Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just jumping back into this for the first time since the new releases came out. When the caravan came, I got a message like "huh, no dwarven liaison, weird." I don't think it was an access problem since caravan wagons got through. I'm only in the second year of this fortress and there's no one here who seems to be the King in hiding so I don't think we became the Mountainhome.

Could it be a case of the liaison just not making it for some reason, or does this basically mean our civilization collapsed/got conquered? Is there any way for me to check on what is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Watching some streams and the UI looks really nice. Seeing a Dwarf Therapist like work orders menu.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Who are the 7 psychopaths who gave the game a bad review

quote:

I don't like the new control scheme. I paid the money, and I'm happy I did, but I can't recommend it as the authentic DF experience until you guys port over the ASCII graphics and classic mode control scheme. DF is a brilliant game and I don't want it to be debased or watered down with fleeting things like "graphics" or "mouse controls". I don't want tutorial popups or tooltips or thoughtful explanations to make it feel like I'm playing some cute little indie game. This isn't stardew valley

quote:

A blatant plagiary and copy/paste of rimworld with minecraft graphics.
The developers don't even bother to hide this fact and did this with zero shame.
don't buy.

:cawg: these have to be trolls

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gamerofthegame posted:

the bigger thing is that combat is extremely lethal (except when it isn't (still is then tho)) and while you can, in theory, train up to be little dodgy gremlins, the mainway to go is to load up your soldiers with armor. which you won't have for a hot minute. so every threat needs to be considered deadly serious

it also helps to build a death corridor with a shitload of traps, fortifications for your archers to fire through, a room you can close off and dump lava into, etc.

Think dwarfishly and construct to your advantage so you rip the enemy up beforehand and your soldiers are either last resort or just there to finish off the remnants

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, I actually understand squad mechanics for like, the first time ever. The military interface is WAY better. Also the little help topics under ? in the upper left are super useful. There's a lot more up there than the tutorial goes through.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Question about work order automation: If I select the condition "when we have less than x" is it checking how many are in the fortress or how many are available/stockpiled? In other words, if I always want to have four beds available to make into new bedrooms, do I want "amount of beds is less than four" or "amount of beds is less than <four plus however many beds I have installed>"?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

canepazzo posted:

It checks only the stockpiles. Worn items, carried items, installed furniture etc. don't count.

Oh rad. I never messed with automating work orders before but this makes a LOT of things so much easier.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I designated a tavern complete with room for dance floor, a stockpile of booze, a few instruments and goblets, and a couple of rooms for rent. I opened it up to the public. Probably a mistake, I'm sure a vampire or something will come to visit eventually. But it's fun for now. We had a human bard come to visit and my dwarves are loving LOVING IT

Apparently, "Recluses Ever Onward" is a big hit around these parts.

I had other things I meant to do tonight but I figured I'd pop in and see how the new UI plays for a few minutes after dinner and oops it's 5 hours later now

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 7, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Somehow both better and worse than I expected.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh wow, just noticed you can geld your male cats and dogs at the butcher shop if you want to keep that population down.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

QuantaStarFire posted:

Couldn't you dig a reservoir and channel river water into it, then build a well over the reservoir?

Yup, that's what I did. Just make sure you build a floodgate in your channel attached to a lever. Otherwise the river pressure can come up through the well and flood your fortress. So when your reservoir gets full, throw the floodgate lever and you're all set. I actually recommend two floodgates and two levers just in case you get a sneaky enemy creature that likes to throw random levers.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ymgve posted:

How do I see what's being picked up/consumed/produced during brewing? The whole process seems wholly opaque and I have no idea what's being taken and what's being created.

If you go to the labor window and then the kitchen tab and drinks, you can toggle what plants you have that have permission to be used in brewing (so for example, if you want to save plump helmets for food at the start, you can do it there). Similarly under drinks you can toggle whether any of your booze can be used for cooking.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Look I been pretty chill about letting visitors to the tavern take up permanent residence if they want, even if it's a bunch of freeloading poets and dancers and bards who suck up our booze and food and do nothing but hang around the tavern. You're entertaining the workers, it's cool. But this...

No. No thank you. Your giant hippie commune cannot just show up and move in. Get the gently caress out of my mountain.

