Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hakkesshu posted:

Hey dudes, embargo's up. Definitely doesn't seem like they added in the old lighting system, but it sure does look nice running at 60 FPS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dark-souls-ii-pc/2300-8726/

Can't say I'm surprised. The gutting of the lighting system felt deliberate, they didn't like what it did to gameplay and axed it because gameplay is ultimately the most important thing in Dark Souls. Or at least that's my guess. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's funny looking back at the predictions of Dark Souls 2 being some kind of ultra PvP thunder dome, what with the lifting of the requirement of being human to be invaded.

Plenty of us guessed it wouldn't be anywhere near that, but I couldn't have ever guessed it would have been a borderline INVASION FREE ZONE.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Darox posted:

Red phantoms are pretty sparse, but spend any amount of time in a belltower and you will be flooded with invasions.

If you really want to do a ton of PvP, drop a white summon at the entrance to Belltower Luna. Between people invading you and people invading your hosts you will be flooded with targets.

Oh I'm aware. But having PvP cordoned off into quasi arenas for all intents and purposes still flies in the face of many predictions. It just amuses me is all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Earned This is Dark Souls by punching a rat in front of the old ladies house

There were more.

:cripes:

There is no shame in dying to the Deadly Murder Gophers of Majula

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

I thinks it's more that the Cracked Eye orbs are relatively rare then anything else. Which brings into question why the first covenants are "call in protection!" and "be the protection!" against invaders.

Yeah, it's not cordoned off literally, just effectively. You are right though, the PvP atmosphere DOES make the whole Blueboys thing weird as hell. Maybe they just wanted to preserve the age old tradition of blue phantoms starving for PvP opportunities.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So is it true they've done the exact same thing as in early Dark Souls 1 wherein scaling is mostly garbage, elemental damage is king, and you're best off just going for the absolute bare minimum stats for <spell/weapon you want> and a bunch of health?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Umberger posted:

Resists work in an odd way.

Weapon A has 200 physical
Weapon B has 100 physical 100 lightning
Enemy A has 50 armor/resist to all types of damage

Hitting Enemy A with Weapon A gives you 200-50 = 150 attack.
Hitting Enemy A with Weapon B gives you (100-50) + (100-50) = 100 attack.

Also now elemental weapons scale with stats (Fire/Magic with Int, Lightning/Dark with Faith), so it's no longer "change this to [x] element and it's automatically better".

Every empirical testing video I've seen suggests that scaling is piddly poo poo at best, with fire weapons having a comparable AR at base stats to heavily invested Int/Faith, and a +10 Chaos Blade getting like maybe 25 AR out of 15 Dex (which is to say a 40 Dex versus a 25 only producing 25 total AR) despite its allegedly super good scaling :shrug:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 27, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Donald Duck posted:

Dex scaling is crap, Strength not so much.

Strength was covered in said videos. Pretty much no scaling is great from what I observed. This is the testing video I'm referring to if you want to check it out yourself.

http://www.twitch.tv/rbfrosty/c/4001004

A good two hours of science! :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What chime are people finding most effective for LIGHTNING SPEAR antics and variants thereof? I mean clearly Dragon Chime is best but until then what is a good stopgap?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I gotta preface this: I really like this game, and it's a great improvement over Dark Souls 1 mechanics wise. But as a complete package it's more than a little disappointing simply due to the failures on the level design front. I feel like I've been fighting more or less the same enemies all game, bosses are all some variant of big armored melee motherfucker, areas are disjointed and make no sense in the context of each other. This feeds into the lore issues. These places aren't really fun to explore because they just don't mean anything like Lordran did. There's no personality to it, no logic. It's just really disappointing after Dark Souls 1 oozed atmosphere. :(

My reaction to collecting one of the Four Great Souls shouldn't be surprise that that was one of them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I totally agree with this. The gameplay, mechanics and pretty much everything else is an improvement (especially the multiplayer, the phantoms gameplay is phenomenal), but the world and monster designs aren't as good as the original. You gain some, you lose some. Lordran just has that omniscience about it.

I think you meant something else but yeah just...the overall lack of intelligence of design in the world itself was a big letdown for me. That was a big part of what made Dark Souls, Dark Souls for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Wave if you see me at the bellfry! I'm the one with the stupid hat.

