Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Makoto you say? The Rindoukan Bible is a pretty and well-laid out comprehensive guide to Makoto.

Man, that guide rules. I'd like to get as many of these as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So... I guess I won't be able to combo after Balrog's jab swing blow anymore? That kinda sucks, although I can really only use that trick once per match anyway before people start looking for it.

Also I'm guessing the reduced blockstun for Cammy's EX Cannon Strike and delayed knockdowns is going to gently caress with her rushdown and vortex, huh?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's safe on block now, though.

Yeah, I think I'll take having a less risky overhead over getting free Ultras off of it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I really dig plumber Rolento and Decapre with the Iron Mask. That almost makes me not regret buying SFxT at full price.

Actually, no, I still regret that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I hope they update the trials for Ultra. They're all from Super, and IIRC some of them don't work in AE.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

While we're on the subject of execution things, I've been wondering about something and haven't really been able to find a tutorial on it - and that's charge character Ultras after a backdash or FADC.

I can do a dash forward ultra, but I can't do it consistently. To dash, I generally double tap the stick forward or back - I'm not actually gripping the ball when I do it. With my hand or thumb (depending on the side), I'll tap forward, forward. However I've found when I do this the ultra doesn't come out.

To get it to come out, I've found I need to keep my fingers glued to the ball, and press forward, manually move it back to neutral, forward, slide it to back, slide it forward. Of course the dash doesn't come out all the time.

I'm not sure how to do it from a backdash either, or how to do it from a focus attack. It almost seems like people do a FA, dash forward or back, hold down back for half a second, and then do their ultra. Generally I can only ultra after a focus attack when I don't dash after the crumple and just hope I time it right, or in the case of Balrog, do cr.mp or whatever into headbutt to juggle.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Do you have a link to that Sakura bible? I've been thinking if picking her up.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

systran posted:

lol... I don't... I will message my friend on Facebook and get a copy to give to you!

Gracias! Trying to do research on the SRK forums is such a slog. It can be tough to sift though actual useful, important information and all the garbage.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid. "Heh, I can beat the AI on medium, I know everybody's special moves and can beat all these people who have never played the game before. I'm good at Street Fighter!" Then SF4 came out and I got an Xbox and I was in for a huge shock. I didn't even know that a competitive scene even existed until then.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Hey you live in my city, let me ask you, IS there a competitive scene for Street Fighter out here?

You live in Greensboro? Well yeah there is!!

It's a little insular and is mostly contained to a facebook group rather than SRK because people on SRK drive everybody crazy. It's generally hosted by a guy named Conrad who is an extremely strong Rufus player and also a really cool guy. Last Friday we had like 15 guys in his apartment.

Also, there is an AWESOME video game store \ arcade called Lost Ark Games that will often hold tournaments on Saturdays. They pretty much always have a setup for AE, ST, 3s and will rotate in and out MvC2, Vampire Savior, CvS2, Jojo's, Garou MOTW, Samsho 6 and more. Saturdays are $8, every other day is $5 and all games are set to free play.
http://lostarkvideogames.com/

If you give me a PM I can add you to the facebook groups.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Nevermind, I just noticed you don't have PMs, but if you want to be added to the facebook groups for Greensboro, you can PM me on twitter (@Gammatron64) or email me at GarrettTRoss at gmail DOT com. Pretty much all the Greensboro FGC stuff is organized through facebook and not SRK.

Edit: oh yeah, Geeksboro also does fighting game tournaments occasionally too. This is a pretty good town to be in if you like vidjas with guys punching each other.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 29, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

systran posted:

A lot of people will just do focus attacks instead of footsies. You try to play footsies, they just focus attack. In this situation, you really don't want to just do something so passive as "then you focus too, and you can backdash away if he holds it." If people are focusing too much, you really want to actually punish it. If you let your opponent get away with overdoing focus, you're not going to be able to throw out pokes since you have no response to it.

