Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
into the void
Feb 13, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To continue the anti-vax thing from right before the last thread closed, I can't believe there's actually another person out there that argues that vaccines are bad because dying from diseases is natural other than the one I argued with and posted. People are hosed up.

In my immuno class, the lecture on vaccines was about 10% "this is how vaccines work" and 90% "no, they do not give you autism". This is med school. It was incredibly depressing.

Anyway, they covered arguments made by anti-vaxers and this one came up. Basically, since diseases like polio have been gone for so long (because of vaccines), people don't see it as a real threat. They just see it as "my kid gets sick and I take care of them BECAUSE MOMS KNOW BEST. Oh, and worst comes to worst, a doctor will fix it because that's what they do." They don't have the life experience that some diseases are terrifying and they can kill or maim your kid. And while, yes, getting the illness itself will produce a better immune response than the vaccine, vaccines also won't leave you in an iron lung for the rest of your life as the bonus for surviving the disease in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Doctors also get paid a poo poo-ton more, though, which is why going out of the way to recognize the hard work that nurses put it is important. If you're making three times the salary of your co-workers, you don't need them to pat you on the drat back and give you one of their sandwiches.

In addition to awesome pay, doctors traditionally have also been allowed to treat nurses and everyone else below them like poo poo without any reprimand. This is changing, but very very slowly. Not all of them treat people like poo poo, of course, but those that do end up with a bad reputation and not much else in the way of consequences. And I love that she brings up nurses being mean to residents as some sort of evidence, because no one treats residents worse than the doctors themselves.

And in the hospital I worked at, nurse's didn't have a swanky 'nurse's lounge'. They had the lovely room that everyone else in the hospital ate at.

But if she wants to switch that pay and benefits for 6 more days of empty gestures, I'm sure the nurses would be happy to oblige.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Best part of that link is that the comments section is closed. Oh man, so much that was. So much that could have been.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

karl fungus posted:

I have no idea how they're supposed to partake in that that without doing something massively illegal and terrifying.

Just going to leave this here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/cannibal-cop-trial-fbi-agent-corey-walsh-gilberto-valle_n_2772821.html

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Really looking forward to MRA response that this wouldn't have happened if those bitches had just put out for the poor white boy with the bmw.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Apogee15 posted:

I think that they were saying he was signed up to a PUA hate site.

From what I understand about anti pua sites like that, they are just as misogynistic as the actual pua sites. These are even angrier guys who bought in (sometimes literally) to the pua bullshit and got nothing out of it. Seriously, check out their forums. There is no revelation, no self awareness, just a lot of 'Bitches still won't touch my dick and pua is a rip off'.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

*posts status about zinging a subway employee over cheese*

I call him out that he's being overly fussy.

NO YOU'RE PUTTING MORE EFFORT THAN MY CHEESE POST

Wait, I don't get it. He says grated. She confirms that he means shredded, he says 'no, they are different'. But then in these comments, it becomes 'it means the same thing but she's a dumb bitch who tried to correct me and I put her in her place'. Something tells me Carol Sell doesn't know what the gently caress he (she?) is talking about.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

For context, Black here is a guy me and my friends begrudgingly let hang around us in college. He was always a boorish arse but during the last year we near unanimously told him to go to hell after he became increasingly bigotted and evangelical about how feminists were literally the devil and Muslims were totally all terrorists.

(Blue is me, pink, red and orange are several of my friends, I have no idea who purple is.)
I wish I'd just left him to his own rank stupidity than get involved. :cripes:

If you really want to bother, and I certainly wouldn't, you can tell him he's confusing sexual dimorphism with masculinity/femininity. The former means that men tend to be bigger and stronger than females due to differences in the onset of puberty, hormones, and how we carry fat and muscle. The latter, as others have stated, is what behavior society has deemed appropriate for each sex and it varies by culture.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Laocius posted:

Someone posted this on Twitter:

edit: Actually this is mostly just an old lady being crazy, it just kind of starts on Facebook.

Wow, if even 10% of that is true, that is one crazy, abusive bitch.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

There is a Slenderman base now? Well done goons. First I had to listen to a nurse I work with recite to me the entire plot of Angry Hornets and then tell me Slenderman was an old urban legend. And a girl gets stabbed.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Haha, no, this is your punishment. In a Slenderman article:

quote:

The character might be familiar if you spend time in Reddit-y Internet circles
http://jezebel.com/explainer-whats-slender-man-and-why-would-two-girls-ki-1585377547

It at least goes on to give credit to Victor Surge, but I still laughed.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't know if she's aware that we can all see her reviews of these lovely vampire romance Twilight rip-off books she keeps writing. At least she hated this one!

