Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Wow, new thread moving fast! Great OP, but I will still recommend the classic MicroKorg to people :colbert:

I'm currently making a video series for modular synth beginners by the way, in which I try to explain the very basics of (mostly Eurorack) modulars. There are ten videos already. Maybe it's useful to some people: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_al-r_90xYiuiz-3N8HZyf_

ejstheman posted:

Wanted to import this to the new thread both for exposure and to reply to it.  I think it's worth finding another way to do whatever the hell BEAMZ actually does, like writing a script for a theremin-style MIDI controller or something, just to spite the "Music is so easy anybody can do it!  Give us your money and suddenly become awesome!" marketing bullshit.
It's a tricky situation for innovative or unusual music gear. I have the feeling that the old and/or more advanced synth users are very conservative and thus don't like changing workflows too much. So they won't even give your new thing a try, because it looks so different. And the new "musicians" want something cheap, easy to use but also something that has proven itself in one way or the other. So I understand if new manufacturers push the "become Jay-Z in half an hour" line. I don't know if this actually works for the Beamz, because it's just so over the top in every way. But I'd assume that marketing it as a professional niche product wouldn''t make it sell better either.

Edit:

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I need drums. I know it. Problem is, I really need a drum machine/sequencer to program them, my brain is too dumb to make use of drum sounds on a keyboard, especially since I don't have a recording device atm and trying to just use the sequencer + lfo on the microbrute isn't cutting it.

Have you checked out the Korg ER-1 or EMX/ESX. They are cheap, really easy to use and sound very good in my opinion. Waiting for the rhythm wolf is a good idea as well though. Of course you could also get an MPC and load it with samples and add a Volca, MFB 522 or 533 or a Vermona DRM-1 ;)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm writing up a relatively large post later tonight for the second post place on major synth manufacturers and some of the offsite resources like Muffwiggler and Gearslutz (:vomit:). I'm also going to mention the Facebook group for anyone who starts posting here regularly, but thinking about that gave me an idea would anyone have an interest in doing kind of a synth nerd night sometime on something like skype? The ability to route audio at a whim from our audio out to the skype line could mean we could mainly chat without having to hear what everyone is working on all at once unless they had a specific question, and it could be a good motivator for some of us who get dangerously close to that gearslutz hoard-gear-never-produce line (:buddy:).

Even with those of you in Europe we could probably make this work at a time for all of us, assuming those of us in the far west wanted to be up around noon for it.

That's a good idea. Isn't there some kind of IRC-like audio/video chat platform that we could get a permanently running room on? Like this we wouldn't need to do the whole connection thing with Skype every time.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

net work error posted:

I think what you're aiming for is two parts, IRC to chat and a shoutcast/icecast server to stream audio to/from? Anyone have a spare server to setup shoutcast/icecast? We can use synirc for the channel seeing as how most goon chats go there.

e: Those of you with Bank of America credit cards should check your deals, they have a 10% cash back or something like that for Monoprice if you need to re-up cables.

Hm, I think that spltting it up makes it too complicated. I also like the idea to talk to people, even when it's not constant, but when you're kind of "sitting together" while doing your thing. You can just mute your mic if you don't want to talk or send audio and have the others chatting in the background.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Did someone say GUITAR PEDALS?! I let mine play alone tonight. The synths needed a break. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhLcxiaZzk

Edit: I find the Earthquaker Devices pedals really cool. I'm still regretting that I sold my Rainbow Machine and I really want a Bit Commander and Arpanoid.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Avalanche posted:

What would be a better beginner synth option assuming money (no more than $600) isn't really an issue? The Korg MS20 Mini, or the Arturia Minibrute?

I'm looking for something that I can use independently from a DAW if I want to, but something I can also plug into a DAW with no problem. I want to take music lessons again to build up my theory, but I want a fun instrument that doesn't necessarily require a laptop and a fuckton of wires and other stuff to get working.

I'm guessing the mini? Is there any other beginner synth out there someone could recommend?

How about a used Nord Rack 2X with a MIDI Keyboard (if you don't have one already)? It's polyphonic and multi-timbral (i.e. you can play different sounds independently at once), easy to program and sounds really good.

This is a demo of the Nord Lead 2X, which is the same as the rack but with a built-in keyboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHr1-wwgW_Y

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Nice! Synthtopia is usually quite good starting point to get featured on other sites as well, because everybody looks there and actually sees & comments your stuff.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it really doesn't work out for you, you can use the software to make the stick not transmit modulation ccs at all and buy a midi pedal for that.

