Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The best fishing was Fire Emblem: Three Houses because it was both piss-easy, and so abstracted that it had literally nothing to do with actual fishing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I'd like to find the fellow that coded the AI in Pokemon Shield's Dynamax Raids and give him a firm shake. My five-year-old has a better grasp of battle strategy than this.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I hit a mission in BT where it was a few medium mechs, and icons for vehicles. Turns out a bunch of those vehicles were SRM carriers, and had 6 SRM4s or something on them, and they could basically drive straight up, fire everything and have a good chance of crippling a mech. They also all got to go before I did.

Kinda stopped playing after that.

Same, except it was LRM carriers, which could fire at me from across the map if even a single enemy mech had line of sight, and knocked one mech down every turn. Brutal.

Battletech is really difficult for me to get into because it's intentionally designed for some mission objectives to be near-unbeatable, and for some mission difficulty levels to be outright lies that are actually like 2 skulls harder than they claim to be. But my idiot lizard brain wants that goddamn serotonin and refuses to leave an objective unticked, resulting in not the best experience.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Metroid makes movement options still feel impactful by making them trivialize puzzles in areas you return to. Doesn't open up a lot of new content but there's nothing like space jump / spin jumping through lovely block puzzles.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I loved HZD's combat with KB+M on a PC and I can only imagine how infuriating it would be trying to hit a T-Red elbow with a controller.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

General callout to every time a game lets you answer a question "yes" or "no," but if you say "no" you just get asked again, pretty please, ad infinitum.

Bonus callout to every time a game gives you two dialogue options: "Yes" and "Sure!".

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

The only problem I have is the combat barks the heroes say. On each kill, there is a chance one of your heroes (up to 6) will say something; you know what it's like. Well, that means there might well be 200+ opportunities per night (up to like a dozen per turn) for 1-6 folks to quip one of WAY TOO FEW lines. They're fine lines, don't get me wrong, but holy bones they need to add more lines. Duplicates lines per night are unavoidable; duplicate lines per *attack* are common. I almost just want to email the devs a doc with 300 new barks. Like, the game is so important to me that I'm almost ready to do this completely unprompted just to help improve the game I like.

As a minor side note, the tone of these barks are all over the place. There's no personality/consistency checks, so one guy might say "oh no there are so many! Don't panic!!" Then the next line "I'm an unstoppable god of BLOOD". The game's overall tone is "fighting a nearly-hopeless fight against the end of the world, and we have to be ready to sacrifice our lives to end the threat to humanity"... But there is also a "folks REALLY HATE the mages for ending the world" theme, so the heroes who spend all game defending the mages (fighting alongside them for the same goal) also treat them like poo poo, often out of nowhere since the common barks are so wildly tonally different. (And because the only meaningful interaction with mages is at the end during a victory, where everyone should be celebrating, or at least relieved)

Total War: Warhammer also has pervasive and annoying barks. It also has granular audio settings, letting you separately adjust sound volume for voice and effects. Which is great... except that the unit barks are considered SFX, not 'voice' :negative:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

lol

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Thing dragging down a few games: treating you to a pop quiz about the razor-thin plot, presumably because the writers are pre-emptively mad at you for skipping through boring parts of the game to get to the Good Stuff.

A drag: the latest Pokemon game's quiz at the Elite Four, asking you to remember the details about the various gym leaders. It's not that this one is actually hard, it's just... if you wanted me to remember who the gym leaders were, maybe make them more than just a one-dimensional sketch you only interact with for one battle apiece.

Less of a drag: an event in FTL where a random event will happen on "one of the [x] moons of a planet in the nebula", and you can recruit a crew member if you can answer "How many moons does this planet have?" This one's less annoying to me because FTL does actually have a lot of good flavor, and it's so unabashedly fourth-wall-breaking. Like, there's no way the captain of an actual spaceship isn't just glancing down at their dashboard to say "Five" or whatever, but this is a game, YOU can't do that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cyberpunk was bad and I should be allowed a refund even though I spent 45 hours in it because the main quest was just painfully dumb

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

Yeah, it was good for knowing what I wanted to beeline for.

