Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Rogue Elephant posted:

Get you some playoff hockey, son.

We can all learn from this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I may be a bit biased though because this game against the Lions 2 years ago loving owned.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320923010

So began one of the most atrocious stretches of special teams play in NFL history.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

I don't know what was more "Schwartz", the last half of the 2013 season or the entire 2012 season. Goddamn were they an undisciplined mess. Thankfully now we have a non-hothead coach who won't discipline.

e:

Sweeney Tom posted:

Was it the Thanksgiving game when the returner took a knee at the four-yard line? Because that stretch peaked at that point.

Same season, different period. The game you're referring to was I believe week 16 against Atlanta. What I was talking about was when they had consecutive games where they gave up both a kick return and a punt return for touchdowns.

e2: Holy poo poo, apparently 2012 was the year of the big play against Detroit. Just from a quick glance of their Wiki page of that year, the defense gave up touchdowns of: 71, 61, 70, 77, 81, 42, 41, 44, 40, 60 yards. They also surrendered 10 return touchdowns either on special teams or an offensive turnover.

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 1, 2014

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Ramadu posted:

I think this is sorta silly especially when applied to basketball to hate on someone for. I may not like the Heat but I can still root for Lebron to do sick dunks on fools and for JR Smith to shoot all the shots. Basketball is way different in that regard because theres only 5 dudes on the court at a time instead of like 20 in football.

Also dunks. Free the Phoenix Suns.

Did the NFL seriously push the draft back for that dumb movie to come out? I feel like I don't care at all about the draft because it's been so long.

The problem here is that you're watching the NBA.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Suggesting that people watch the NBA is just mean-spirited. Watch hockey or baseball or an old Simpsons rerun. NBA basketball is bad for you.

Also :lol: at Doltos getting probated on what is essentially his Christmas morning.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

Cool I'm watching Calvin Johnson's future happen.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

The title alone of Monday Night Jihad is better than anything written in Kluwe's book.

Also, Elam wrote this with his pastor.

Lamadrid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc5ZKGfyc8w

Patton and the sklar bros read some excerpts

This is so great. Thanks for posting.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Danny LaFever posted:

He has it all. Including my heart.

Not a QB alive is better at killing kegs and having a smoking hot fiancee.

#staffInfection

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Dexo posted:

*Throws Sidearm into Triple Coverage*

if (target == "Megatron")
play.outcome.completion == true;
else
{
play.outcome.completion == false;
play.outcome.interception = true;
}

edit i r good at coding. Though I suppose my initial code is more accurate

-1 missing set of braces

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

anime gently caress pillow posted:

If they did move to LA, I assume Oakland fans would by and large stick with the franchise, right?

Why wouldn't they be? It will only be a matter of time until they're back.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

It's Miami guys, Miami is the worst sport town.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

What the gently caress is he talking about?? The only say he had in the matter would be to pull a Bo Jackson.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

SlipUp posted:

He could have refused to sign and had his pick of a dozen teams who would have eventually given him a monster contract. Maybe a mil here or there doesn't matter all that much for the kinda crazy multimillionaire???

If you're talking about Suh being drafted, I'm pretty sure that isn't how it works. IIRC, his draft rights remain with the team until the next draft at which point he's eligible to be drafted again. What you're describing would basically make the draft and especially the new rookie wage scale obsolete if players just could wait a little bit and be free to sign with anyone.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it goes something like that.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

commy gun posted:

Jeez, was Percy Harvin THAT important?

I laughed way harder than I should have at that.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

SlipUp posted:

Yet it happened this very decade!

I mean, all of this is true, sure. But do you see the Detroit lions sitting on the best defensive prospect of the draft (maybe ever depending who you asked at the time.) for a year just to see him go with nothing to show for it in return? For what, spite, pride? Someone would've been willing to trade for him or draft him next year. They would've taken anything over nothing.

Who are you referring to?

Could it happen? Sure. Would it? I really don't know, but we have yet to see that situation play out. So it's not like players are forcing a teams hand as they please right out of the draft.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Matt Millen: 0-16, 0 playoff appearances.

That's all you need to know.

SlipUp posted:

I was replying to your comment highlighting the absurdity of a player bombing his workouts to be drafted by a better team. I assume the motivation to not do that is how much money would be lost.

Who are you referring as having bombed their workout to play for a team they wanted to?

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 21, 2014

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Like I get that he was bad, but the Bucs match both of these things at different times, or would if they were allowed to play 16 games. They obviously weren't making the playoffs during the streak I posted about.

I glanced at the Lions while Millen was around, it's very very bad but probably not as bad. Mainly because of Megatron and the Fords finally firing him.

The Fords extended him before they fired him :(

I get that TB was bad, but there's just something so awful about it being your team and you really not knowing anything other than being a laughing stock.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

bewbies posted:

I had a couple of cousins who were this exactly and both said that their NFL experience was a really valuable thing to have. Instant talking point in interviews, makes you stand out as a candidate, etc. Most people don't have any experience at that age anyway so it wasn't a huge disadvantage. Granted they both went to Ivy league schools...that probably helped, and they both only tried for 2 years.

For random "communications" major from Nutbag State who spent 4 or 5 years chasing the dream that stuff probably doesn't hold as true.

I don't know man, I think saying that you went to Nutbag State would certainly make you stand out as a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Update: still have not run into johnny Manziel at any Cleveland bars

Any updates, Dogg?

• Locked thread