If you are poking a lot and they are too poo poo to play footsies, they might just start doing focus over and over. You should get close enough to do a two-in-one, or be ready to shoot an EX fireball or some other form of fast armor breaker. A lot of characters can also just raw ultra a focus.

I think just jumping away or focusing yourself is fine for an occasional focus, but if your opponent is actually abusing it you need to take advantage of that bad habit. Basically I don't think this is a situation where it's worth agreeing on a go-to response; it's going to vary too much based on character matchups and opponent tendencies.

When I play Rog, people who just focus all the time rather than playing footsies drive me nuts and tend to blow me up. If I'm moving back and forth I don't have charge (I can't do like say, cr.mk xx fireball like Ryu) so sometimes I just throw out torpedos and TAPs and try to guess when they're going to focus. This doesn't always work.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

systran posted:

When I mained rog and lived in China, this Sagat in the arcade (who I played basically every night) did that poo poo all the time. My solution was to get in his face at max cr. mp range, and as soon as he focused I just did cr. mp xx dash straight. If I got ultra and was further away (not too far though) I would just raw ultra. Even if you get unlucky and catch them in the air of the backdash, you can still juggle them up. If you're lucky you catch them grounded and get full damage. You really have to focus on punishing that poo poo as rog, otherwise your best poke is getting shut down completely for free.

Thanks, I'm going to try and do that some more. I guess it's sorta like doing the Gootecks shimmy, but just not after a couple blocked jabs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hillbilly Pharoh posted:

It is not like that at all.

Uhhh it's a cr.MP xx rush punch but just used to beat a focus instead of using it as a frame trap?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Strategy guides for fighting games and MMOs are usually pretty bad because things get patched and there's often a lot of poo poo that is just plain wrong and was never right. You could probably write a good ST or 3s bible as those games are old as balls and nobody is finding a lot of new tech for those, but for a brand new game? I dunno. I take tier lists and the like with a huge grain of salt until a game has been out for a while.

Frame data and hitboxes are actual objective information and they're not going to change unless the game gets patched, so that's good.

I would know, I got guides to SSF4, MvC3, SFxT, Tekken 6, and a couple for WoW and FFXI. :downs:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Would be nice if they said WHERE you can pre-order.

Yeah, I dunno where I can preorder the DLC for the costumes. I didn't even realize you COULD preorder DLC.

I preordered the retail release for PS3 because well, why not have it for both consoles now that I have one, and on Amazon it says it'll be released Sept. 2nd. Uh... that's like a month after August 5th.

systran posted:

Jumps vs. footsites

I think this is part of my problem in ranked. I throw out pokes and get whacked by jump ins a lot. It also explains why I do significantly better outside of ranked.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Greensboro is like the T. Hawk capital of the world so once Ultra comes out, this is going to be really interesting.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Trykt posted:

He actually despises people that watch videos and learn from them. Doing "frame combos" you learned on youtube makes you a turd.

My favorite quote:

Awwwww... I used to play that way when I was 9 years old. "Heh, I can do a fireball motion. That means I'm good at Street Fighter." :smug:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MILF destroyer posted:

This really was the standard in my group when SF2 came out. I remember the first time I saw a guy doing actual combos with Guile in the arcade it blew my tiny mind, It was like Jesus Christ himself had come down to play.

I never had an arcade growing up, so I never even really knew that competitive fighting games was even a thing until SF4 came out. Before the Internet, we'd pretty much just throw fireballs and do the amazing combo of jumping roundhouse into sweep all day.

Luckily though, we actually have a decent arcade with a scene here now, so it's better late than never. Though there's this one guy who is basically like a fat(er) black DSP who gets pissed off and makes excuses constantly whenever you beat him. *tries to do a jump in and gets anti-aired for the millionth time without learning* "drat it! It's because of the arcade stick! I didn't mean to do that!" *gets punished for doing a wakeup ultra* "Ugh that would have hit if it weren't for lag!"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, I get home in about 9 hours, we'll see if Ultra is up for 360 yet then.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I have the game on disc and I plan on downloading Ultra today, but I also kind of want to get AE off of games for gold on the 16th so I don't have to use a disc anymore. I wonder if this will bork my game or not.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Alex Earl Cash posted:

As this is my plan also, i was a bit bummed and confused by this:
Once you update you will no longer be able to download Super SFIV and Super SFIV Arcade Edition. I don't get why i wouldn't.