Making you choose how your guy works before you know how the game works is such an entrenched piece of bullshit that it's not even that game companies are scared to move away from it, it's that the idea of even questioning it doesn't really cross their minds.

I'm still blown away that Starfield included a plastic surgery clinic where you can change literally evety aspect of your appearance, but no brainwash clinic where you can refund your skill points. In a game that is ostensibly about eternal self-reinvention. Just mind boggling.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Really annoying when devs decide a game should have 4 players and only 4 players by making you play with bots. My gaming group is often just 3 of us and it can be frustrating having a bot running around with us, especially when they do stuff like loot items or get stuck. I know L4D and Vermintide is guilty of this and it looks like GTFO has the same problem. Just let us start the game without the bot!

Pokemon's had "raids" for the last two games, which requre 4 pokemon. Can they all be 4 of YOUR dozens and dozens of pokemon, which you sometimes use 2 of at once anyway? Nooooo, gotta be 4 players, at least 2 of whom are statistically gonna be 10 years old.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

tbf I would probably bring the same or maybe a wobbuffet

Yeah the ally builds are still pretty bad. Nothing like an AI using a move that the enemy is invulnerable over and over again. Gives me WoW pubbie flashbacks, and nothing is worth that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cleretic posted:

A lot of this is just a me thing, but: Tears of the Kingdom, the koroks that need to be carried to their friends, have two different problems that crop up for me basically every time:

A: Too cute not to help, I have a weakness for really cute, childish characters in settings that aren't entirely about that. So every time I see them, I have to stop what I'm doing, and figure out what sort of weird contraption they want me to make to reunite these two little guys.

...Except that, B: most of the time, it's just easier to carry them. Sure, cobbling together a car out of available parts and driving to the destination or something is supposed to be faster, and is clearly the intended solution, but there's so many times where it's just so fiddly to do, or the path is too difficult for my dumb-rear end jalopy, that it's just easier to use Ultrahand to pick the guy up and walk. The verticality-based ones are usually immune to this, but they're few and far between.

Honestly, I'm either too smart or too stupid for this game, and I can't tell which, because I feel like I've spent about 70% of this game so far either solving problems with L-shaped wooden structures, most of the other 30% realizing I don't have to build anything and can just walk/climb/glide (possibly while jamming something between rocks as an ersatz bridge).

I found that to be true up until I got a few good Autobuild recipes. One plank with three or four fans and a steering column made moving almost anything in the overworld a breeze, but to your final point, maybe too much of a breeze.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Oxygen, in particular, has AND gates that are 2x2 (characters are 2x1). Why??? Just give me a breadboard so I can have 2000 gates in a 1x1 square. There's no excuse! In these settings computers already explicitly exist!! AAAUGH

I have been experiencing a very depressing flavor of this in one of my favorite games, engineering sandbox game Besiege. There are a few basic automation tools, including a number of sensors, a simple timer, and a logic gate that can take one or two inputs to create an output.

Not only are these blocks pretty large, about half the size of the basic building block... but all of their inputs and outputs have to be bound to actual keys on your keyboard. Modifier keys or multi-key inputs aren't possible, so you're strictly limited to about 100 total inputs or outputs across your entire machine. So if you want to have, say, two OR gates feeding into an AND gate, that requires 7% of your total possible inputs (four for the OR inputs, two more for their outputs to the AND gate, and one for the AND gate's output).

