Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Esroc posted:

That dude was basically a racist.

StarTrek.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Anyway, sometimes i don't see the ending of RotJ as a happily ever after ending. The empire supposedly spans the galaxy and they probably have a bunch of divisions and other star destroyers, so i imagine a galaxy wide civil war is just waiting to happen now with a bunch of leaderless Imperial commanders now going to act as independent warlords with their own star destroyers. The military hierarchy was already so f'ed up with each commander acting on it's own whim (see: star destroyers crashing into each other trying to catch the falcon instead of any kind of concerted action).

This exact scenario is the major plot framework for a number of god-awful (some sort of decent) Expanded Universe books.

Falukorv posted:

The Empire are kind of poo poo at strategy, they can't combine forces to svae their lives. Like on Hoth, in a wolrd with hovering vehicles and space ships they use walkers that are slow, can be tripped and can only shoot from a narrow angle right in front of them. Amazing how the attack pattern delta includes flying in front of that narrow space, done right they shouldn't have lost a single speeder to those walkers.

I mean, an Empire which has resources to build a space center the size of a moon, can't spare a couple of fighters on Hoth? They would be massively useful on Hoth against speeders, combine that with TIE bombers to bomb the shield generator. And they had a star destroyer right above Hoth which houses fighters, so they were there. They couldn't spare bombers on Hoth, but can afford to send them to bomb countless asteroids in the search for the Falcon?

You can blame the shield generator and good old fashioned arrogance for that! (Also TIE fighters are poo poo in atmosphere. Look at them.)

Though your general thrust is correct, the Empire under Palpatine was dumb, dumb, dumb.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Taeke posted:

drat, I had forgotten about that. Again, say what you will about World War Z, but at least zombies ignoring ill people and the 'cure' being giving everyone an incurable but not actually lethal disease is more original and better than the standard poo poo you see all over.

Haha, loving nope. It was way, way loving worse than the smaltziest "I found a safe haven and true luv and it turns out my dog Sprky lived and he's here in our rugged Utopia" because while that ending is just overly sweet, Lindelof is just insulting stupid.

The reasoning behind them ignoring sick people doesn't stand up to more than half a second of scrutiny; what does it matter if someone has terminal leukemia when their throat gets ripped out and they rise as a walking corpse? Throat-ripping or [insert fatal disease] ends up with the same reanimated corpse.

Then on top of that they have to be granted a super sweet Detect Fatal Sickness template bonus on top of that within like a 50 foot cone so they aren't attacking the wrong sort of people.

I mean reanimatecd corpses that require headshots is one thing, but once they get super-sickness detecting powers that make no sense they might as well fly and breath fire, right?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You say this like as though zombies make any kind of sense to begin with. This is why I hate "realistic" zombies. They're not realistic. At all. Saying it's a virus instead of magic makes it less believable, not more, because we know about viruses and they absolutely can't do that. Magic can do anything.

The problem isn't 'realism' its internal logical consistency. The central conceit of 'it needs a healthy host to spread' falls apart when Sal, the 10-pack a day smoker who can't climb a flight of stairs, gets his throat ripped out and then his undead corpse starts doing parkour at the Olympic level. It obviously doesn't need a 'healthy' host because the zombie effect turns every corpse into a super-athlete regardless of 'health' while alive. (Did I mention that I hate 'fast' zombies?)

Once the premise falls apart, we have to ask ourselves "If the health of the victim is obviously immaterial, why would the zombies avoid the terminally ill?" The answer, of course, is because Lindelof is a hack and wanted a lazy way to provide for a cheap way out for the hero and ham-fisted 'drama' with 'hard choices' that only arise with the most ham-fisted contrivances a script-writer can produce.

muscles like this? posted:

Somebody actually thought that ending it on a cliffhanger where the zombies are all still around and Pitt doesn't get back to his family was a good idea. This wasn't just a script either, they actually filmed all that stuff before Damon Lindelof, who they brought in after terrible test screenings, watched the original version and told them it sucked.

The real mistake was letting Lindelof do re-writes for them. The man should be barred from writing, as he has some kind of reverse Midas touch where everything he touches turns into an illogical mess where nothing connects with anything else.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Why is it that the people who whine about "plot holes" are always the ones who fail to understand the most basic plot points that are explained to the audience directly in the movie?