(edit): they can't believe I said no, they are wandering around the edge of my map being upset and reliving the trauma.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 8, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Deki posted:

Entire groups can sign to join your fort?

I swear I've only had individuals apply.

Me too before this performance troupe showed up.

I think I made my tavern too nice, I already have six bards and poets in residence and someone else is asking to live here every couple minutes.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 8, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay, still trying to get my footing in this game and I have a pretty nice little fort going which is essentially this same pattern repeated across 6+ floors. Anyway, I am lost on hauling.
1) Is there any way I can encourage or prioritize haulers placing all the rock blocks in the top-right stockpile inside the bins in the same stockpile? They keep bringing blocks in and leaving them on the floor, and the stockpile has a ton of empty bins in it.
2) For cleaning up all the boulders everywhere, is my best bet just crafting a bunch of wheelbarrows then sticking my entire fort on exclusively rock hauling for a while? The clutter is really getting to me

I'd like to start creating smaller more specialized stockpiles but I just like, do not understand when/how people haul in this game. If I set my entire fort to do nothing but Haul and specialize them all in Hauling it still seems to barely ever happen. And I have bins/buckets/wheelbarrows/etc :( And I've set up stockpiles to pull from other stockpiles and things like that, it works it's just incredibly slow.

e: Also I had a few heroes join me like 3 years ago that just wanted to slay monsters. I built them all their own bedrooms, and assigned them, but they all refuse to sleep in them and instead they only sleep on the temple floor. The bedroom zone does include the door to enter the bedroom. How can I make them actually use the bedroom?

Also how come I've only got one set of 2 immigrants in 7 years :sweatdrop:

I wouldn't sweat cleaning up random rocks for stockpiling, especially with that low of a population. Your stonecutters/crafters will grab them and use them up eventually. Have a craftsman cranking out stone crafts when you got nothing else going, you can always dump those on the next trade caravan. Once you have more dwarves, you'll have more haulers, especially since kids haul now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The real interesting guests are showing up now

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deep dish peat moss posted:

I guess I went overboard when the thread told me to build bins to help with storage

:cawg:

a statute of a dwarf just drowning in bins

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have no idea if this is true or how you would figure that out

E. Apparently there are translators online and they're right lol

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1600673750281691136?t=5H5DK9LTdCp6zzPbukw3ig&s=19

I'm eternally happy that Boatmurdered is basically my one and only contribution to the internet

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shoehead posted:

Oh is there... no way to get my marksdwarves to carry ammo??

Do they have quivers?

Popete posted:

Do you see dwarves shooting crossbows well training? I have my squad hanging out doing "individual combat drills" in my barracks with targets setup but I can't tell if they are actually shooting their crossbows or not.

Did you designate an archery range, or just the barracks?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Arrath posted:

So, clothes: is there any point to producing new clothing? I know it wears out over time but it's kind of a hassle. I wish I could set a work order for "once a month make 5 full outfits" or something.

I just made work orders for tunic, pants, dress, gloves, hat, socks, shoes that say "if there's less than 2, make 2." I figure that'll be enough to get everyone re-clothed over time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Neurion posted:

Water enters the cistern from a corridor on this level, and at the end of that corridor that goes to the left there's a stairwell that goes up towards the aquifer layers. Note the diagonal bend. This is critical, because water has pressure, and since my water source is ABOVE the hospital, if I did not include this diagonal bend water would come up OUT of the well and flood the hospital and probably the rest of my fort as well. I'm not sure why the fluid simulation does this, but fluids moving through a diagonal have their water pressure "reset," and will not be forced to flow up and out into z-levels higher than the new pressure level.

Oh that corner thing is interesting to learn. I just typically use a couple floodgates but that can have its own issues.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think the Outpost Liaison broke in my game :smith:

She's just been hanging out in my tavern socializing. Never met with my Mayor or got our demands. My Mayor hasn't been busy, he's just been wandering around doing basic chores like hauling.

But there's this:

It seems like the game thinks that this birdwoman is supposed to attend a meeting? Maybe it somehow confused my Mayor with this visitor?

