Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Loose lips sink ships poo poo lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Right on the heels of the Xean meltdown, you broke the wiki?

Wiki is back up, was running some upgrade scripts and broke filesystem permissions.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Xean, if you are reading this, please fill out this form and submit it to any Dental, NoP, or Wesley member. We value your patronage. Thank you in advance.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

On behalf of Shutup Wesley

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

if you can't afford 2 galors, you should just kill yourself.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 29, 2015

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Nita posted:

Hey guys, I just want you to know that we're all responsible for gold sellers in STO:

Shh, don't tell anyone that my personal website is http://www.totsnothaxorzinyouraccount.cn

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

New video posted to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgRzvslKLY

"Starfleet Dental: Together Towards a Harmonious Tomorrow"

Thanks for everyone who came out to help me get this done.

Best music choice yet.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

It was a toss up between this song or "Where da Hood At" by DMX.

You made the correct choice.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Cyntalan posted:

Been a while since I've poked my head in here. Gotta get a refresher course. Can I get access to the wesley wiki? Username is Cyntalan.

Done.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

I was quite sure I had a third one from Everdraed bookmarked, but apparently I didn't. Shame.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Sevorast posted:

Alright, I got my care package (holy poo poo thank you) so I'm probably gonna do the same thing the other new guy did and sell one for some spending cash since I'm broke. Not sure what the hell I'm doing still in general, the game has so much more poo poo going on now than last time I played.

Went ahead and made an account on the Wesley wiki, name is Sevorast there same as here.

Wiki account approved.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Dermit posted:

I'm in the chat channel and I've gotten my care package (thanks a ton to whoever sends those, btw!) but I could still use a fleet invite and wiki access

Wiki username: Dermit

Serestria@dermita1 on federation side for fleetage. Thanks, you guys are very helpful :)

Wiki access granted.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Yeah I'm a queue to log in as well.

Salami just tweeted about the server queues.

"Sorry about the server queues, everyone! A lot of people are liking the new content!"

I'm sure that's the reason.

Well, at least from the numbers of people that launch the game from Steam the daily logins have tripled since the new content launched and I would guess that more people launch the game from the standalone client than Steam.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

We have a skull in our logo... Are we the baddies?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Jxforema posted:

is the wiki dead or is it just me?

It is down right now, our datacenter is getting hit with a massive DDoS attack. Should be back up once they mitigate the traffic.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Preechr posted:

This reminds me of when we started trolling in earnest and PVP'ing. Gunney, a pubbie shitlord of that era, only managed 73 damage, if I recall correctly. Not 73 DPS, but 73 over the course of a 15-0 space match.

I have another one, 2v4.

And if for some reason you think oh, pubs like ground better, they might actually not suck at that.

31 damage...

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 24, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Korgan posted:

hey if you want a good spaceship game try battlefleet gothic armada, it's only in beta right now but it is actually fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgu_fBlSjk

or you can stay with this I guess, don't let me boss you around

namaste

"Low rent Homeworld clone"

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Welp, not a secret anymore.

I ride that fucker gloriously.

You ride Xean dry and come back solo wet, all bare chested and poo poo.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Preechr posted:

S'alright, I hear you really turn 'em inside-out.

I cast bone swarm on this dead game's corpse.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Why do that when I can go for low hanging fruit like people posting while high and random idiots in D&D?

:dogbutton: I think you are actually being serious at this point.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Talk poo poo about Cryptic as a dev all you want to, since they do plenty of dumb, weird poo poo on their own, but a lot of the recent content output is probably the fault of the playerbase, because nobody who plays STO (and this includes goons) seems to actually know what they want from the game and we are all prone to hyperbole.

True way Cardassian faction that doesn't suck like the Romulan faction by getting rolled into the Federation or Klingon storylines. Actual "rebuild" the Cardassian way of life military story. That would make me play STO again.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Radical terrorism AND state sponsored! Pretty much everything from ISIS to North Korea.

Don't forget that we are all Hitler. He mass murdered over 600 Jews.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

lol i don't think we ever had a mailserver hooked up to the wiki.

I finally hooked up an outbound mail server a few months back during an upgrade of the web server. But the mails a lot of the time either get sent to spam or are undelivered.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Cutedge posted:

It's absolutely NoSQL. At one point they pushed a patch out that broke their references and they spent like a day of downtime fixing their referencial integrity.

No idea why you'd use a NoSQL db for a game like this. It's a huge pain in the rear end.
Wouldn't surprise me if everything was just serialized json blobs or something and that's why they can't ever update things already in the wild.

Very warm.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Apparently Cryptic rolled their own NoSQL db when they wrote Champions in 2007. :psyduck: With their own c-based query language. :psypop:

C macros.

Cutedge posted:

Actually, remembering STO's history, they didn't have a ton of time so it's all based on their Champions tech. From the timeframe it's probably not even JSON but XML.

The design has a similar look and feel to JSON but is custom and proprietary.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Cutedge posted:

Hardcore.

To be honest, the idea of writing my own database software has never even remotely crossed my mind. When I was at Sony they just used Postgre for everything. Although I'm sure if you went back to the EQ1 code they probably just had flat files, at least at some point.

