Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RyokoTK posted:

Because the way you put it makes it sounds like whiny pissbaby poo poo that no one should care about.

So it sounds like the thread's reason for existing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Ninja Theory actually has a better track record than the DMC franchise, since before it was handed over to them it only had 1.5 good games across four different installments while Ninja Theory has never made a bad game.

Their Journey to the West game was good?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

What in the world are you going on about.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

He's talking about your Dante mop hair freak out.

That was incredibly far from a freakout, actually. And holy poo poo these walls of text.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Good to have it confirmed that classic Dante cares about his personal hygiene. That's always something I took for in a videogame protagonist.

Well, he's gotta. White hair would show dirt pretty easily, and he went shirtless for an entire game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You're going to have to explain to me what was lovely about Twin Snakes. Is it just that the game is a remake?

I think the people who didn't like Twin Snakes didn't like it made the cutscenes a whole lot more wild and silly, like Snake kick-jumping off a rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoxMYHpMqT4

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Man, gently caress everyone involved in letting 'Don't get hit!' pass as a rule in Master Quest maps.

A "Don't get hit" requirement in a Warriors game????

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Persona 4 makes it very clear that Naoto absolutely is not trans.

Yeah. Naoto just worked in a hugely male-dominated field, and felt like she wouldn't get any respect because she is a girl, which is why she presented herself as a boy while on the job. Her Shadow took that to an extreme conclusion (become a boy so her peers would treat her as an equal) because that is what Shadows do.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Len posted:

Oh I forgot all about lightning being a horrible mechanic in Breath of the Wild. Hope you didn't like your weapons because gently caress you put that poo poo away.

Throw your swords at goblins right before the lightning strikes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Another random Problem With Video Games: there has not, to my knowledge, been a CCG/RPG hybrid quite like Pokemon TCG on the Game Boy Color. Sure, there's dozens of Yu Gi Oh games, but they're all kinda trash and there's nothing there except the card game itself.

There was Magi-nation, which also had a real card game. It was a full, save the world jrpg but with cards.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Weapon stats have been a thing, but I think the full RPG skill trees debuted in Origins.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

the other guy stated repeatedly that they didn't read the tutorials, actually

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Also if it actually taught you how to play the game instead of spitting reams of tutorials at you in 6-point font.

????

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Something that was acknowledged but she decided to try and make a point by continuing to post about it.

At some point the issue is the player, not the game.

Only after other people continued to post about it, while being assholes about it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Given the game is funded by microtransactions, you'd think they'd have one for this of all things.

I mean yes, it'd mean new character models but they already have armour that can fit to any of the character models so if the female Duelist was just a palette swap of one of the female classes, that'd still be good.

That's what the oldass MMO SUN did when it finally got rid of genderlocks (long after the English version shut down, of course). The alternate genders of the classes were just the male/female models from the most similar class, since they used the same armor items in the first place.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Caufman posted:

I support a revival of Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego games.

Don't forget the Magic School Bus games.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

scarycave posted:

I don't know if it felt better to play in 3D -

It didn't. It kept the card battle mechanics, but threw them into full 3d environments, complete with having to move the camera and platforming. It worked much better on the GBA because it was a 2d sidescroller.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

When has this ever happened? Hard mode in Metroid obviously doesn't count.

Here's one: Wolf Link.

Records the amount of health you had when you cleared the Twilight Princess rerelease's bonus dungeon, and let's you summon a Wolf Link in Breath of The Wild with that number of hearts. It's the only "permanent" summonable pet in the entire game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Lyrai posted:

And as the game goes on, gets more and more useless because it never gains any armor or attack. By midgame he's useless because you're facing enemies who just whomp him once and whoop he's gone.

Useful at endgame or not, it was a part of the game only accessible by buying an entire separate game and an Amiibo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It came with Twilight Princess. And anyways it wasnt something required, or even important at all, it was a bonus. It's like when games give you something for having save data from another game.

The point was that it is a unique feature tied to an Amiibo, whether that Amiibo was included with another game does not matter. If Wolf Link wasn't the ONLY permanent ally/pet in the entire game, it wouldn't matter. Like Epona is in the good category of bonuses, because other horses exist.

