Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

WickedHate posted:

but I'm disappointed Indestructible Hulk ended on such a down note, quality wise.

I dropped it after ten issues, it became clear within the first three that it wasn't going to play into the larger MU in anyway meaningful way. Even if the "Stay Angry" evil Banner, Jason Aaron run was dumb, it was at the very least a new idea for the character. This felt like a holding pattern of Hulk/Banner is back to being on the side of the good guys but we don't want to do anything important with him so he's going to run around not really doing anything.

Going by the first issue here, this series isn't going to be any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I haven't read any new Spider-Man but I caught that Peter Parker is back, can someone summarize how the Superior storyline ended? Is Doc Ock gone for now or did he get a new body?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So you're reading Thor as a non-gender neutral name. You'd be fine if there was a female Captain America, but if there was a female Spider-Man she should be referred to as Spider-Woman to keep the correct gender signifier. Thor is the name of a man, therefore there should be a feminine name for a woman-Thor. Is that your argument?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Horrible Taste posted:

Thor has a lot of names:

"But I have many names, serpent, even as you. Vingthor the Hurler, Longbeard's Son, have I been called. Hrodr's foeman, too. In Tyr's ancestral home, wisest Hymir knew my name as Veur; unhappy Hrungnir's playmate some have called me. East of Elvigar in Gianthome they whisper Hloriddi's name. My father called me son. My mother called me darling. And beneath the vaults of Heaven, I am Thor Odinson, the Thunderer, Jormungand's Fear! "

- The Mighty Thor #379

God drat I really need to get around to reading Simonson's Thor. Just reading the synopsis for that issue makes it sound amazing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Arno? Is that the blonde-dyed scum brother from Ultimate Iron Man? Is he also a character in regular Marvel?

I had to go look this up as well. Apparently there's a 616 version kicking around now, and he and Tony are out doing stuff together. I haven't read an Iron Man book since before he ran off into space so I guess this is a thing now and they're going with it as opposed to a single arc. I guess after Gillen wrote a fairly forgettable run of X-Men and a footnote run of Journey into Mystery, he's aiming to leave a more permanent mark on the universe by creating a brother for Tony Stark?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Archyduke posted:

As far as I know his JiM run is almost universally beloved, and his X-Men run, while sort of brief, had a lot of fun bits, was pretty well-regarded, and sort of did a lot of important gap-filling and character work in the midst of AvX. Also his Young Avengers has a great big following, I don't think he needs to worry about his legacy at Marvel.

It was kind of a joke. I liked his X-Men run and his JiM run, however I do feel like if you were to go read a history of those comics both of those runs are things that will fall between the cracks of larger runs and only be remembered by hardcore fans, same as his YA run. Arno Stark is something that could become a more legacy character assuming that he's not killed or forgotten by the end of the run.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lazy is Bendis reading the internet to see who people think is behind his latest mystery then choosing a popular guess and making it the evil version of that character even though its completely out of character.

Lazy is not writing a teen character speaking in goofy online speak for a single throwaway panel that has no impact on the story that is being told by and large.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm sad that's no love for the issue where the New Avengers get attacked by the Thunderbolts as a message from the government while Joystick sneaks into Avengers Tower and gets her rear end kicked but manages to steal their files or something like that. I really liked the idea and way that played out. It was one of the better Hero vs Hero things at the time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

War of Kings, Realm of Kings, The Thanos Imperiative is the story of how the Shi'ar and Kree [Now run by the Inhumans] go to war, blow a hole into reality, and Cthulhuian horror heroes come through from a universe where Life has defeated Death. As you sort of pick up on reading the new run, it ends with Peter Quill and Richard Rider holding Thanos off in the Cancerverse as the hole closes to keep him from going back and wrecking poo poo. As far as everyone knew, Star-Lord and Nova died along with Thanos. Then basically out of nowhere Star-Lord and Thanos are back. It's not been uncommented on, even in story, but we won't get the answer until next month. All we know is that something happened and Quill and Thanos came back much later...and Richard Rider did not.

