Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Greg12 posted:

environmental justice and equity demand that we urban renew white neighborhoods to make way for the cities we need

single dwellings are blight; bring on the bulldozers.

in SF's case those western neighborhoods are over 50% asian

used to be turbo whitey land, but not for a few decades now

also a lot of those single family homes in SF have additional in-law units on the ground floor, so they have more than one family living in them. But why have just two households on that lot when you could have more :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Granny flats are the loving pits. My now wife lived in one. No internet hookups, wasn’t allowed to have a subtenant despite it having two bedrooms, landlord showed up regularly with no notice to access the water meter and breaker, etc. You have reduced rights as a tenant because you’re technically living in someone else’s single family house.

Kenning posted:

Those in-law units loving suck. I was looking for housing in Daly City a couple years ago and toured a few of them. One or two were pretty decent, and several were dank cramped pits. I've got a friend living in the Sunset right now who's in one of three ground-floor in-law units that are each less than 200 sq. ft. It's not a good way to live, to say nothing about how the upstairs landlord might conceive of their rights to control the affairs of their tenants.

Yeah i know they suck i used to live in one lol. Negligent creep landlord, lovely DIY wiring that would shock me, got flooded with sewage twice, nonstop mouse and rat problems, and every other unit in the building were Air BnBs that often had disrespectful guests (love it when people piss out of the window and pile garbage in the hallway and stomp on the floors at 5am lol)

My point was that when it comes to single family homes in SF, a ton of them are not actually single family homes.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I'm in Park Merced. The development plan has approval for 5,290 new units, mostly in new towers, over about 25 years now. These units are approved, but permits have not been issued. I think they've got funding problems. The first wave of new towers is supposed to include a pair on open space next to my building. Construction was supposed to start two years ago and they haven't even done a final survey. Post-Covid I doubt they get funding to break ground. I'd lose my view due West from the fire escape (gorgeous at Sunset), but having some light retail and a couple of restaurants next door would be nice.

drat that sucks, seeing as we need all the housing we can get. At least you still have your sunset view for now though.

I used to live near there, but moved to Oakland 5 years ago, and haven't been by park merced since. I remember reading back then how construction was just about to start...i figured they must have built at least a couple of the smaller midrises by now.

fuckin america lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

droll posted:

Have you ever eaten In n Out fries? "Crispy" is not the definition of the default fry they serve.

get them well done

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

I can't believe how many people belong to the cult of the lovely burger.

lol :qq:

luminalflux posted:

still inferior to mcdonalds fries

true but theyre still good that way

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol 538

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/grow-sf-new-tech-group-aims-to-promote-moderate-ideals-to-political-newcomers/

I cant believe Chesa Boudin ordered antifa to increase the crime rate and spread covid everywhere and then antifa dared to try to remove racist names from schools when will this communist madness end wow thanks bernie bros

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

confused posted:

if a crazy person starts doing crazy things the reaction with be swift and strong.

lol

:smugdon:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

Idaho is chud central.

As far as I can tell, the population is 80% retired cops.

yellowstone supervolcano, do ur job

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

gently caress you gavin

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Arnold fuckin sucked

But he's also the terminator commando dude and hes buff and has a funny accent and likes to make twitter videos saying donald tarp is a dumbass and people like that.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

:d2a:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

gently caress you london

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol there are more dogs than people under 18 in sf

it's same in Denver and Seattle and probably some other cities

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol this state worships wealth more devoutly than the most pious religious community

yes, also every other state does too lol

:911:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 29, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Seph posted:

Missions are aesthetically nice (as are some plantations) which is why people have weddings there. They're thinking "my wedding photos are going to look great here!" not "I can't believe the atrocities that happened over 200 years ago here." Of course, they absolutely should care about the historical context of the venue, but that's not the world we live in unfortunately.

Yes and other people have weddings there because they're racist and like the idea of colonizing places and enslaving/murdering people.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

"you take the 69 freeway" gets shortened to "you take the 69"

"you take freeway 69" gets shortened to "you take 69"

it all makes sense, unlike the enemies of big taco bell

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CPColin posted:

We'll solve that by having no affordable housing

Don't be silly, we will build plenty* of affordable housing, all of which will require tenants to be vetted by a bunch of fancy libs/chuds, and half of which will require tenants to be elderly or veterans, or some other restrictive qualifier. And the other half will be for rich people instead of extremely rich people. We need to think of ordinary everyday working folks with six figure incomes. Also, homeless concentration camps are a form of affordable housing too, stop being so dishonest sir.

