Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So...take it on faith then? Like, what's your great idea to replace science?

Me? I'd shove even more science on people, teaching them how to DO the science stuff.

For most people SCIENCE is like throwing a piece information into a magic box and waiting to see what infallible truth falls out on the other end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

When I hear people talking about that ASMR sensation, this is what I imagine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shady Amish Terror posted:

fffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUCK

Maybe I should have expected it, but I don't think I took the possibility seriously. That's, uh. That's sure a story.

She, spent ten years beginning at 15 years of age in psychiatric care, and by all accounts avoided any criminal activity after release. Seems like an good enough ending.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nuclear War posted:

Any more caving stories?

Have you heard of the forefather of all creepypastas, Ted the Caver?

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

It's a pretty fun read even after so many years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, stories like these still haunt me, a land lobber, years after reading about them -
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/How-a-cave-diver-filmed-his-own-death/2005/01/14/1105582714674.html - a diver makes a record descent to the body of a fellow diver, his equipment becomes entangled with the corpse, and he drowns while recording his death on camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4iFJ-G74o - video with narration explaining what was happening and what went wrong

Drowning in the total darkness of an underwater cavern, quite literally in the embrace of a dead man, that is just existentially terrifying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
False memories are a thing, but that's because memories as discrete persistent phenomena do not exist, and only get assembled in response to stimuli to fit some sort of functional demand - which essentially means that people remember what they want to remember, or what they feel they should remember. It has nothing to do with hypnosis.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NLJP posted:

I have some photos of the Brno catacombs before they were reopened to the public. Huge piles of random bones everywhere, it was like a vision of hell. Pretty cool. I'll see if I can find my old sd card with them but it was like 10 years ago...

The people who first, and unexpectedly, broke into that ossuary described it as "we probed a wall and skulls started pouring out of everywhere". Very metal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ranbo das posted:

The fact that he had the gear to dismember the corpse plus a bunch of heavy stuff to weigh it down plus the foresight to try to put holes in the body to prevent it from floating makes it seem like it really wasn't "oh poo poo accident happened good thing I have my serial killing gear on hand!"

It was on a submarine, you don't go on a submarine trip without tons of tools and heavy equipment. Anyway, he probably did it regardless.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

The main thing I'm wondering is if his scrotum ended up being okay.

Is intestines continuously descending into your scrotum on a daily basis considered OK?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

just wandering off...into a refrigerator, and dying. yes.

Weirder things have happened than a drunk / high person walking into a walk in freezer, passing out and freezing to death. Neither story in implausible, shouldn't they release autopsy reports eventually?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Madkal posted:

Yea, I read that book. Leopold is really one of history's greatest monsters, nothing short of an evil greedy arsehole.

Even his contemporaries who thought colonialism was swell were horrified by Leopold's behavior, as this cartoon illustrates:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wonder how "it's not a human body, it's just a doll made of a human body" was meant to divert suspicions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randaconda posted:

I've owned several pits, and I have never had a single problem with them.

But sure, let's demonize the whole breed so hand wringers can prove how tough on dogs they are, instead of dealing with the real problem of lovely owners.

Also, I feel like there's a weird racial element intertwined, as well, since a lot of African Americans own pit bulls.

lol, a gun nut, but for murder beasts

there is no reason for anybody in a civilized society to own a dog bred to kill, just like there is no reason to own a firearm (at least firearm doesn't have a mind of its own, though). both can go through their lifetime without an incident, which doesn't mean they aren't deadly in the aggregate.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Dec 22, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly, beats drowning, burning, shot, shrapnelled, starvation, thirst, or sinking until pressure murders you imo.

At the same time, it's terrifying how easy it's to assemble a hypoxia kit for any suicidal person.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Proteus Jones posted:

Almost certainly CO2 buildup. They increase the percentage with every breath. It’s basically slow suffocation and it terrifies me about as much as burning to death.