Or you could set up one of the several faders/knobs on the A800Pro to send modulation CCs.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

renderful posted:

Think about the frequency range you're trying to occupy with said synth and modify/design the patch accordingly. Use a spectrum analyzer if you need to visualize. Keep this in mind as you're adding elements.

I think this is the key thing to look out for, not only when creating a patch, but also when playing your patches. When designing a sound you often just hear it alone and thus add more and more things to make it interesting on its own. When you play three of those sounds together later on, they will probably clash. Also it helps to spread your notes over several octaves. For example: Bass plays on the lowest octave, pads one octave higher, leads another one higher.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.

The MicroBrute is a great addition to a modular synth (hint hint). I wouldn't have bought it just for stand-alone use. What's your budget? I would get something polyphonic for pads, e.g. MicroKorg, Blofeld, Ultranova, etc. Or if your budget is higher, maybe a polyphonic Dave Smith synth.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Bolange posted:

In theory I could just use my ditto pedal but I'd like to have the ability to solo/mute some loops as well as getting getting several loops in and then revisiting the earlier bass loop to make changes, etc...

If you have an iPad, you could get a cheap USB audio interface and the Loopy HD app. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like it would do those things.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Do I need to change the settings through the PC interface or something?

Yes, you can change the behavior of the sequencer and some other things through the software only :-/

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

net work error posted:

Synth thread would you eat a synth?

Good thing they chose to eat an analog synth! VAs just don't taste like the real thing.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Could I have my hardware thread back, please? :colbert:

I'm currently planning to build a suitcase-sized music setup, with 6U of Eurorack, a Korg Volca Beats and an Arturia MicroBrute. It's probably going to be a MIDI-free zone, which feels exciting after having MIDI as a core part of my system for so long. I might add a CVpal module though, to convert MIDI sequences from my iPad to CV ... so almost MIDI free, if this works well.

I also built an Ericasynth Polivoks VCF and a Razmasynth Super Warp Generator DIY kit, which should be fun to play with. Here's a picture:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Bolange posted:

Since we're talking hardware integration, I'm hoping you guys can recommend a specific piece of hardware. I have a desktop synth module w/ midi in, a digital piano that has midi/in out which I plan to use as a master keyboard, a minibrute which I want to use a sometimes controller and a soundcard that has a single pair of midi in/out connections. I may eventually want to hook up another 2-3 pieces of midi gear in the future (a shurthi example). As far as hooking it all up, it seems that what I'd want is a box I can plug all the midi leads into and just dump midi commands into that box and have it route everything to the right channel (preferably w/o it requiring a computer to be on/attached). Since different midi gear can occupy different channels this seems reasonable. I have no idea what you'd call it though (midi multiplexer?).

Is this, in fact, what I want or is there a better way to hook it all up? If this is the right approach can you recommend a specific product?

A MIDI-Thru box will multiply a signal from one cable to 2, 4 or more cables. So you could have your master sequencer's MIDI out connected to the thru box, which would then copy the signal to more outputs. Like this you don't have to daisy-chain gear. Or you could use a MIDI Patch Bay which usually has eight ins and eight outs, which you can route on the fly, if you have more than one sequencer.

If you want, go ahead and watch the first two videos of this playlist, in which I explain two of my setups. The first video is about a hardware & software setup with Ableton Love and the second video is just a hardware setup.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_bMlncCAFzYUzEpHrmDDLWB

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

I see a potential problem here. Your Turing Machine is not fully expanded.
I really like the Pulses, but I never felt the need for the Voltages expansion. Maybe I have to look into that one again some more.

Bolange posted:

Those two videos were helpful, thanks. Looks like what I want is the whitebox you show in the first video. All the ones I've found tend to be 1-to-4 or 4-to-1 multiplexers when I want a 4-to-4 or similar. I'll keep hunting.

The white box is an ESI M4U XL USB interface, which needs a computer and software (like Ableton) to run. In my second video, the Roland A-880 MIDI Patchbay works without a computer.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

breaks posted:

The Expert Sleepers stuff is the way to go. If you already have an interface that can put out DC you only need the Silent Way plugins. If you don't they make a few modules that hook up by SPDIF or ADAT.