Ugh. I don't want to have to use a disc anymore but I also don't want to wait till the 16th to play Ultra. This is dumb.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

When I'd piano Honda's hands, I'd just slide my finger across the buttons, although I would sometimes get an EX this way without meaning to do so. Doing it the "proper" way is really hard.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's a reason why Rog is my main. Dude is just solid all around. Unless you cross him up or knock him down.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I like lobbies because I get bored of seeing the exact same matchup between two characters over and over. Just adds some variety.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Not sure how much interest anyone has with this, but you can use those USF4 frame data apps on the Google Play store by emulating an Android device in VirtualBox.

The free one is pretty good, has a bunch of useful tools and seems to have accurate frame data on everyone if that's your thing and the only phone you still own is a Nokia brick from the early 00's.

Does the one on the iTunes app store tell me what moves punish what? Because that is friggin' awesome and would improve my game tenfold.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is that the official one that you pay for? No idea, sorry.

These are all the options the free one supports

1 - Select character, enter two moves, gives the gap in frames between them.
2 - Select character, enter a frame number, gives all the possible permutations of two moves that have this gap in frames.
3 - Select a move from P2 character, lists everything that P1 can use to (theoretically) punish when blocked.
4 - Select character, enter a move, gives every possible link from that move and what sort of link they are (1-frame, 2-frame, etc).
5 - Full frame data for each character.
6 - Lets you write notes for each character yourself.

drat, that looks like an amazingly powerful tool. Makes me wish I had an android. Or the dude made it a web application. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dias posted:

You shouldn't be disheartened when you're losing to people better than you. Save the anger for when you lose to people "worse" than you.

Last week I went to a local 16 man tournament and lost to an online flowchart Ken because I was trying to do footsies and got cocky and decided to use Cammy and try to rush him down instead of just using Balrog who I have more experience with and just turtling.

Hell, if I just stood there and did DPs all day with Cammy I still probably would have won.

I'm really not to happy with myself for that one.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know I don't feel so bad about having a PC too lovely to run SF4 now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Put a suggestion into the suggestion box. Unfortunately the suggestion box leads straight into an incinerator.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tae posted:

Holy poo poo, your computer must be like 10 years old cause mine's like 8 and still runs Ultra smooth.

I think my graphics card is bad because it stutters a decent amount even in training mode with backgrounds turned off. I've been meaning to upgrade it but ehhh it's not like I play very many PC games anyway.

(I also need to leave the side off and put a fan next to it or else it overheats - my case actually is like 15 years old)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think there's something I'm not getting with Cammy's frame traps. I tried this in training mode with a friend and had him crouch tech but 90% of the time whatever I did wound up with a counter hit or a cr.lk beat me out.

Most guides I've seen just say "use cl.MP, cr.MP or EX cannon strike". I'm guessing these just work after a single jab and not two, right? And I TK the cannon strike, right? How high off the ground should I be?

I might eventually just have to get somebody to show me in training mode or something because I'm a big dummy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

systran posted:

What do you mean "after a single jab?" Ideally you do meaty cl. mp, cr. mp with no jabs. If you do a jab you lose some frame advantage from doing the cl. MP as a meaty.

I'm too lazy to get into the frame data here, but you have to remember that "frame trap" encompasses a lot of things, but when good players telling you how to play other good players talk about frame traps they are USUALLY talking about something that catches good players who delay their throw techs rather than people who mash crouch tech as fast as humanly possible.

Against crouch tech mashing you want to create a very small gap between the hits, so if you do an EX cannon strike (and yes you always TK it) you want to do it very early. Against someone who is actually waiting and trying to tech on reaction it's better to delay it, as if you do it super early they will end up just blocking it.

