Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eldiran posted:

So, I don't know if this is a good place for this or not, but this is pretty much the closest to an active Boatmurdered-related, gaming-related thread I can find. So -- I made a game based on Boatmurdered!

It's a top-down horror game set in the aftermath of Boatmurdered. (It's free.)

Download link/more screenshots:
http://radcodex.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/depths-of-boatmurdered/

Please let me know what you guys think.

I'm having fun with this! But the longer I go without seeing an elephant, the more confused and terrified I get :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay yeah if there's a path into your fort and invaders aren't gunning for it something has definitely gone horribly wrong with the pathing.

My recommendation is to introduce magma to the pit.

You guys want to solve everything with magma.

I had an idea for a broiler room. Floor made of steel grates, two reservoirs of magma and water directly beneath separated by a magma-safe floodgate. When the invaders step on the pressure plate, the doors seal and the floodgate opens. :supaburn:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

0lives posted:

As far as I know, steam doesn't hurt people like it used to, now it's just a gentle cleansing. You could put your dwarves in the steam room instead, maybe they'd like it!

A sauna room just doesn't have the same appeal :(

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lareine posted:

I had a siege recently and did pretty well although a poo poo-ton of dwarves got injured. Too bad nobody seems to care and would rather pick up goblin clothes than recover wounded dwarves. They get around to it eventually but to speed things up, I thought I might cause a few cave-ins to knock them out. I make a minor 1-square cave-in but THIS time, it goes horribly wrong and the miner AND the injured dwarf AND her baby all end up with broken spines. WHOOPS.

I wish that was a DFhack option. Knock fools out so that they can be properly hauled to a bed.

Speaking of medical quirks, since when has "Murky Water" been a thing? I thought getting water from a well automatically purified it even if the source was a muddy pool. Apparently it has to be either running water or from a pool two-tiles deep, or you get this nasty crap that gives dwarves bad thoughts and increases the chances of infection if you use it to clean someone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nietzschean posted:

Do it anyway. So what if the individual traps do insignificant damage? Just make more of them! Sure, you might want a few real traps thrown in to ensure they don't actually live through your trap tunnel, or a military squad to kill them if they do, but "not enough damage" is a problem that will resolve itself if you just keep adding the bones of every slain enemy to the arsenal.

Having a lot of bones lying around is something you want to avoid anyway in Masterwork. loving Necromorphs. Doubly annoying because I didn't care for Dead Space, so having that dumb poo poo shoehorned in added insult to injury.

Triply annoying because the way you're "supposed" to solve the problem, Sacrificing a dwarf to Armok along with the Marker, didn't actually work for me due to a bug. So I had to sit there at 1 FPS while 300 of the little bastards came scuttling out of my bonehorde into the waiting arms of my military.

Henceforth, all corpses get a magma bath.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Baudin posted:

Make a staircase to Heaven

Then invade

Think of all the adamantine that must be up there. I bet they pave the roads with it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You can neuter pets and animals in Masterwork. It's so obviously the practical solution to cats that I don't know why Toady hasn't implemented it; it's not like animal trainers have much to do at the moment.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrMelon posted:

The succession is avenging the untimely death of the previous player and/or taking over worldgen sites to make a warlord bandit civilisation composed entirely of adventurers. Then you could upset the civ in fortress mode and try to survive the pummeling of adventurers.

Have people gen adventurers and have them travel to a remote site, without using fast travel, and document the journey.

First seven adventurers who make it there get to be the first seven dwarves/overseers of the first DF2014 succession LP.

So sort of like the Amazing Race, only with dwarves.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rather than having three masons, it's better to have one Mason's workshop that only your best mason can use. This is solely to make quality furniture on demand.

