Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel kicks rear end at promotional items.

Glow in the dark Watcher EYES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

coconono posted:

AKA bouncy balls. Bouncy balls are cool, tho.

Probably more like ping pong balls. They need to be lightweight for shipping since they are "free."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Does Venom not have a shapeshifting costume anymore? Brock did the same thing with Zubaz pants.

No, he still has the alien suit and it changes a lot in the course of the story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

A better question about Venom in Guardians of the Galaxy is when exactly did that happen? Did I miss an issue somewhere along the way like a special or something? Also where did Angela go?

Venom joins up in the FCBD issue. I guess they figured it didn't matter to them at this hit a week & a half early.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Frank decided to pick up the mantel in the regular continuity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

This is so toyetic it hurts.

I don't think they ever did a toy of this, what an missed opportunity!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

He did, actually! ...it was for Superhero Squad. :psyduck:

Good gravy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

VVV: A lot of people seem really determined to dislike it because it's written by Slott.

Which is a perfectly good reason. And it's not even his talent, it's him being a retched human being.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He isn't very talented either, hth.

He has good ideas, horrible execution.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's also being written by Charles Soule who, on top of trying to take over Marvel and DC by writing every single book he can, is a successful and practicing lawyer.

I asked him how he found the time to do all of this stuff when I saw him at C2E2 and he simply said "I have an army of interns. An army." and went back to signing books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hope and vaseline posted:

How old is X-23?

I think she actually aged at a normal rate. She's 16-17.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Shouldn't she be in her 20s if she aged at a normal rate?

This is Marvel time we're talking about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh my store got short shipped Moon Knight again!

I was so busy today I forgot to read it. It's possible I was too busy playing with the bouncing Watcher eyeballs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chortles posted:

And it has the added advantage that the writer doesn't need to create stand-in characters since the title is a Marvel IP, while the runaway sales success to date has meant that the writer was allowed to use even more Earth-616 characters in the future... even if one of the first (besides Kamala's "personal Marvel Trinity", although only Carol Danvers has had plot relevance for the most part) is going to be Wolverine, and by runaway success I mean look at all these covers just for the first three issues:

(The blue-labeled #1-2 are second printings, the yellow-labeled #1 is a third printing.)

From a Bleeding Cool interview with the writer, boldfacing/italicizing in the reply is mine:
As for Kamala Khan, future Young Avenger: "not for a little while yet."

Only four of those are reprints, the rest are variant covers. All Marvel comics get variant covers these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

We already knew this. It is the Guardians issue that explains how Thanos and Starlord are back.

Ed Mcguiness is the Nova cover artist so it's very possible that's a Nova cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Not until everybody refers to him as Dick Rider :colbert:

That was never funny but whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Sometimes I don't get you, man.

Okay it was funny exactly once but like everything BSS beat it to death and continues to drag the corpse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't you have a comic to eat or something?

:)

Gatts posted:

I think we can still get some comedy out of the corpse. Just beat it a bit more...to the left.

Necromancer: CORPSE EXPLOSION!

*splurt*

Ugh, don't you have some sort of court order to keep away from corpses?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not building to anything. Bendis read the DnA stuff and said "I want to do that." And since he's the golden boy and there's a film coming he got to do it. I like the guy and the bulk of his work but he's notorious for this, he did it with the Hood, the Sentry and now he's doing it with the Guardians. I just don't think there'd be a current GotG comic if not for the film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

But now they've announced that we're going to have at least three Guardians ongoing's come September and a million tie-ins and one shots all following Bendis' lead. :getin:

Uh-huh. I'm sure it will be all very ground-breaking. A Rocket Raccoon ongoing is pretty much the worst idea ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah, that Skottie Young guy has no talent.

I'm not saying that. But I give next to no fucks about the current BLAM MURDERED YOU bullshit and I expect that's what he has to work with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently James Gunn just told Chris Pratt to skip the Bendis run when he was doing research for GotG.

I have a good feeling about this movie.