*not plenty

Rah! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 21, 2022

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What's up with the SF school board recall? It seems to be bankrolled by rich technolibertarians.

It's a right wing op

Some rich people are really mad about a new admissions policy that allows minorities and poor people (aka the majority of students in the SFSU) equal access to the most exclusive public school in SF, and they're also mad about removing racist names from schools, and are also mad about schools being closed due to the pandemic, so they're spending poo poo tons of money to try to convince everyone that the school board needs to be recalled.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

most of the population of the city is tourists, homeless, and working class people forced to commute from hours away so on paper it's very prosperous, since none of those people have an SF address and so don't count as real. Let me find the SF chronicle article from like 2013 where the city council invited an unofficial UN inspection and they said the living conditions rivaled some of the worst slums in the world lol.

Yeah there are lots working class people that commute from far away, but there are also lots of working class people that live in SF city-proper. 60% of SF residents rent, and 60%-70% of those rental units have rent control (so 300,000+ SF residents have it), and there are also 30,000 people living in public housing and probably another 10,000-20,000 living in lovely SROs. That's a lot of not-rich people, who live in SF itself, that often get completely ignored when people are talking about SF. The city isn't just tech bros, tourists, and homeless people lol

If i remember right, that UN study was a nation-wide thing, but the places they looked at included SF (the Tenderloin), and the UN dude concluded that America is full of terrible living conditions that you would expect to see in the developing world. SF also has some of the most run-down public housing in the nation, according to HUD reports from the 1990s and 2000s. A lot of people don't expect that kind of poo poo in SF because of fancy houses and pretty bridges and mark zuckerberg or whatever.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2022

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

don longjohns posted:

I feel this sense of impending doom.

USA

USA

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Nice to see that LA has some good news in local politics when the Bay is maintaining its status as a neoliberal political nightmare.

It's not all roses in the LA area, and it's not all bad in the Bay Area. For example Orange county's chud DA won reelection, and Alameda county had some ok people win DA and supervisor races.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mirello posted:

I don't think a single angeleno or oc person would refer to the OC as LA area. overall, LA did pretty well in this election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mirello posted:

also enjoy the guy who tried to tell me that the oc is part of LA by linking the wiki of greater LA metropolitican region.

I said "LA area" you ding dong lol. Orange county is a part of the LA metropolitan area.

America Inc. posted:

There's essentially one urban area from New York to Washington DC but that doesn't mean they're all the same city. I definitely see LA and OC as two different places.

If someone from OC is talking to a non-Californian what do you think they will say, "I'm from LA" or "I'm from SoCal"?

Orange county is part of the LA metropolitan area. NYC and Washington DC are not in the same metropolitan area. Downtown LA is only 20 miles from Orange county, while NYC and DC are 200 miles apart.

My replies were to someone implying that it's wrong to associate a suburb with a central city (it's not!), and to this post:

Kenning posted:

Nice to see that LA has some good news in local politics when the Bay is maintaining its status as a neoliberal political nightmare.

Which compares the Bay ( a metro area) to LA. So it's fair to assume that by "LA", they mean the "LA metro area", and not the city of LA, because to compare a single municipality to an entire metro would be a bad comparison.

The Bay Area did not have entirely lovely elections, and the LA metro area did not have entirely good elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

jetz0r posted:

It's 2022, there are still 0 usable miles of high speed rail in California, connecting no people to no people.

Yeah you can't use a rail system that's under construction.

sb hermit posted:

Because high speed rail was going to fail regardless

It's still being built, so it's weird to say it's failed. It'll serve a ton of people, and be fast, and trains are cool and good. I bet it'll see lots of use.

Some construction sites from the initial operating segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKacS7HuRsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO-OCqb8up0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVT7GEfLNJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcGt8eKTlNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adJx0nG2rbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FL8SOhx0p8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgY5fQq3ew

The segment going to San Jose has recently been approved as well, and Caltrain electrification (needed to complete HSR to SF) is underway and should be finished in a couple years. Also, the state just gave the project $4.2 billion. But yeah true, America sucks and poo poo gets built slowly, and expensively.