Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

ynohtna posted:

Off the top of my head, the BC1 eats -9V on the tip of the stereo plug, and returns it voltage divided on the ring.

I'll dig the CS-01/BC1's service manual schematics off a different laptop later if you want.

Edit: and on such subjects, don't forget, all you Ensoniq DP4 owners, that it's expression pedal input also accepts CVs.

So does this mean I'm safe to use a Eurorack LFO to modulate the BC1 jack on my DX7? Eurorack is +-5v standard, I can probably offset/gain to get a -9v-0 range- being able to sync DX7 modulation with the modular would be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Not a synth question per se, but I've been sampling out all of the sounds from my Roland MC-909 into Ableton. My goal is to output each individual patch and drum hit to its own .wav.

Right now all of the patches are recorded into 4-5 clips of 128 waveforms each. I know I can use Ableton's slice options to cut each patch to a sample on a Drum Rack, but I'm looking for a way to easily cut out each individual sample and save it separately. The samples themselves have about a bar of silence between them, it would be very easy for software to detect the beginning and end of each sound. I'm basically looking for an equivalent to the MPC auto-chop feature but on my Mac. Any suggestions for a way to do this in Ableton/Logic/Audacity or can someone recommend other software?

I'm just starting to get into this too, sampling hardware drum machines through my Mirage and then recording it into Ableton and using the "Slice to MIDI" option. I've done the manual work of trimming ~70 individual samples already, but is there an easy way to output the Sampler template to individual .wav files?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

I started writing a blog post about this several months ago when I had gotten as streamlined a workflow as I could manage to figure out using Live and Sampler, but I kept running into this problem where the attack of some samples would end up at the tail end of samples before them, and the whole process of fixing things was incredibly fiddly.

Here's what I wrote before I gave up that path in favor of SampleRobot: Batch Sampling Drum Kits with Ableton Live

The stuff I was going to describe where it trails off at the end was writing SoX scripts to do a number of things. Took me days to figure that poo poo out.

This is much easier than the route I used- I bet you could fix the start time problem by shifting the whole track slightly before slicing. How tolerant is SampleRobot for noisy sources? The VCA and AD/DA section on the Mirage all have a really high noise floor.

A Winner is Jew posted:

$600 would get you a used VA synth of which I would recommend an ESQ-1, Ion, or Blofeld if you get lucky.

The ESQ-1 is a digital/analog hybrid, not VA, and a mint example should be ~$300. You can still find beaters for $150, and they are fantastic synths- just watch out for leaky caps in the power supply, mine is currently awaiting a full recap.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

Does anybody rock an oscilloscope in the modular setup? I've got a sleepers module on that will do this via my DAW but thats not super fun right?

I initially got my O'Tool to help calibrate DIY modules, but it has been the #1 most useful module in my system. If I were in the market right now, I would wait for the updated version (I think they are all out of stock anyway until then), but the original is fantastic. A great example of "everything you need, nothing you don't" design philosophy, I don't know how I lived without it.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Rhythmic Robot just posted a really nice tutorial on getting vintage synth tone. Someone try it out and let us know how it goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_N3A5gVhQ

Pshh, real vintage tone starts with a DX7 MK I. You can do all that and more but the Brown Beast will never die! (Any idea what 80s studio might have owned and abused this back in the day? It has very faded stencils on the bottom and engravings everywhere for "LA DN SIC 00182XXXX")

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Extortionist posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on euro VCFs?

As said, it's a matter of taste, but for your first VCF I think it's worth looking used and picking something that will give you as many ins/outs/CVs as possible. I got a used Blue Lantern Asteroid Operator VCF which has 3 low pass+4 band pass+1 high pass outs, 3 types of FM, VC resonance, 2 suboscillators, 3 different filter architectures and a (fairly limited) VCA on the side, all for about the same price as a new uVCF.

That said, the Sara looks like a pretty great start too. 2 filters gives you a lot more to play with than 1.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
re: sampler and general Ensoniq chat-

I have a Mirage that suddenly stopped turning on one day. No error message or anything, just dead. I tried replacing the fuse but never got further than that. I always thought the disk drive would be what killed it and thought about putting an SD card mod in, but never got that far before it died.

I also have an ESQ-1 that slowly died on me- started throwing garbled messages on the screen occasionally and progressed to showing a quick green flash on the VFD when you turn it on and nothing else, no sound.

Any ideas on either of these? The build quality of old Ensoniq gear was clearly not excellent but both of them sounded beautiful in their own way and the ESQ-1 is actually very easy to program (as is the Mirage... after months of using it every day and making a hex code cheat sheet).

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

MrSargent posted:

The licensing fee is determined by the popularity of the song. Category A is the most expensive at $2500, Category B is $500, and Category C is $50. The vast majority of the songs available on the website are Category C. In addition to the licensing fee, there is also Revenue Sharing, or Royalty information. The percentage is dependent on the Category and the length of the sample. The table below breaks this down.