Definitely avoid MIDI if you don't mind using the computer, putting voltages out as audio is much more accurate.

That's what people keep saying, but I've never had any issues with MIDI-CV interfaces (I own a Doepfer Dark Link and Vermona qMi). On the other hand, I had people tell me that ES is complicated to use and their plugins are too. It sounds like a great concept though, but in my opinion MIDI plays perfectly fine with a modular for clocks, gates and notes too. If you want smooth parameter automation I can see that you might encounter some stepping at some point, but yeah ... I've never had an issue.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Can we talk IKEA studio hacks for a minute?

I'd like to do something to help manage the cables that will inevitably be exploding out the back of these shelves but I'm wondering what other mods I could approach with this project. Anyone else used the Rast before?

If I remember correctly, the "Lack" series of couch tables, etc. is perfect for 19" rack gear. You can just drill screws into the thick wooden legs/sides.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10198411/

Concerning cables: get a soldering iron and make your own cables with the proper lengths. Having cables spill out of the rack makes things really cumbersome to use and troubleshoot and might also put too much strain on the plugs.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's not really synth related, but I like all of you and I sold a synth to buy it soooo... after four and a half years of thinking about it and a bunch of time on waitlists I finally got a handpan. Super loving excited.

Also, selling off most of my hardware and buying a mixer was probably a really good idea, I'm actually sitting down and doing stuff. I can't believe how much routing everything through one set of ins has sped up my workflow.

How did you work before? Multi-channel computer audio interface?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I kickstarted the dumb (awesome) tuna knobs thing. The capacitive knobs for iPads. Gonna be awesome.

I've backed some dumb stuff on Kickstarter as well and I'm all for weird new/unneccessary technology... but those knobs ... no way! Before I carry a pouch full of extremely expensive suction cups, I'll just throw a small USB MIDI controller wirh real knobs in my backpack. :haw:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Oh, that was you on /r/modular. I knew that name was familiar. Welcome to the modular :bandwagon:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Micro Brutes :downs:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Sizone posted:

Got one of them Target sale iPad minis. What audio/midi interface do I want? Please don't make me go to the ios thread.

I've got the Behringer UCA202 audio interface, which is powered by the iPad (you need the USB adapter) and very portable. For MIDI I just use a cheap USB-MIDI cable. If you want to do "bigger things", here's a list of other audio interfaces: http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

ynohtna posted:

Feh, I've got nothing left to prove when it comes to making tracks with just an RM1x: https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/sets/rm1x-joints

Wow! Loooving Dependency Impressions! poo poo, I think I want to try out a RM1x too ... how does it compare to an Electribe EMX though?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Sizone posted:

Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song. You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.
I will be posting a series of short, quasi-informative articles about understanding the ins, outs, nooks and crannies of Rm1x usage during the next few weeks to assist you (conversion to battery power not included).

Challenge accepted! That Music Sequencer is surprisingly fun. Here is it drowning in Crystalline reverb:
https://soundcloud.com/flixxx/mobile-music-sequencer

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Keep your kick channel at about -12 or -10 dB and mix to about -8 or -6 overall. Leave your master at 0 dB.

I'd really love a "basic mixing for dummies" post! I know about band-passing stuff, compression, etc. but I'd like to know how to use these things properly. Same with mastering strategies. I know what the things do, but I'm never sure if I use them in a way that will make my stuff sound okay on all kinds of speakers.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

wayfinder posted:

The 5-minute basics are:

Regarding songs and jams and so on, here is my latest creation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYcTpuxou8&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

Oh hey your post on the synths subreddit inspired me to get off my butt and try something that wasn't sampled into the computer or an aimless noise noodle with my rack.

http://youtu.be/u0NAVUhnDsE

Got any tips for live sequencing? Doing things live is very stressful.

Nice track! :) If you have Ableton and a MIDI-CV/Expert Sleepers module with a few channels then sequencing should be quite easy with a Launchpad or Push. Just record some sequences into the grid and launch them. For sequencing inside the modular, I like the Turing Machine and uScale combination. The TM gives me random CV sequences which I can lock, loop and evolve easily, and the uScale lets me nudge those notes into my current scale on the fly. Add a MicroBrute with its own CV sequencer with 8 storable patterns (which you can switch between by turning a knob - even quantized) and the iPad plus a CVpal ... and you got a stew going :D Oh, and manual switches are cool too, to mute stuff quickly!

I think if you have three sequencers (or channels/tracks), which don't even have to be complex, you can potentially make some really intricate stuff.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Scatterfold posted:

i really want a t-shirt with NEW YORK SCHOOL OF SYNTHESIS on it

No, you don't. I have one and it's basically see-through. I wish he sold the print on better shirts.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

For me, Synthember is every week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tYa7xYAFoM&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D&index=1

... and from now on there will be even more going on visually too!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I did a synth repair myself you guys. :woop:

plugging you dead OP-1 into a wall charger != synth repair

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

Surprised more people here don't just design and build their own modular cases from scratch. It's really only a few pieces of metal you need per row, and this guys prices are great:

http://erthenvar.com/store/casehardware

That's how I built Robot Fart Box (http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M) which cost about $200 total and although it's not perfect, it is exactly the size and shape I want it to be. I mean modular synthesis is all about building your own synth piece by piece, right?

I mean, if I could do that for 200 bones with little to no design experience, I can imagine what some experienced goons could come up with.

Totally! I have no idea about woodworking, hell I don't even own a saw, and I've built two cases already. Wood and other materials are really cheap, and there are some good places for ready-made rails and power supplies. Here is my extensive build documentation of the case Dotcom Jillionaire linked to earlier. Lots of pictures!

magiccarpet posted:

This is all super helpful thanks dudes. I've got most of my outboard gear loaded into a standard gear rack that's portable... Can anyone recommend a eurorack I can toss in there?
Just get rails and rack ears and you're set. Something like this, although he's in Germany, but you'll probably find the parts on Erthenvar's site too. There is also the Doepfer A-100G6, which has power included: http://www.doepfer.de/a100_cases_e.htm

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 4, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Oh, it's OSCtober already?! Here's some synth music! This week I'm covering a classic video game music track on my modular and volca beats:

:ironicat: :nyan: :laugh: :megaman: :mario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYGszAdB5Q&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hey guys, I'm really hesitant to call these sounds "robot" farts. They sound so real that my mind actually tries to trick my nose into smelling something that isn't there. Also, OSCtober (can't have enough of that): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qxM0HYh9I&list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_YEdhavu8VpmGzBi4JKQsaZ&index=1

Anae posted:

This is loving excellent.

Thank you. Hope you like the new video too :haw:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 9, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hopefully because of fartful enjoyment.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

renderful posted:

Nice farts. They remind me of the fartiest song I know. I heard this in an interesting state of mind and could not stop laughing.

https://soundcloud.com/adeodat-warfield/deborah

More like Adeodat Fartfield just jealous of his 5k+ plays

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

AxeBreaker posted:

-Polyphony/Paraphony
-More oscillator waveforms than a Volca (3+)
-Multimode filter a big plus
-Digital controls & patch memory
- < $1500

Any other suggestions?

Let me tell you about another little synth from Korg ...

Or what about a used Prophet 08 rack? I also loved the Nord Rack/Lead 2X and I think you'll even get the newer versions for less than $1500. There is actually quite a lot out there. The Tetra however always seemed impossible to control without a computer.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

How is everyone sequencing their modular? I figured I'd just drive it with Ableton but I'm starting to dig the HexInverter and that new Audio Damage gear.

I'm in so much trouble.

I also use a Turing Machine through a quantizer (uScale), as well as the MicroBrute's sequencer and an iPad with Little MIDI Machine and Das Lauflicht via the CVpal module. For triggers/gates I use a Stoicheia and uStep and of course the Pulses Turing Machine expansion.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

It's still OSCtober, right? I covered another video game track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vqdge2ofzw&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

I really like your Tuesday Night Machines channel.

magiccarpet posted:

Does anybody rock an oscilloscope in the modular setup? I've got a sleepers module on that will do this via my DAW but thats not super fun right?
They always seemed so small and rather expensive to me. Also, they take space inside the rack :D so I just got a cheap old one from local classifieds. No idea how precise it is, but it's good enough to check my DIY projects and for a light show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Radiapathy posted:

Did you know your No Input Mixer Tutorial was one of the topics on this week's Sonic Talk?

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/10/30/podcast-sonic-talk-380-noodling-gives-you-wings/

Yeah! That was quite a surprise :)

Hahaha! This is amazing! Great that it's in Euro format now.