Actually know about EQ1 DB as well. It was just flat txt files for every object and entity.

Should mention that CrypticDB is also just a single giant flat file and if and when it gets written out to disk is wrapped into a customized zip type of container. Because everything needs to be custom.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 24, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

What's UO like?

No idea.

But I would like to mention one more thing about STO and the cancer that runs the game.

Basically anything that is loaded client or server side uses the same format as the DB. UI for example, you have a .hogg file that is basically a zip file with a customized hacked up file stub. When you unpack a hogg file it contains a bunch of files, so for the UI you have a UIGen.bin that is a binary file with a custom packing format. If you unpack that .bin file you get a bunch of text files that are in the same JSON like format as the DB.

Map files have a manifest that is also in this format. You zone into a new map and it loads the manifest and it has the definitions of what the map file is, what shaders to load, skybox, et cetera; et cetera.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 24, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

Star Trek Online: We look for things, things that make us go troll.

FTFY

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

DancingShade posted:

drat denault troolsDewalt Tools.

If we keep this up they'll communicate entirely in ERP-pigin Engrish.

FTFY

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Nita posted:

Mr E7 Army sniper with a 500+ kill count including kids can snipe you from double the world record and has tried to commit suicide over 200 times but has 6 different sniper rifles. The rabbit hole, ladies and gentlemen, I have found how deep it goes.

obligatory copypasta posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

DancingShade posted:

All Starfleet Dental related medals are issued in pure elemental magnesium and worn during the victory champagne shower.

*Sizzle* Why does my chest and face feel like they are on fire?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

code:
when(IsBadAtCoding=TRUE);setIntValue("Bugs",curVal+1)
code:
while( badAtCoding != FALSE ) {
	bug++;
}

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 18, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

CassandraSaturn is completely nuts and there is never a lack of things to make fun of her about, but I don't think this is the hill that anyone should be trying to die on.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Hey folks, I played this when it first came out for about a month or two, looking to get back into it. I started an account on the wiki as Phanatic and I'm in-game as Dangleberry. Can I get access to the wiki and the chat?

genghispawn posted:

I suppose I'll need an invite to the wiki.

Auth'd for wiki.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

genghispawn posted:

Thanks. Registered as ghenghispawn

Auth'd

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Asimo posted:

I forget the exact details, but I think Atari had the license for D&D 4e video games but they were incompetent and sat on it and that's why we never saw a 4e BG/NWN-style game despite the system basically being perfect for it. But I guess they had Cryptic start some work on an MMO, and Cryptic inherited (or re-bought) the license when they got bought out by PWE who pushed to finish or something? And there it is.

It's a shame too since I think the core gameplay of it is actually really, surprisingly fun, even if the character customization and art direction and such is so horribly generic by Cryptic standards. It's just the cash shop bullshit is so comically blatant and punitive there's no reason to ever actually play it. I'm pretty sure the only goons who played it did so because they scripted the gently caress out of the DOFF-equivalents in the game over NWO's much more robust web portal, but that got nerfed into the ground months back. I mean just the inventory issue alone is so hilariously bad, you get like 20 slots or something but there's a billion different potions and materials and poo poo that drop (to feed into the equally exploitative RNG-heavy item upgrade stuff) and buying inventory space is like fifteen loving dollars and a single character unlock. Then there's poo poo like the companions (the big ticket buy, kinda like STO ships) being way overpriced, having massive cash sinks to make them useble, and also being single character unlocks... :psyduck:

I mean for all we rightly bitch about how poo poo like new ship tiers and the upgrade system ruined STO, it's simple and cheap and generous and welcoming in comparison. NWO is so badly set up it's amazing it's even by the same company, and I imagine PWE hosed around a lot with it during development.

Neverwinter Online was originally a 4 player lobby based co-op game by Cryptic/Atari. When Cryptic got bought by PWE they renegotiated to turn the license from single player/co-op to an MMO. Also the core gameplay in Neverwinter Online was 500% more fun during the pre-alphas, it was even more active with lots of spells and abilities allowing you to move while casting, red zones being not as plentiful but faster to fire off and more deadly and many of the spells and abilities had cross class modifiers (ex. If a cleric buffed the group, some Guardian Fighter skills did many times more damage).

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It was possible to list things at negative prices on the marketplace and create stacks of cash out of nothing

Reported a related issue in STO about a year prior. In STO it actually gave the person selling the items money to the person buying.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

hakimashou posted:

I eat so many t6 connie i get iodine poisoning

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Preechr posted:

poo poo, someone find those Branflakes/Iraqi Information Minister memes from a few years ago, imgur ate mine.

Exploitable original.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Nymix posted:

Logged onto the wiki and it seems the CSS is completely borked (at least for me). Is it happening for anyone else?

MREBoy posted:

Wiki is hosed up for me too

MeatloafCat posted:

I noticed the same thing but I get that sometimes on wiki sites so I though it was just my computer. Maybe someone needs to reroute the CSS conduits through the positronic matrix chamber and reverse the phase polarity of the hypertext dampeners?

Fixed the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Huh guys my dick worked for about three days and now it doesn't? drat it I was half way.

• Locked thread