Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of my dwarves is married at 12 years old, and has a 4 year old daughter, with 4 children total. I really, really hope this is a bug due to me using a short world history, or possibly something wrong with masterwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So I just found out that masterwork now gives ores lovely smelting efficiency unless you refine them first. Guess who outfitted 3 full military squads with full steel plate before finding this out? :smithicide:

Internet Kraken posted:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING :byodood:

Replacement Carpenter manages to die the exact same way as the first one. Only this time there actually way a bridge so she has no excuse. Guess I have to put up some protective walls. This scenic waterfall has turned into a death trap.

I just stopped embarking on waterfalls. Too many dead caravans and too many dumb dwarves.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It seems like the next masterwork race plugin will be a merchantile human race with cannons and an emphasis on building above ground and making shittons of money. I'm more pumped to try that out than the actual DF release that's around the corner.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Vengarr posted:

You can neuter pets and animals in Masterwork. It's so obviously the practical solution to cats that I don't know why Toady hasn't implemented it; it's not like animal trainers have much to do at the moment.

I did not know this, how the hell do you do that?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Flesh Forge posted:

This was a pretty wide variety of animals and invaders, human, dwarven, elven and drow. I don't think ANY creatures died from falling 25z, and I dropped something like a hundred. Some were injured with broken bones and poo poo, ~40% were not injured at all.

e: I mean it's not like you can't easily set up an almost totally deadly entrance with other means, drowning pits, cage traps or whatever, but why falling damage it was funny

Build upright spears in a pit at the bottom and wall it off so that your idiot dwarves don't hurt themselves trying to loot?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Damaging Traps never seem to work very well at all for me in Masterwork.

My best defense has been to make the entrance to my fort be the barracks for my primary military group. It doesn't stop random woodcutters from getting shanked, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is there a way to mod/dfhack water wheels to work with magma? Because I've got a proof of concept megaproject weapon that I just finished, and I want to upgrade from water to magma.

Deki fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 21, 2014

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'd turn off slagworks and most of the harder ______ options. Once you figure out how to use the advanced buildings for whatever race, then it's probably ok to go ahead and turn on more difficulty settings.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Does that make the research buildings available from the start, or does it just remove them?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've clearcut a good fourth of my map and no injuries yet, I must be drat lucky.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
You can ferment fruit :colbert:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Vampires traditionally love counting things, having big fancy titles, and being blood sucking parasites. Bureaucracy is perfect for them!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My dwarves apparently love a chanting performance that involves speaking gibberish while continuously slowing down the tempo. While they are doing this a shrill flute is being played at a steady pace. I have a feeling that it sounds horrifying.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Leal posted:

Has Meph stopped jerking off to Succubi and finally put necromancers in Masterwork?

Last I heard Meph was basically just doing tileset work at this point. It's a shame, because Masterwork is so good, and the knockoff mod that was started over people being butthurt at Meph seems to have died in the crib (turns out large mods are hard).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly an impressive thing about DF is how despite all the knockoffs (many of which have a lot of quality of life improvements), it's still remained popular and unique. It's the sort of thing where like yeah, you can rip off the concept, but you can't rip off the decade of work he's already put into the game, or his willingness to go down a weird rabbit hole purely because it interests him.

One thing I really like about DF is if there's something you want to do in a fortress, you can jump into doing it very quickly.

No research tree or money grind to build most buildings, nearly everything can be made out of unworked rock. Some things are a bit more complex to get going, but you have no arbitrary roadblocks to building whatever you want from the word go.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Six Rages, a game about a 17th level 5e Barbarian

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

. . . Is mermaid bone still valuable for crafting

No, pretty sure that Toady took one look at the Mermaid murder machine and heavily reduced the value of sentient creatures' bones.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mzbundifund posted:

Holy smokes steam workshop support! I didn’t know that was in the plan, that’s awesome.

Congrats to the first person to make a "no aqueducts" mod

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Pharnakes posted:

Interesting to see that fortress mode is actually getting prioritised over adventures, when it's always felt like toady did the opposite.

In a way though, I feel like that gave a lot of the fortress mode it's flavor.

One of the things missing from every competitor is the sheer detail that goes into drat near everything from dwarves to engraving. Even if most of it really doesn't matter that much, looking at a dwarf and seeing family connections and an actual personality listed out beats generic colonist #2344

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So I haven't played since like 2010 or something. How do mine carts work, how do I cope with lycanthropy and vampirism, and what else do I need to be aware of

I just turn both off.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My favorite df story is the Mermaid death camp bone farm that Toady took one look at, said "gently caress this" and immediately set the trade value of sentient beings body parts to the ground.

My favorite fortress I ever did was a massive fortress built into the side of a perfectly flat cliff on a map with a hosed up waterfall. I was using Masterwork DF's Orcs, and built a hellfort that could basically take on the world. 4 Z layers of fortifications covered by 8 archer squads that looked over a ramped approach I carved into my bases's entrance. A bunch of melee squads with legendary skills with heavy layered armor and beastly weapons who lived and trained in my base's entrance that happily took out anything that survived the arrow barrage.

Drawbridges? Traps? Those are for children (though I did use some cage traps eventually to start an invader zoo). That base could handle drat near anything with zero input from me once I set civillians to not go outside and got the training scheduling down. Eventually it ran into a persistent crash and died.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Yeah, that's what I do. Drinks too.

I also like bringing a healthy flock of birds on every embark since eggs are a low effort meal ingredient

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

thunderspanks posted:

prepared meals trade value and underground crop yields outside of caverns (1/4th of previous amount) are the two biggest nerfs I've heard spoken of. Of course now that I'm looking I can't for the life of me find a source for this :rolleyes:

So no more assigning one farmer to a plump helmet patch and having enough food for an entire small fortress?

Dang.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Since someone mentioned farming nerfs earlier upthread, is there a list of changes to the gameplay/balance going into the steam game?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Played a little bit over my lunch break, currently frustrated that a decade+ of muscle memory doesn't work anymore.

I also don't remember Aquifers being this omnipresent.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DaysBefore posted:

I've got a dead baby skeleton in my underground river that the dwarves can't get to without drowning so I guess we just gotta live with the ghost now

You should be able to pacify it with a memorial slab.

Here lies baby. Poor swimmer.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Entire groups can sign to join your fort?

I swear I've only had individuals apply.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Maybe your civ is dead?

I'm at 11 just after the first wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
New labor is confusing me, it looks like randoms will use workbenches unless I assign specific dwarves to them.

Can I not just set a "you must be at least competent to use this" setting on a workstation?

Nosre posted:

whoops, accidentally Cask of Amontillado'd 2 dudes, a kid, and their pet pig while I was building walls to tidy up this soon-to-be bedroom

I found them in time too but my miners all ignored this one-tile job for a few weeks even though I set it to the highest priority :argh:

So now instead of 3 bedrooms, it'll be 3 tombs

the pig lived though

So they just found a well fed pig and a bunch of random teeth then?