To be fair, those aren't twilight rip offs. They came out years before twilight (or at least were popular before twilight). I remember reading that in high school. It was incredibly trashy and eventually became unreadable in the later sequels, but it was still better than twilight. At least it had sex.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

In regards to not experiencing fear, there was a case of a woman who lost her amygdala to Urbach-Wiethe Disease. She completely lost the ability to both recognize and experience fear (other emotions were intact though). Sad part was that she apparently lived in a really lovely neighborhood and was mugged several times, because as Tracula said, fear is a pretty useful emotion.

http://neurosciencenews.com/sm-fearless-woman-missing-amygdala/

You can also have Kluver Bucy Syndrome, where the patient has a diminished fear response. It also produces hypersexuality, such as in the case of this cat that is humping everything without fear of reprisals or societal judgment:

Bottom corner: That's cat on cat on cat, btw. Because Science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kl%C3%BCver%E2%80%93Bucy_syndrome

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Because people over-report The Onion, Clickhole gets a similar "ignore the complaints" treatment. See the link below. Uhhhh, I can see why people would report it.

http://www.clickhole.com/video/if-you-grew-calvin-hobbes-you-need-watch-right-now-318

Maybe they are idiots but I noticed that.

Maybe dump a NWS tag in there.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Not censored cause the woman is public-ish, and she tweeted the pic out without censoring.

I don't understand what happened here. She changed her settings to be more private and some guy flipped out about it with zero provocation and called her a oval office? Did I get that right? Jesus loving christ.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

hamster_style posted:

I posted this in the D&D thread, but since we're on the subject of those dirty sluts keeping their legs closed I'll post it here too. Bob Frapples is the OP's wife.

Also, isn't there alot of controversy in the scientific community as to how IUDs and the lack work? And they are actually starting to come down on the side that it doesn't actually prevent a fertilized egg from implanting.

Fake edit: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/heres-why-hobby-lobby-thinks-iuds-are-like-abortions/284382/
Apparently it varies and we generally don't know, but for the most part it kills sperm.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

I really hope it was darted and not shot.
I don't see the point in killing an endangered species like that. gently caress just send over some crates of food or hunt some gazelle instead; use its meat. It doesn't help that my favourite animals include lions.

The relation of that to abortion though is just truly bizarre. I can't wait for the day when my rights on whether or not to reproduce are held uncontested over a packet of cells with the potential to become a person. These people never consider what happens to those unwanted children. I'd be a loving horrible parent for one, and there's enough people on this planet as is.

It really makes me genuinely sad that people think in this way. I guess it's a little bit of a rude shock to read such candid representations of those kinds of views. No one on my feed says stuff like this and none of my friends think like this. I know the views are out there but it's just so weird to see them so unabashed.

Yeah, I've heard meat from a carnivore is pretty awful, because they just eat other meat. I think it's fattier or bitter or something. I think they also have higher levels of heavy metals and other toxins. I've never tried meat from a lion or bear, so I have no idea if it's true. But I guess taking photos with a bunch of dead deer isn't as awesome as a dead lion or endangered rhino.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Wizard of Smart posted:

I've had bear and it was really very good.

Fair enough. How was it compared to herbivore meat?

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Grrl Anachronism posted:

This girl already has three dogs, two out of three of which are longhaired breeds living in an uncovered yard in the South Carolina heat (that they are constantly trying to escape) because she thinks deworming them or getting them pretty much any basic vet care is 'too expensive'- read, cuts into her being able to shop at Whole Foods instead of Kroger. She now has three dogs trailing worms out their butts and her solution is not 'get them dewormed', it's 'make them live in the yard'. She is constantly posting about wanting a new pet.
Stop adopting the things. :sigh:

Do you live near her? Because I would call your local humane society or whoever is responsible for checking up on the welfare of animals. Dogs wandering around with parasites hanging out of their asses is just disgusting and cruel. And like you said, if she can't afford to take them to the vet for even basic care, she shouldn't have them.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Toriori posted:

Is there a picture of the guy who runs the site or any of the contributors? I honestly can't picture anything other than an ugly, self-loathing greasy piece of human trash.