I know that characters in the movie say it, but what happens on-screen contradicts what they say. Obviously the characters are written to be mistaken in that instance or its just a bad script. (Its the latter.)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

The Mentalist isn't magical powers... at least I don't think it is. The main character used to be a TV show psychic and uses his abilities from cold reading to manipulate people into confessing to crimes.

More like he uses bad writing to luckily stand in front of the bad guy and then absolute dickishness to force a confession from them.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Now, I only watched the first episode of The Mentalist but unlike Psych where they explain where Shawn gets all his clues, The Mentalist guy would just say stuff and people would go "wow, you're right!"

It could have just been a first episode thing but it was enough to make me not want to watch the show.

I saw an episode or two with my parents, who love the show. The episode I remembered most clearly went like this.

:cop: Looks like an open and shut case, Mentalist. Guy comes home to find a burglar strangled his girlfriend!

:jerkbag: Huh - can I have a few minutes alone with this athlete-guy?

:j: Sure! All cops and crime scene guys get out, let this not-cop not-psychic work!

*Seconds later*

:jerkbag: So I'm going to walk through the crime scene, touch everything, and eat peanuts while asking you really annoying poo poo.

:downs: I totally loved her.

:jerkbag: Yea I bet. Is that a safe? Got guns inside? Please, potential murder suspect, put weapons in your hands.

:downs: I didn't kill her.

:jerkbag: Yeah, I'm sure! Let me point some things out that are totally coincidental and in no way shape, or form constitute unshakeable proof. An attorney you can afford would tear my baseless theories to shreds.

:downs: Really, I didn't kill her.

:jerkbag: Still got the gun in your hand? Good! I'm going to provoke you with highly aggressive accusations, purposefully turning this already emotional situation into a highly volatile one!

:downsgun: Aw poo poo, I'm gonna shoot somebody!

:cop: Holy poo poo why did you make him so mad and bring him outside and poo poo he has a gun!

:jerkbag: Its cool, I put peanuts in his gun so I would look super smart and cool!

:downsgun: Oh really? Well I had a backup gun the whole time! PEW PEW!

:cop: Aw poo poo I'm shot and now dead!

:downsgun: Aw poo poo the other cops shot me dead too!

***Back at the office with the boss***

:raise: Mr. Mentalist, the local cops are sort of peeved that you clusterfucked that investigation and put one of them in the grave! You'd better go to the other side of California for a few days while this blows over. After all, everyone forgets a cop's death within a week, especially if it was caused by the ego-stroking actions of a total rear end in a top hat!

Later in the show he magically got a flat tire in front of the real murderer and wrings a confession out of him with bad writing cold reading!

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jul 24, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

You want to tell your kids about sex and bird sex, that's fine. That's not even what I have the issue with.

I rewatched it again, but Happy Feet has a bunch of really weird poo poo in the beginning intro.

If you had seen The Pebble and the Penguin you would not be complaining about the hosed-up sexualized dance numbers in Happy Feet.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

That does seem weird though and not like being gay at all. People don't hate people who are born gay but accept people who got turned gay by science, magic, or cosmic space rays.

"You're just an innocent victim, son. Nobody could have forseen that rampaging herd of rainbow glitter space unicorns what made you gay! Don't you despair though, son, we still remember the perfect little hetero boy you were - we'll never forget! Use your new queer powers for good....redecorate our house!"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

In Miami Vice, the side lights on the go-fast's are different colors. As in, you see two boats in one shot from the port side, and one is red and one is green. So they had to take a boat, and do the work to swap the lights out just because...I have no idea...why?

The side lights are supposed to be different colors - its part of the marine regulations so at night you can tell how a boat is oriented in the dark.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

theironjef posted:

Why sure writers have! You know that thing where they fumble with the keys and then drop the keys and then have to reach really hard for the keys and then fumble for the right key and then are too shaky to put the key in the ignition? That's the other thing!

Well, the human operator is more susceptible to stress-based failure so I'm more comfortable with it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Adam Savage used to work as a color mixer for an animation studio, he talked about it in one of the Tested podcasts.