It's ALMOST another fun engineering challenge, because so much of Besiege's charm is dealing with janky fragile blocks to do slapstick combat... but it ends up just being a frustrating and weirdly arbitrary limit.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Are multi-stage bosses not a pretty well-established phenomenon? Like, every 3D Zelda game has multi-phase bosses.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Literally can't imagine feeling that the Twilight Zone poo poo was not far and away the main focus of Control. That's like 80% of the plot and 99.9% of the set dressing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

In Dark Souls (1 at least), the first time you reach a bonfire you LIGHT it, which is different from RESTING AT IT. So if you get through a grueling segment like, say, the Anor Londo Silver Snipers, and then only click the bonfire ONCE, your progress is not saved and you have to do it again when you get inevitably murked.

I can't remember this being a thing in the later Soulslikr games, but also in those games you can warp between any bonfire you've lit anyway.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

Nobody ever really cared that you couldn't jump in e.g. alien isolation, they cared that a one foot tall one foot wide row of luggage was presented as a (literally) insurmountable obstacle.

There are some roots in a few places in Dark Souls 1 that completely block your character and seem to be literally only a few inches high. DS1 even has a jump, but it's more of a sprinting long-jump, and it does not help you clear these obstacles, so you end up doing a sprinting long-jump that does not clear a tiny tree root a real person would barely trip over. You just hover for a second and roll in place next to it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Does that make the puzzle too obvious? Maybe Blow thinks so, but it makes the puzzle accessible, so who gives a poo poo?

It sounds like "what is the puzzle" was the first puzzle that needed to be solved, so I kinda get it, but not overly.

I bounced hard off of The Witness because it seemed impenetrable, whereas I was strongly addicted to Baba Is You until I'd 100%ed it, not least because the main objective was always clear, even if the way to get there was not. There is really only one time in Baba that it does the "what even IS the puzzle???" puzzle, and it's to unlock the second half of the game.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

If you liked Baba, play Patrick's Parabox. Very similiar aesthetic and vibe, although a much more focused and less variable ruleset.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I play Baba is You in fits and spurts with months of putting it down in frustration in between, and I genuinely do not remember if I’ve gotten to that/figured it out or not.

Hint: There are two levels with a block called "LEVEL." You can do something cool with those.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

General shout-out to a thing dragging many games down, which is not letting me rebind controls. I know this is a relatively recent thing, but when I play older games it often bugs me. Right now I'm playing War of the Monsters, a gem of my youth, and one of the three preset control schemes is one of the most buck-wild things I've ever seen.

On the one hand, it's pretty progressive for a fighting game from 2003 to have attacks on the shoulder buttons. On the other, this control scheme doesn't use ANY of the face buttons, but it does map block and "action" (something you will be pressing CONSTANTLY to pick up debris and climb buildings) to L3 and R3, before those were even the accepted names of pressing in the sticks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I finally got around to playing Horizon Forbidden West, and man, I can see why gamers have started to get mad about yellow paint. In the tutorial area there seem to be FOUR different ways that the game will hold you hand about wayfinding:
  • Ladders and grapple points are painted yellow
  • You can use your scanner to highlight through walls
  • You get a goddamn notification arrow on your screen whenever you are near a grapple point
  • Aloy or Her Friend are constantly shouting to each other, including things they couldn't possibly know. (enters room) "Looks like the next door is locked." Does it? does it really?
Any one of these would feel a little heavy-handed, but having ALL FOUR makes me feel like I'm watching a TV show more than playing a game. And this is with the supposedly "minimal" level of guidance on, I cannot begin to fathom what "Guided" mode would actually feel like.

I'm probably just getting whiplash because I've been playing Soulslikes all years, but uh, jeez.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mr E posted:

I don't care too much about the yellow paint but I would like an option to remove it especially when it's overdone like in the RE4 remake which I liked otherwise. I did not need every single box, barrel, shootable thing to open doors, and ladder to be splashed with yellow paint. There has to be another way to indicate something is interactable as games become more "realistic" in their graphics - I'm thinking how Half Life 2 did it with supply boxes being a different model than other boxes so you didn't feel the need to smash every box.

