Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I love White Russians, personally. Get some decent Vodka (Chopin works and is a favorite of mine), Kahlua, and milk or cream (I like Whole Milk, anything heavier and you're just chugging milkfat, anything lighter and it's really watery) and mix however much you want. I tend to do like 2:1:1 Vodka:Kahlua:Milk but I generally like my drinks idiotically strong, and 1:1:2 V:K:M is probably going to be a lot more palatable for most people.

Random question - the thread blew up by about 20 pages over the course of a couple days while I was on the road. Anything noteworthy (ie stuff I should go read) happen in the past few days while I was living under a rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

God drat, did anyone else get the ad about Menthol cigarettes for that vid? It was amazingly creepy - girl buys a pack of cigs, the woman at the counter says 'I'm gonna need more than that' and the girl loving rips a hunk of skin off her face and sets it on the counter while the narrator says some stuff about how smoking causes early wrinkles and, as well as destroying the rest of your body, screws up your skin.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJZm5YBCL0

Looks like a govt ad, so expect to see Rush Limbaugh screaming about ARE RIGHT TO SMOKE :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bassetking posted:

Try using a Honey Vanilla Vodka in your White Russians. 375ml 100 proof Vodka to 6oz mesquite honey, and a vanilla bean. Put all of those in a mason jar, let it sit for three weeks, and shake it once each day. At the end of that time, strain it through a wire mesh, and then add it to your beverages, or just drink it straight. It's cheaper than buying Stoli Hunni, adds a note of mesquite smoke, and those lovely vanilla undertones, and is potent enough to make arguing with Fishmech seem like a good idea.

Oh my sweet christ that sounds wonderful

Definitely going to put some of that together as soon as I get home, in a month I leave for a summer job in a town I loving hate because it's a podunk shithole with nothing to do, and drinking myself into a stupor with deilicious Honey Vanilla Vodka sounds great.

Oh, other booze suggestion - Rum and Rootbeer, using Kraken Rum for your rum. Stuff's not super expensive and the vanilla flavoring makes it go fantastically well with Rootbeer.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Talmonis posted:

In my own experience it's that when already emotionally drained people hear about the poo poo going on behind the soundbites, they get really uncomfortable. My wife for instance, gets actively angry at me for talking about politics when I point out things that shatter the Just World view. Believing in a Just World is comforting and simple. Seeing that it's all a horrible lie hurts far too badly, so they just wave it off and listen to the talking heads. "If I don't hear it, it doesn't exist and I can get up and keep going the next day".

I don't understand why people find the idea of Just World being a fallacy so soul-crushing. The world sucks and is a lovely place and god damnit it is up to us to fight to make it a better one. JWF is not a happy thought, but it's a damned compelling reason to go out and fight the good fight, not to hide in a hole and pray to Republican Jesus to make all the dirty poors go away instead of loving helping each other out and trying to help humanity be a little better off.

Grundulum posted:

Is the trend towards pessimism/nihilism a new development in politics? The top three politics threads in D&D as I type this are all some variation of "abandon all hope". What's the historical precedent for wide-ranging dissatisfaction with politics, and what happened to change it?

Please don't tell me that it's always been this way and I'm only now old enough to notice.

Thread mood seems to bounce between 'DING DONG THE REPUBLICANS ARE DYING REJOICE' and 'we are completely, inexorably hosed.' With any luck, someone will find and crush the phylacteries of Justices Scalia and Roberts and we'll get a Supreme Court that doesn't feel largely controlled by lackies of the Koch Brothers. Congress is going to keep being dysfunctional until 2020 at the minimum, but the Dems will probably keep the POTUS on lockdown for the next decade so we're not going to have completely bugfuck crazy legislature going through. Meanwhile, hopefully popular support for things like a minimum wage that doesn't require you to have 4 jobs will keep building to the point that in a decade or so we get some poo poo done.

I'm not super hopeful, we'll probably keep limping along, but I'm also not completely despairing :shrug:

More drinkchat - scotch and coke works really well if you want something less harsh but still scotch-y. My roommate loves them and they're pretty good

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 7, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bunleigh posted:

See I think that idea might have passed muster in the 90s or even when things were still relatively okay in the Bush years before the crash but now it seems inescapable.

I'm not talking about vindictive people. I've known people who will know about the crazy poo poo Michelle Bachmann says, for example, and talk about how awful and crazy she is, and bitch about the government shutdown and even correctly identify that Republicans did it, but then say they think Democrats do it too. I know a guy who basically has liberal views on every issue I've ever heard him bring up and doesn't seem wedded to any of the usual rightwing cargo cult beliefs about taxes/military/whatever but resists actually just deciding he's a liberal because Democrats must be just as bad as all the Republicans he complains about, even though he never actually has any examples. You can lead a horse to water, I guess.