Basically, since you're layering animation cels on top of each other to have multiple moving objects/characters in a scene, you run into problems with the celluloid blocking a small amount of light from coming through. This causes the colors on the rearmost cels to show up darker than they should have. The fix for this was to mix colors so you had multiple lighter and darker versions of the same color, and then use the lighter colors for cels that were meant to go behind other cells. So for instance, you would have a cell of Baloo running, and then multiple versions of that cel in lighter and darker colors, depending on which scene you needed it for.

Traditional animation is amazingly complex to get right.

If you want to see something really impressive, get your hands on a copy of Rock & Rule which is...well its a complicated and somewhat tragic story. The important thing is that you could consider it the magnus opus of traditional cel animation, pushing the boundaries of what could be done with physical photography and art. Some of their special effects shots had over thirty layers of cels being lit and manipulated! Its basically insane.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It doesn't matter if it's time travel or anything else, if part of a story is based on the premise that a thing works a certain way, it has to work that way consistently or it doesn't make sense.

Internal consistency is key, yes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ignoring the obviously stupid part of After Earth where the aliens can't "see" you if they don't smell your fear it seems a lot of their problems would have been solved with guns.

Maybe guns and some kind of suit that seals up your smells, too? Like some kind of gas tight hazmat suit? Like the ones we have today?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sulphix posted:

Michael Fassbender is easily one of my favorite actors, he kinda has the Gary Oldman thing going where he can slip in really easily to any role.

I caught Bad Boys 2 on TV the other day, reminded me :words:

I hate that movie for so many reasons. One of the big gripes is how by the end of the film they have performed illegal searches, seizures, committed numerous felonies, invaded sovereign Cuban territory and murdered Cuban military and civilians all as part of their murder quest, then end by more or less assaulting an active US military base! Naturally just before the credits roll they are hanging out in the backyard laughing because there are literally zero consequences to their crimes.

I loving hate rear end in a top hat protagonists that literally get away with murder because they are ostensibly the good guys.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was kinda irritated by the Kryptonians in Man of Steel.

They didn't handle the setup very well.

The whole space racism thing was just kind of distasteful. I didn't like having a bunch of Nazi/messiah ideology injected into the film.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of plague-related things, it annoyed the crap out of me that Kate Winset's character never wore a mask or gloves in Contagion.

Yeah, no poo poo you got sick and died. You work for the CDC! You're supposed to be one of the smart ones who knows how to avoid that poo poo.

But she was so noble!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

It's only obvious because Superman Returns hit you over the head JesusJesusJesus.

Its really confusing in tone because you have all these really forced messiah themes being pushed on a genocidal megalomaniac and it just...rankles.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

The finale of Wayward Pines was just offensively bad.
Spoilers!

You might want to try using tags.

This poo poo ain't hard, son.

Here, let me show you;

Jurassic World:
What was going on with the Jimmy Fallon video in the gyrobubble? Its so desperately obnoxious that it dickpunched me right out of the movie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Being irritated at the sheer lack of emergency security/evacuation failsafes and procedures in that movie is in no way irrational, but I'm gonna :argh: about it here anyway. Even if only to protect itself from liability, corporate would enforce that poo poo to the nines.

Oh gosh, I could list about a thousand movies and tv shows where lazy writers ignored the notion of fail-safe ystems and just made every single thing fail-deadly.

My personal ur-example is Star Trek, in just about everything from exploding consoles that kill bridge crew to that Satan-spawn warp core. Better not turn on the coffee maker and the microwave at the same time in the crew lounge, or the warp core actively tries to skullfuck the ship to death in a bizarre murder-suicide.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

The best thing about Star Trek in this respect is there's one episode where they note that Data bypassed seven separate safety interlocks to cut off the oxygen supply to the bridge. Yes, every single console on the bridge is wired to an explosion generator, the inertial dampeners don't work properly, the transporters can sometimes kill you or duplicate you, but we septupled up on the oxygen security.

Ug, this plugs into another irritation; over-explaining poo poo.

Star Trek does this all the drat time, see this example. Was it needed to say 'seven' safety interlocks? gently caress no, you could just say 'he bypassed all the safety interlocks' which maintains the drama/impact of the statement and - here's the bonus, it doesn't make the audience scratch their heads and wonder why so many drat interlocks.