You can google Roosh V. I think he's one of the big Return of Kings contributors. Not sure about AVfM, but I think it's the guy who set up that Men Rights "International" Conference recently: Paul Elam.

Fake Edit: Yeah, just looked it up. AVfM was founded by Paul Elam and Return of Kings is Roosh V.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Sorry to double post, but I know someone who posts run of the mill idiocy about Obama, Washington Redskins, etc. Just stupid, offensive poo poo. Whenever I call them on it (which is rare), I usually get the response of "it's suppose to be offensive; it's satire" or "relax, it's a joke". How do you counter that, because all I've got is...I don't think you know what satire means.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

I've always wondered how employers or insurance would know if you're a smoker in order to charge you more. Unless you're smoking at work like a chump instead of using smokeless tobacco that doesn't affect other people, anyway, how would they know what you're doing on your downtime?

Edit: By the time they found out you had a smoking related illness it'd be too late for them to up your premiums before they had to pay up for your care

My employer (a really lovely hospital) had us fill out this long online questionnaire every year when we renewed our insurance. One of sections gave us information about the health benefits of not smoking. You had to scroll down to see that it was actually a question as to whether or not you smoked. "Yes I am a smoker" was automatically checked. :D And you could continue on to the next section without having to scroll to the bottom.

Thankfully I caught it and told my coworkers, but who knows how many people now have "yes I am a smoker" buried in a medical document somewhere.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Selective service IS the draft, but the US army has always preferred volunteers. The laws are still in place, and any male over the age of 18 not signed up for it is a felon.

It will just never get called again since it is only worth it if we are in a war and lack enough soldiers. Between our force multiplication technologies, and the fact that we do not lack for poor kids who can be tricked into signing up, this isn't going to happen in our lifetimes.

But this brings us back to the main problem with the MRM. Instead of actually getting off their asses and making any sort of effort to get rid of laws or, in the very least, tweak them so that women might be called upon as well, they just want to bitch on reddit forums about how this is all somehow the fault of feminists.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Someone posted this chick in the Malaysia plane crash thread in GBS and I totally thought it was this thread because there's so much crazy. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3651375&perpage=40&pagenumber=59#post432494190

Really wish I hadn't seen that woman's fb. What a disgusting bag of poo poo. This has to be the first person I've seen who is vehemently against circumcision and then goes out of her way to mock cut guys who, by and large, were babies when the procedure was done and had no control over it. I mean seriously, "stubby"? Just an all around piece of poo poo.

And what's her reason for being glad the AIDs researchers died? It's not a homophobia thing, because at one point she referenced having a rainbow flag outside of her apartment.

Edit: Oh, I bet it's some AIDs researchers = Inventors of AIDs or some conspiracy crap.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Moatman posted:

I think the line of reasoning is "Circumcision can reduce the risk of HIV, therefore HIV researchers support circumcision, therefore it's good they died" or some poo poo like that

I think you are playing pretty fast and loose with the word 'reasoning',

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

So Robin Williams' daughter closed her twitter account because trolls were sending her graphic photoshoped images of her dead father. Just...let that sink in.

http://www.themarysue.com/zelda-williams-social-media-harassment/

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

They're being unnecessarily hostile and intentionally obtuse though? Suicide is totally avoidable. It's not like "woops, I didn't mean to suicide, oh well!" Someone has to make a deliberate choice to do that. And they do so because it seems easier than dealing with their depression. Which is exactly what blue was saying, and then pink gets all aggressive about how it's not actually avoidable.

Oh wow. Please tell me more about suicide and how its the lazy option only picked by people who just don't feel like "dealing with their depression". Because it's just so hard and suicide is just so easy.

Seriously, people like you have zero understanding of depression. It's not feeling a little down or sad. It's not something you just deal with and then get back to being your happy self. It is crippling and changes the way you think. People with suicidal ideation aren't lazy, selfish fucks. They literally believe that suicide is the only solution. They don't think others would care if they killed themselves because they are loving depressed. That's the nature of the goddamn disease.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I have depression, but I'm actually seeking treatment for it. Thanks though.

