch out into the money ditch that is Modern, this is probably the type of deck I would play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone else noticed Courser of Kruphix jumping to $8 TCGmid? What the hell happened?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

Could you see using Plea for Guidance instead of Idyllic Tutor in any situation? I have a bunch of those don't don't feel like dropping 30 bucks more when I have alot of the Restore Balance parts already.

Instead of? No. But it went straight into my Gisela EDH deck. :black101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

taladel posted:

If there is a way, they will find it.

Reprint Dragon Hatchling and no dragons over 3 CMC. Flavor! :black101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

toadee posted:

Snapcaster Mage started the year at $14.95 and is now skyrocketing over $40. Ensnaring Bridge is now going up over $25. Enduring Ideal, a card that is worthless outside of being the center of a ridiculously awesome (and hence absolutely terrible) combo deck, is now $5+. Modern is going absolutely loving stupid insane, hopefully some of it settles eventually because it's also just pricing a ton of 'fun casual cards to build silly casual decks around' into oblivion.

Arid Mesa jumping 50% in the last 4 weeks completely turned me off to trying to get into Modern. I was considering it for a while as a less expensive legacy option now that I got back into the swim of things since M14. Nope. Not anymore. I'll just stick with a couple underpowered jank EDH decks for my legacy fix.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just got back from Game Day!

We did two tourneys. One for draft and one for standard. I'm not going to write out a full report, but tl;dr, I drafted a sweet U/W heroic deck that decided to crap out on me, having to mulligan every game except 2. One game, my opening hand was 6 spells and 1 land which was mulligan'd down to 5 lands and my 6 drop which was mulligan'd back to 4 spells and 1 land. loving hell. So, that was a bust despite getting some choice money rares (no mythics, sadly enough).

For the standard tourney, I went with Boros Devotion, and it worked out pretty well going undefeated.

The most memorable match was 2nd round against the guy running the store and his janky Esper Trading Post control deck. It was just counters, destruction, and lifegain from Sphinx's Rev/Trading Post/Blood Baron with Angel's Accord and recurring draw with Prophetic Prism getting sac'd to Post. Its a neat deck, and annoying as hell. I must have done over 50 damage to him the second game. I got his life down to 1 three times in that game and still lost. At least I got him game 3.

Finished off the day crushing the Horde deck with my Phenax mill deck sans any hero cards (because I forgot to bring them). :v: Apparently the deck isn't built to defeat creatures with giant butts. And when you mill all of those artifacts, you get ridiculously good effects. I ended the game with 30 life (didn't take a single hit since Ashiok kept soaking up whatever little damage I couldn't block).

Fun times.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Legion's Initiative??? :swoon:

Wait...was someone playing it at Melbourne?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Don't think I've ever seen Quicken played ever, actually.

Quicken into Divination, dude. Who needs Sphinx's Rev?

C-Euro posted:

What other cards in the deck care about devotion besides Ephara? I didn't see anything like a Gary or Master of Waves-like star in the deck. I just assumed it was white weenie backed up by some control cards and Ephara for card advantage (since she triggers on each player's turn)

None. It really just abuses the devotion that Skyknight and Detention Sphere give to Ephara. The rest of the deck are white weenies, and maybe a couple utility planeswalkers.

I still need two Ephara to build it, but I want to eventually.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

I traded my 2 kiora followers for another one of these, want to get a playset of them eventually, they look so good.

I just need one more. Top 8'd both game day events and won the second one where they decided to give out an extra Follower and Seer. :getin: Black heroic aggro, here I come.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How do you...do that, if it's dead? Am I missing something?

Like Tyramet's black ability, it lets you activate it while he's in the grave.

E;FB!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

aWall posted:

Deck is definitely fun to play. I havent figured out a way to win if you dont have 2 untapped land after you enter the infinite for the omen speaker.

Run a singular Judge's Familiar.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

I just want Mox Opal to get back closer to $40 than $50 so I can finish this Modern Goblins list before some amazing hate card gets printed against it, is that too much to ask? When they were $40 I thought "that's a lot of money for a card that only sees play in Affinity, it has to go down right?" :negative:

In my last round at Gameday I played a BWG list that was running Angel of Serenity. But it was following up Loxodon Smiters, Blood Barons, and Desecration Demons so it wasn't quite the star you're wanting it to be.

That's a pretty loving scary curve, actually. Smiter-->Desecration-->Baron-->???-->Serenity
What was his 6 drop? Elspeth?

Honestly, I would go straight for a mono-W devotion deck if W had any decent card draw options like U. I have an Ephara devotion deck built that uses a W creature core, but it is still only tier 2 because you can't splash that much blue into a deck with 15+ double W spells.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

Looks like the Modern Event Deck is confirmed to be B/W tokens. Only confirmed rares/mythics are Elspeth Knight Errant, Hero of Bladehold, and Honor of the Pure. Image in the link.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/547368-modern-event-deck-contents

Bwwahaha. Bitchin'. Knight Errant and Hero of Bladehold were two of the only rares I've been looking to throw in my EDH deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Korak posted:

Someone on the reddit mtg site posted a ridiculous list that wins with Codex Shredder and it actually is a decent UW deck. What is better than saying you went 4-0 with Codex Shredder beatdown?

I don't know about a reddit list, but the U/W codex shredder list i know is called The Fun Police. And it is seriously the most unfun deck to play against. It is built to continually cycle your deck forcing a time out.
gently caress that deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'll be happy to see mutavault rotate out, I'm tired of seeing it forced into almost every standard deck. The card is good enough that it requires no thought about whether to include it. Still not as bad as thoughtseize though. Playing black at all? Thoughtseize please!