While I agree to this too some extent, I don't think you're being fair to this game. Especially when it comes to bosses. The boss fights in this game are more frequent and better than the ones in DS1. I'm not sure what makes you say they are all big armoured meelee dudes, but hey if we're gonna generalize lets look at the first few bosses of Dark Souls;

-Giant melee demon
-ANOTHER giant melee demon
-Two melee gargoyles
-An rear end in a top hat butterfly
-YET ANOTHER giant melee demon
-Giant melee dragon
-Giant melee spider

A grand total of one of those doesn't have a melee focus. Most of them are still fun fights though, and the same applies to DS 2.

As for the lore, I wouldn't judge the game until you've played an explored more. Remember that the lore in these games is told through pretty subtle means, a lot coming from item descriptions. You won't learn what a lot of the bosses and areas are for until you examine their souls and the weapons they make. The major fault I find in this game compared to Dark Souls is that Dangleic doesn't feel connected properly, while everything in Lordran lined up near perfectly. There was a definite sense of progression in Dark Souls. You could see how one area lead into another. I don't get that same feeling with Drangleic. Most areas don't link together in any way.

Ruins Sentinels, Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider, Smelter Demon, Pursuer (two times). The bosses fought that haven't been listed include: Covetous Demon, Mytha, Executioner's Chariot, Skeleton Lords, and the Last Giant. It's a pretty strong trend bro! Oh an Flexile Sentries. They strictly speaking aren't armored dudes, but in terms of how they fight they still feel very same-y.

Outside of the arguable trend of repetitive bosses, it isn't just the lack of cohesion in the world dude, it's the fact that I'm really not given a reason to care. Dark Souls 1 has a very strong mythos established right out the gate. I have no idea why I care about Drangleic by contrast. Dark Souls is always minimalist, but I think they could have done more to establish Drangleic as something I should give a poo poo about.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know how to respond that to that. Half the bosses you listed aren't giant armoured melee dudes so you have defeated your own point. Again, if you're going to generalize THAT MUCH then almost all of the bosses in Dark Souls were giant melee dudes.

I...what? They're giant, they wear heavy armor, they're melee. What is unclear about this? Another contributing factor is that a lot of them, even the ones that are dissimilar visually, fight in similar ways. Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider are probably the most guilty of this, being back to back iterations on the same fighting style, but it also contributes to the problem with bosses like Mytha. She's really cool visually but her fighting style basically just makes her feel like a redux of the aforementioned two.

Are you confused because I, in a second list, added the ones who don't qualify? That was the point. Contrast. Showing off the ratio (which appears to be approximately 50%).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah the plot doesn't really ask you to care about Drangleic at all. In fact a lot of NPC dialogue and various other sources imply that you were simply drawn there by the Dark. You are simply one of many undead exploring the remnants of the kingdom (although you are probably the most successful in your world).

And sure, I can see what you and Sydin are saying in that that could be intentional. I just don't think it's effective. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Attestant posted:

Please don't wear Drangleic Armour. It's a dumb tube and everyone wears it.

Using it immediately disqualifies you from Fashion Souls. :colbert:

You know, my friend claimed this too but from Sunbroing constantly I have literally only seen one other person wearing this thing. Go figure :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

I've been sitting in the Servant Quarters with the bell ring on for 5 minutes and haven't gotten any sort of PVP, do I have to be in the bell place to get summoned?

It's been a slow Bellday. It is a weekday to be fair.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Maybe you guys are overleveled for it? I've had constant (like 10 second downtime) between invasions for a few hours now.

I've been hanging around near Sol which is where people about my level range should be tooling around. Nada. Just a slow Bellday. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone else ever find that that in PvP they hit someone, the game makes the sound for them hitting the person, yet they don't take any damage? It happens for me on a regular basis with Pate's Spear. I'll clearly stab someone but they don't take any damage from it. Never see it happen to me though.

Netcode, it's the final boss of the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So what's the go to allotment for stat points on a Hexer? 30/30, Simpleton's Spice on Affinity, dump the rest in Attunement?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

loving gently caress these ruin sentinels are insane and i've already wasted all my consumables and effigies and what do you mean Lost Bastille is not the correct place to go straight after forest of lost giants

this loving game

I feel so bad for people who do not figure out that Jolly Cooperation is the way to restore humanity, not effigies :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Pro tip for getting helpful summons: Never summon anyone wearing Drangleic Armor, its the Drake Sword of this game

If by Drake Sword you mean looks swag as hell, yes :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Attestant posted:

You mean looking like a weird fat and caped tube. :colbert:

I look like some kind of caped Centurion and it rules. Glory to Rome. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neetengie posted:

They're pretty good because they have B scaling for their respective uses. I wouldn't recommend upgrading them because you can get better stuff, but they're worth buying.