I have no idea what degree of depression you have, but if you are actually clinically depressed, then you should know what the mental illness does to a person. People become so depressed that they physically and mentally do not have the energy to get help. I've seen patients so depressed they developed bed sores because they couldn't bring themselves to roll over. And it wasn't because they were lazy!
They do not think rationally about themselves and their prospects. People who are suicidal don't just hold a bottle of pills in one hand and a phone number to a hotline in the other and go "ugh, treatment sounds like it would take awhile. Eh, better kill myself". They don't weigh the pros and cons of suicide before doing it and decide it's easier. Often, it's an impulsive act brought about by a several depressive episode. Again, when a person is not thinking rationally. It's why men are more likely to successfully kill themselves; they suicide in ways that don't allow for time to reconsider or be discovered.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

I think this is one of those cases where the possibility that she was joking is actually worse than if she were serious.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that whole "I go up to 10 women a day and tell them they look sexy and they thank me" can definitely be cross posted to the stdh.txt thread.

And just to be clear, he gets offended at the implication that catcalling is wrong in the first series of posts and then accuses Mack of catcalling in the last post? Wait, I'm sorry, he doesn't accuse him of catcalling, but then he does...but then he doesn't.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

There's no need to post something about it because you won't understand it(it's Norwegian), but a friend of mine has recently turned vegan and she just can't shut the gently caress up about it. Every hour or so there's an update on what she's going to eat, how she's prepared it and oh how ~~~~***healthy***~~~~ and natural she suddenly feels. She's also started sharing image macros of how being a vegan is also being supportive of animal welfare and you shouldn't eat meat if you call yourself an animal lover.

Is this common? A cousin of mine also got a kid a while ago and she can't stop posting pictures/updating her status of incredibly boring news about her kid.

Are you using the term animal welfare? Or is she? Because what she means, if she's a hardcore vegan and all meat is murder, is 'animal rights'. People who support animal welfare (as I do) believe that you can eat meat, have pets, and test on animals, so long as it's in a humane manner. Animal welfare supporters do not believe that 'animals are people too', but don't think that means we should be cruel.

People who support animal rights, and I'm talking about PETA and the like now, believe we should all go vegan, free all animals from farms and labs, and no one should ever get to own pets because that's a form of modern slavery.

Kinda a biased site, but: http://www.nabr.org/Animal_Activism/Welfare_vs_Rights.aspx
And the bbc, which seems to be swinging more on the side of rights over welfare: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/animals/rights/introduction.shtml

In short, if she keeps throwing around the term animal welfare, feel free to be a dick and correct her.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

There is a lot of stupid going on here but...

How are they getting facts from the prep? Are they psychic? Can they commune with my dead guinea pig? Because I have questions.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Oh man, cracked had an article about terrible argument tactics and #5 was pointing out logical fallacies. Basically that just screaming "Ad hominem!!!!" over and over neither advances your point, nor disproves theirs. It just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. And the comments for this article are amazing because I don't think cracked knows who reads their articles.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-common-argument-tactics-that-need-to-die/

quote:

Stopped reading after that completely f*****g asinine concept of fallacious logic being of less merit to mic drop the occasional argument. If your APPROACH is fallacious you are goddamned right it destroys your entire argument, whether the end point of it is right or wrong, because you arrived at that conclusion due to flawed reasoning. That being said, to ASSUME the conclusion is wrong because of flawed reasoning is EQUALLY fallacious. However if no one can provide a sound argument why a conclusion IS, there is no reason to place any merit in it. Which is the point of using those tenants to dismantle an argument that you are using faulty reasoning to support. I.e. to avoid the minor fallacy of arguing from ignorance: To assume an assertion is true because it has not/cannot be/ proven false. To assert that the other must also disprove your claim and that it does not suffice to simply dismantle the reasoning you use to arrive to it is also shifting the burden of proof.....:words:

quote:

I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of this article; there are either one of two conclusions to draw from it: either the writer has a habit of making decisions based on poor logic and is frustrated with logic being used to call him out, or he's tired of people using logic incorrectly.

quote:

"You can't use your knowledge of logical fallacies to debate somebody, because whether or not someone is using a logical fallacy has little to do with whether or not they're right."

And yet it has everything to do with whether their ARGUMENT is right. Why should I be convinced by someone spouting things that don't logically follow from each other? It doesn't fly for validating real-world facts, why should it fly for validating argumentative conclusions that are supposed to align with real-world facts?

...or is the point here that I should just assume people who use logical fallacies aren't talking about the real world and go from there?