'The truth is in the middle' is a really, really lazy way to feel intellectually smug and superior whenever you talk politics. That's literally all that guy is doing, it's basically the hipsterism of politics - parties are too mainstream for me man.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

:negative:

It's whiskey or even bourbon with coke. Scotch should be enjoyed with a splash of water at the most unless it's garbage scotch... which then begs the question why the gently caress aren't you drinking decent scotch.

Scotch is a kind of Whiskey :haw:

But to not be a pedantic rear end, it's something my roommate likes that I've tried and it wasn't terrible. Some days you have Scotch on hand and don't want something with a bite. I have never had any kind of hard liquor that didn't have at least some bite

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

moller posted:

I think you'll find that Scotch is actually a kind of whisky.

:thurman:

I just got schooled, haha

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SedanChair posted:

"Do anything?" Who the gently caress do you think we are, Tim Geithner?

e: Tim Geithner's anguished though

In this Geithner claims that the banks have paid back the money they got in the bailout. Anyone know if that's actually true?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Seriously what the gently caress is his game here? Only thing I can think of is prepping for a party hop :shrug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

RATIONAL ACTORS, FREE MARKET...oh gently caress why are so many of our educated people leaving the country?

Though I am a bit curious. Do they not see the student loan bubble coming and think this can go on forever, is there some reason it won't actually happen that I don't understand or is there some finance industry horse-poo poo wizardry with no grounding in reality that can be pulled to somehow suck even more money out of the situation as the whole system burns to the ground?

It's the last one isn't it?

It's always the last one.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Joementum posted:

Hold on guys, Karl Rove is saying there's still a chance that Hillary has brain damage....

Also, did we ever get to the bottom of those real estate deals?

The fact that they're grasp this hard is actually pretty :unsmith:

They're grasping at straws so, so loving hard because they have nothing and are goddamned desperate to find ANYTHING to dislodge Hillary from a presidency that is pretty much hers for the taking.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pohl posted:

There was a post about this a few pages back? Or was it the Freep thread?
Somebody help me out here. The post owned. I wish I could conjour it up for you.

What you have to ask yourself is, why is he/she a good friend of yours at this point?

JonathonSpectre posted:

This poo poo drives me loving bananas. For years and years and years when I would hear that "War of Northern Aggression" poo poo I would just ask, "So, uh, who started the actual shooting part of the war?" and watch them tie themselves in knots trying to explain how it was really all Lincoln's fault. But then I read, on this very forum, the perfect comeback, which I have used every time since I read it and which I could not possibly love any more.

"Well, you know, during the War of Northern Aggression-"

"Wait, you mean the War of Southern Treason?"

It's right up there with, "Well, the Civil War wasn't about slavery so much as it was about state's rights."

This should be met with an enormous grin and a nod, then the question, "What state's rights were at issue?"

Then you ask, "Hey, can I look something up for you to read real quick?" Then you just go to this place right here and put that great bigass grin back on your face and look at them silently while they read.

"Oh, look, it appears the Confederacy disagrees with you! Now how about you Google for 'Alexander Stephens cornerstone speech' and CTRL-F for the words 'white supremacy' and continue your sadly-lacking education."

Very little in this world is more enjoyable than emasculating and publicly destroying neo-Confederate chickenshit motherfuckers.

Oh yeah, here's another good one for state's rights motherfuckers. Hey, look, the Confederate Constitution actually grants their states LESS rights than the U.S. Constitution! That's a funny way to stand up for state's rights! Just like it's kind of funny to claim the mantle of Washington and say you're fighting for freedom when your real object is to continue brutally enslaving more than four million people!

:buddy:

e:f,b

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

zoux posted:

It's a very good question and a difficult one to be sure but it starts with an equitable and effective progressive tax code and the gutting of the military industrial complex.

From a little while back, but I'm pretty sure I can quote this in response to nearly any Conservative 'well how would you fix X' questions. Maybe other than 'how would you reform our justice system,' but even then, extra funding to have state run, not private run, prisons probably wouldn't hurt.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Hahaha. You dick. No, I honestly seemed to remember him mentioning it but your post was funny. I also always think his avatar is Al Pacino (although I'm pretty sure it's not). None of this is here nor there really but I'm not even sure what this thread is even about anymore so what the gently caress. :justpost:

His avatar is from the movie 'The Hebrew Hammer,' I believe.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dystram posted:

I was one of those kids who "just didn't get math," now I do Math stuff on Khan Academy and Udacity sometimes and I think it's the coolest and I understand it.