Speaking of, what is a good Staff for hexing? I know what I'm aiming for Chime wise but Staff? gently caress if I know.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Some of those are probably people being caught by the mummies exploding too. They all pretty much rush you as soon as you hit that doorway and it's really easy to get blown up or off the walkway.

That sounds like a kind of a stretch honestly. Is Seath even pronounced like that (didn't play DS1)? Usually a spelling like that would be pronounced more like "shayth."

Not that the spider doesn't have something to do with Seath but just using a reasonably common word like "seethe" isn't really proof of anything.

All of the Old Souls are the four Lord Soul/Lord Soul fragments from Dark Souls 1. They merely take new forms. The game couldn't be any more clear about this without literally beating you over the head with it. Take for instance the fact that Freja is deliberately made a separate soul from the Duke himself, which you have to embrace with a clicky. As per Tark's words, the DUKE is a mad MAGICAL EXPERIMENTER creating twisted new life and lashing out against perceived slights, driven mad by his loneliness and inability to confront his real issues.

Whooooo could that be I wonder?????

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Do you get anything for vanquishing invaders in Belfry Luna?

The honor of being able to loot the place unmolested and move on to the boss.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

At least you can do it in one playthrough now, last game required I think three unless someone just gave you the boss souls/weapons. Go try and get all the trophies in Demon's Souls without trading if you want to experience true suffering.

Uhhh, in theory you can in practice you can't. Getting all spells, if you mean Sorceries+Pyromancies+Hexes+Miracles, would require getting Wrath of the Gods. Which means getting 150 points in the Blue Sentinels Covenant.

Which is basically impossible outside of NG+ :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Dark Souls 2 really doesn't have that. It feels a lot less like a coherent place with its own story and history and more like a bunch of, well, levels haphazardly jumbled together. It's a real letdown.

This is especially true in Heides Tower of Flame. If you stand near the Cathedral and turn to look back to whwre you entered the area, logically just beyond it should be Majula or some kind of stone cliff face beyond which is presumably Majula. Nnnnope you are just kind of illogically out in the middle of the ocean disconnected from everything.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 29, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DreadNite posted:

How about the PvP? Is sorcery (Dark Bead *cough* cough*) as broken as it was in DS1 PVP? Or is DS2 more balanced than it's predecessor?

All the most overpowered Dark Souls 1 spells are now their own entire overpowered spell category: Hexes. They are still mad OP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nftyw posted:

No, and get bent you murderous gangbanging piece of garbage. People don't need invading when trying to learn how to fight the gargoyles!

Sorry for the vitriol but I had another lovely specialized PVPer use poison and got double teamed on. Bellbros are just utter dicks.

If only you could beat down other grey phantoms, I'd join bellbros in a heartbeat. As a bellbro killer :getin:

I hope I killed you at least once in my day long Luna rampage, today.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Speaking of Bellbros do they ever come one on one? Every time I get 2 of them coming at me.

The system works such that the game will summon up to two Bellbros, then you won't get invaded for about 5-10 minutes. More than enough time to clear the place out and escape through the mist.

It's rare that the two Bellbros won't show up more or less back to back.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Yeah, the bell covenant just isn't working for me for some reason. I'm online, covenant symbol is flashing, I'm wearing the ring, and I have 1.38mil SM, but I'm just not getting summoned. What's going on?

I've been getting summoned all day, fairly regularly, so my guess is you're actually too high for most people at the time of day you're trying.

My experience at 1.4 mil was about the same, my 360k dude is invading non-stop.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 30, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Piell posted:

Yes and no, respectively. The mace is one of the best weapons in the game, and slabs aren't quite as rare as they were in DS1, so if you like the moveset then take it to +10. Infusions scale based on Int and/or Faith now, so if you aren't one of those builds then go non-infused all the way.