Then you have 5-10 Mason's workshops that your best guy isn't allowed to touch, all set to produce rock blocks on repeat. Any dwarf without a useful profession is sent to the sweatshop. It gets rid off all the loose rock lying around, produces tons of blocks for constructions and megaprojects, helps boost the workers' attributes, and makes it more likely your next artifact will be a useful piece of furniture instead of a wooden scepter.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prop Wash posted:

The other advantage of masterwork iron ammo over weapons is that weapons can't be encrusted with gems, but ammo can!

Wha...? I didn't know that.

So you can't put a gemstone in the pommel of your masterwork longsword, but you can bake that poo poo into arrows that will inevitably be wasted plinking at some Kestrel Man?

I can just see it now. "A thief! Protect the horde from skulking filth! Shoot diamonds and rubies at him until he goes away!"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only part of Dwarf Fortress that feels impossibly obtuse at the moment is the military system. Getting guys equipped, trained, and into a fight is way too difficult, with dozens of dumb little bugs and idiosyncrasies that exist solely to trip you up.

It used to be so easy too. What the hell happened.

Minecarts are similarly obtuse but they're a purely optional thing, I've never had a fort that needed minecarts since I've usually got 100 losers at any time whose only means of self-fulfillment is to haul blocks.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Alehkhs posted:

I do, but I was just about to try and rig up a pumpstack over 100 z-levels high for magma, despite the fact that I haven't even been getting attacked in any fashion that would require better armor. So... :shrug:

Downloading now.

I really hate pump stacks. Just let me build one (1) pump and have the power requirements increase the further down the pipe goes, that way I don't have to rip the loving thing up because I accidentally put one of the pumps backwards or whatever.

I built one massive 100-level pumpstack to prove I could do it, and now every game since then I just spawn my own magma pool because gently caress doing that twice.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Moridin920 posted:

My main hallways are usually 3 tiles wide so what I do is smooth it and just engrave the center tile or the two side tiles and it looks pretty. I agree just engraving everything looks cluttered.

You can hide engravings though. They still look different from unengraved floors but in a good, stylized way.

Engrave Everything™

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Jesus, that looks like something a serial killer scrawled on the wall.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Something Awful Forums > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2015: Dancing All Night

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Subjunctive posted:

If I have two U/D staircases atop each other, and I deconstruct the lower one, can creatures climb down from above? If I put a wall in place, can they move diagonally to adjacent spots?

yes and yes, I believe.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Angry Diplomat posted:

Omi is a hand-to-hand combat style founded by Ari Bellowcrescent in the Belts of Rain. It mainly focuses on the use of rapid palm strikes and also incorporates sweeping acrobatic kicks. It is intended for self-defense. Its traditions are somewhat spiritual in nature, but mostly grounded in practical experience.

The Bathing Hound Advance is a signature technique of Omi. It is a sequence of rapid feints followed by a sidestep and a spectacular whirling kick aimed at the lower body. It is accompanied by a terrifying war cry. It was first demonstrated by Ari Bellowcrescent in the Belts of Rain and is moderately challenging to master.

The Meditation of Mule-Temples is a signature technique of Omi. It is a distraction strike to the front upper teeth followed by an aggressive leap and a bold aerial headbutt aimed at the left fourth toe. It is announced by name when performed. It was first demonstrated by Cog Furnacerounds in the Belts of Rain and is incredibly difficult to master.

Sweet Armok, yes

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hihohe posted:

Replace wrestling with martial arts and we have the best combat system ever.

Crouching goblin. Hidden elephant.

Combine it with the magic system for maximum results. "Through controlled breathing, this combat style inflicts extra damage upon vampires and undead."

It would actually make sense that a fort in a Terrifying biome might develop specialized combat forms to fight undead, the way a fort in the middle of Goblin country might get really good at fighting Goblins. There really is something worth looking at there. Someone page Toady.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Moon Monster posted:

What he really needs to make pipes for is making multi-z level pumps possible.

Please yes. I refuse to make pump stacks over 10 z-levels big anymore. I just dwarfhack up some magma and call it a day.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Moridin920 posted:

Uh my tavern just exploded in violence - near as I can tell a couple humans decided to go nuts and start swinging and shooting bolts. Next thing I know the main floor is soaked in blood and an elf and a goblin poet have been killed (prejudiced humans?). Four more die before my militia can get there and restore order.