Kree and Inhumans have gone their separate ways again because Inhumans needed to come back to Earth...I guess because Hickman wanted them in FF and I guess maybe they knew Inhumanity was on the table at that point.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Infinity Revelation is amazing. Starlin is just so out there and wacky; it's awesome.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I wouldn't mind Luke Cage being a fairly "Black Dynamite" joke character. There's going to be enough brooding serious characterization between Daredevil and Iron Fist alone, I'd rather see him just being the light hearted jokester to Iron Fist's straight serious disciplined nature.

Dacap posted:

If anything I'm more curious about how the Iron Fist Netflix show will be handled. I wonder if they'll have the kind of budget that a K'un L'un story would require.

I'd guess they might not even bother to go there. While that's integral to the story in comics, K'un L'un could just as well be a Karate Dojo in Chinatown that has a dragon statue that comes alive and Danny's a student that fights it and the legend becomes real. While I love the mythos and would flip my poo poo if I ever saw a trilogy of The Immortal Iron Fist in cinematic form, for what they're trying to do with a street team here, I think it's in their best interest to stay away from as much of the larger universe as possible.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I've said it before, but doing a blacksploitation character ironically still leaves you with doing blacksploitation in 2014. Black Dynamite's really funny, but it's also a personal project by a black director.

So the same director couldn't take up Luke Cage and do a similar series but live action? I'm not saying it has to be completely over the top but I like the idea of having the next black marvel hero be humorous instead of another extremely serious character that we've seen from Fury, Deathlok, and Falcon.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Have you actually seen Captain America 2? I can't imagine anyone who has describing Falcon as EXTREMELY SERIOUS

Alright he had some not serious lines, but I have a hard time calling a guy who's main character point is "disillusioned middle eastern war veteran" a comedy character.

I also forgot about Don Cheadle, who they lightened up considerably in the third movie. My point was that the leader of the Heroes could be a fun loving Luke Cage who's teamed up with brooding vigilante Daredevil, I'm-not-serious-I'm-meditating Iron Fist, and pissed of former victim Jessica Jones; and it's Cage's job to lighten them all up and remind them that being a hero can be fun.

I guess another way to say it would be that I feel like Arrow is already doing a good job as a street level crime fighting hero show, and I think just seeing the marvel version of that would be boring.

Senor Candle posted:

How does it feel to live in a black and white world?

That's a nice over exaggeration of my opinion, but since I let the dog off the chain with some hyperbole I guess I deserve it.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 11, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

From that MTV article posted:

How and why the team ends up at the home planet of the symbiotes is something Bendis is keeping quiet at the moment. But he wasn’t shy about sharing his surprise that the famously overexposed character’s origin story had never actually been explored.

Read: I'm going to start the issue with them in the thick of it on the planet, I won't bother to explain how or why until 8 months from now when I toss it in as a punchline to a joke that someone says. I'm really excited to do the origin story because even though I am completely out of ideas it keeps me relevant by filling in a plot detail to something iconic that we really didn't need explained and in doing so I'll be ruining the mystique of...you're welcome.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The latest run of Young Avengers didn't do anything for me. I didn't like the art, the pairing of Kate + Marvel Boy, the Hulkling/Wiccan stuff, the terrible "evil parent from another dimension" storyline; the only reason I stuck with that book was because Miss America was a lot of fun and I was curious to see where he went with Loki(answer pretty much nowhere).

I did like the covers though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Can anyone here figure out what the gently caress is happening in Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier? Because I sure as poo poo can't. :psyduck: The art was really cool for the first few pages, but then Rudy goes loving bonkers and not in a good way. This is one of the most visually confusing comics I've ever tried to read. The dialogue and writing seem good, but holy poo poo I seriously just don't know what's happening on-panel like 40% of the time.

Yeah, that style confused the hell out of me too. It was unique and find the weird localea the book was going to but it was hard to tell which character was talking and at the end I'm not sure if that was supposed to be Nick Fury or Steve Rogers that shot Bucky.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This FF run is literally every earth-based FF run ever combined. Team breaking up and separated; Ben cut off from everyone and without his powers, Johnny living recklessly, Reed spending too much time in a lab then having to fight someone he wasn't prepared for, Sue being over protective of her children; legal trouble; Baxter building taken away; the god drat puppet master.