This is wrong information. Scaling is pretty bad on weapons, so an infused elemental weapon is virtually always better. You can have dog poo poo in INT and Faith and it'll still be better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm glad they tried new things with the story and world in Dark Souls 2. They could of just done something similar to Dark Souls but instead they decided to create a different kind of experience. I think it worked pretty well. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 both provide different story experiences, and both are good in their own way. The only significant problem I have with the story in Dark Souls 2 is that it feels like nobody sat down and thought "how do we connect all this stuff together?". In Dark Souls the world fit together near perfectly. There was a logical progression from one area to the next. Dark Souls 2 has plenty of great areas but very few of them fit together well, so the setting feels less organic.

Transitions from one area to the next can be pretty important. I think descending into the Gutter by falling down the massive pit in Majula is a great transition. Then you have ones like reaching Iron Keep which made literally no sense whatsoever.

Meanwhile I felt like Dark Souls 2 made constant lore and story missteps. Two big ones for me:

Darkdiver Grahl. AKA Anselm from Kingdom loving Hearts. I'm convinced after doing the Pilgrims of the Dark thing that whichever writer at From had any idea what the Abyss or Humanity was about has left, because this guy is a hot mess of utter nonsense. You have unlocked the truest Dark within you! Dark darkity dark! Holy poo poo guy what does that even mean? I'm half expecting him to mid-rant tell me that now, having unlocked my truest Dark (????) that now we're going to go kick Mickey Mouse and Sora's rear end.

The Emerald Herald. Searching for the truth amidst the ruins of Lordran was fun because anyone who could tell you the truth is dead or insane. You kind of lose the satisfaction of gradually peeling back the mystery of Drangleic when all the answers are right there on hand, only held out of reach because of one rear end in a top hat's determination to be pointlessly Anime Mysterious. I really think she basically shouldn't even exist at this point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

You've been saying nothing except "lol l2p scrubs :smuggo:" for pages now. We get it, you're awesome and anyone who has any criticism about the level design just sucks at it. Now go back to gamefaqs.

I agree with NihilVerum, the zones in DS2 just feel less organic and appropriate than the ones in the last game. The whole approach to the Iron Keep is basically cribbed from DS1's approach to Izalith, what with the vertical poison level, flat poison level, lava level, but where DS1 actually felt like you're actually travelling somewhere - descending through the sewers, climbing down a rickety shanty down built into the walls of the above city's garbage dump, trudging through the sludge and finally spelunking down a natural cave into the underworld - the whole thing feels like a sequence of Doom levels. It's a lot more low-effort design and not nearly as well integrated.

Hey now, GenoCyber may have an autistic brain that literally cannot process that people enjoy games for different reasons than he does, but he's largely correct in that that Kawabata guy is just terrible at the game. Dark Souls 2 is probably the easiest Souls game there is, Kawabata is just unobservant at best :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Hahaha. I pvped in DaS1 for over a year, finished both DS and DaS several times, and if you browse my post history you'll read that I've completed both Rats and Bellbros in an afternoon, dying a total of 6 times.

I'm not complaining because I'm bad at the game, I'm simply saying that this game is the cheaper of the 3, and I'm in good company, regardless of what the DaS2 insufferable master race seems to think. It's not harder, I never said that. I agreee with you that it might be even easier this time around, considering the game has a much better multiplayer and bosses/bad spots can be cheesed without too much effort with any 3 men party, but level design/single player gameplay are just not on par with the 2 previous games.

And collision detection is still loving terrible.

You've yet to give a meaningful defintion of what "cheaper" means besides demonstrating to us that you couldn't spot an ambush and misconstrued it as enemies manifesting from thin air.

"BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO AGREE WITH ME" doesn't make you sound like any less of an idiot whiner. No poo poo there are people who agree with you, somewhere. I could find people who'd nod their heads if I said the sky was purple. You are on the internet congrats.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

homeless poster posted:

I'm a little miffed at how there's content that you can literally lock yourself out of if you don't have the prescience to know what knob to twist when (or play the game with a wiki open in another window). I just found out that I can't actually get the pyromancy forbidden sun because I pulled a lever on the first floor of the dungeon and freed Navlaan without knowing how that would hose me. My question is, if I finish this dungeon and then go back to the opening bonfire and use an ascetic, will that reset Navlaan's quest chain or am I going to have to re-play through the game up to this point on NG+? Also, since apparently I've gotten way too many souls for NG in order to actually get matched with any BoB duels, if I toss two ascetics into the fire under the Chancellor, is that going to make the final boss NG++ status on my first go thru? I'd like to try and wrap up all the pryomancies in one go, but I'm seriously bummed about loving up with Navlaan.