The way we teach kids in this country is horrible but it's because of a lack of funding, too-large class sizes, and teachers not getting paid enough, and not "bad teachers" as right-wingers like to claim.

College level math classes in particular are often, in my experience, stupid as gently caress if you want to learn things like 'Calculus you will actually find useful in life.' If someone has a decent base of Trig and Algebra, I can teach them the basics of Calculus in about twenty minutes. Like all you really need, in my experience, is to understand what Derivatives and Integrals actually physically mean when applied to the real world, so you can figure out when they're applicable to something. From there, you just figure out a function to describe what you're looking at (which is where you need the Trig/Algebra) and then go throw it into Mathematica (or Wolfram Alpha if you don't have Mathematica available for free).

I was a whiz kid at math my entire life (I skipped a year of math in high school and they had to build a new class for me and two other kids so we'd have something Math-y to do our senior year) until I hit college level math. I loving hated college math because at least 90% of it just, frankly, felt completely loving useless. It felt pedantic, esoteric, and overly academic and not at all geared to 'this is poo poo you will actually find useful in any kind of life situation.' There's such a thing as knowledge for the sake of knowledge, but I think it is incredibly stupid that STE[s]M[/m] majors (the M excluded for obvious reasons - if you're going into Mathematics you are someone who actually WANTS to learn Math for the sake of Math) can't take classes like 'Applied Calculus' and be done with it, instead of using Math classes as weedout classes so everyone is scared of them and hates them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

inkblot posted:

As someone who struggled a lot with calculus, I mostly found it hard to grasp the abstract nature of it. Hell, even just the simple concept of a limit doesn't have a physical counterpart and you can't really visualize it. Not to mention one of my teachers had such a thick German accent he would frequently substitute German words for English ones and he lectured at a break-neck pace and just kind of scribbled notes wherever he felt like on the board.

So in my defense it might've just been that I had a really bad teacher.

Yeah no that's just because you had a bad teacher. There are like five 'classic' limit examples that make Limits reasonable intuitive. My favorite is Sin(x)/x

Pretty simple looking, right? Except that at zero, Sin(x) is zero and x is zero, so your function is 0/0 and undefined. But you can see that as you get really, really goddamned close to zero but not quite zero, your function approaches 1.

Basically any teacher worth their salt is going to use Sin(x)/x because it's the best example of Limits in existence :colbert:

shrike82 posted:

It's pretty telling that any discussion of math pedagogy in the States starts and ends with algebra and calculus.

What do you mean?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I was a Physics major in college (and turned Nuclear Engineer in grad school) and other than a little bit of Linear Algebra for Quantum Mechanics, I never needed anything past Multivariable Calculus for my undergrad degree, and have only ever needed basic Diff EQs in grad school. Like I basically slept through Linear Algebra and got a C in it and never understood a bit of it and it has never mattered, QM linear algebra is basic as hell. Also I straight up never took Vector Calculus (I got to sub in another class for it because reasons) and have never needed it :shrug:

poo poo's useless as far as I'm concerned.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

I think I initially misinterpreted your statement, Magres, about teaching math in college as "a bunch a useless poo poo for ivory tower intellectuals". But I read it again and I think what your saying is that math is actually very useful to learn but it's taught in a way such that it's a 'filter' to weed out students who are unworthy or whatever of doing a field. Is that what you meant or are you actually saying math in college is garbage?

Wait a minute. Is the physics major/ nuclear engineer proposing that learning a discipline that nurtures abstract thought is worthless? You realize that college is more than just rote instruction on tools to use in a profession right?

Not at all, I support knowledge for the sake of knowledge. I don't think it should arbitrarily be forced on me as part of my program though. Give me some core requirements of some math and then a list of various math classes to choose from for another 2-3 classes. Learning simply to learn is loving beautiful and should actually BE required, but it should be things that you choose to learn.

Also yes, my objection to Math is that I think it is made overly hard in an arbitrary and pointless way so only the ~worthy~ students can get their alleged golden ticket to success aka STEM degree. It also lends itself to the STEM student "we're smarter than all those liberal arts slackers" bullshit because when you are being arbitrarily made to loving suffer taking goddamned hard classes that you have no interest in and have little/no application in your other classes for no god damned reason at all you want to find a reason. The way college math is taught is loving awful, because non-Math STEM departments make their students take upper level (I had to take several 400-500 level Math classes that were clearly geared towards Mathematics majors and not towards people who need to know how to use Math but don't give a poo poo about the underlying proofs.