What needs to be stressed is that your body is built to resist CO2 build up, it knows you are dying, and is making you suffer in hopes of finding an oxygen source. It's not a calm death at all, like what you would experience from breathing in a thin stratospheric atmosphere with low CO2 concentration.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Parcast Serial Killers podcast has this uncanny dissonance between the content and the narrators talking like it's a show about knitting. But it's not bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has anybody linked the BBC podcast - documentary Death in Ice Valley? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060ms2h

It's a BBC - Norwegian coproduction investigating the unsolved death of the so called Isdal Woman, a mysterious foreign person who had traveled Norway under a number of assumed identities before being found dead, charred and drugged, at a remote country site. She was possibly a spy, and there is some evidence that the Norwegian secret service had been involved in burying elements of the case.

The podcast itself is very good, as one would expect from BBC, with original interviews and on site investigation,, and it is still ongoing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Azathoth posted:

I'm curious to see where they go with it, as I like it so far. I'd only done cursory reading on it before, and they're doing a good job of going deep in depth on it.

My only gripe is that they keep doing this coy "why was she here, was she a spy, a criminal, etc." when they are clearly making the case that she was a spy. Like, I get that they're trying to do the whole "no preconceptions" thing, but it comes off really disingenuous.

If they wanted to do it right, they should actually present some evidence at some point that she wasn't a spy. It's the conclusion that pretty much everyone comes to who looks into it.

That said, it's a minor gripe, I like what they're doing overall and it is definitely worth a listen if you have even a passing interest in the case.

tbh i kind of expect they have no new evidence whatsoever, and they are just trying to dilute their one lead to sound more intriguing, but the programme is interesting nonetheless

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Frisco hospice exec admits overdosing patients 'to hasten their deaths' and make more money

So this is like, murder, right? This dude is a murderer. Also holy poo poo America.

It's Kevorkian, but Republicans have moved so far to the right that Kevorkian is now their ideal health care provider, and their base is fine with that. What's the suicide smiley again?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sarcopenia posted:

That's exactly my point. I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to people that for example, that time when someone close to you died is not the same thing. It always seems like they feel like it is a slap to their face. As if I'm diminishing the pain they've felt due to things that have happened to them. "I felt a huge loss and I got through it without being a sad sack.". I could have gotten a million dollars tomorrow and be promised world peace but it wouldn't have changed the fact that in my mind I was a worthless sack of poo poo that people would be way better off not having in their lives because I'm a big fakey faker who is draining the life out of everyone around me.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I've come to the conclusion that while a brain can imagine living without legs or without an arm to some extent, because those factors do not affect the working of one's cognition, a brain just can't imagine itself being deformed by a mental illness, no matter how well meaning the person trying to understand depression can be. It's like, cogito ergo sum, but what happens when the cogitum breaks down, can the being that flows from it relate to the being built up from the "normal" cogitata? Hardly, if it really is true that we are just a product of our experiences.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Caganer posted:

yeah but again, a lot of it is stuff you need a suspect to match to... fingerprints for example.

i think it would be cctv that did him in.

cctv gets a shot, someone recognizes, dna warrant, BAM.

can't fingerprint a ghost

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Okan170 posted:

Found the archived snapshots of the forums from 9/11:
http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/

I never realized "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR" was uttered before the towers even collapsed

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tashilicious posted:

It was about how TV is going to kill books.

I mean, did you read the novel? It's very, very explicit about this, or rather about the infantilization of society through mass media. The setting isn't the totalitarian state people ascribe to it for some reason, it's a democratic country where people choose to oppress themselves and run their society into the ground for the sake of gratification and obsession with media hyperreality. It doesn't say the government depicted in the book is just, but it is the product of people-shaping technologies and of people trying to enforce conformity of the whole society with their lifestyles.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

packetmantis posted:

Black people getting murdered isn't an excuse to flex your superiority complex. Especially if you think racism somehow doesn't exist where you are.