And meanwhile Doom just chillin' with his god daughter. I can only hope that shortly after the Puppet Master reveals himself; Doom smacks him aside and reveals it was all HIS plan. Then it will be a true FF story.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Black Bolt forces them to split up in Hickman's FF run.

My only complaint about that run. Their pairing was awesome and that seemed totally unnecessary.

ElNarez posted:

Erica Henderson and Ryan North on a Squirrel Girl ongoing. It's so good an idea for a book I have no idea why it took this long to happen.

Holy poo poo. To quote Marvel:Heroes "Come on Tippy-Toe, let's go!"

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sorry but that was an amazing moment.

Oh I agree, it was a great scene. It was just unfortunate to see them broken up in the overall scheme of things.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I can't speak to his comic work but the card game Machine of Death is a brilliant improv/storytelling game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

A Wanda/Pietro book could be pretty good. It comes down to the writer.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gynovore posted:

There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of (false) teeth. For many of the old-timers, Fantastic Four is Marvel.

I'm not that old, but Fantastic Four is what got me into comics and will always be my favorite. That said, Hickman owned that comic so hard that I'm not sad to see them taken off the main lineup a few years. I have to imagine that it's always been the least popular of the big titles compared to X-Men and Avengers. It's never been as hot as either of the other titles are now either. So I'm happy with them splitting up, having no comic titled Fantastic Four for a few years, let it simmer, let the characters make a bigger name for themselves in other comics, let the movies spawn another terrible attempt at a franchise, then in a few years bring it back to much fanfare and rejoicing. I'm not saying that FF have no place or that someone couldn't come along and write them really well again, but I feel like it's a property that isn't going to get hot with the masses while it's still in the spotlight.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I just hope they place Thing somewhere. Unlike Hawkguy I am a big fan.

I think there's a natural split of Reed going off with NA/Stark, Ben with the Mighty Avengers, Sue with the vanilla Avengers. Johnny could end up with Spider-Man as a supporting character, which I think would be pretty awful although it seems they've undone most of his post "death" character development anyway so that's probably better than him getting lost in the shuffle of some other team.

Edit: Thing had his own book for a decent run back in the day, possible he could carry one in this era for a while. They seem willing to give a lot of characters solo runs recently.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 10, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I hope Hickman is writing all these, that would be amazing. I imagine that someone not getting the praise Hickman gets yelling at him one day during a writers retreat "If you're so good why don't you remake a bunch of these events that people thought sucked and make them good!" Hickman nodded then immediately began sketching flowcharts and bubbles.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Can someone further along the spectrum identify which Infinity Gems those are?

Blue is Mind. Looks like the other one is Orange which is Time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Slow week next week but,
:siren::siren::siren:HICKMAN FF OMNI VOL 2:siren::siren::siren:

Put in my amazon order a few days ago. Can't wait. Also grabbed Moon Knight and the Avengers/NA hardcovers. I should have pulled the trigger on Original Sin too, oh well next order.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Goon posted:

I live in an area of the world where I have no access to floppies so it's digital or bust for me.

I live in Taipei,Taiwan. A place where technology is all over the place, and I see kids with iPads still going to the local 'library' to check out manga. I don't know where someone said printing costs are on the rise, but I think it's more likely that you're going to see "decentralized" printing.

I foresee the future being monthly digital sales with Print on Demand, licensed TPBs available in 2-3 delivered to your door via Amazon drone.

Question for Rhyno: have you, or anyone else who works/owns a store, done a write-up discussing the future of comic book stores in a frank and realistic manner? The only ones I've read are all "Comic stores are landmarks, gently caress Marvel/DC from trying to gut our industry with their digital revolution!"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Smartest female person in the universe is Valeria. Easy tie-in with Sue and you get cool moments where Valeria is casually amoral in her plans and then everyone argues over the morality/justification of their actions combined with what life lessons that is actually teaching a little girl.

I'd buy it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gatts posted:

Good point. I can't believe I forgot about Valeria. She'd be perfect.

I want a Valeria and Franklin adventure book so bad.

