Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How did the UAW end up organizing TAs?

I mean, and education is a lot like a car because you need to change professors' oil regularly but aside from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So, serious news. Apparently some businessman from Washington bought the Clips. I for one am terrified, and having nightmares of a time when the Clippers go north and the Lakers get repossessed by Minneapolis.

It'll be our football teams all over again.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Right now, apparently 55% of the population owns their own home, while ~44% rents. However, only 12% of homeowners own their homes free and clear. The remainder are mortgaged; who knows what the conditions of their loans are.

Source: http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demographic/state_census_data_center/census_2010/documents/2010SF2_Profile_California_Race001.pdf - Page 6

Page 7 also has some interesting numbers on age group vs. ownership/rentership.

edit: Oh god, this seems apropos of nothing now. Ignore or whatever.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Not to distract from the Bay Area, but has anything interesting gone down recently in Southern California/the LA area? I don't hear much politics talk outta my old HS friends and my family's too new-agey for (ugh) politics.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I thought with our new primary system we've actually had a few Dem-on-Dem races?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

People who want more guns in CA and don't care if they're legal or not? I could imagine some libertarian and drug-industry support. Maybe Hell's Angels, too.

^: Oh god, I'm dumb.

Think Yee's gonna have a name-conflation problem? We're at least marginally better informed than the general public and still at least two people here confused her with Leland.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So stock up on gasoline and assless chaps. Spiked shoulder-pads optional.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does all this free-range, no-caging business have a positive environmental impact outside of the individual critter's well-being? Because all it means is that a bird is happy I couldn't give a drat, but if it results in less nasty poo poo ending up in aquifers then I'm all for it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Scenario: you're walking down the street and see a kid torturing a squirrel. The animal is clearly suffering but the kid is having a lot of fun.

What do you do?

Squirrels are a pest, so it's probably a net good that the squirrel's gonna die. There's no reason to torture it, though. Torturing small animals for fun can be a sign of some kind of psychological disorder, sociopathy or something. I'd probably not let any of my relatives associate with that child, just to be safe, and probably let the kid's parent know that their kid was doing that.

Now, if the kid was a reliable source of cheap squirrel meat and the torture was demonstrably making the meat cheaper, I'd let it slide.

If his practices are causing a rise in squirrel-borne illnesses in the community, then clearly something has to be done.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pomp posted:

You're a terribly selfish person.

Because I care more for humans than animals, and more for my relatives than humans in general?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So why don't we go after these root causes instead of focusing on a bunch of drat chickens?

I've seen the criminal justice system firsthand, and even in the better parts of CA, it's racist as all hell and overly punitive. Black guys and latinos were doing 5 months on a first offense for things I'd never even get prosecuted for, and that's not even mentioning the lovely plea bargains a bunch of them took. But forget the guys in County, let's focus on making sure cows have enough room to run around.

I've got cousins and uncles and aunts who are facing deportation because of petty bullshit, and we're going to focus on a bunch of livestock?

It's absolutely infuriating to me that the people of this state seem to have prioritized livestock over human beings.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

We get it, you don't care if animals are tortured. I think you're just frustrated to see laws dealing with things you don't care about, while things you do care about aren't being addressed. We all feel that frustration at times, but it's just a fallacy to argue that we have to stop doing this thing you don't care about, in order for this other thing you do care about to be addressed.

You're right. I just got a little wound up and decided to play that point to its extreme. I'm currently living in a weirdo green-conservative cultural mileu (Redondo/Manhattan Beach people have some pretty weird ideas), so I have to deal with people who are gung-ho in favor of animal rights while being actively hostile towards the issues I care about (prison reform, labor rights, ease of immigration). It's made me irrationally hostile towards those more moving-space for livestock initiatives. I'll try to be less knee-jerk in the future.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CALIFORNIA MUST BE NERDENFREI

EIN VOLK, EIN REICH, EIN MOONBEAM

CALIFORNIA UBER ALLES

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Teflon Don posted:

Just move to San Diego. :greencube:

I'll starve on the street in Lawndale before I'll live on the western tip of Arizona!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Nuke all California just to be on the safe side.

I heartily agree. All this Greenie bullshit is stopping us from achieving cheap-as-poo poo power with modern, clean, safe fission power plants all over the coast. It's a drat shame they're closing/have closed(?) the San Onofre plant.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Didn't that area go up in a wildfire like 10-15 years ago? What happens if we get one before they cap the thing?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Surprisingly she doesn't say.

Her statement reads like a strange mix of neo-conservatism and Peace and Freedom style liberalism.

Is she from Humboldt or parts nearby? I got that kind of impression from the place.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pomp posted:

eat the rich

this is California, duder. Extract their fluids.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Just out of curiosity, what would statewide single-payer look like, and could we achieve it before my lovely joints start giving up on me?