Take a look at another space-fiction case, Star Wars. In the original trilogy, they don't explain anything beyond what is needed to move the story along. Do we get a ten minute lecture on the physics of lightsabres? Nope - we are told that it was the traditional weapon of the Jedi Knight and shown that it chops off arms and makes pewpew lasers bounce aside. We find out why it matters (context) and what it does, all in the course of moving the plot forward/building characters
Then the new prequel trilogy comes around and you get poo poo like the midichlorian bullshit which bogs down everything and nut-kicks you right out of the narrative with the sheer implausibility and contradictory nature of the so-called 'explanation' that just offers confusion and follow-up questions. Why is this midichlorian poo poo being used? What purpose does it serve? It doesn't add drama, it doesn't develop characters, it doesn't advance the plot, or reveal anything meaningful about the universe or anyone in it.

Script writers just get so up in their own rear end sometimes trying to explain poo poo that they don't even understand, its indulgent and bad.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

They need to have warp plasma flowing through every deck for such as LCARs and lighting.

:psyduck: Warp plasma...for lighting? :psyduck:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Doesn't Ben use it later? If nothing else he draws it and then shuts it off during the big duel. That's something I liked about the old Star Wars, the Jedi have this weird moral philosophy that's never really explained but ends up saving Luke at the end of the third one; they're not just doing backflips and killing everyone with abandon

Jedit posted:

They're talking about Luke's lightsabre, not Ben's. Luke practices with it aboard the Falcon, but he never uses it during the Death Star mission.

Of course, it's not really that surprising if you think about it. Luke can't deflect bolts reliably yet, it's much more sensible for him to use the blaster that he does know how to use. And from the Death Star they go straight to the battle of Yavin, so there's no more opportunities.

I quoted you both because first you recognize the moral philosophy, then its teaching is remarked on but not recognized. Ben purposefully denies Luke the opportunity to use the lightsabre on the Death Star. He sends him on an infiltration mission with a blaster and blaster-armed friends where the likelihood of using the sabre would be nil - and then at the end Ben ensures that Luke is watching when he teaches what he feels to be the most important lesson. Sometimes you have to turn the lightsabre off, and turn your back to violence.

I think it was something about being confronted with Anakin, the student he failed utterly to train and led down a path of violence with lessons like 'this weapon (the lightsabre) is your life' that really shocked Ben into teaching a different lesson to Luke with extra emphasis by dying.

I like to think that the impact of that sacrifice laid all the groundwork for his eventual rejection of the Dark Side on the DS2.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
The really depressing part of Man of Steel was that Superman was a racist genocidal meglomaniac tyrant.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gaunab posted:

This isn't irritating but it amuses me when children's movies use inappropriate songs for advertising and in the movie.

Like "Shut up and Drive" in Wreck it Ralph?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Biplane posted:

In the first Thor movie, it opens with a shot of Tønsberg, Norway ca 900 AD where we were apparently invaded by frost giants until Odin and his crew showed up. Immediately after this we are shown Thor and Loki as children, so they were not a part of Odins gang at the start. But Thor and Loki have by that point been established as norse gods for well over a thousand years :argh: my immersion!

Obviously in Asgard there are an extremely limited roster of approved names and they have been cycling through them for a while.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Van Dis posted:

That doesn't make sense, as Fury Road Max has visions of trauma the Max in the previous films experienced.

He has visions of trauma, but I didn't see how any of those visions were specifically tied to the previous films. He's haunted by some bad poo poo, but that isn't exactly weird considering he's living in a crazy wasteland.

Van Dis posted:

The effort to canonize everything in the Mad Max movies seems truly misguided to me, though. Having a strict chronology and sequence of events is way down the list of what makes the movies good or interesting. Seems like nerds can never resist this impulse though, just look at Star Wars.

George Miller has specifically stated that he never attempted to canonize and tightly bind everything together, so I guess you jumped to conclusions?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
As usual, Damon Lindelof is to blame for loving up another script with poo poo that doesn't make any god-drat sense.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
All the plot holes in Minority Report, well, most of them involving the predictions of the Precogs are easily solved by assuming that the Precogs don't actually see the future.

