Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

With all that said, I did really enjoy it. Highly recommend it for anybody looking for a good oldschool shooter, it's everything RAGE should have been.
I'm reading this thread looking for general reviews, and this is really selling me on it. I liked RAGE well enough, so this could be excellent. Of course, I got RAGE for something like $15, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, even turning mouse smoothing to off, it seems like there's a ton of mouse acceleration regardless. How do I kill this?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Holy poo poo the start of the London Nautica mission. :gonk:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does anyone elses' knives keep vanishing? I picked up 4 in the lobby of the Nautica, then later on in the level (I had died, admittedly) I didn't have any.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I like how, if you want, you can dualwield knives just for the purpose of making your takedowns more stabby. Attention to detail.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wanted to stay in space for so much longer than I got to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
People really need to stop leaving their knives lying around. In BJ, for instance. It isn't safe. Someone might get hurt.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Last mission spoilers: What happens if you don't stab Deathshead? Can you even not stab him? I mean, I stabbed him first chance, but still, I'm curious. Same with Bubi, I guess.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The only thing about weapons that struck me was that the upgrade for the Marksman didn't really do anything Marksman-y. It just basically gave me a set of assault rifles that I used for robots after I'd blown my LKW load.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Dual-wielding laser-Marksmans in the lunar base is some Moonraker poo poo, though. I loved it.

Having said that, I didn't like the primary fire on the Marksman very much. It wasn't silenced, so every Nazi on the map knew when you'd fired a shot - if I was going to "go loud", I was better off equipping the assault rifle or something. The silenced pistol was laser-accurate at any range anyway, making the Marksman kind of superfluous.
It didn't even feel like the normal Marksman bullets had much stopping power - it wasn't like you could plink away at a Supersoldat at range and potentially bring it down like you could with the FG42 in RTCW. Definitely the least useful gun in the game.
Yeah, I loved dualwielding laser-Marksmans, it just...was another set of assault rifles rather than an upgrade/change to the Marksman. I used the Marksman as an actual rifle on the Gibraltar Bridge, though, before you go through the checkpoint. There are a bunch of guns in cover with a mounted machine gun, shotgunner, and iirc an Ubersoldat and they don't really move forward, so I used the Marksman to clear out the weak people without too much of a problem. There were a few other places I guess. Its a great gun for open areas you can't really move across/around easily without getting shot up, but there aren't many of those.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

girth brooks part 2 posted:

You can also kill one of the first two mechs you ecounter without firing a single shot if you hop into the back of the truck it came out of and smack the big red self destruct button.
This is loving awesome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broose posted:

I think you are right. It's either a remix or just a short snip on repeat. Maybe someday when everyone and their mother are not putting out "walkthroughs" (read: nerd voice over a poo poo recording quality) people uploading ripped music will be able to be found on youtube.
I really hate this trend of video walkthroughs. It takes forever to find something if you're just looking for the location of one thing, something that can be found so much quicker in a text document.

kefkafloyd posted:

On game related tangents, since I am decidedly not familiar with much Hebrew stuff, I actually looked up what "Shimshon" meant, turns out Set addresses BJ as Samson. I did a little refresher reading, and it makes a lot of sense with the parallels to BJ.
That's pretty cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dewgy posted:

You get the attachment for your LKW that lets it self-recharge.
Very, very slowly. If you like using the LKW with the scope to powerblast stuff at once, its not that helpful. It basically means that using it as a torchcutter effectively drains no power, so you don't have to top off before a fight.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

echronorian posted:

They use the Fergus and Wyatt decision as the main drive for why you hate deathshead. But I agree it didn't work well enough as the driving force of the antagonist. Honestly when Fergus brought it back up in the middle somewhere I immediately thought "who? Oh. The NPC at the beginning, I think."

I really wanted to kill Engle.
I think the Wyatt playthrough handles this better, honestly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

causticBeet posted:

Definitely way more half life or metro 2033 than CoD. There's something very satisfying about the diversity of gameplay between sneaky stealth levels and running around with dual shrapnel shotguns just blowing suit up.
And how seamlessly you switch between them, too. That was nice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, playing through on the hardest difficulty now, and I realize that dual wield does not work properly. It shows both guns, I can switch modes on both guns, reload both guns, BUT ONLY THE LEFT GUN ACTUALLY FIRES. So, you get a movement penalty for without an increase in fire power, although it still records the kills as dual wield kills for your perks.
...You've never played a FPS, have you?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You totally can play this game all dualwielding, all the time, on the highest difficulties. Run, slide to cover, shoot Nazis, then stack their helmets on your head to become invincible.

Also, Autopanzer is a hell of a useful perk for this.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I liked how most of them reinforced a play style too. Like dualwielding? Kill dudes while dual wielding and get better at killing dudes. Most if them, except some demo perks, where going to happen just through playing the game

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

This game is full of nice touches. It's kind of weird that it tends to take little steps to humanize what are otherwise cartoonish over the top villains, like the letters discussing Rudi getting beaten by his father and abandoned by his mom who is now hitting him up for money, or Helga's raging alcoholism. New Order is one of the few games I ever bothered to plat and I'll likely wind up going the distance on this one as well. Only just started at chapter 4 out of 8 but I'm highly satisfied.
New Order did that a bit. In the prologue you can eavesdrop on the commander of the castle talking about how he loves his wife and kids and really wants to go home to them soon right before you stab him for his secrets.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there ever any reason to use the knife besides throwing it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

To be completely fair, while it's lovely that she turns a blind eye to the crazy poo poo Rudi does with the prisoners, if you find the hidden audio recording in the Library it makes it pretty clear that she treats the asylum inmates pretty well in her personal interactions with them.

She's still a Nazi which means she deserves to die on principle though.
Aw poo poo, I missed that recording. I missed a lot of letters, too. Replays!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Serperoth posted:

I've been playing TOB and I'm only up to Chapter 4, but I feel like stealth is much harder due to the level design than in TNO. The silenced pistol headshot no longer is a one-shot kill on most enemies (the ones with the glowy backpack most notably, unless I'm doing something wrong), there's fewer throwing knives, and in general, I could sneak through all 'stealth' segments of The New Order, but in The Old Blood I keep restarting/being discovered. Is it just me, or have others noticed that?
I think they designed the encounters a little differently so that stealth is used to get to an advantageous position or thin out some guys rather than being entire "stealth" segments. Once I got the perk for stealth-killing commanders, I started just stealthing to near the commanders and just killing them loudly. They're definitely a little trickier.

e: You do have a window for stealth headshots, though. It won't be a one-hit-kill, but if you hit them repeatedly and quickly, they'll drop without anyone noticing. Double-tap them and you'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

echronorian posted:

I used silenced pistols to turn the Nazis rushing you. He can't hear silenced shots but he'll smash the zombies for you.

He's looking for New Order help, not Old Blood.

After you dump grenades, you're basically left with kiting and using your laser weaponry, either from the lkw or marksman altfire. Really short bursts to maximise your health regen bonuses and just don't get hit as much. I know its not very helpful.

• Locked thread