As far as the lore theorizing goes I completely believe that Vendrick was supposed to be the protagonist from DaS. The four "major" souls align too perfectly with the four lord vessel souls from the first game for that to be coincidence, with the exception of the Four Kings, who don't really seem to get an analogy in this game.

Also, I would contend that not lighting the kiln is the canon ending, because in that ending of DaS the narrator says something like how this action by the chosen undead will usher in an age of darkness, and like half the content in DaS2 is all about the darkness.

Not quite

Vendrick is not the protagonist, from DaS. Period. The Sublime Bone Dust description refers to the Chosen Undead, who sacrificed himself to rekindle the First Flame and prolong the Age of Fire. The Four Lord Souls from Dark Souls 1 have been rematerializing in different hosts for an indeterminate period of time ever since, this is extremely clear by the descriptions of the Four Old One Souls in DaS2 and hammered home by what they drop on NG+. The Old Iron King is a manifestation of Gwynn's Lord Soul, the Rotten is a manifestation of Gravelord Nito's Lord Soul, the Duke is Seath, the Lost Sinner is the Witch of Izalith.

Vendrick defeated prior incarnations of these four, used their power to become the buff sonovabitch he was, and was manipulated by Nashandra whom is the reincarnation of Manus/Furtive Pygmy and aspected towards the Abyss. Vendrick is urged to go across the sea and gently caress up the Giants by Nashandra and claim some prize. The art of making golems? Seems like there was something more, somehow. Here's where things get a little unclear: Nashandra wanted Vendrick to ascend to the "true" Throne and do something, but it's not really clear what that is. The Throne of Want is clearly connected, and the ending talks about you linking the Flame...again. But I don't really see how sitting on a throne accomplishes that, and the talk of "what lays before you who even knows" in the ending also seems to run contrary to that. The ending is a garbled mess, basically.

There's some kind of theme that the Curse is ambition/greed/desire itself though I guess. Which is odd, because letting go of those things is what makes you go Hollow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Nashandra didn't create the golems. Wellager explicitly tells you Vendrick created the golems as a gift for his queen after they warred with the giants, and to build his castle. She also didn't kick Vendrick out; he eventually found out she was up to no good and fled to the Undead Crypt. That's why there's a shitton of hollowed soldiers in the way; their last duty before going hollow was to protect the king and prevent anyone from harming him, and now hollowed they carry out their last duty by attacking and killing anyone that tries to reach him.

The Emerald Herald is most likely a creation of Aldia; Vendrick may also be involved. She tells you she was "born of dragons, contrived by men, by ones who would cozen fate herself...Fate would not be bested, and men were cursed once again." Presumably she was created by Aldia and Vendrick as an attempt to stop the curse of the undead. There's some things that suggest she's something of a firekeeper (Navlaan - who may in fact be Aldia - calls her a Firekeeper). She may have been created in an attempt to kindle the first flame, perhaps? But it ultimately failed.

Sounds about right. The part that's most unclear right now is

What the HELL is the Throne of Want and what does it do? Why does Nashandra care about having a straight baller sitting on it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Well it's likely connected to the Kiln given it's similar appearance. We also know that it either shows whoever sits on it what they want, or it makes what the sitter wants become reality. It's also connect to the giants, given you need the Kinship to access the throne itself. And...that's about all we know.

Yep

I was half expecting it to be some kind of renovation of the Kiln of the First Flame and for it to light up and toast me after the doors shut and I sat on the Throne buuuut I guess not? Man who even knows. Maybe the DLC will make things clearer when/if it comes out :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

keyframe posted:

Also is Vendrick the final boss of the game and the game is over when you beat him? I died to him once and went back and saw the fog door is back for the boss before him. I hope that doesn't mean I have to fight that rear end in a top hat every time I try to go to Vendrick. The road leading up to that door is a bitch to clear if the bell rings and it does every time.

Vendrick is totally optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

More plot stuff:

Is Nashandra the one that is mentioned when the Emerald Herald mentions:

"That tiny thing inside the ruins…
An ancient being that will mock your very existence.
She imparts sound wisdom.
Provided you find her on a good day…"
?

She's talking about the cat :v: