Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I forgot what a hilarious light show the A-10 puts out if you turn the countermeasures to automatic instead of semi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, I cannot bomb for the life of me in the F5.

Rockets? Most of the time! Guns? I can hit shoft targets enough to kill them on a pass.

Bombs? Took me 36 bombs to hit a warehouse. Granted this was dropping 4 and then 5 on ripple each strike. The ripple interval feels so short, which I think is part of the problem since distance is my issue.

DCS Liberation seems neat though, just flew the mission to take out a warehouse and ended up killing an Mi-8 with guns and damaging another before the Mig-21s forced me out of the area. Followed in a bunch of F4s who launched a massive amount of AGM45s. The F5s just flew straight in to engage the Migs though, and all got SA2'd

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

my kinda ape posted:

Put the bombs on a timer and skip bomb them into the side of the building

Absolutely would if I could. I used to do this in IL2: 1946 and it was great for taking out long narrow ships.

Sagebrush posted:

Welcome to bombing before CCIP computers.

If you follow the reticle depression settings and bombing tables in the Chuck's Guides religiously, you'll be pretty accurate. If you aren't doing that, it's basically just a guess. When you look up the ratios for dumb bombs used in real life it's something absurdly low like 6% of bombs actually hitting close enough to put the target out of commission.

Thank you! I'll check that out. I think that was what the video I watched was based on.

Tippis posted:

The trick to F-5 bombing is: only ever use Snake Eyes; manual depression to 100 mils; longest ripple time; fly over at 500' AGL and start dropping when the thing is on the thing. You may blow up, but you may also occasionally hit something.

Or use GBU-12s with someone else lasing.

...I do need to get in under the SA2s on this next strike...

Edit:
So I let the AI try and handle the last remaining hangar at the location where I got 3 of 4 buildings. 2 F-5Es couldn't do it. 2 B-52s just flat out missed with an entire line of bombs.

Can rockets kill hangars? I was going to fly CAS on my next one tomorrow, so hoping I can take that out too.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 27, 2021

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

bgreman posted:

A bunch of DCS modules are on sale on Steam this weekend and there's speculation that the weekly newsletter will include a sale at the DCS Store as well. Just picked up Persian Gulf, Supercarrier, and the Hornet.

How is there not an F-4 Module?! I see Belsimtek is working on one, but man that feels like it should already be in here.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

power crystals posted:

Has Eagle said anything about the F-4 since they cancelled it to do the F-16 instead?

I'm also still mad the F-15E went to RAZBAM.

Not that I see which is super sad. I would kill for a lineup of Vietnam era planes. A4, A-37, OV-10, F-4, F-5, MiG 17, 19, 21, etc. I just love the crappy missiles you can't trust mixed with dumb bombs/rockets with some precision munitions coming in.

Speaking of missiles, I went through and set payloads for DCS Liberation on a 1965 US vs Russia and accidentally gave the MiG-21 the R13R. Which is apparently a decent semi-active radar homing missile. The AI F-5s just fly straight at them to start a turn fight and keep getting dunked on. The AIM-9B is hilarious though. Loud tone, good lock, hold uncage, hold release, and just flies straight off the rail and misses the MiG-19 that is slowly drifting left. Also great when it decides to take out the sun. I've killed more MiG's with guns now since I switched from the P-5, so I'm getting the full 9B experience.

I still can't bomb for poo poo, but at least I can sometimes kill armored things if I ripple 5 500 pounders.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

uwaeve posted:

I’ve asked a bit on Discord and gotten some good answers but figured I’d try here as well.

Background: currently play on “advanced beginner” 2015 era hardware, 970 etc. have been on 1440 on low settings and it’s workable. Have never looked into high refresh rate monitors or VR but I’m splashing out on a prebuilt computer and I’m trying to quantify the difference between a 3080 and 3090.
It will be driving a reverb g2, and probably a new monitor. What are my expectations for the difference between 3090 and 3080 for things like the reverb, 4K, 4K at higher refresh rates, 5k (I have the 5k LG monitor for Mac for work)? Sort of assuming I can get “great” performance out of anything 1440 with these cards.

Basically if it’s diminishing returns where the extra cost gets me from 70 to 75 FPS I will probably pass, but if it makes the difference between the VR being a stuttering wreck vs silky smooth it may be worth it.