I think this is why it was so egregious to me in HZW, was that they DID force me to select between "explorer" mode and "guided" mode, and this is still what "explorer" was like. I had to triple-check that I hadn't picked the wrong setting.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Then there are also achievements for using hints on every level, and skips on every level. You can at least burn though those pretty quickly but it's still pointless busy work.

Lol at the idea of a "just skip the entire game" acievement.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

SubNat posted:

The only acceptable dye system in games is where you get a dye/skin/effect once, and it unlocks it for unlimited use and application.

Different colors, materials, effects, etc are fun, but most games have terrible systems where you have to buy a bunch of dye and apply it to individual pieces of armor etc. (Often without the ability to even preview the end result.)
If it's not just a menu where I have access to my 'silver, azure, chainmail, animated flaming hot cheetos' colors/effects and can easily assign them to any of my gear then you've all hosed up, devs.

One of the few games I can recall with a system like that was probably Guild Wars 2, where dyes permanently unlocked that color/material for that character, and you could just assign them at will.
This post was sponsored by me remembering how disappointed I was when I bought my first vial of dye in Baldur's Gate 3.

The only acceptable dye system is one where you put your dye in a big cauldron, and then get dropped into it through a trapdoor, thereby dyeing your entire outfit simultaneously.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There is always gonna be a massive gulf between how the narrative and the gameplay handle death, and while I wouldn't say BG3's writers always manage it gracefully - particularly in Karlach's case - trying to bridge that gap rather than gloss over it is always gonna make it way worse. Would Ketheric's story have been better if they'd tried to explain why he couldn't just buy a Scroll of Revivify for Isobel rather than sell his soul to the god of necromancy? No, that would've sucked

Counterpoint, if your narrarive hinges on not understanding how the world even works, it is at best clumsy and at worst turns all your characters into ignorant morons.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Yeah From's approach to sidequests is a major drag on all of the Souls games, it's the one thing I'd change about them. At least it's in a game that wants you to play it through multiple times, so having a guide on NG+ is viable, but it is annoying and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Tacking onto BG3 level cap chat: it bugs me when a game holds back certain mechanics or abilities until you've 100% completed the game.

Pikmin 4 has an RPG element, where you give your trusty canine companion new abilities, getting points each time you rescue someone. The final skill requires you to rescue EVERYONE, meaning you can't actually get it until you've beaten the final boss, in which case you likely have almost nothing left to do in the story mode. There's also a challenge mode I haven't played yet, which unlocks the ability to recruit the last two rare type of Pikmin in story mode... but at that point I will have done literally everything there is to do in the game. If there's literally nothing for me to do with the new ability, it's not really a reward, is it?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

It extremely Bothered me when I unlocked the ability to directionally swarm pikmin from the first two games because it came from a quest that requires completing almost all of the game. That was functionality I was wishing for the whole game but just assumed they hadn’t include it in P4

Turned out they did include it and just chose not to let you use it almost at all!

Lol what the gently caress. I must have missed this because I never even saw it. What quest was this??

e: Ok looked it up. I didn't realize any of these side quests rewarded something other than money, so I stopped turning them in when I had gotten all the money upgrades and had no use for cash anymore. Lol. Lmao.

Muscle Tracer has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Mar 18, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've said this before and probably in this very thread but even though Nintendo generally makes some good games their post-game challenges generally suck dick. Give me some midpoints motherfuckers.

Actually saying that Wonder did have some checkpoints in its marathon level so I guess they're getting better.

The Wonder one sucked in a different way, because I only ever used like 3 of the powers in the main game, so having to learn all of them from scratch was way way harder than it needed to be.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

My favorite hosed-up From character quest is the one in Bloodborne related to Gascoigne's daughters.