And on and on like that.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

I'm curious how we are defining 'first case', because we already had two doctors brought over to the US with ebola. And from what I hear, this patient was returning from a country known to have an ebola epidemic, which is what raised red flags in the first place. So, I assume, he didn't contract it here. Are they calling it 'first' because it's the first general/civilian hospital to have a patient just walk in the front doors with it?

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Ebola! Mainstream media! Arguments!

He keeps yammering on about the monkeys that contacted ebola without direct contact. This happened a few decades ago, if I remember correctly, and for a time they thought that *maybe* virus had mutated and become airborne. However, researchers now believe it was due to clean up of urine and excrement on the floor with a high powered hose. It essential created an ebola mist that could travel a short distance between vents. That's it. No mutation. No airborne abilities. It was still spreading via bodily fluids.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Bored posted:

It was hellacious to get an actual physical medical problem treated because I have actual mental health problems. Once I finally found a doctor who listened, we finally got it cleared up. But it does seem that there are a lot of doctors who believe that mental illness precludes you from having physical illnesses.

Yup, this is absolutely true. I worked on a psych unit and we'd refer to the phenomenon as 'psych pts are magic': basically that the greater medical community seems to believe that if you have a psych problem, you are magically immune to all non psych illness. Chest pain? Send em to the psych unit. Blood in the stool? Send em to the psych unit. Covered in bed bug bites? Sounds like something for a psychiatrist. Better send em to the psych unit. I don't know how many schizophrenics or bipolar people we sent back to the ER because there was zero reason for acute psych care: they just happened to be mentally ill in the hospital.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

Eh. I don't consider the train wreck young woman stars to be idiots. They're all carefully calculated.

She just got placed on a 72hr psychiatric hold, so I'm not sure what exactly her end goal is if this is all some giant ploy to get attention.

InediblePenguin posted:

what i heard is she has bipolar disorder and stopped taking her meds

You're going to read a lot of theories about her in the next coming days. There are lots of things that can cause psychosis. Drugs, schizophrenia, bipolar DO, more drugs. She's at the right age for a psychological break, but she also does a poo poo ton of drugs. At the end of the day, the only person who can diagnose her is a medical professional who has met actually her. I think the 72hr hold was a smart move on the part of her family and I hope she gets help. Because those tweets were not only bizarre, but frightening.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This reminds me of the surprisingly common argument against organ donation that somehow there is a conspiracy of doctors wherein practitioners are willing to risk losing their licenses and face prosecution and serious prison time by letting them die or actively killing them so that they can give their organs to younger patients.

I mean, not only is that the biggest breach of ethics I've ever heard and also a rather heinous crime, but also, I hear this from people who are worried about it when they're aging. Somehow, their lives are worth less if they're 60 and have congestive heart failure but they're worried their doctor will kill them for their lungs or something because "I'm old." Does that even make sense? Like, your organs are 60 years old, it's definitely worth prison time and the loss of my livelihood to take a failing organ on the off chance that it might make a sixteen-year-old lung cancer patient live a few more years.

I mean, I GUESS it's possible...in a world where doctors are evil, mustache-twirling villains.

E: sorry, I don't have any content. I culled my friends list down to bare bones, and everyone on there is sane. Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you poor bastards.

It also doesn't make any sense from the recipients perspective. It would incredibly unethical to give them a 70yo pair of lungs or heart. Wouldn't the parents of the ten year old with a new heart kiiinnnda start asking questions when the kid suddenly has murmurs? Or heart attacks and one year later they are right back on the transplant list after spending however many thousands of dollars bribing the doctor in the first place to risk criminal charges? You don't think at least one family might blab after Timmy drops dead? All these conspiracies require hundreds if not thousands of people keeping their mouths shut, which just wouldn't happen, in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

karl fungus posted:

Is there a certain age after which they'll just stop taking organs from you?

No idea. According to this, there is no formal age limit: http://www.organdonation.gov.hk/eng/faq.html

But I imagine there is an unspoken cap where you have to show the organs are in reaaaaallly good condition before they take the risk to put them in someone high of the list.

Also, I don't deny that such a black market exists, especially in darker parts of the world, but these doctors would take the risk for a younger patient, not the random elderly patient off the street. The money they would make on a young liver would be more worth the risk. Again, you want a happy client, not someone who is going to head to the police if things go wrong. And if the organ fails and autopsy shows it's several decades older than the dead person, questions are going to be ask.

• Locked thread