If you instead imagine that each of the Precogs is actually highly telepathic (can read thoughts) and clairvoyant (can remote view places and things) then their murder predictions and minority reports make sense. All three can 'see' that the wife has been having an affair, they can see the forgotten glasses, all three can read the minds of the husband and use that information to form a prediction that a murder will take place. Sometimes they disagree on where the odds lay of it happening.

That explains the lag time in predicting premeditated versus spur-of-the-moment murder, as the idea and concrete steps to commit that crime happen a lot sooner.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

IUG posted:

This wouldn't work, or else they couldn't scrub the memories for clues just out of frame. They have the have perfect, photogenic visions in order for their department to work.

Its called clairvoyance. Remote viewing. The psychics can 'see' everything, and can visualize their predictions.

John Big Booty posted:

One young jedihadi from a nowhere planet puts a photon torpedo in a tiny exhaust port flying an x-wing that he had zero experience flying?

The Death Star was an inside job.

Well, you see that Jedi pilot actually spent a lot of time flying through the canyons of his home planet frying womp rats with his civilian craft made by the same manufacturer using nearly identical flight controls.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Transporters can't go through shields, torpedos are primarily shield-busters. Phasers/Disruptors are much better at ship-killing (though both weapons are capable of both roles)
:goonsay:

Transporters can't go through almost anything.

You want ship killing capability, call up Star Wars.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It would be if the bit where Ron gets drugged with a love potion didn't exist. And it just gets shrugged off as "Oh yeah, girls do this all the time, it's no big deal."

Female on male rape is funny though, because

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm already rambling, because there's just so much wrong with [Prometheus] and it all boils down to the script. It should have been much tighter and much better for what it was.

Blame Damon Lindelof. I don't know why or how he gets work when he is less capable of assembling a coherent script than most dogs.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Taeke posted:

Kubrick really put some thought into it.

In other news, the oceans are wet, space is vast, and Jupiter is cloudy.

Now for Jim, with sports.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I re-watched Age of Ultron recently and it gets worse every time I watch it. Needless to say the following contains spoilers.

You know that we have spoilers tags for a reason, right?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the entire point of Prometheus was that

Damon Lindelof is a hack and incapable of writing a coherent bedtime story, much less a script.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Didn't she get a dude in his car in the american version too? I think she's capable of appearing to whoever watched the tape, regardless of where they are. Or maybe she popped out of the nearest TV and took a cab to wherever the guy was, who knows.

Did somebody say she could could come out of mirrors, too? Or any kind of screen images could appear on.

They didn't have cell phones capable of video back then though.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I just saw Don't Breathe. It was good and tense, but the ending was kinda weak.

at the end, Rocky escapes the house and ditches town but sees a news report about how the vet survived the attack and is returning home. the film established that home invasion with a gun was enough to allow the vet to defend his home so killing them wouldn't be considered a criminal charge, and he disposed his daughter's killer's/baby mama's remains in cement so he'll never be implicated in her abduction. so far he should be able to go scot-free.

but what about the impregation dungeon in his basement? there's no way he'd have the time to hide all the padding and refrigerated cum he's kept in cold storage while the police arrived - and they did arrive since the security alarm kept blaring and he was rescued.

While obviously sinister in context, none of that is illegal. Just creepy and fetishy. Lots of people have gently caress-dungeons.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

There is more than one way to hurt someone.

Also, Pa Kent teaches him pretty much the same, it's just that Superman can't solve everything because regular humans don't want him to, or that it ultimately wouldn't be to their benefit. Which is an inherent problem of the character, or else he would have ended world hunger three weeks after his inception.

Pa Kent is pretty much also a villain, as is Jor-El in Man of Steel. I'm sure it will be revealed that Pa Kent was originally from Germany circa 1943 with the fertile ground he lays for Jor-El to seed firmly with space racism.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I can see tha

What?

I use a bit of hyperbole, but in Man of Steel Pa Kent does a very good job of instilling a narcissistic messiah complex with attendant sociopathic amorality. It can be argued that this is what sets the stage for Jor-El's simulation to refine and focus this diffuse evil into true genocidal mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it really narcissism when you can lift mountains and shoot lasers from your eyes?

Belief that your physical might translates to a complete moral and intellectual superiority which elevates you beyond ethics and entitles you to rule as a barbaric god-king, then yes.