Every permutation of their quest ends with one or both of them dying; the best possible outcome is to just not engage at all, and have them just 'disappear' as the night progresses, but presumably suffer the same fate as every other house in Yharnam. Really drives home what a hosed-up situation the city is in.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

- one of the "safehouses" turns anyone you send there into monsters, this isn't exactly telegraphed

I loved this one in particular. Who are you gonna trust, the nice lady at a place with "clinic" in the name, or the cackling ghoul who's weirdly specific about how he likes people who are alive?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

I like how there is a way to figure out what's going on ahead of time, but nearly everyone is going to miss it their first play through.

This is from memory, so some of it may be off:

The lady running the clinic gets replaced at some point, but it's hard to tell because you talk to her though a door.

When you meet her, she gives you a healing item, but her dialogue only really updates if you use it and come back for another.
She eventfully warms up to you and becomes friendly.

But at some point, she starts acting differently, which is a big hint that the woman on the other side of the door is someone different, and she murdered the first woman.

If you don't keep coming back and replacing the unique healing item, you'll never notice this.

I'd say there's also some unmissable tells, namely that the deeply horrifying opening cutscene happens at the clinic, and also the medicine they are giving you is literally human blood, but that's all likely to get lost in the haze of "It's a game! Healing items! Yay!"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

Too be fair:

While it's true the overall practice of blood healing may have caused one....maybe two small, minor, don't worry about it okay, issues.
The actual act of giving your blood to another is usually framed as a kind and even intimate act, and it's heavily implied she's giving you her own blood.

So within the context of the games world, her giving you vials of human blood isn't really a tell that something evil is going down.
If anything it's perfectly normal and even kind that a woman working in a clinic while poo poo is going down is willing to help out a hunter while most other people are hiding in their homes.

I guess that's true, since there are multiple people willing to just give you their blood directly.

Oxxidation posted:

in addition to that, the opening cutscene isn't at the same clinic. sort of. it's not iosefka's in any case

This doesn't make any sense at all to me, what makes you think that?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

the_steve posted:

It's gonna sound dumb, but what really turned me off from FO4 was when I was trying to put together my first little base. I was putting down fencing, and it was bad enough that the area is asymmetrical, but there was this one section where the fence would NOT map to the ground. No matter what I did, the loving thing would decide to pop a wheelie and jut up into the air at a 45 degree angle. I got fed up and decided to ragequit for the night, and then never got around to picking it back up.

Exactly the same experience with Starfield and shipbuilding. Janky nonsense that is a huge "selling point" and ultimately barely even connects to any other game systems.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Honestly by this point I believe that if Bethesda had made New Vegas instead of 3 people would bitch about it for violating the series' continuity so Bethesda could revive a faction canonically dead to spawn a loving Elder Scrolls Imperial knockoff with Caesar's Legion. Plus you can go to Las Vegas in Fallout 1 and it's a bombed out ruin, certainly not spared from the nukes by not-Tony Stark, Bethesda, quit loving up. They even hosed up Interplay's story by having the Brotherhood go to war with the NCR for some reason so they could turn the BoS into another Vault grr grr robble robble

Do you think 3 doesn't deserve the criticism it gets, or NV deserves criticism it doesn't get? What's the thesis here?

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s funny that fo4 has so many problems with the plot and base building aspects that nobody ever even comments on how abysmal the leveling/perk system was

as I recall it was barely worse than the system in 3, and nowhere near as bad as the abomination that is Starfield's leveling system.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The FO4 rubblecore stuff is I think most egregious because of the settlement-builder. You start off building things out of repurposed sheet metal, but eventually you can make structures out of concrete and even futuristic, totally new-looking structures and furniture with the vault tech. That makes it all the more jarring that, like, you can't make any of the houses in the starting town new-looking, you can just clear some of them away, and nobody else in the entire world seems to have discovered any technology that isn't fundamentally salvage. It's at least understandable if they say "the knowledge to make new structures and technology was lost," but it clearly ISN'T lost, because YOU can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The funniest execution of fast travel is in the GTA games. Like, sure, you can call a cab in GTA5, and I think you could take the subway in GTA4, but like, the whole point of that game is traveling, what are you even doing.