Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also wood blocks. You can build SO much more from a tree if you make blocks out of the logs.

Also that’s my favorite bit of head canon, that dwarves have no notion of boards, they just call everything like that a block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The tavern thing is a red herring, just fyi. Current fort I never made more of a meeting area than the OG wagon, and I had dozens of the dudes. Migrants were scarce though, so I accepted almost all of them, and maybe because the only meeting area was the wagon for like three years, they actually spent a TON of time randomly patrolling the caves, it was pretty rad!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I do suspect the tavern distracts them, though. They’d much rather sit around and drink and party instead of the dangerous thing they promised in exchange for citizenship.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought they’d grow no matter what if planted, the season just constrains when that can happen. I could be way off though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, well, note to self I guess. Not that I’d ever care to do anything about it. That amount of collateral damage is probably pretty minimal most of the time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Of course, in very few situations will you actually need *that much* magma.

Dream big

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CuriousSymptoms posted:

I am going to make my first forays, as a fortress novice, into trying to get a waterfall to spray mist into my tavern; how long will it be in game seconds before I flood the entire fort
“I see wet people”

It was flooded the whole time

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My favorite part of this game is just finding weird new places to start forts:

Weird actually-square box canyon surrounded by distinctly round spires, a secret back entrance, and a big ol' magma tube right there. Has a wide variety of metals, including flux and iron. The canyon floor is covered in fruit trees.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 18, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zeruel posted:

can I have this world? this looks great

I have all the settings and the seeds but I can’t get it to regenerate the same. I did save immediately after embarking, though, I can post that if you want, you’d just have to deal with my particular embark loadout. Which isn’t bad imo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is the best part

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Please tell me you have like two weeks to vacate that spot before it melts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Build a roof over his new swimming pool and I think it won’t freeze

Make him the Lady Of The Indoor Swimming Pool. Set the room up as a gathering hall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Similarly to the screenshot question, is there a way to get a much wider area displayed at once by stonesense? I’d like, say, the entire map.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dang, that’s nice. My poo poo’s always a hodge podge. Although that’s often on purpose because otherwise I get completely paralyzed trying to make the most perfectly symmetric and organized masterpiece with zero do-overs. There is no middle ground between those two approaches.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

magma

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is it possible to get goblin caravans? Likelihood aside, I mean is it technically possible, without modding the game.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I dont think transporting dwarves to the afterlife was the intention of that question.

But that's the entire game, what else could there be?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Once adventure mode is back in, I wonder whether one could theoretically settle adjacent sites and carve out a continuous minecart track to set up some kind of adventurer superhighway. Take the train between the local human, dwarf, and elf capital cities to efficiently gather quests and spread word of your deeds! :v:

I imagine it would be far from practical (god, the logistics), but the idea of it is hilarious in theory. Just some big buff adventurer clinging to a mine cart in white-knuckled terror as they scream across the countryside and then slam into a wandering bogeyman, fly off the track, and skip 500 meters across the ground before colliding with a tree and exploding into atoms

Might be easier if we could just do some of the dwarf actions in adventurer mode. Like if my guy could dig or carve tracks into stone or whatever. I never played much adventurer mode before so I don't really know the bounds of the crossover between that and fortress mode.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Virtual Russian posted:

How does that work? Wouldn't you have to channel first? Wouldn't that release the demon?

Nah, it’s a minor glitch. You build the floor, you can see through it from above—and only from above. You haven’t actually “revealed” the tile.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The cure is for them to make a million masterwork items so losing one or one hundred is no big deal.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are they actually moving or is it just flashing between creatures sharing a square?

Time genuinely fully halts on pause.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lead’s good for floors at the bottom of pit traps

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I take it to mean they are 100% identical to dwarves in every physical way except they lack beards. This, of course, absolutely confounds the dwarves.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What’s the alert when your brew job gets canceled?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freakazoid_ posted:

the active forest fire is a nice touch

Uhh, I believe you mean “charcoal production at scale”

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, mystery partially solved. I accidentally selected the hauling job on exactly one guy, so nothing was getting hauled.

Sisyfish

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hihohe posted:

Purring maggots got titties

i dont know what to tell you guys

More like purrfect maggots

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Telsa Cola posted:

I give it 1 hour upon release before someone makes a literal pool of tears.

And a week after that to discover a bug wherein the bad thoughts that generate tears stick with them, and transfer to anyone who comes in contact with those tears, leading to literal Swamps of Sadness filled via Tragedy Engines for the mass extraction of tears with the express purpose of depressing invading armies to death.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Werelephants is the most amazing curse. You are absolutely blessed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brown Moses posted:

I've been playing around with AI image generators to see if they can handle creating images based on DF item descriptions, and how that's changing over time as improved AI image generators are released. Back in April I made images with Midjourney based on various descriptions, which had mixed results. For example here's a fairly complicated ring, as rendered by Midjourney:

It does look like a ring, just not very much like the description in the text.

Bing Image Creator just got an upgrade that has significantly improved its parsing of text to images, and produces much more accurate images:

Bing Image Creator is free to use, so it's now even easier to create images to accompany you're DF stories.

Surely a mod to automatically fetch and display these in game is in the works???

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Griddle of Love posted:

Is this sort of title / image combination common? It's seems too on point to be chalked up to a coincidence.

I am just absolutely in love with feeding these things to AI image generators, thanks to whoever posted that ring a bit back.

I consider it absolutely canon that, due to the vast quantities of alcohol the dwarves constantly imbibe, the weird AI artifacts are how dwarves actually see the world, thus these depictions of their work are entirely accurate and correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hihohe posted:

any one else getting headless dwarven children with a negative age?

Is this too long for a thread title