It was inevitable.

Looks like for whatever reason right when a kobold was discovered and I got the message, 8-9 humans in my tavern decided to freak out. Oh well blood for the blood god.

Maybe the humans tried to deal with the kobold, but there was some friendly fire that made everything break down?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Oh my god

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheHoosier posted:

There's just... so... much. I don't have a screenshot at the moment but they have vomited everywhere. They're vomiting all over the above ground construction for their new meeting area/tavern. SO MUCH VOMIT

This is Traditional, yes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheHoosier posted:

...... well I do now

You need to master the pumpstack technique if you want magma forges/lava moats/fiery death traps, so the effort wasn't wasted.

TBH though, at this point I just cheat liquids to where they need to go. Pumps are a pain

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Peasant Falling Down
A play in One Act

~fin~

It's art

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
All of the funny books should be in the OP.

e:

Tunicate posted:

Bookdump!

Animal Courtship: My Only Mistake is still my favorite.

And I just noticed it's a copy :lol:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 24, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neurion posted:

On another note, I got sick of dealing with the front porch of my fort being coated in a thick layer of vomit, so I wrote a script that resets everyone's cave adaption counter and queued it up to run once a month with dfhack's 'repeat' command.

Just open up a skylight over your dining hall/tavern and then cover it back up. With glass blocks if you're feeling realistic, with dirt/stone/wood if you don't care. Once sunlight hits a square it will always be marked as "outside". No more cave adaptation.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Addamere posted:

To fool the town sheriff into believing that he killed the ogre that was terrorizing the area, Urist disguises himself as an ogre and then pretends to kill himself. The ruse is so convincing that when Urist asks the sheriff for the reward while still wearing the ogre disguise the sheriff dispatches a new quest to rid the town of an ogre ghost haunting the villagers.

Had to check to make sure that wasn't a real devlog

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Farming was originally a little harder to set up, you had to irrigate with mud and I don't think the UI allowed for automation. There were guides for it even.

Nowadays it's basically impossible to screw up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shibawanko posted:

Someone in my fortress wrote a book called The Dwarf and Other Travesties. The writing is a bit stiff, yet reasonably serious.

e:And now I'm being attacked by a forgotten beast which is a literal gigantic blob of vomit.

I sent in my military to just beat the crap out of it because i thought it might make a fine meal for my fortress, my brave soldiers beat it with only two deaths on our side, but not before it breathed some syndrome causing dust on my army! Now they're all feverish and all of their body parts are swollen up with blood, they're also oozing miasma everywhere. Uh-oh!!

Post that book kemosabe, I am a collector of funny dwarf fortress books

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Alehkhs posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2017: Ha ha ha. So many deaths, so many misunderstandings.

Nice.

Lol at the new version coming out this year though

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

God drat do I love this game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Haifisch posted:

I can't believe my dwarves have an entire god dedicated to russian roulette.

“The Tournament of Diamonds” does sound like some kind of badass fantasy Russian Roullete game with religious significance. Something the plucky underdog hero needs to win to earn the dwarves’ trust.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

It's more common than you might think.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What we really need in the steam version is voice acting.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Someone in the Rimworld thread mentioned accidentally changing the boiling point of blood to the point where dwarves would literally explode when exposed to sunlight. Limbs and beards flying everywhere.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
“They say a demon plots for the kings’ death…”

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Deki posted:

In a way though, I feel like that gave a lot of the fortress mode it's flavor.

One of the things missing from every competitor is the sheer detail that goes into drat near everything from dwarves to engraving. Even if most of it really doesn't matter that much, looking at a dwarf and seeing family connections and an actual personality listed out beats generic colonist #2344

Most competitors can’t survive having DF-style frame rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is holding a Dwarf Fortress launch party