So mine would be Carol Danvers, Storm, Angela, Phoenix (replace her with Emma when she dies. HA!), Angela, Invisible Woman, Mystique, Scarlet Witch, Spitfire. Let Valeria be the one who makes the team and gives missions with funding from the Fantastic Four's b.s. I'd read that book. Emma might make for more fun reading and interaction and her diamond form can allow her to be in a fight.

In addition to Invisible Woman and Valeria I'd go with:

Faiza Hussain, a.k.a. Excalibur instead of Spitfire. I like having a different religious view on the team, and her powers are strong enough that with a writing boost they could be omega level. She also wields the sword Excalibur which is rad.

Carol Danvers is definitely on the team as field leader, and I'd throw someone pretty new like Smasher. Izzy is a new mom and a fairly new superhero; so I like the growth potential here as she learns how to be both from women like Carol and Sue.

I really like the Black Widow/Spider-Woman pairing in Avengers. I'd keep them because they'd be the closest to regularly working class people, who've been to the rodeo before, and have that "Once more into the breach, dear friends?" kind of thing going. They're the 'everyman' on the team and would ground the stories on occasion and have some fun jokes where needed. They're mostly background pieces but they fill in those in-between moments and have enough depth already that if you need them to step up to the plate they can handle the role.

I'd round it out with Magik instead of Scarlet Witch just to have someone who's a total outsider but also I think Valeria and Illyana on the same team has about a zillion easy storylines to write no matter which direction you take it.

tl;dr My final lineup for Women's Avengers Club

Invisible Woman - Susan Richards
Valeria Richards
Captain Marvel - Carol Danvers
Excalibur - Faiza Hussain
Smasher - Izzy Kane
Black Widow - Natasha Romanov
Spider-Woman - Jessica Drew
Magik - Illyana Rasputin

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 28, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Man, if you didn't like Squirrel Girl #1 I don't know what to tell you. That was a heck of a lot of fun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Great issue of Loki:AoA. Ewing is doing a really good job following up the Young Loki arc. It's kind of crazy to think that it's been 10 years since we had a Loki that looked like the Loki of 40 years previously. Either way that story really felt like it had some weight to it and things were important. Good stuff.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Skwirl posted:

That would be fine, as would Spider-Kid, but look up your loving American History.

You're right that it is a racial slur but I think its entered the common vernacular as more of a southern colloquialism than as just purely racist. Also it was used as a racist term against black men, so I don't think a lot of people would jump to the conclusion that its racist because I'd say a fair portion of people still consider teenagers young boys and not men.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

WickedHate posted:

It would still be super, super racist.

Calling someone who is a boy, a boy, is not inherently racist no matter what color their skin color is.

Calling a black man a boy in order to demean them and suggest that they cannot be men due to the color of their skin is racist.

It has a racist connotation when applied to black people as a racial slur, but changing his title to conform to a literal change in age is not racist. However I can see how people would find it offensive to the character to go from calling him 'man' in one book to 'boy' in another because that's an actual step backwards for the character. To call it a racist move is overreaching given the actual age of the character. If he was 20 yeah I'd probably agree. To my knowledge Miles is like 15 though, so you really gotta stretch to call it racist.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Miles is old enough that it's definitely not okay. Yeah, it's condascending racist bullshit to call a black teen "boy".

I'd argue that with terms that have different meanings it would definitely depend on the intent to determine if it's meant in a racist manner. friend of the family is a single definition word. Boy has a much more common use than the racist version and it's only used as a derogatory term in reference to someone over the age of 16(Wikipedia says 16-21 for coming of age) who is also a male and also black. I don't know Miles actual age but you feel its ambiguous enough to warrant the racism. However I'm not black, so if you're black and you're telling me this because you find it offensive then I wouldn't do it. If I was Marvel I wouldn't do it just because I think that's a backward step for the character, but I do think that it's not inherently racist to call a young male, who you'd refer to as a boy in all other situations, a boy; even if he's black unless you're doing it for the purposes of being explicitly racist and not as a statement of his actual age.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 26, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

mr.capps posted:

How tense where you when you wrote this post?