Other games with save data bonuses are usually cosmetic, just some extra items, or a unique kind of pet (get a tiny Commander Shepard, in a game that has pets, if you have a Mass Effect save, for example). They don't usually give you a kind of thing that does not exist without the bonus.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sounds like Don't Starve, unless that becomes terrible later on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Leal posted:

Serious answer: Reaver in Fable 2 and 3. Its even worse in 3 as he manages to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

And you can't even TRY to do anything about the fucker. He's one of the most evil people in the setting, and he never comes close to facing any consequences.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Just make a Batman game where the main character isn't Batman. Batman gets captured by someone as Bruce and held somewhere he can't get gadgets or messages out \

So kinda the inverse of Batman Beyond, where Bruce put on his Bat Armor to rescue Terry?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Dante spent all of DMC3 shirtless (under an open coat, but), though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

because he's not the least bit subtle about how creepy he is.

He approached Ellen Paige with a homemade photo album of her, with pictures at every stage of her life.

Just let that sink in.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The quarantined-soldiers you have to execute in MGSV may not have been major characters, but it does get to the feels having to personally gun down dozens of sick, terrified people who worshipped your rear end.

While they salute you, ready and willing to die for the team's survival, and the main theme starts to play. :smith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Don't ever play Ultimate Vault Hunter, ever. Ever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I read the entire Silmarillion, because it was in my last high school's library. :colbert:

:negative:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My Irrationally Irritating moment with Shadow of Mordor/War is that they're inexplicably Lord of the Rings games. They keep trying to push these wacky and goofy orcs, and it completely clashes with the dour and grim visuals. And on the flip side, the constant self-seriousness kind of hampers how properly crazy they can go with the orcs.

Imagine if it was done with Warhammer orcs. That's a much better fit, tonally and visually.

Even in the LOTR books, the Orcs weren't just KILLMAIMBURN. They had social structures and settlements (Goblin Town from the Hobbit), they laughed and sang, and were generally intelligent (they rivaled dwarves in mining, and knew smithing and medicine).

They were pretty much proto-Warhammer Orks in some ways. They even tinkered with machinery and explosives like 40k's Orks (Goblin Town, again).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Other way around. Liquid Snake had the recessive genes, which is what motivates him to kill Solid Snake and prove himself as the real heir to Big Boss.

No, Solid actually was the "inferior" clone. The very end of the credits has Ocelot explaining that he was lying to Liquid the entire time, about Liquid being the "inferior" clone. "He believed himself to be the inferior one. .... The inferior clone won after all."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Uh to gently caress them? Duh!

This literally gets mentioned in-game, if you're just joking. There are actual android brothels in-universe, and Sex Android is an actual manufactured type of android. :shepface:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Play Monster Hunter World

That's not an open world RPG with magic, cyclops-climbing, and lighting yourself on fire to hug goblins.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Bethesda making games about white guilt now

Obsidian made New Vegas.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

There is a map, a very detailed one, even. Also not having a flashlight is a bonus, considering Doom 3 and I don't recall any particular dark places you have to go.

Yea, didn't see any places where you couldn't see everything that was going on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Safeword posted:

Until the sequel, at which point they can man armies strong enough to rival a combined effort from the rest of the galaxy.

3 was so dumb.

Cerberus was brainwashing and experimenting on refugees in 3. You straight up go to one of their "refugee centers" and see this. That is where their new army came from.

Also Cerberus was all being Indoctrinated by the Reaper-tech they were studying (and then using in the cybernetic enhancements), which explains the change in the organization's mindset.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ME3's combat was a lot of fun. There's a reason people sunk so much time into the multiplayer.

To further illustrate how much time people put into ME3's multiplayer: It is still being played, 6 years later.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sorry you don't appreciate Poppi's sweet dance skills.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Their god played Metal Gear Rising and wanted in on the foot sword.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Console War....Console War never changes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

It's weird that savepoints are even a thing still. It's 2018, let me save when and wherever, into as many slots as my memory can support.

You can save almost anywhere in Automata, if you aren't currently in a fight, just by opening the menu.

The save points are basically manual checkpoints. They only have a "quick save" that automatically overwrites the current save file.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

The part of the story I hated the most was when Citra straight up rapes the main character after putting him on a drug trip, and his first response is something along the lines of "i love you", then deciding to fight for her cause.

There was just too much rape going on in that game. Like holy poo poo tone it down guys. Did any member of the group of idiot friends NOT get raped or threatened with rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I genuinely hate the healing-system in 3 and 4. You can hold up to 8 syringes, but I never, ever hit the max amount. If you want to recover from a little-damage you have to use an entire syringe, instead of going through a finger-pulling animation. Regenerating-health would have been better.

More games should take that part of Dungeon Siege. Only use as much of that healing juice as you need, and put the cap back on.