[timg]https://i.imgur.comG2MW8Fg.png[/timg]

Thanks for posting this- looks like an interesting idea, although I'm curious how much of that revenue gets back to the original artists or their families. What happens if you sample 3 category A songs, or 4 category B songs etc? It seems like there's no way to use this to make a sample heavy record in the vein of Endtroducing or Since I Left You.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I have no idea how much goes back to the original artists, but that is entirely dependent on who owns the rights and the deal the artist has with the owner (if they don't own the rights). I don't think Tracklib controls that at all. If you sample 3 Category A songs, then yah it would be like $7500 dollars just for that one song. But keep in mind that 99%+ of the tracks in their library are Category C, so only $50 to clear.

It would cost some money, but I think you could definitely do something like Endtroducing using all Category C tracks.

Right, but what happens when the revenue sharing/royalties add up to more than 100%- e.g. making a song using at least 11 3-second samples from Category C?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
The difference between nearfield monitors at chest height vs. ear height is much bigger than you might think, and literally everyone has used books to get there at one point or another. Everything else is personal preference, but get some books under those speakers and get them pointed straight at your ears for the sweet spot.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just got a mannequins three sisters filter and oh boy it's really a pity the Shared system doesn't include a nice versatile filter when you get it. The LPG are OK but they get quite limiting quickly.

This now changes everything:

http://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/sisters

Hey nice job, this rules. I get the idea of 'west coast synthesis' but you're right, having a nice filter available opens up a lot more options. What are you doing to get that cool tearing sound at ~1:04?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The bad news is a sequencer/controller with gate outputs is what I wanted the most to pair with the Harmonic Oscillator (also I already sold my Pressure points)

The good news is this is stand alone like the 0 coast.

There's no way I'm not pre-ordering this

It's pretty cool but honestly it's not that big of a progression from Brains + 2x Pressure Points. It has a clock built in which is the most annoying weak point with Brains, and the Time row is interesting, but I'm curious if that then becomes quantized to the nearest 8th/16th note if you use an external clock? The variable strength gate is interesting but they said in the video that there's not much stuff out there that uses one (and you could just do the same thing with a VCA and a channel on Pressure Points).

It definitely has more features rolled in, but ultimately seems less flexible than the old version since I don't think you're free to patch the time/strength channels out to whatever other mod source you want :shrug:

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

excellent bird guy posted:

I almost took a contract in Fort Wayne. I'll be sure to check out Sweetwater sometime if I'm ever in that part of the country.

I'm thinking about doing all the mods to my DX7 myself, even though I've never soldered anything in my life.
Playing along with some SNES soundtracks I like, I notice the pitch is just a wee bit off. I figure it's a battery thing.

What mods are you looking at? Grey Matter E! is probably not worth your time in 2020, just enjoy the synth for the limitations it has.

If your pitch is off, use the Master Tune (Function -> 1) to adjust it- I've never seen one that drifted outside of the +/- 1 semitone of adjustment that gives you.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Carmant posted:

I bought a full sized midi keyboard and it arrived like this:

Would this be something that I could fix DIY or is sending it back the only option? The keys are semi-weighted if that matters. If I can't fix it myself I'll probably just straight up return it. The keybed doesn't feel as great as I'd hoped anyway.

Most likely there's a lead weight on the back half of the key (under the pads/black plastic) that has come unglued and fallen off in transit. It could also be a broken plastic piece in the key action. Either way, not worth taking it apart to fix it and you'd probably void the warranty doing so, just send it back.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

How does everybody compress and/or sidechain in euro? WMD MSCL looks like the best module for this (and in stereo) but its $250 which seems to be a lot for something with one application. Are pedals or outboard boxes better for this?

You know you've gone way too far down the euro hole when you're looking for compressor modules.

If you have a decent amount of utility, start by patching your own compressor- sidechaining (feed forward) and feedback designs are fairly easy to patch up with a VCA and an envelope or a LPG. Stereo is obviously going to double everything but I think most people are patching euro in mono and then any stereo width comes from effects after the signal chain.
If you find yourself patching anything from scratch every single time, that's when I would consider buying a dedicated module. Until then, why not use what you have?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
The Akai S612 is real nice too for a dirt simple one shot sampler- you get the 12 bit grit and also front panel sliders for start and end of sample/loop. All samplers should have this!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
i spent way too long on this lol

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

brand engager posted:

What voltage is a synth supposed to output through an expression pedal jack? I'm seeing 15 volts on this dx7's volume and expression pedal jacks, and 5 volts on the sustain and portamento pedal jacks. I definitely killed this boss ev-30 I was trying to use with it, it's got the burnt electronics smell.

Edit: pedal still shows the whole range when I use it with my midi controller, think it's ok

I always used a cheapo M-Audio expression pedal with my DX7 and never had any problems, no idea what the voltage is supposed to be but they're a totally passive circuit so it should be fine. 5V does sound more standard than 15, and it's weird that the portamento jack is different from the volume and expression jacks since they are all continuous value inputs (vs an on/off switch for sustain).