Note I’m not married to ULTRA SETTINGs everywhere, I’m ok turning some cosmetic stuff down. Like tree density or whatever, I don’t need bragging rights about my slider positions. Would like to keep stuff like AA and things that make the cockpit legible in VR though.

I’d heard multiplayer servers can be rough as well, not sure if the different cards will help with that.

Don’t know if I’m ever going to go higher end again, so want to make sure I don’t miss the boat on this one.

The difference between a 3080 and a 3090 is minimal and only worth it if the price is close.

The difference between a 970 and a 3080 is huge.

This is assuming you can get a 3080 at a reasonable price in the prebuilt. If not, the 3090 becomes an option as it is the least scalped card, and you have a chance of getting it at MSRP.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Speaking about bricks.

I just ordered a Virpil CM3 to replace my X52 throttle. Funny enough I never had a single problem with that throttle, but it only has one hat, one mini stick, some fairly useless dials, and like 6 buttons total. The rubber coating started coming off a few years ago and I took it off. The stick I had to clean the rudder pot a few times over like a decade and I did some magnet mod shortly after I got it.

I replaced the stick a bit ago with a Gladiator NXT and it's been fantastic, and got Crosswind pedals. Did you helicopters dont just spin uncontrollably on takeoff? Who knew.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Popete posted:

Apparently there is a free trial of the Mi-24 going on right now? I'll give it a shot and see how it is.

Theres a free two week trial of all modules. Cant remember if it was once each module ever, or once each module per year?

Only on the standalone app IIRC, so not on steam version.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
F-5 is the most fun plane to fly in on strike missions, unload like 76 rockets on a target, and do absolutely no damage. Also fun is dropping 9 500lbs bombs for no effect on a single APC.

Then swing around and knock it out with guns

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yessss! Now I can have my DCS Liberation cold war campaign with the F4 playable.

Looking forward to dunking on Mig 21s at Mach 2.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Animal posted:

I don't mind paying for two sufficiently different variants of the F-4 as long as they are not $70 each.

Well then I have great news for you!

They'll probably be $80

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

mlmp08 posted:

F-5 is the pluckiest little guy but SOME PEOPLE fill every mission with boring rear end vipers and hornets.

F-5 is the best plane to fly low over an airfield at transonic speeds and proceed to drop a string of bombs that hits nothing.

Or better yet refuses to drop at all since you left the jettison select on from when you dropped your tanks.

I've killed more armored vehicles with guns than bombs, and the guns are not that good.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

CaptainEO posted:

I have a Gunfighter stick, Mongoos throttle, and VKB T-Rudder pedals. Super happy with all three. Massive upgrades from a T.16000M.

Same but crosswinds for rudder pedals.

Night and day from my old X52.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bedurndurn posted:

How much older is the FA18 in the game compared to the A-10? Managing ground targets feels like an old Nokia to the A-10c2's early iPhone.

Flies like a loving dream though.

The major modernization for both of the models in game were 1987 for the F/A-18C and 2005 for the A-10C. So you're going from a NES to a Xbox 360 in terms of tech.

The air frames themselves for both could be as old as the 70s.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bedurndurn posted:

How does the Standby Attitude Indicator work in the KA-50? I'm out here having a nice normal flight and I look over and that fucker is rolled 90 degrees right pointing at the sky.

Ssssh, it's sleeping.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

But what does your heart tell you?

That they will simultaneously release an IFF system that will take 6 out of 8 cores for no obvious reason.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah even the fast alignment or align as I fly stuff sucks.

Just let me skip the wait so I can go crash into my first target dammit!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skooma512 posted:

The new head of Microprose is pretty much doing this. Not to make the best combat flight sim, but at least to push sim and sim-lite titles.

I have bought all of them and played none of them.

The curse of being an adult really.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

Purely out of curiosity, what actual process is happening during that 8 minute or whatever countdown in real life? Like what mechanism is taking place? Is some sensor sampling a bajillion times to calibrate or something?

The inertial navigation system is figuring out where it is by first figuring out where it isnt.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I still use opentrack with my PSEye camera and a home made wireless track clip for Arma and other games like it that don't support VR.

If it has VR though, guaranteed I'll be doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The F5 is a blast to land on short fields, cause you get decent speed brakes and a cute lil' chute.