Yeah. That's not really true. Red devotion doesn't run it because everything in the deck is double-R costed and Nykthos is more important. U/W control doesn't run 4 because early game colorless can gently caress it over. The only decks that run the full set really are aggro decks that aren't too color dependent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Since DRS got banned in modern is he possibly going to hold any value after rotation? He went from $15 to $10 after the ban but he's holding decently at that value. Not a bad edh card either I guess.

Yeah. The fact that he stabilized at $10 even after the modern ban should tell you something. He's not going to stay banned forever. He will keep his value more so that pretty much anything else in RtR block (except maybe Abrupt Decay).

On a slightly different note, anyone else notice that Elspeth, Sun's Champion is ticking back up again? She's back to being above $20. I think I heard something about her being the Elspeth of choice for certain modern decks now, since she can nuke the field immediately after dropping, but anyone else have any specific reasons?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So you must have come up with this?

e: but on topic, the first piece of advice I was given before I ever drafted turns out to be one I still come back to: Creatures win drafts. Even the lovely ones. If you're running less than 15 creatures mainboard, you will probably have a bad time -- drafts can't really support fringe pet-decks. In a top-deck situation, you're better off ripping that 1/2 bestow dude than you are pulling a 3rd Fall of the Hammer. It's extra feel-bad if there's no creature on your side to use the hammer with.

Creatures win drafts.

Yeah, don't be afraid to draft the 2 cost 2/2 with no effect if it will help seal up your low drops so you don't go into turns 3 or 4 with nothing on the board. A body is a body.

Regarding the conversation about organizing, I actually organize a set as soon as I get my initial influx of cards (usually 1 box and 1 fat pack). I put 4 of every common and uncommon in the fat pack, ordered by color then mana cost (I guess I'm the only one that doesn't use set number?) and any extra cards go in the box to make screwy decks with or just give away.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Not a huge fan of Agent of the Fates or Sipteful Returned there. You don't have much to target Agent's with and you're a bit light on removal.

He's still a 3 mana 3/2 with Deathtouch. I can't count the number of people who forget the fucker has Deathtouch and just swing giant guys into him.

Cactrot posted:

Is eyegouge just maindecked to deal with Mutavaults? :getin:

You can target Agent with it and not kill him. :black101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but if you're looking for DT you can just play Thrill Kill Assassan and bring down your curve. Anyway if you're worried about blocking with an aggro deck you're already losing. I'd rather have Doom Blades/Hero's Downfalls.

Well, the guy doesn't have haste. It isn't unreasonable for a guy to swing a Polukranos and a Courser of Kruphix into a lone Agent in which you process to Eye Gouge him, then block whoever they don't sac.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

morning wood posted:

It's a pretty interesting matchup. There is still one game left (it's streaming live on SCG Twitch stream).

Bwwahaha. Gain Say against Notion Thief was countered by a top-decked Syncopate for 1. Bwwwahahah.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This loving match....just....this loving match.

What the gently caress, Nelson?!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, Esper control finals at both SCG Open and the GP.

Does this mean Standard is actually has a good metagame? There are like...10 decks that can win depending on what people bring to bear.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm still waiting for Iroas and Keranos to be released (along with the U/R temple). Please let them be good! They're my two favorite color combos!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tharizdun posted:

This might be better suited for the "other CCGs" thread, but Blizzard is making the same trap UDE made. Vs. System was one of the tightest, design-wise, games ever and was designed almost entirely by pro players to reward tight play and deck construction, and minimize variance. The problem was, when you minimize variance of drawing your cards on-curve and eliminate manascrew, the better player always wins, which doesn't really allow the game to grow and include new players, since they literally could not win against better players playing the same decks.

This made for a loving awesome game for pros to durdle with between rounds, and loving awful game for casuals and kitchen-table players.

I know this is getting into derail territory (maybe we should make a VS System legacy thread :v: ), but the game still allowed for quite a bit for kitchen table gamers. Sure, my Avengers/Brotherhood reservist deck would never make top 8 at a tournament, but there was plenty of room to Johnny around. Hell, my pet team was League of Assassins forever, but they never really made a big splash on the big scene, but it was fun to throw out non-unique Ra's al Ghuls in a Crisis deck.

The problem wasn't the mechanics. It was the inability to smooth out the power levels of some cards (Savage Beatdown, Dr. Light, Press the Attack, and Garth specifically).

Edit: Talking about "what about X" reminded me about the DBZ card game and how they took Android 18's scry ability and made it an actual game mechanic for GT because they realized that variation with the game's giant decks were too large a crap shoot.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 26, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nissir posted:

How the hell have I never heard of the VS CCG? I don't think I have even ever seen it in a gaming store, and I have seen unopended Garbage Pail kids cards sitting next to uncracked X-Files stuff in the last week :(

Because you lived in a deprived area. It was great because it was basically UDE going all out on a new game funded by YuGiOh profits. I was pissed when they just let it die. But shortly after, they lost the rights to print YGO, so it probably wasn't going to last long, anyway. The prize structures for the tournaments were absolutely insane.

I still have my two cases of cards including extended art promos for basically everything Mutant set and prior. I even use my Hellboy life wheels to keep track of life during FNM. It's always cool when a random guy shows up and goes ":monocle: Oh poo poo! VS!" Then we :hfive: and lament playing Theros draft together.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Smashing Link posted:

I've heard good things about Xanadu games in Bmore but never been there. You guys?

Xanadu is more well known for hosting monthly fighting game round-ups than wizard poker. I don't know much about the store, itself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boxman posted:

So is this thread 3/4 Baltimore and one or two people in other cities, or what?

NoVA representin' :snoop:

Though, I barely get a chance to do anything but weekend drafts because I get home too late to make it to any of the local constructed tournaments. :smith:

• Locked thread