How many issue of the Bendi run were even out when Pratt was cast? One?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binary Badger posted:

Just wondering when 'Parker keeps running into poo poo he did as Superior Dickhead" stories will stop though.

He's been back for like 3 issues. Strap in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd assume for 4 billion dollars he didn't keep any control.

There's contracts saying what can and can't be done that we'll never know the full details of. One thing did come to light, Disney can never release IV-VI in their original theatrical versions on any format.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, for the past few years they've been putting out some fantastic, lower-profile books. If you're liking X-Force, you should check out Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy book which concluded just prior to his X-Force starting. They're not related at all, but it was a great book. Ms. Marvel is really a joy to read, though.

And X-Club, possibly the best X-Men limited series in the last decade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

srypher posted:

I'm just getting into reading comics again and holy poo poo is Marvel putting out some excellent stuff. All-New Ghost Rider, X-Force, Ms. Marvel - there's an unreal amount of great, ongoing series to read.

A lot of posters here like to poo poo on everything but we're really in a wonderful spot right now. There's far fewer "bad" comics coming out of Marvel these days than "good." Sure those terms are subjective but the overwhelming opinion is that Marvel loving rocks these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a couple in the other night with a 10 year old daughter and they were looking for strong female heroes but she only had $5 to spend. I gave her Ms Marvel #1, She-Hulk #1 and Captain Marvel #1 (all reprints) and called it even on the $5. Did I make money? Hell no. Did that kids smile make my day? Goddamned right it did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SalTheBard posted:

That's awesome.

I have to balance out my being a huge dick somehow, right?

Kids always get special treatment when I'm working. I could have just put some old Byrne She-Hulks in her hands but I'd much rather she got some quality books. I'm trying to work up a coupon system or a buyer's club for young readers so I can always give them good deals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LingcodKilla posted:

Thank you for not saying "we don't usually see breasts that small in the store".

Place that quote.

I...I don't want to know where that quote it from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or if you wanna direct one of their movies, a way to get on their radar is to make a Top 25 list of heroes you'd like to gently caress.

15 year old Rhyno should be directing pretty much everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what anyone ever said. Every time I've heard it it was the story about Immonen leaving because the sales couldn't justify his salary and Ellis didn't want to switch artists.

I mean, that could've been a lie.

I'm sure there was a hard drive crash in there somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And people think my hatred of Byrne is creepy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rirse posted:

Was Spider-Man Chapter 1 the one where it was only 99 cents for each issue? I remember getting the first issue when I was a kid since I was happy to get a comic for so cheap, but I honestly don't remember the issue.

That was the often fantastic Untold Tales of Spider-man by Kurt Busiek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He started slamming USM within 3 months of it's release. One of his favorite things to point out is that despite USM being a critical darling, Chapter One outsold it massively. And if you point out that you can buy a complete set of Chapter One for $3 and USM #1 runs $200+ he bans you from his forum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why doesn't Tony hook Cap up with a War Machine suit? Wouldn't Captain America be like the best drat Iron Man, shooting tactical smoke grenades and flash bangs all over the place and up in the air orchestrating the battle? I get why they probably would never do this in the main universe, but they should have at least done it in Ultimates for a while.

What a great idea!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The serum was breaking down in his system and he was losing the use of his body slowly.

First he used this weird suit thing

He put on the other suit when his body started failing. Then when he was at death's door the Red Skull had him kidnapped and gave him a complete blood transfusion (the Skull was living in a cloned body of Steve Rogers).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Are that pouches in front of his chest painted with the sides of the star?

Also why would the Red Skull give him a blood transfusion?

The Skull needed him for his plan to regain the Cosmic Cube. Hitler's "soul" was inhabiting the cube and the Skull needed Cap to kill him so he could use the Cube's full powers. It's Mark Waid's first Captain America story and it's awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They only good thing about AA was the nifty tribute covers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a new series called Young Guns or is that something because the people working on it are all newer Marvel artists and writers?

If its a new team, its weird that its pretty much the Uncanny Avengers mutants with Magneto.

"Young Guns" is what Marvel calls their yearly crop of new talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So he's Red Onslaught now?

• Locked thread