So I thought, okay, maybe I'll fix the game by sending my military out to kill her. I mean, a shame we have to murder the peaceful birdwoman but if she's somehow usurped my ability to communicate with the Liaison, it has to be done. Except:

Birdwoman is hanging out roughly in outer space. I'm going to have to build the Tower of Babel to try and get to her if she is the issue. Meanwhile it's now late Winter and the Liaison is still just chilling in the tavern. She seems happy at least but I can't shake the feeling the Mountainhomes are gonna be pissed she never came home. The trade caravan left months ago.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Something else I figured out today, if you need to get the value of any room up (temple, guildhall, noble's room, whatever) and you don't want to jam a million statutes in there, build a stone pedestal and put it in the room as a "display" under furniture. You can click it after it is placed and decide what to display there. Slap some valuable artifact or masterwork craft on the display and it counts toward the room value. I took my tiny crap guildhall all the way to a Grand Guildhall with one master cut gem.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nessus posted:

Sometimes the liason just hangs out, it's never broken anything for me. I'm glad you didn't do a hit. :stoked:

I hope you're right, because I don't see any easy way to fix the problem right now! Not that we really need the Liaison anymore or the caravans, my fortress is at like 2000 food and 1000 drink for 73 dwarves right now, and we're smelting our own weapons and armor. Past the first cavern, and continuing to dig deeply and greedily. I know nothing ever goes wrong with that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shoehead posted:

Oh holy crap ok I got my Marksdwarves to FINALLY pick up ammo. You need to set them to the default archer uniform and not touch anything else, it's definitely bugged for new uniforms

I have my marksdwarves using ammo under a new uniform so it's not that entirely. But I wonder if it is maybe related to whether you had quivers and ammo at the time you created the uniform or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
do not question how the dwarven cloaca works

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh, I mentioned earlier that I found 4 dwarves really unhappy and it turned out to be 4 horrified kids playing make believe in the corpse stockpile.

It's much darker, it was those 4 dwarven children's mom's corpse. I didn't think to check this at the time.

Which might be why the 4 of them have never risen above the bottom 3 happiness levels since then.

If this release has taught me anything, it's that dwarven kids are really creepy. I also have three or four kids that love playing in the corpse pile. I also have a kid that constantly plays "make believe" on the traction table in the hospital. I don't even want to know what he's up to.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've noticed this change from previous versions, I suspect it's because dwarves mature at 18 now instead of 12 so dwarves that used to come in as adults are now still considered children. Over half my fort was kids at one point.

At least kids do basic chores stuff these days, they used to just take up space.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Has anyone else had an issue with your doctor not doing anything? I have three dwarves injured in a minotaur fight. They got dragged to the hospital beds but they've just been there waiting for diagnosis for like a month. Meanwhile my chief medical officer is just loving around. I even designated another doctor and a dignostician and they aren't doing anything either.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pickled Tink posted:

I do not understand how you are all having problems with woodcutting. I gave my woodcutter actual woodcutting skill at embark, and as a result he topples trees so they fall away from him rather than on top of like your amateurs.

Yeah, I had that problem. You need to open the hospital zone and assign them to the diagnostician, surgeon, etc positions, same as assigning musicians and priests to temples and taverns.

Yeah I did all that, they still didn't seem to care.

nielsm posted:

Also try switching the "worker is specialized" flag on them, to make them do only the specifically assigned jobs and not anything else.

This worked, as soon as I switched their specialization on they ran over to diagnose. Maybe it's just a low priority job (which is kind of funny)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The mighty Cyclops Ida arrives! Finally a battle worthy of my trained military squad...

Oh, right, the cage traps.. Time to build a zoo, I guess.

(edit) actually, I'm gonna stick him in the tavern, he can be our mascot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One thing that really cracks me up is how the giant versions of animals are just their sprites stretched out, they look extra silly

My giant porcupine:

The majestic giant emu:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GruntyThrst posted:

I forget, do dwarves automatically claim bedrooms with no owners?

Yup! Unless you want to put someone in a specific bedroom (like a noble who wants a nice one), you can just designate them as bedrooms and the dwarves will pick their own lodgings.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think it's nice to spoiler stuff for the many, many newbies so that they can make all the usual mistakes on their own.