I'm too lazy to look up the frame date, but for cl. mp, cr. mp, it's good because if the cl. mp hits, you have time to hit confirm into cr. mp xx drill. If the cl. mp is blocked, you then have the option of tick throwing, of going into another block string, of going for a further frametrap of the EX cannon strike (which if it hits you can hit confirm into a full combo), of blocking and baiting a reversal, and so on.

Ahhhh, that's what I wasn't getting. I thought you were meant to cr.jab then walk up and either tick throw or do cl.mp. Didn't realize you did it as a meaty.

Okay, so for people mashing crouch techs I do TK cannon strike, because I've been getting hit by that a lot.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

systran posted:

You CAN do a jab and walk up with cl. mp, but if they mash crouch tech they will probably hit you. If you scare your opponent into being afraid to press buttons you can start getting away with stuff like that, but unless you have demonstrated that you can counter-hit frame trap into big combos, it's unlikely you'll get away with it.

EX TK cannon strike done before their crouch tech can become active will kill the crouch tech. You become airborne before their move is active, and even though the cannon strike isn't active right away, it hits them while the cr. short is still out and lands you usually a counter-hit, which gives you lots of time to confirm into a huge combo at point-blank range.

Awesome! I think my Cammy play is going to get a great deal stronger now that I know I can blow up crouch techs with stuff like EX Divekick, cl.HP, cr.MK xx HCS.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Makoto is not a dive-kicker. If anything, they should have said rushdown \ mixups or something.

And while Fuerte is a wrestler he really doesn't play anything like the other grapplers at all and I wouldn't include him in that group.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yes, luchadores are grapplers in real life but Fuerte doesn't even have a proper command grab. Street Fighter characters are not exactly good representations of real martial arts

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Like, if you want to give characters new movies and poo poo, you gotta give Ryu his donkey kick from 3s.

Also give Chun her upkicks from ST and remap Spinning Bird to charge back. Yes, I know she technically has her upkicks in her target combo but it just isn't the same. And make her cl.HP into back+HP like in 3s. Basically make her 3s chun with upkicks :unsmigghh:

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 24, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What I find disappointing is that there's a lot of opportunities to bring back old lost moves from older games but they're totally not doing it.

Like...

*Ryu's donkey kick and Denjin Hadouken from 3s
*Dictator's fireballs from the Alpha games and his big fuckoff psycho crusher from alpha 3
*A whole ton of Chun-Li's poo poo, like her moveset changes entirely in like every game. Her upkicks, 3s b+HP, etc
*A fuckton of supers that were just in the Alpha games like Cammy going all Maximum Spider
*A fuckton of poo poo that was just in the EX games

Basically the coolest poo poo capcom could do is bring back the system direction \ dip switches feature. Imagine how fun it would be if you're just loving around and could toggle:
*faster walk speed
*3s parries
*alpha 2 custom combos
*cancel normals \ specials into ultras
*marvel \ darkstalkers chain combos
*rolls on wakeup
*alpha counters
*other stupid poo poo

Like it would be awesome to just be like "Okay, just for funsies I want my SF4 to play more like ST, or 3s, or Alpha or CvS2 or what the gently caress ever..."

like that would be so cool and I would just loving throw my money at capcom to give me that

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

every move they brought back is using existing animations. A lot of those just won't work because of that. And Gouken has the donkey kick and Denjin already.

yeah I forgot capcom doesn't actually like spending money on games and ultra was budget as hell, I mean all the new content was either ripped from SFxT or a cammy re-skin

that said, Ryu has his donkey kick in SFxT and the animations for Chun's upkicks and back+fierce are already in the game and like... maybe you could just use bison's fierce animation for his fireball or something.

but seriously the option to play SF4 in ST or 3s mode would be rad as gently caress

yes, I realize I could just play ST or 3s but I already do that, just sayin' it would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mr. Satan and Krillin are strong as gently caress compared to normal people, it's just that there's guys like Goku flying around. Dan is the same way.

• Locked thread