I know it's a pipedream, humor me please.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

cheese posted:

Ahhhh yes, the old "lets just increase car capacity" plan, except modified this time its computer controlled smart cars being packed more tightly onto existing lanes instead of adding more traffic lanes. A plan that, in the history of automobile travel, has worked exactly never.

Yes but it clearly will this time because,

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Drive into LA on the 110 and when you get to that part where there are a bunch of bridges over you, every bridge is filled with tents. It's depressing and frightening. There but for the grace of god, you know?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

It's slightly slower than air travel if you only count air travel as the time between the plane leaves the ground and when it touches down.

To be fair, you've got to consider transit to the HSR station for train journeys. For me, that's either 30-50 minutes in a car (and money spent on long term parking near Union Station), or about an hour and a half and $1.75 for a bus ride to the green line, taking the green line to the blue line, taking the blue line to the red line, and taking the red line to Union Station. I'd probably pick the second option for cost reasons, but I've also only ever traveled to SF once in 28 years.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It seems like the Olympics is just a big, pointless boondoggle nowadays, especially after Sochi and Rio. Let's pass on the whole drat thing and let the French deal with it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Where did you get the impression that he was doing that?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I was assuming some fire department/state agency was going to do this, not some goober with a gas can and a BBQ lighter dude.

Oh, so you're one of those statists who thinks only the government can stop wildfires. :rolleyes:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

themrguy posted:

I for one am fine with the decades old underwater tunnel being maintained every night. I like not dying in total darkness surrounded by screaming people.

That money could be better spent on water management in southern California. I propose we sell off BART to finance more water pipes from norcal aquifers to Los Angeles lawns. Did you know that during the drought we could only water our lawns at NIGHT? Absolutely barbaric.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Don't want to sound dumb here but was Ahn bad or is this just a congrats to Gomez? I wish I knew more about that election. I'm automatically biased against Ahn because of his real estate background, but that probably isn't fair.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Use a cloth or a plastic loofah.

Lol if you use anything other than dial soap (4 for 99 cents at the 99 cent store) and your own fingernails to scrape the filth from your body.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Pulling over a bus

You don't read very well, do you?

Panfilo posted:

Also keep in mind that a person with a class B license is held to a higher standard- they get 1.5x as many points for moving violations, and that is even if it occurred when they were in a regular Honda Civic when it happened.

Panfilo's contention is that they can get hosed over while driving their personal vehicles.

It's in the first line of what you quoted when you decided to go tilting at windmills or whatever the gently caress

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

oops

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol just got an email of this video by eric bauman in which he calls for universal health care..... at the federal level only

https://www.facebook.com/cadems/videos/10154695011503317/

burn down the california dem party imo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

snyprmag posted:

But if we find a way around those and we do get UHC then even more people will want to move here.

You have now turned me against single payer. Not really but how is even more people driving down wages and driving up rents a good thing

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Tell me, how exactly would you deal with this situation:
:ca:: "We have instituted single payer! Sick people will have their medications paid for by the state now, guaranteed! And we're going to get a big discount, because we are big and special."
Sick People: "Hooray!"
:ca:: "Big pharma, we want you to give us the drugs we promised at a big discount! Because we are big and special!"
Pharma: "No. You are going to pay market rates with our small volume discount."
:ca:: "No, we are only going to pay big discount rates. We said so."
Sick people: "Where is the medicine you promised us we could have?"

I like how you are arguing the state of california in this

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Scheduled surgery could largely solve this problem if the industry gave a poo poo. There's very few excuses: it's scheduled in advance, they know how much time you'll be on the table (usually) and yet...mysteriously...they keep working these docs (and nurse anesthesiologists) on these incredibly long shifts. Because they don't care.

Nobody is saying a tired doc should walk away from the operating table halfway through.

Hey, this concerns me directly because I'm having a surgery soon. Should I skip the anesthesia and just chug a bottle of jack Daniels before they get the knives out?

Asking for a friend

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

or you know maybe the cops and the da should know how to do their jobs idunno

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I don't think anyone has ever supported California seceding in this thread homie

that's what them california pinkos believe now, apparently

you heard it from that guy first

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

so you're saying it's less leaving and more kicking the other states out? i mean, secession has been pretty thoroughly settled but iunno about expulsion.

e: being flippant, I do not support CA leaving the union

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see what's so hard about this: if you did something Really Bad™ then it becomes okay to fabricate evidence for the sentencing hearing to make sure you get the maximum penalty.

How do we know if what you did is Really Bad™ and it's time to sentence you with fake evidence? Easy that's up to the DA to decide!

*This is what Americans actually believe

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I grew up in the tip of Idaho ama

What are there more of: Mormons or white supremacists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

i was unpleasantly exclusionary to the mormon white supremacists

apologies all round!