Definitely agree.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think the Outpost Liaison broke in my game :smith:

She's just been hanging out in my tavern socializing. Never met with my Mayor or got our demands. My Mayor hasn't been busy, he's just been wandering around doing basic chores like hauling.

But there's this:

It seems like the game thinks that this birdwoman is supposed to attend a meeting? Maybe it somehow confused my Mayor with this visitor?

So I thought, okay, maybe I'll fix the game by sending my military out to kill her. I mean, a shame we have to murder the peaceful birdwoman but if she's somehow usurped my ability to communicate with the Liaison, it has to be done. Except:

Birdwoman is hanging out roughly in outer space. I'm going to have to build the Tower of Babel to try and get to her if she is the issue. Meanwhile it's now late Winter and the Liaison is still just chilling in the tavern. She seems happy at least but I can't shake the feeling the Mountainhomes are gonna be pissed she never came home. The trade caravan left months ago.

So this dumb birdwoman I posted about earlier in the thread FINALLY cancelled her "meeting" 2 years later and the liaison immediately left angry and then I got a shitload of petitions from people wanting to join my fortress all at once. So she somehow broke like, all the diplomacy in the game but eventually unfucked herself. I may have to build a giant tower to kill her just for vengeance.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Three of the rooms at my tavern have been rented. I checked by whom and it's three dwarven children who are part of my fortress. I guess they wanted to have their own space.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Flavahbeast posted:

The tavern dudes were probably part of the goblin thief's civilization, I've had a couple big massacres in my tavern when an agent of a neighbor civilization tried to sneak in to grab an artifact and went hostile and some "tavern guests" sided with the thief

Yeah, I had one of my own dwarves steal an artifact from a pedestal and hand it off to some elven jerk. I convicted the dwarf (he got thirty days in chains) and sent my army after the elf. They chopped him down in the dining hall and right at the same time a bunch of tavern guests got splattered by my stonefall traps, which I assume went off the second they turned hostile. Which is a pretty cool visual: "Hey, you leave my friend alo..." **SPLAT**

There was a poor Gorlock bard who got splatted as well, I assume he was just standing in the wrong square at the wrong time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I have the least aggressive Forgotten Beast down in my caverns. Every once in awhile I get a big announcement, pause screen that he's here. And then he, like, eats a crundle and fucks off the edge of the map again. See you again in a couple seasons, big guy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GruntyThrst posted:

Why are children always furious

This is an odd one, but I think some of it may be related to them not all having rooms. Some of the children that migrated in weren't assigned to rooms and never picked their own bedroom. I think maybe because the child age went up, some of them are coming in without parents? I only noticed this after I found some of them were actually renting rooms in my tavern. They seem to sleep in whatever bed they can find so they don't get unhappy sleeping on the floor thoughts, but maybe they also aren't getting happy thoughts from owning stuff. I don't know, I manually assigned the ones that didn't have rooms to bedrooms and it seemed to chill them out some.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Odd, the work order to encrust with gems doesn't have anything about a target"

"oh well it's probably fine"

I guess the nobles get a nest box in their bedroom now

you gotta admit, that's one fuckin awesome nest box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

emdash posted:

Grizzlepages is turning into a bit of a spiral at ~170 pop. First I opened the fungal caves at elevation ~-105 not realizing that this would cause about 40 dwarves to run headlong into danger to do . . . something. Collect webs? Except they all said "store item in stockpile."

The native lizard people were not too pleased and slaughtered about 20-30 unarmed dwarves over the course of a month. Finally my squads arrived and were able to overmatch the lizards--but then a deep pit opened and let out a weregecko. After that I basically wrote off exploring it for the time and decided to do some conquests instead.

After conquering the nearest two goblin settlements, a massive goblin siege arrived and asked to parley, but then began slaughtering people outside my fort, so they had to be dealt with. I lost eight or so dwarves but successfully fended off the siege. However, now there are 60 residents in the unhappy range of emotions, and my FPS is grinding down to 20. I'm trying to atom smash enough to recover it, but it is taking a long time. I might just have to start another embarkation

It was probably collect webs, yes. Automatically collect webs is on by default in standing orders.