Meh, I lived in North Carolina and stuck my foot in my mouth plenty of times when it came to racism because I grew up in Oregon in a class with literally 1 black kid. There's a long history in the south of things that are racist that we never knew about on the west coast. The racism I encountered growing up was with Mexicans not blacks. Can't speak on behalf of black people, but I really don't think my black friends would have been offended by this, but if they think it is then that's good to know and let's not do it for that reason.

Skwirl posted:

Both Ultimate and 616 Peter Parker were 15 when they became Spider-Man. Miles Morales has been Spider-Man for several years. You might, might have an argument if Miles was still 13 and a brand new character called Spider-Boy, but it'd still be super awkward.

With Miles in 616 it is an almost certainty he'd need to change his name, it's believable that if the public(in 616) saw him swinging around with Spider-Man they would call him Spider-Boy based on the size difference. You could also argue they'd call him Kid Spider, Spider-Kid, New Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, but the name change makes sense were the worlds to collide and it has nothing to do with being racist. I don't think people in the 616 would stop and go "Wait, what if he's been called 'man' before and now we're demoting him to 'boy' and what if, because he's black we're also being racist?" Clearly if this is offensive enough to a couple people in this thread, then it's probably best to not go that route specifically for those reasons as there would probably be a large outcry of negativity on it in the mainstream if they did.

It is an interesting question though of what would/will they call him when he joins 616. They really seem to hate having 2 characters with the same codename running around at the same time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Did you literally just defend yourself by refering to "My Black Friends."

And in answer to your question, they should call him Spider-Man. If they kill Kaine (which I hope they don't) Scarlet Spider would be okay.

No, I was stating that if I was wrong I'd be fine being corrected by them. I was not using them to advocate my stance of being in the right.

They can't/won't call him Spider-Man as long as Peter Parker exists and is able to be Spider-Man. That's not happening. Thor is only not Thor because he's not worthy currently. Diddo for Captain America. There could be overlap between them but it would be temporary and everyone would just be waiting for the inevitable return of Peter with the name.

bobkatt013 posted:

Pete seems like he is an Oddjob kid of guy.

Johnny is clearly the Oddjob guy. Peter is the guy forced to use the klob and then mocked or being unable to beat Johnny.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 27, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You aren't in the right.

I worded that poorly. I wasn't trying to imply I was in the right. Let it go in the thread. I stated I am not the one who'll be offended by it and if others are then not using that term is then that's cool with me. If you want to write some words on why you strongly believe I'm in the wrong and I don't understand your position, feel free to PM me. It's a derail at this point so let's move it there.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm pretty negative on Bendis these days but his treatment of Angela has been good, I haven't read her series yet so I don't know if that's good or not.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest, I've seen how Marvel treats new characters once the creators leave, I'd loving smash my toys too.

It's not necessarily Marvel. There are a lot of creators who come onto series and literally thought "I'll ruin this character that everyone likes because gently caress it; I don't!" Sometimes just to spite the previous writer as well.

Also where the heck is Susan Storm and/or Valeria in that picture. This does not bode well for my beloved FF. Totally psyched to see Nico there though. Hope America Chavez makes it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah at least Sabretooth has Inversion as an excuse for why he's a good guy.

If I recall the initial premise of Daken was that he was raised by Romulus to be a bad guy and wasn't actually evil. More specifically he had just been told what a terrible guy his dad was and had been turned against Logan from an early age. So they sort of setup that Daken once he learned about the truth was going to become a good guy; then he just turned on Logan again and decided to start loving with Logan because I guess they needed a new Sabertooth having killed the other one around this time. Anyway, there was a natural arc to make Daken a decent person and they ended up not going that route because Bendis needed an evil Wolverine for Dark Reign or something; I dunno. He's a character that's been pulled in so many different directions that it's almost impossible to actually pin him down as anything concrete. In one story he's a mastermind who runs a criminal empire, in another he's a a petulant child who wants to get back at his dad, in another he's outwitting the FF and blowing himself up, and in yet another he's reformed the Brotherhood with the task of making Wolverine's life miserable. He's been written incredibly inconsistently since his inception, combined with his awful character concept makes him pretty dislike.

• Locked thread