It's kinda similar to my experience with Quantum Mechanics. I loving hate QM. I hate the Math, specifically. I utterly loving despise Linear Algebra and I will never, ever stop hating Bra-Ket notation with a fiery passion. But QM itself is really, really cool and I'm really glad I know the QM I know because it's AWESOME. In grad school, last Spring I took a class called "Neutron Interaction Theory" that was basically Quantum Mechanics for people who don't want to deal with rigor and just walk to look at and talk about the super cool effects QM has. We went over a bunch of basic QM - enough to get the idea of how QM is applicable to various scenarios and how it interacts with other fields of Nuclear Engineering, but without digging into all of the specific math - and it was one of the most fun classes I've ever taken, and I felt I got a lot out of it. Not a lot of stuff that's at all applicable to my day to day work, because my research is all Thermal Hydraulics and no Neutronics, but it was super cool and I feel I have a deeper understanding of the overall field of Nuclear Engineering for having taken it, and I love that.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

People always laugh at us philosophers for having a useless humanities degree, but I learned more about doing math in my graduate mathematical logic courses (taught in the philosophy department by philosophers) than in any math class I ever took.

As a consequence I can probably explain mathematical thinking better than most K-12 teachers now, and math makes so much more sense, it's actually pretty easy to pick up new skills now :negative:.

I loving love philosophy degrees. Like learning how to think and think well is incalculably valuable.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 14, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This is my favorite

I might actually go print this out huge and tape it to my boxing bag.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

:effort: The shakiness of my editing makes it look like the image of Ted Cruz is shaking in some sort of mockery of him.

This is loving art and I love you.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just to clarify, and I'm not asking this to be a gently caress head - Sedan was that rant quoting something or from the heart? Again, serious question because you have a reputation for being trolly and most of your posting I've seen has been fighting with people so I haven't gotten any measure of you.

I want to believe, though.

Also drink chat: Angry Orchard owns really hard. Cinnful Apple is like drinking an amazing cinnamon apple pie

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 16, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Front-running?

(I don't know the term)

E: nm Wikipedia explained it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 16, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know why I keep seeing federal buildings with flags at half mast around San Francisco today? I haven't been able to find anything

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not sure if this answers your question, but

http://www.dailyflagstatus.com/14.html

No dice, but thanks! That's a good resource.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

That was beautiful, friend comrade.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Jeedy Jay posted:

"False flag!":freep:

They would alternate between that and "if they had been armed they could have defended themselves"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's believed that when they found out McCain's family connection, and thus value, they took extra care with him because regardless of what info he did or did not have he was going to be rather valuable alive. In 2008 when people thought it'd be McCain vs Hilary there was a lot of huffing(of glue) on the right and Talk Radio about how Clinton had dug up dirt on him to paint him as selling out the country as a POW or whatever. You know, something that certainly would not have a chance at backfiring horribly because holy poo poo are you seriously attacking a political opponent for being tortured by the Viet Cong?

And so continues the Republican tradition of doing horrible things then accusing the Left of doing it :smith:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

This is disingenuous beyond belief, even for the Right. Jesus loving christ

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

I don't know about for billionaires, but for "normal" rich people a lot of it has to do with stupidity and spite. Anecdote ahoy.

Before Obama was elected back in 2008, I was talking to a local business owner who "just knew" that taxes were going to skyrocket under Obama, and that "anyone who makes over $250,000 was going to have whatever they made over that confiscated," and so they were going to limit their own business to making $250,000 a year no matter what. After pointing out that this was ludicrous and there was no evidence of this anywhere, I asked them what they really thought the worst case scenario was under Obama. They said, taxes go up 50% from where they are right now. We quickly did the math and though I forget the exact numbers, if they went out of their way to limit themselves to just $250k, they were going to end up forgoing ~$70,000 in profits to avoid ~$10,000 in taxes. When I pointed out this didn't make any sense (and btw, the lady had NO IDEA how marginal tax rates worked despite being so wealthy) she said something I have never and will never forget:

"Well, I might be $70k down, but at least it's not going to help anybody who doesn't deserve it. gently caress everyone but me."

The beating heart and motive force of the religion of conservatism, right there. gently caress everyone but me. Christ.

Conservatism is literally the 'crabs in a bucket' school of political thought. It's just spite, all the way down.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Gunchat doesn't kill threads, shitposters kill threads.

(gently caress off with gun chat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - George S. Patton

You fucker I was going to post this :argh:

• Locked thread