The dedicated portamento expression input is great though, I don't know of any other synths that have one but you can do "inverted" portamento with an expression pedal and change it on the fly while you're playing to get some real funky sounds.

Edit: also if I remember right, the sustain pedal on the DX7 is opposite polarity from most modern synths- most will have a polarity switch underneath the pedal.

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 3, 2021

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

brand engager posted:

Figured out why the dx7 roasted that exp pedal, they don't use the normal pinout.
Normal:
Sleeve - ground
Ring - whatever reference voltage
Tip - return path from wiper, current limited

DX7:
Sleeve - ground
Ring - return path from wiper, limited to 1.5mA
Tip - 15 volts, limited at 400 - 500 mA

Using something with the normal pinout will run about 6 watts through the potentiometer when the pedal is in the heel position.

Where did you find those specs? I'm not surprised that the ring and tip are switched (see also: sustain pedal) but I've also used a regular expression pedal with no problems in the past (and mine was an ancient early Mk1 DX7). It's possible that the M-Audio pedal I had just didn't care about seeing that much current, and my very limited electrical knowledge would make me think that switching polarity on a potentiometer doesn't really matter.

But 15V still sounds like something is wrong with yours IMO. If those values are correct, why would the portamento expression input have a different voltage range?

Edit: ok, I looked at the circuit diagram here: https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/d.j.benson/pages/dx7/manuals/dx7-circuit.pdf
I think you're right! The portamento and sustain are on the same 5V circuit for some reason and the volume/expression are running 15V :wtf:
FWIW, this is the M-Audio pedal that worked for me- https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalExp--m-audio-ex-p-expression-pedal

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 5, 2021

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Is there such a thing a pair of passive speakers that doesn’t suck? I want a little pair of speakers for when I’ve got the MPC 1K out with me away from the “music desk”.

I bought a JBL pill 4 bt speaker with 3.5 input and it’s got really good sound but it has this really weird thing where it’ll try to auto-modulate volume or something, so if I’m not constantly feeding audio through it, it (and I’m sure this is wrong but I don’t know what else to call it) goes to sleep and then when I hit a pad on the MPC the sound is super quiet before it hits normal volume again. This happens if it’s quiet for more than like five seconds so it’s super duper annoying.

I want a pair of passive speakers so I don’t need to plug in power, and I realize it’s super weird to complain about plugging in speakers when I already have to plug the 1K into mains, but I ordered the battery pack power supply unit so the 1K will soon be mobile :cool: and I’ll be making beats in exotic new locations other rooms in the house because winter and covid.

E: Sorry I just realized this is not at all synth related at all, I’ll maybe go post this in IYG but I guess I’ll leave it here in case anyone has suggestions but if it derails I’ll delete.

What you have is a battery powered active speaker (with a bunch of extra circuitry for Bluetooth, EQ profiles and what sounds like an auto-off function for the 3.5mm in). A passive speaker is just a speaker, no batteries- you need an amp to drive one, so they wouldn't work with your MPC. You want a battery powered speaker that is as simple as possible- looking around online people recommend Minirigs a lot?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Rolo posted:

Speaking of long rear end preorders, have the 404MK2 made it to people yet?

I just got mine, ended up buying it on eBay from a seller in Japan since the supply chain here is boned.

Still wrapping my head around the workflow and limitations- there's a few different ways you can go about building up a song but they all push you toward resampling and committing to decisions on a track in ways that aren't easy to reverse, which is fun but occasionally frustrating. Chopping loops and one shots is really quick and easy. USB C sampling from a phone or tablet is stupid simple and a gamechanger these days when I have my entire music library on my phone.

The built in effects are SO GOOD. You can sample anything and turn it into something that sounds good after resampling with effects a couple times, and there's not any obvious signal degradation with resampling so you don't have to go lo-fi if you don't want to. But, if you're in the market for an SP then you probably do want to go lo-fi, and the cassette sim and 303 vinyl sim are both really solid.

Overall incredibly fun to play as an instrument and I love that I can sit outside or on the couch with a power bank.

Couple annoying design decisions and bugs that I'm still running into which hopefully will be fixed-
-"Pattern memory full" bug that deletes the pattern you're on. Rare but very annoying.
-Sample envelopes are very limited- would kill for a real ADSR.
-When loading samples from the SD card it will stay in the same folder to load multiple pads... but if you change the sample on a pad, it goes all the way back to the root folder and makes you navigate back.
-Some shortcuts are left off the printed labels and/or undocumented in weird ways eg: Shift+Reverse+<Pad x> mutes that pad, which isn't even in the manual that I can find, let alone on the panel for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Definitely make the Rez patch at least once if you have a 2600! https://youtu.be/0zHJXHkjBRU