In most western countries the cops aren't doing systematic extrajudicial executions of all who ever crossed them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Russians... didn't know about cold?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Golden Gael posted:

Hope it's okay to cross post from the 90's thread, because I have a weird one for you today. I recently went down an internet rabbit hole digging up an ancient website on the craziness level of jesus-is-savior.com. May I present to you the story of Ashtar Sheran:

Now the actual story goes back much further. This Ashtar character was apparently created in the 1950s by George van Tassel, an associate of Howard Hughes. He used to hold alien conventions and other weird poo poo at Giant Rock, and eventually Ashtar found popularity with his followers. There's been a number of power struggles over the years for the one "right" version of Ashtar and the eventual apocalypse he'll save us from but it's almost always hilarious.

Man, these guys used to rent a small office in an apartment building near me years ago, me and my friends would go there to get posters and fliers back when we were in high school.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Mighty Moltres posted:

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^ Any noteworthy stories?

Not really, it was just a bunch of old ladies with kooky new age beliefs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I stopped listening to the Last Podcast on the Left when they did an episode in which they unironically took a military brief about hybrid warfare and little green men as a public admission of the existence of aliens and human-alien hybrids, and of the coming war with alien invaders. At that point it was no longer possible to deny that at least some of the hosts were completely off their rockers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Why do so many famous people seem to be completely loving bonkers? I know part of it is that they're rich and can sidestep consequences with that, but for gently caress's sake. How do they think poo poo like this is never going to get out?

The longer you are able to get off on terrorizing people without consequences, the more you escalate and the more extreme your "tastes" become as what used to give you a rush becomes mundane.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you have anything specific to point out beyond that because in my experience most people on SA find it good.

It's the typical "our only research is the wikipedia article" podcast, but with the added bonus that the guests couldn't even be bothered to read the article ahead of time and have nothing to contribute but terrible attempts at jokes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think that podcast is funded by the CIA, in fact it is a pretty ridiculous criticism, but the CIA has a history of moderating is own criticism by elevating the most toothless or academic / inaccessible criticisms, or ones that actually support their agenda, in order to suppress critics who would be actually be inconvenient from the standpoint of getting the public to question the underlying structures that make the agency's position unassailable. Somebody saying the CIA sucks while upholding the foreign policy consensus is an ally to the CIA, because the broader policy framework is dependent on empowering the CIA to work.

But in this case I think he's just an useful idiot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

I found it very unnerving to see such a well respected channel be so full of propaganda and anti-renewable technology.

source your quotes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Malcolm Gladwell is just a shittier Joe Rogan for elitists.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

Happens to literally everyone. You could be an Olympic tier runner and it could happen.

Yet another reason not to bother with running.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chair In A Basket posted:

p sure that's just ben shapiro in jr high

That's way too concise and to the point for lil Ben

"Now, let's imagine, hypothetically, that there is right, and there is, of course, also wrong. Now, hypothetically..."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When I listened to them the LPOTL did a good job mocking the criminals while being sympathetic to the victims, which is a welcome change compared to glorifying the murderers or trying to build them up to maintain suspense and / or relishing in descriptions of the suffering of the victims. However the hosts were legitimately some of the dumbest people alive as manifested every time they went off script.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"That same year, in Buenos Aires, Claudio Aferi, 58, was found dead in his home and next to him was the body of his mother, Margarita, who died 10 years earlier. The body was not concealed and appeared to be an active part of Claudio’s routine."

Yes, sure, a routine :catstare:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
According to the videos, the so called manor is just somebody's back yard where they beat you up and taze you while sitting on plastic lawn chairs?

BattyKiara posted:

How is this IegaI? There are things you cannot consent to, right?

Yes no contract you sign can give others the right to commit crimes against you and violate your rights, no matter what the contract says.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Flags of convenience should be illegal imo. I don't know if he's expanded on this in replies, sorry.

https://twitter.com/Dazzleox/status/1772595115355189388

Nah, ten levels of shady lowest bidders subcontracting parts of their duties to even shadier, lower bidders is just superior capitalist optimization. The fault is with the foreigners who forced their way into the work force without even having the courtesy of being white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Don't forget CRT!

I'm not into retro console gaming, so I shall in fact forget CRT